Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft did what no other could. Beats Black Ops on Xbox Live.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
    http://majornelson.com/2012/05/24/live-activity-for-week-of-may-14th/

Holy shit. Battlefield 3, Halo Reach, Skyrim, Gears of war 3, all failed to beat it. And a several year old, limited PC port, on XBLA?  That's fucking unreal.

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s)
    1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
    2 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
    3 Call of Duty: Black Ops
    4 FIFA 12
    5 Battlefield 3
    6 Halo: Reach
    7 Modern Warfare 2
    8 NBA 2K12
    9 Skyrim
    10 Gears of War 3
    11 GTA IV
    12 Forza Motorsport 4
    13 Max Payne 3
    14 Trials Evolution
    15 Mass Effect 3
    16 NHL12
    17 Madden NFL 12
    18 Halo 3
    19 Red Dead Redemption
    20 Saints Row: The Third

Also, MP3 not looking too good. :(
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RedRoach

I'm more interested in the bottom of that list. NHL beat out Madden? RDR is still being played by clearly a large amount of people.

Also, I'm stoked that a lot of people like SR3

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, isn't Skyrim a single player game? How would it beat BLOPS on Xbox Live? Does it have Live functionality I'm not aware of?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Jason_Bourne said:

I'm more interested in the bottom of that list. NHL beat out Madden? RDR is still being played by clearly a large amount of people.

Also, I'm stoked that a lot of people like SR3

I'm really surprised by this as well.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By metal_mills
    @Video_Game_King said:

Wait, isn't Skyrim a single player game? How would it beat BLOPS on Xbox Live? Does it have Live functionality I'm not aware of?

Xbox live activity. You start the game while signed in, it counts as activity.
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@Video_Game_King said:

No; this list is only telling what games are played the most on Xboxes that are connected to Live. As long as you're online while playing, that game gets another tally on this list.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

I still don't understand why so many people willingly will play a massively gimped version of the PC version. It's not like it requires a gaming computer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By JoeyRavn

@CL60 said:

I still don't understand why so many people willingly will play a massively gimped version of the PC version. It's not like it requires a gaming computer.

I guess there's a truckload of people who either don't know that there's a PC version or just don't care about it. Or maybe they find it more confortable to play with a gamepad from their couches... I really don't know, but hey, more power to them.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Karl_Boss

@CL60 said:

Dedicated console gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Me3 is also a surprise.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By williamhenry

@CL60 said:

In case you've never realized, most people want to play a game with a controller while on their couch, not a keyboard/mouse and in front of a computer screen. Doesn't matter if a PC game has gamepad support, most people don't know you can even do that.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#12  Edited By bobafettjm

@CL60: I have owned the PC version since it was available for purchase, and yet I have already played it more on the 360 than I have on the PC.

GorillaSalad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GorillaSalad

@CL60 said:

Couch co-op.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

@CL60 said:

I still don't understand why so many people willingly act like people aren't allowed to play games on a console if they want.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Baillie

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Justin258

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

So do I, it runs Minecraft and a small server at the same time! Albeit with all the settings turned down, but it's not like the game's much of a looker anyway.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60

@jakob187 said:

@CL60 said:

I still don't understand why so many people willingly act like people aren't allowed to play games on a console if they want.

You seem mad because I think it's pointless to get minecraft on a console when it's garbage in comparison to the PC version.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Baillie

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

So do I, it runs Minecraft and a small server at the same time! Albeit with all the settings turned down, but it's not like the game's much of a looker anyway.

I'm sure you have a mouse though? I have a macbook pro, and playing games with a trackpad isn't fun.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Ramone

I've just started play Red Dead again, I might actually jump into the multiplayer if people are still playing it.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By uhtaree

I feel threatened by Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Justin258

@Baillie said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

I'm sure you have a mouse though? I have a macbook pro, and playing games with a trackpad isn't fun.

A mouse isn't that expensive? Unless you just don't have a good solid surface to play it on.

But if you want to play it on 360, fine. I just find that there's so much more I can do with the PC one.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PixelPrinny

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

A mouse isn't that expensive? Unless you just don't have a good solid surface to play it on.

But if you want to play it on 360, fine. I just find that there's so much more I can do with the PC one.

While I understand where you're coming from and agree (I mean who wouldn't agree? It's a fact that the PC is clearly better, no one is arguing that), I think of it this way: Two kids are playing with Lego. One has a fancy Castle set with figures and weapons and horses and all that; the other has a standard set with just your generic pieces. Both are still having an enormous amount of fun using their imaginations to build and create.

Is one experience better than that other just because one's set is fancier? I don't think so; both are able to enjoy themselves with what they have.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@PixelPrinny said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

While I understand where you're coming from and agree (I mean who wouldn't agree? It's a fact that the PC is clearly better, no one is arguing that), I think of it this way: Two kids are playing with Lego. One has a fancy Castle set with figures and weapons and horses and all that; the other has a standard set with just your generic pieces. Both are still having an enormous amount of fun using their imaginations to build and create.

Is one experience better than that other just because one's set is fancier? I don't think so; both are able to enjoy themselves with what they have.

And that's fine, I was just saying that "I have a laptop" isn't a good reason to not play Minecraft on PC, though again no one has to pick one over the other because I say so. I don't care, but I'll hold fast to the idea that the PC version is vastly superior.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Minecraft may have beaten Blops, but you still need to consider its because CoD fans aren't playing the exact same version of CoD (Blops, MW2 and 3).

When something gets number 1 and CoD more or less falls way down the list, I'll be impressed; it means everyone moved on

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

cannot believe GTA is still on that list

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Baillie

@believer258 said:

And that's fine, I was just saying that "I have a laptop" isn't a good reason to not play Minecraft on PC, though again no one has to pick one over the other because I say so. I don't care, but I'll hold fast to the idea that the PC version is vastly superior.

It's a good enough reason for me. I have it on the PC and I have a mouse, somewhere. If I ever play a game on this, I want to use a joypad. No support? I'm not going to bother playing.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FoolishChaos

The thing about minecraft: xbox edition is that this isn't even a skyrim style situation. Pretty much everyone will tell you that skyrim on the PC is the version to get if you can run it, because of mods.

Not only do you not get mods on xbox version of minecraft, you also get a severely limited version of the base game. And its not even a situation of "well my PC can't run skyrim", because everyones PC can run minecraft.

I understand some people feel like they need a controller to play a video game, but I dunno. It seems like that minor discomfort would be worth it to overcome for all the advantages of the PC version. Also I would be surprised if someone doesn't develop a mod using a similar interface that the Xbox version uses, in order to make controller gameplay viable.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FoolishChaos

@PixelPrinny said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

If your a kid, that's okay. Kind of.

It was either Mike or Jerry of penny arcade that wrote about their kid playing minecraft. He was enjoying himself so much, that he started looking up youtube videos of other people creations. Now imagine you are this kid and your dad bought you the xbox version of minecraft, and you are looking at all the cool shit that other kids can build. You are going to ask for the fancy Castle set.

The internet ruins everything, basically :P

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PixelPrinny

@FoolishChaos said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@believer258 said:

@Baillie said:

@CL60 said:

I have a laptop.

If your a kid, that's okay. Kind of.

It was either Mike or Jerry of penny arcade that wrote about their kid playing minecraft. He was enjoying himself so much, that he started looking up youtube videos of other people creations. Now imagine you are this kid and your dad bought you the xbox version of minecraft, and you are looking at all the cool shit that other kids can build. You are going to ask for the fancy Castle set.

The internet ruins everything, basically :P

Damn you, Internet! Daaaamn youuuuuuu!

Though that'd be a great time to be all like, "This is the part where I teach my child not to act entitled or spoiled! Maybe tell them, "Sure Timmy, you can have the fancy version as soon as you save up your allowance to buy it!" thus teaching them the value of money and patience.

In all seriousness, however, if I had children, I'd buy the PC version and install some of the crazy more sciency mods and see what sorta crazy things they could come up with. I'd expect them to come up with a cure for cancer inside of Minecraft by the time they're 10 or so. Oh, I'd also install Zork and old school Sierra games. Those things teach ya how to read like nothing else... cept maybe books. I hear books are a good way to learn how to read. But no one uses those archaic things anymore!

Aaanyways the point wasn't to argue the superiority over one vs the other so much as if someone is happy with the standard set, then all the power to them, and they can glean just as much enjoyment as someone with the fancy set. Of course if they find themselves yearning for a more robust experience then that's great if they want to move on to fancier sets. The two versions of the game can coexist just fine, like different types of Lego.

What I'm trying to say is that I basically just came up with the solution to all of the world's problems. What can I say? I'm a miracle worker.

Rakitox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#30  Edited By Rakitox

The most interesting thing about this list is that there are three Call of Duty games in the top ten. As in, of a console library of thousands of games, three from the same franchise cracked the top ten. And, of the hundreds, if not thousands, of games released between Modern Warfare 2's release in 2010 and right now, only six were played more.

It's surely a testament to something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@FoolishChaos said:

because everyones PC can run minecraft.

Try playing it on a computer (PC or laptop, doesn't matter which) with Intel HD on-board graphics. Even with everything set to the bare minimum the game is unplayable.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexW00d

@MagusMaleficus said:

@FoolishChaos said:

Try playing it on a computer (PC or laptop, doesn't matter which) with Intel HD on-board graphics. Even with everything set to the bare minimum the game is unplayable.

No it's not.

-

Hey Football Manager 2012 has been higher than MW3, on Steam, like, all year long.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@AlexW00d said:

@MagusMaleficus said:

@FoolishChaos said:

No it's not.

-

Hey Football Manager 2012 has been higher than MW3, on Steam, like, all year long.

Um, yeah, it is. I and a few friends have tried on multiple computers with various flavors of Intel HD. Without the aid of heavy modding, vanilla Minecraft runs like ass (and that's just single-player...forget about multiplayer). And let's not get started on older computers, or Macs for that matter...

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laserbolts

It's nice to see NHL on there. If you are a fan of hockey it is a really good hockey game. Sort of sad to see modern warfare 3 at the top. I'm not surprised but it is the weakest entry in the series since call of duty 3 multiplayer-wise anyways.

@CL60 said:

Maybe it's just more the comfort of playing on a couch or lying down or whatever. Also im sure alot of people playing the xbox version also have the pc version and are checking it out much like I am going to do come payday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.