Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft and Twisted Metal Get Dated, Are Otherwise Nothing Alike

• 83 results
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

Two notable video game release date reveals, one single post. In the last 24 hours, both Minecraft and the new Twisted Metal’s release dates were etched in stone. The latter will see a release on the PS3 this October 4, 2011, while the former will exit beta and become a real video game on November 11, 2011, the same day The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim hits store shelves. 

Minecraft creator “Notch” announced his game’s release date on his blog, a place where he also wrote a bit about final release expectations. Notch figures that the final build of the game won’t be much different than it is now. The launch, according to Notch, is just providing “some kind of goal for [Mojang] to work towards.” In other words, don’t expect wild updates or new mechanics on the day of “release.” 

No Caption Provided

Twisted Metal, a game that isn’t being sold before its official release, has always been slated for Fall 2011. This October 4 date fits in that window pretty snug, eh?
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

Two notable video game release date reveals, one single post. In the last 24 hours, both Minecraft and the new Twisted Metal’s release dates were etched in stone. The latter will see a release on the PS3 this October 4, 2011, while the former will exit beta and become a real video game on November 11, 2011, the same day The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim hits store shelves. 

Minecraft creator “Notch” announced his game’s release date on his blog, a place where he also wrote a bit about final release expectations. Notch figures that the final build of the game won’t be much different than it is now. The launch, according to Notch, is just providing “some kind of goal for [Mojang] to work towards.” In other words, don’t expect wild updates or new mechanics on the day of “release.” 

No Caption Provided

Twisted Metal, a game that isn’t being sold before its official release, has always been slated for Fall 2011. This October 4 date fits in that window pretty snug, eh?
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

HYPPEEE for Minecraft

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By MeatSim

I will be playing Skyrim that day not Minecraft.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

Might have to buy a PS3 for Twisted Metal. World Tour is one of my favourite games of all time.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Mystyr_E

I'd rather buy Skyrim over Minecraft...and maybe I'll get Twisted Metal

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By damswedon

Minecraft is now eligible for GOTY.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By niall_sg1

I hope Minecraft does add some crazy stuff before the release date. Else they might as well release it now,  if all the release date means is an increase in price. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Twisted Metal... flop of the year?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By falconer

If nothing is changing with Minecraft, then... what the fuck? Seriously, he needs to stop throwing around words like "beta" and "final release".

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ALavaPenguin

Well the way he describes it, is he is going to keep updating it with new things as they head towards the release date [a long way off, and lots more to add he recently mentioned a few things that he is adding in the next few weeks] and after it comes out, he will keep on updating it like normal.  From reading it it sounds like he mostly means there isn't going to be anything like on Nov 11 Here is tons of new content, nor is it going to be the end.  He basically says it is just going to keep being updated like normal regardless of release date existing or not.  It is more of just a general goal.  So should be plenty of awesome stuff being added.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaggyChu said:
    " If nothing is changing with Minecraft, then... what the fuck? Seriously, he needs to stop throwing around words like "beta" and "final release". "
    If Notch doesn't move the game off the java platform I'm not commiting, i can't play for more than 5 mins before java fails and crashes minecraft, so im forced to play on the browser. Bring on Skyrim.
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By recroulette

I should be hyped for Twisted Metal...yet I feel nothing.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Nictel

I'm going to laugh if nothing changes on release and Notch just goes on and retire from his money. Funny, I always thought you couldn't make money with Java anymore.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By swamplord666

in all honesty, minecraft is an awesome game, but it needs a focus. some kind of end goal. I've purchased it anyway so it changes little but still...

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @RecSpec:  The new trailer turned me off of the game completely.
    GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By GValo

If Minecraft has a release date and actually appears in stores, will Ryan be forced to call it a game for once? I agree with swamplord though, it needs a focus of some sort.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MisterMouse

I completely forgot twisted metal was coming out...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaggyChu said:
    " If nothing is changing with Minecraft, then... what the fuck? Seriously, he needs to stop throwing around words like "beta" and "final release". "
    150% agree. Great game its fun but honestly there have been no major game play improvements in the past 6 months. The fact he explains that MC will basically be the same game just without a Beta Tag next to it tells me they honestly have no idea what direction they are going.
    Vaile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Vaile
    @Meatsim said:
    " I will be playing Skyrim that day not Minecraft. "
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Driadon
    @Jmangino said:
    " @ShaggyChu said:
    150% agree. Great game its fun but honestly there have been no major game play improvements in the past 6 months. The fact he explains that MC will basically be the same game just without a Beta Tag next to it tells me they honestly have no idea what direction they are going. "
    I thought that was obvious from the little documentary thing 2 Player Productions did. They showed off some of how they go about making the game, and it's very much a trial-and-error iterative process. This is only a good thing for a game like Minecraft, it allows for the community as a whole to really push for what they believe the final game should look like instead of just the developers. Hell, it's that exact reasoning that has caused Minecraft to become such a big success as it is.
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aronman789

Looks like Notch is trying to take the November 11 spotlight, and sadly Minecraft has so many followers that it will. 

I hate Notch.
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Twisted Metal is so far away, but I want it noooooooow!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By EuanDewar

If you spend that that day playing Minecraft instead of skyrim you are a very bad person, up there with people who fart on trains.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rox360
    @Aronman789 said:

" Looks like Notch is trying to take the November 11 spotlight, and sadly Minecraft has so many followers that it will. 

I hate Notch.
    "
     Er, how will it? All Minecraft's followers already have Minecraft. Anyone they'd want to have Minecraft, they will convince to buy it before the "launch" date, because it'll go up in price at that point. I suspect Minecraft will get among the lowest amount of purchases in recent history on that day.

I hate you.
    fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#25  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @ShaggyChu said:
    Apart from the thing about him selling a million copies of  the game during it's alpha and beta phase, I don't see what's wrong with going from a beta to final release?
    Traditionally you wouldn't do any huge changes in features from beta to final release, that's what you do during alpha. The beta is about ironing out the bugs and adjusting the balance and that stuff, and Minecraft is getting quite stable, so I'd think it could go into release candidate and final release.

Isn't the problem more with all the other devs that have replaced the demo or even final release with beta's so close to release that any issues that appear there can't have any influence on the final product, as it's already been sent out for printing, and then you get products that can barely be called beta software sold in stores?
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rattle618
    @Jmangino said:
    " @ShaggyChu said:
    150% agree. Great game its fun but honestly there have been no major game play improvements in the past 6 months. The fact he explains that MC will basically be the same game just without a Beta Tag next to it tells me they honestly have no idea what direction they are going. "
    I'll tell you the direction they are aiming for: Steam. That's all that is left for them to do for this game, actually call it a finished product and start selling it massively, and they better get to it cause the hole thing minecraft had going for it is fading away.
    Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Portis

Sweet, we can buy Minecraft.

...Wait.
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Agent47
    @EuanDewar: Honestly this comment gave me a good laugh from it's honesty.
    Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pop

Awesome! at least minecraft gets rid of the beta title GB game of the year :P nah jk. would be funny if Mass Effect 3 would be announced same day xD. My mind would EXPLODE!

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By Deusoma
    @Jmangino said:
    "The fact he explains that MC will basically be the same game just without a Beta Tag next to it tells me they honestly have no idea what direction they are going. "
    Appropriately, most Minecraft players have no idea what the hell they're doing at any given time, it's a sandbox game with no main storyline. :P
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm going to see more of the Twisted Metal single player before I make up my mind about a purchase, but I'm optimistic. Black was amazing, and Head-On was a worthy follow-up to 2. It recaptured a lot of the dark humor that was absent in Black.

Frankly, I'll be happy with either direction as long as the game's good. 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sooty
    @RhombusOfTerror said:
    " @ShaggyChu said:
    If Notch doesn't move the game off the java platform I'm not commiting, i can't play for more than 5 mins before java fails and crashes minecraft, so im forced to play on the browser. Bring on Skyrim. "
    Problem with your computer then.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By Yummylee
    @rjayb89 said:
    " HYPPEEE for Minecraft "
    HYPEEE for Twisted Metal!
    Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wikitoups

So I bought minecraft when it was in beta, does that means any updates thats made after nov 11 I will have to pay?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mikemcn

I will play Skyrim only long enough to be able to build it in Minecraft.

CurtMan2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By CurtMan2k7
    @Jimbo: jimbo, if u played twisted metal on ps1 and didn't like it, then car combat isn't for u, doesn't mean u need to critic a game that u never played or plan on playing....as for minecraft that more likely flop of the year, that and nintendo's steel diver for 3DS are just over priced tech demos, and insult the word game by being real retail products...and i'll be playing Sky Rim, and Twisted Metal and then theres Uncharted 3 and Mass Efffect 3 and thats only the tip of the iceberg full of games coming this fall/holiday, if ur a person who plays something for 2mins and says they hate it, ur either a redneck with no teeth or a teenager with no life.....i'm neither....try games for longer than 30mins and learn about the game and story before u put an axe in a game just for fun.....millions of people play the stupidity of facebook games, and no one critics them because they wouldn't bother paying for a single one, if they were 10.00 or more on a console, facebook would be bankrupt with games, minecraft should be a facebook game, or a free add supported game, not some flashy tech demo that pretends to be a retail game, last time i checked games are supposed to have a beginning and end, hell mmo's end unless u get every expansion pack. but everyone on has an opinion, and an asshole.....so u have ur opinion and someone else can say its wrong but thats just like telling the person u shit out of ur asshole, they'll either agree or tell u he/she shits out of its mouth, just to throw dirt in ur face....
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jimbo
    @CurtMan2k7 said:

@Jimbo: jimbo, if u playeokjdfsgofogjhdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnk"

Are you fucking high?  I can barely even read what you said and I still know you were completely wrong about everything.
    ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ptys

That's a bit of a cop out for Minecraft as alot of people have been excited about what the final product will look like.

EgoCheck616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EgoCheck616
    @CurtMan2k7 said:

" @Jimbo: jimbo, if u played twisted metal on ps1 and didn't like it, then car combat isn't for u, doesn't mean u need to critic a game that u never played or plan on playing....as for minecraft that more likely flop of the year, that and nintendo's steel diver for 3DS are just over priced tech demos, and insult the word game by being real retail products...and i'll be playing Sky Rim, and Twisted Metal and then theres Uncharted 3 and Mass Efffect 3 and thats only the tip of the iceberg full of games coming this fall/holiday, if ur a person who plays something for 2mins and says they hate it, ur either a redneck with no teeth or a teenager with no life.....i'm neither....try games for longer than 30mins and learn about the game and story before u put an axe in a game just for fun.....millions of people play the stupidity of facebook games, and no one critics them because they wouldn't bother paying for a single one, if they were 10.00 or more on a console, facebook would be bankrupt with games, minecraft should be a facebook game, or a free add supported game, not some flashy tech demo that pretends to be a retail game, last time i checked games are supposed to have a beginning and end, hell mmo's end unless u get every expansion pack. but everyone on has an opinion, and an asshole.....so u have ur opinion and someone else can say its wrong but thats just like telling the person u shit out of ur asshole, they'll either agree or tell u he/she shits out of its mouth, just to throw dirt in ur face.... "

Class, this is what a clusterfuck looks like.
    It's good  to see trolls are still around to beat the dead troll horse.

Also, asshole. Minecraft is not a retail game. It is purely downloadable. I bought it the week the alpha version came out and have been enjoying it ever since.

How about you take a nap next time you want to spew some bullshit about a product you seem to have very little significant knowledge of.

Oh, by the way, I'll be buying Uncharted 3 / Twisted Metal / Skyrim. So don't use that excuse.
    Take the blue off of your name. It makes the rest of us look bad.

Also, nice review of MLB 11: The Show. Very detailed. I give it 5/5 stars. http://www.giantbomb.com/mlb-11-the-show/61-33424/user-reviews/?review_id=18916
    rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rjpelonia

Hecks yes, Twisted Metal.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By CastroCasper

Dude, Lightning storms in Minecraft sounds awesome to me for some reason.

jamaicanidler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By jamaicanidler
    @CurtMan2k7 said:
    " @Jimbo: jimbo, if u played twisted metal on ps1 and didn't like it, then car combat isn't for u, doesn't mean u need to critic a game that u never played or plan on playing....as for minecraft that more likely flop of the year, that and nintendo's steel diver for 3DS are just over priced tech demos, and insult the word game by being real retail products...and i'll be playing Sky Rim, and Twisted Metal and then theres Uncharted 3 and Mass Efffect 3 and thats only the tip of the iceberg full of games coming this fall/holiday, if ur a person who plays something for 2mins and says they hate it, ur either a redneck with no teeth or a teenager with no life.....i'm neither....try games for longer than 30mins and learn about the game and story before u put an axe in a game just for fun.....millions of people play the stupidity of facebook games, and no one critics them because they wouldn't bother paying for a single one, if they were 10.00 or more on a console, facebook would be bankrupt with games, minecraft should be a facebook game, or a free add supported game, not some flashy tech demo that pretends to be a retail game, last time i checked games are supposed to have a beginning and end, hell mmo's end unless u get every expansion pack. but everyone on has an opinion, and an asshole.....so u have ur opinion and someone else can say its wrong but thats just like telling the person u shit out of ur asshole, they'll either agree or tell u he/she shits out of its mouth, just to throw dirt in ur face.... "
    ABSOLUTELY unnecessary. 
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AngelN7
    @Jimbo:  *Claps* Oh man thats the way trolling should be done perfect  sir,  perfect!
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSully

Can't wait for Twisted Metal. That is a great release date for me, not to many big hitting titles that close to it. 

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Patman99
    @Jimbo said:

" @CurtMan2k7 said:

@Jimbo: jimbo, if u playeokjdfsgofogjhdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnkdfaoafid oadfog doifgioa oadofg afg dfghlkjwerkjlwefksdjkl kasdfj klsdf kmaekrfmkewa mklfmlkdsam f,,dmnekjf kjasdkf jejkw kdsj...... sjhwjhjerhfjkdshfjkc bnjkbnwejknbc njdfgdfgdfgeragrga afghairjwhj enjsdncva wernf nasdjk a. sahj=,,,,...... sohawefjns dnakjfnjkfnwekj nakjdnk"

Are you fucking high?  I can barely even read what you said and I still know you were completely wrong about everything. "
    Just about pissed myself laughing. Well done. Very well done.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Manatassi

Wow allot of people talking shit about Minecraft who have no idea what they are talking about and make plenty of factual errors thats not at all completely expected.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DeeGee
    @CurtMan2k7 said:
     thats just like telling the person u shit out of ur asshole, they'll either agree or tell u he/she shits out of its mouth "
    This thread is over.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#48  Edited By LordAndrew

Also, contrary to popular belief, the release version of Minecraft will not come with a cloth map.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @EuanDewar said:
    " If you spend that that day playing Minecraft instead of skyrim you are a very bad person, up there with people who fart on trains. "
    Oblivion was a massive disappointment and Bethesda games are always very buggy when first released, if not completely broken.
    So yeah, I'll likely wait for a GoTY edition and get the game with all the DLC, bug fixes and decent mods have been released.

As for Twisted Metal..  I did love the series back in the Playstation era, but I'm not sure the genre is still relevant.  The Vigilante 8 remake on XBLA was a huge disappointment, despite being almost the same game.  I really don't see it being any good but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
    yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By yyZiggurat

The launch, according to Notch, is just providing “some kind of goal for [ Mojang] to work towards.” In other words, don’t expect wild updates or new mechanics on the day of “release.”

I don't think I'm okay with this.  I enjoy Minecraft like I  enjoy a trunk of Legos but putting a game out that has makes using the wiki (crafting recipes, item descriptions) necessary is very lazy.  Developers shipping games that require mods to make them good/playable is the reason I hate Bethesda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.