Minecraft coming November 11, 2011

#1 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -
Mojang's popular blocks-n-stuff building game Minecraft will finally see release this year. Notch announced on his blog today a release date of November 11, 2011, which is of course the same date as some other high-profile products such as the Dreamcast 2. But of course Minecraft is the most important of them all.

And don't forget, Minecraft will remain on sale for 25% off for the duration of the Beta. When this baby hits on November 11, you're going to see some serious full-price shit. So buy now if you want the discount and cloth map*, or wait until November 11 if you want to put more dirty money in Notch's wallet. The choice is yours!

*Cloth map not included
#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

...so I get this for free for having it before beta right?

#3 Posted by litrock (173 posts) -
@KaosAngel: Yeah, anyone who bought it during the Alpha essentially is in for everything that eventually comes. Be it updates, content expansions, final versions, whatever. The Beta buyers also get the 'final version', though it's been said that maybe major updates after the fact wouldn't be free for them.  I dunno. I think they're not entirely sure what might happen post-final release. Considering the game can change on a weekly basis if they want to.
#4 Posted by Codeacious (957 posts) -

Same date as Skyrim, apparently.

#5 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3321 posts) -
@litrock:  Content update will be for purchase to the ones that bought during beta. They get the final version and performance patches but that's it. Alpha guys will get the whole package including content patches after release.

But as you say. Whatever that content stuff will be, I have no idea. Since Minecraft is more or less a never ending work in progress. Wonder if Notch and Mojang even want to continue to work on it after release, aside from performance patching.
#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11015 posts) -

So wait, is this implying that Minecraft is actually going to be a game that is finished and released? Does that mean there will be actual game parts instead of the sandbox that it is now?

#7 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" So wait, is this implying that Minecraft is actually going to be a game that is finished and released? Does that mean there will be actual game parts instead of the sandbox that it is now? "
On the first part, probably. On the second part, who knows.
#8 Posted by jakob187 (21505 posts) -

Meh.  I'm just going to go see Immortals instead.

#9 Posted by FreakAche (2938 posts) -

Maybe Minecraft was just the Skyrim beta.

#10 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: You don't really get the point of minecraft, do you.
#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11015 posts) -
@Renachan said:
" @ArbitraryWater: You don't really get the point of minecraft, do you. "
No, not really. I like seeing the crazyness that comes out of it, but I have no interest until it actually becomes something with a point or an objective. And no, "Build crazy stuff and explore!" is not an objective.
#12 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" @Renachan said:
" @ArbitraryWater: You don't really get the point of minecraft, do you. "
No, not really. I like seeing the crazyness that comes out of it, but I have no interest until it actually becomes something with a point or an objective. And no, "Build crazy stuff and explore!" is not an objective. "
Yeah definitely, I love the whole, build crazy shit part of the game but I also want some clear objectives.

Especially since I already dug all the way to the bottom, and built all the way to the top now.
#13 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@isnipeyoudie:  Great. The finished version of Minecraft and Skyrim in my room. Goodbye social life, I knew you well.
#14 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater: I like it exactly because it has no objective. A game without a narrative is a nice breath of fresh air. It lets me make my own objectives and do what I want with it. RP with others? Cool. Build crazy stuff? Cool. Come up with challenges? All good.

If I want narrative, I've got loads of other games to play. Minecraft doesn't need it.
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  im pretty sure the game is already out.. people have been playing it for a year

what do you mean its coming out in November ?
#16 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @LordAndrew:  im pretty sure the game is already out.. people have been playing it for a year

what do you mean its coming out in November ?
"
People have been playing it since 2009, all pre-release. It's not officially "out" yet.
#17 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@LordAndrew:  thats crazy
#18 Posted by bongoboy (105 posts) -

I have heard some game journalist on other sites say that the 11/11/11 release date is bad for Minecraft since it will be competing with Skyrim. Does it really matter what it is "competing" with since it is already such a popular game ($30 million worth) and available for purchase before its release date?

#19 Posted by DystopiaX (5241 posts) -
@bongoboy said:
" I have heard some game journalist on other sites say that the 11/11/11 release date is bad for Minecraft since it will be competing with Skyrim. Does it really matter what it is "competing" with since it is already such a popular game ($30 million worth) and available for purchase before its release date? "
Yeah, cause its current following seems to be mostly gamers and people "in the know"... people who care about it bought it already, and they're getting it free. The target they're aiming for at this release are more casual gamers, people who knew about it but not interested, or the general public, since as you mentioned they already sold $30 million's worth to hardcore gamers. By competing with Skyrim, CoD, BF3, and Uncharted (that's this year right?) they're getting less attention from the people they need to sell it to than they would if they had released it  over the summer or an equally less busy release period.
#20 Posted by bongoboy (105 posts) -
@DystopiaX: Good point. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is a "hardcore" gamer. I think the simplicity of the game could appeal to many casual gamers, but at the same time the complexity could put off that same group (I'm aware I just contradicted myself, but I feel Minecraft truly can be described as simplistically-complex).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.