Minecraft for Xbox 360 Is Profitable, Despite Being a Day Old

  • 90 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by Driadon (2990 posts) -

I may get it down the line for that couch co-op, even though I've owned the PC version since 2009.

#52 Edited by Wandering_Idiot (138 posts) -

@radioactivez0r said:

I just...don't get it. I never have. The idea of "here's a world, do whatever" is either too free-form or too restrictive (??) to me.

Oh for god's sake, people keep saying this whenever Minecraft comes up, despite the fact that the game's mechanics make it extremely easy to set goals that will keep you playing and interacting with the various systems for a long time. Here, let me help you and the various other "befuddled by the appeal of Minecraft" people out since you're either too lazy to bother learning anything about the game before dismissing it or too unimaginative to find anything to do in it without explicit instructions.

GOALS:

1. Build a decent-looking house/base/bunker.

2. Make a complete set of diamond armor.

3. Get to the Nether.

There, that's probably like 10 hours right there your first time out, for reasons having to do with the interlocking gameplay systems (building a Nether portal requires large amounts of obsidian, which is mostly deep underground, requiring you to fight monsters to bring it out, requiring more basic armor and weapons that you'll have to gather the materials for to survive, food that you'll need to farm or hunt for, diamonds for the special pickaxe to mine the obsidian, etc.) There are more complex goals that could be set requiring you to do more things involving farming, crafting, potions, etc. but that's just to get started. The game has an achievements system now, I haven't paid much attention to it but trying to get them all would presumably satisfy anyone who absolutely needs their goals fed to them by the game itself.

Yes, you'll need the wiki (or at least this page) to play the PC version. It's a fact, get over it.

#53 Posted by radioactivez0r (808 posts) -

@Wandering_Idiot: I can't imagine you got that frustrated by my very, very mellow post; I'm sorry I'm not a fan of your favorite game ever...but I maintain it's possible that it's just not "fun" for every person on Earth. I don't even think I said anything negative about it. Holy shit.

#54 Posted by Xeirus (1279 posts) -

@Wandering_Idiot said:

@radioactivez0r said:

I just...don't get it. I never have. The idea of "here's a world, do whatever" is either too free-form or too restrictive (??) to me.

Oh for god's sake, people keep saying this whenever Minecraft comes up, despite the fact that the game's mechanics make it extremely easy to set goals that will keep you playing and interacting with the various systems for a long time. Here, let me help you and the various other "befuddled by the appeal of Minecraft" people out since you're either too lazy to bother learning anything about the game before dismissing it or too unimaginative to find anything to do in it without explicit instructions.

GOALS:

1. Build a decent-looking house/base/bunker.

2. Make a complete set of diamond armor.

3. Get to the Nether.

There, that's probably like 10 hours right there your first time out, for reasons having to do with the interlocking gameplay systems (building a Nether portal requires large amounts of obsidian, which is mostly deep underground, requiring you to fight monsters to bring it out, requiring more basic armor and weapons that you'll have to gather the materials for to survive, also requiring food that you'll need to farm or hunt for, etc.) There are more complex goals that could be set requiring you to do more things involving farming, crafting, potions, etc. but that's just to get started. The game has an achievements system now, I haven't paid much attention to it but trying to get them all would presumably satisfy anyone who absolutely needs their goals fed to them by the game itself.

Yes, you'll need the wiki (or at least this page) to play the PC version. It's a fact, get over it.

I found it fun only really when I played it multiplayer, but my old roommate went out of his damn mind, he spent close to 100+ hours doing the -dumbest- shit, but it was fun while it lasted. I played it a lot, now I'm just completely burnt out on it, I'll never play it again, but it was well worth the money I spent on it.

#55 Posted by Wandering_Idiot (138 posts) -

@radioactivez0r said:

@Wandering_Idiot: I can't imagine you got that frustrated by my very, very mellow post; I'm sorry I'm not a fan of your favorite game ever...but I maintain it's possible that it's just not "fun" for every person on Earth. I don't even think I said anything negative about it. Holy shit.

I don't even play it that much any more, it's just a really stupid complaint that gets brought up any time anyone mentions the game.

#56 Posted by HonkeyKong (45 posts) -

Yea I got this on mu PC! I love it. Jungles and cats... pretty cool... AND THEN I BOUGHT IT THE 360!!!!!! This game is magic... and Notch is the coolest guy ever... WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!?!?!

#57 Posted by envane (1156 posts) -

i guess us pc players are just bitter from the years of being called autistic or other derogatory uses of words normally reserved for mentally handicapped people. now you xbros are like .. whoa minecraft is unique and fun whoa its amazing what such a small game can blahblahblahblah

reminds me of bill maher and his constant anger at politicians/pundits and their statements from "inside the bubble"

#58 Posted by mewarmo990 (821 posts) -

Never thought I'd see it on XBLA. This is pretty great news.

#59 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -

One thing that is better about the xbox360 version of minecraft, and -to me- is what might make it worth the money is that everything you'll see on anyone's multiplayer server is hand built, no mods or CAD tools to automatically place your blocks. Nothing is impressive anymore about any build you see on PC servers because it's 99% built by some sort of CAD/mod tool.

#60 Posted by 014 (341 posts) -

I have to have this game. It's like Legos with friends. But I must knock out some of my single-player games in queue first.

#61 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

#62 Posted by fox01313 (5032 posts) -

Considering the cost of making the game, I don't think it'd take too much to make a profit. I got it the same reason as Viva Pinata & some of the miniature golf games on the 360, for something so different than most of the action murder/death/kill games when I just want something to unwind with. Since the cost for the 360 version is cheaper than the PC & plenty of possible updates for the 360 version, it seems a good deal to me (guessing it's $20 due to the PC version being near $30 last I heard).

#63 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

So wait, did this pass Trials Evolution then?

#64 Posted by AlKusanagi (851 posts) -

Will the PC version get some of the features from this one? I really, really like the item recipe journal and crafting of this version.

Online
#65 Posted by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

@AlKusanagi said:

Will the PC version get some of the features from this one? I really, really like the item recipe journal and crafting of this version.

The UI is great in this version. I'd love to be able to play Minecraft PC with proper gamepad support and the XBLA UI. There have been some users that asked for this on the official Minecraft forums, so I guess it's bound to happen sooner or later. I mean, it shouldn't be so difficult to implement now that they have it working on the XBLA version, right?

#66 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

#67 Posted by Zaccheus (1770 posts) -

Because of Giant Bomb I lost yesterday to the PC version...

#68 Posted by Christoffer (1654 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

Deserved what? Don't say "The title of having sold the fastest on XBLA" cause I can't believe anyone would care about that.

Both games did really well, be happy for them and get on with it.

#69 Edited by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Christoffer said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

Deserved what? Don't say "The title of having sold the fastest on XBLA" cause I can't believe anyone would care about that.

Both games did really well, be happy for them and get on with it.

I can't be happy about it...

It's just a stripped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with, and a bad port at that.

There's no fuckin' reason why it couldn't have everything the PC version has.

And if anyone comes at me saying, "oh, it's because the old ass Xbox can't handle it", give me a break.

First, you don't even need a good pc to play it, and then, if i can play games like GTA IV, Just Cause 2, and Skyrim on the 360, or even the Witcher 2, another former PC exclusive, with no compromise besides graphics, there's just no fuckin' reason why this game came out like this.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is the reason game companies think gamers are stupid...

#70 Posted by Otacon (2194 posts) -

Finally had to see what this was all about after ignoring it for 2 years. I love it in that animal crossing sort of way, and I played A LOT of animal crossing.

#71 Posted by Manatassi (791 posts) -

So from what I have read the plan is to release Bi-monthly updates to get the 360 version up to date with the PC version... If this happens it could be extremely interesting. :)

It is a bit Jarring going from the PC version to the 360 version but its also obvious that its not so much a stripped down for console port rather an older version of the game that took time to port, which bodes well if the updates happen for getting it up to Parity with the PC.

#72 Posted by Spekingur (161 posts) -

@BPRJCTX: $20 is cheaper than the PC version. I also think that you don't understand how programming works and how Minecraft was programmed.

They are making the port from PC to XBox 360. This means that they want the most stable PC version they can get so they can make a stable 360 version. The PC version was programmed in Java and very likely the game had to be re-programmed in another programming language for the XBox 360. Doing that you do not want to work with an ever-evolving source code. If they had updated their project everytime the PC version got updated they would still be making the XBox 360 version. Once they have nailed down the base, got it stable and possibly released it you can start on a) improving it and/or b) adding new things to it. Do not forget either that the way that Minecraft has been programmed on the PC makes it use quite a bit of internal memory. XBox 360 Arcade only has 256mb of internal memory so that has to be the lowest common denominator. This might be one of the thing limiting them.

#73 Posted by Obinice (265 posts) -

Just HDMI out the PC version to the TV and use your Xbox controller. Assuming at this point you already own a HDMI TV and a computer that can put it out, the only additional expense is purchasing a control mapper for your controller.

#74 Posted by jasondesante (586 posts) -

pc just rolls off the tongue

#75 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

@BPRJCTX: No one forced 400,000 people at gunpoint to spend $20 on it just like no one stopped people from buying Trials. There is a bigger appeal in a super big sandbox type Lego game where you can build almost anything you want and even friends can join in and help - as opposed to a physics based bike game known to be pretty difficult and frustrating down the road.

I played Minecraft on PC for a long time and when I got the trial version just to see how it controls I had to stop myself as I started making and decorating a little dwelling in the tutorial area. Minecraft doesn't offer up any difficulty walls you bang your head against - it's pure creativity that flows from the player. In Trials you'll reach tracks that are really challenging and you'll bang your head against that and succeeding means you unlock even harder tracks that eventually just turn you off from the game unless you're a die hard fan.

It's easy to see why one of these sold way more than the other.

#76 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@BPRJCTX: No one forced 400,000 people at gunpoint to spend $20 on it just like no one stopped people from buying Trials. There is a bigger appeal in a super big sandbox type Lego game where you can build almost anything you want and even friends can join in and help - as opposed to a physics based bike game known to be pretty difficult and frustrating down the road.

I played Minecraft on PC for a long time and when I got the trial version just to see how it controls I had to stop myself as I started making and decorating a little dwelling in the tutorial area. Minecraft doesn't offer up any difficulty walls you bang your head against - it's pure creativity that flows from the player. In Trials you'll reach tracks that are really challenging and you'll bang your head against that and succeeding means you unlock even harder tracks that eventually just turn you off from the game unless you're a die hard fan.

It's easy to see why one of these sold way more than the other.

Yes, but who's talking about the games here?

I'm talking about quality here, and a crappy version of Minecraft selling more than basically the best XBLA game ever, the game with most content, the game that comes with the most robust Level / Game editor ever released on a console, that gives consumers an infinite amount of playability, and the creative ppl, a tool to express themselves, and all that for only 15$ bucks.

It's not about what each game does or who they appeal to, it's about quality, and the price you pay for quality.

And for it's quality, the 360 version of Minercraft doesn't deserve neither the sales it got, nor it's price point.

I wouldn't buy that version for more than 10$.

Fuck, look at Fez, he could have easily asked for 15$, but he released for 10$.

If they wanted to raise the price of XBLA games, they should have at least matched the quality of the PC counterpart.

I would have been fine paying 20$ for Trials Evolution, cos you can clearly see that those guys put their hearts and souls into the game, and delivered the best game possible, they gave us everything they could, there's basically nothing else they could have done to that game, they did everything right, there's basically nothing wrong you can say about it.

That's why i would be fine paying more for that game.

Now, Notch puts out this inferior version of his game, raises the price of XBLA games for good (yes, because of Minecraft's 20$ succcess, you can expect to pay more for XBLA games from now on...), and makes a shit load of money off of stupid ppl.

If they had done things right, i would have been fine with this, but...

This is just wrong and it makes me sick...

I hope it's just the Kinect casual crowd buying this crap, just like they bought Angry Birds, The Wii for Wii Sports, and the next gaming fad...

Cos, thinking about actual gamers buying into shitty business like this, makes me fucking sick.

#77 Posted by jmood88 (387 posts) -

Why are Microsoft and Valve so secretive with numbers of digital sales? It has never made any sense to me, you would think that with a successful game, they would want to highlight those numbers.

#78 Posted by Humanity (7948 posts) -

@BPRJCTX: Well you're talking about games here actually. You keep mentioning how Trials is such an amazing game. I think Trials is boring as heck. Just keep going right while fighting wonky bike physics. The 360 version of Minecraft actually is pretty good. How is it not worth it? Whats inferior about it? The map limits? The what? Because it doesn't have that useless Single Player campaign? I'm not sure where you're coming from. The way it handles formulas is better than the PC version - it was never fun to have to alt-tab out of the game and bring up the wiki because I forgot how you make a switch or something. There are tons of people that never even heard of Minecraft, and would rather play it on a 360 anyway - yes they exist. That might not be me, or you, but there are tons of people that don't like using the computer for anything other than Internet and writing. You obviously like Trials and you're upset Minecraft outsold it, don't try to put some deeper philosophy onto it because it's not there. Theres nothing sickening here just pure business. He put out a game, priced it and people decided they are willing to pay that much to play it. You know what sucks? That I own Black Ops on 360 but if I want to play it with my friend who only has a PS3 I have to buy it again for that system. What the hell I already own the game! How come in the Witcher 2 on PC the skill menu wiggles but it's all static and boring on the 360 version? Give me my money back! Why are my console Battlefield 3 maps so much smaller than people playing on the PC, that should be illegal!

#79 Edited by Noct (306 posts) -

I was gung-ho for this port until I watched the quicklook, and then I bought the PC version later that day, for one specific reason. The 360 version has all the recipes built in, and has pop-up text explaining what the items are for... That just seems like removing 90% of the fun/challenge of the game to me.

I suppose if you've already played the PC game and know this stuff, it doesn't matter, or if you were going to alt-tab to the wiki every ten minutes anyways, it's irrelevant, but I was never going to do that...

I can honestly say that apart from a couple of items I know exist because I saw them in the quick look, I went into the PC version totally fresh, and I have not looked at a single wiki yet. The discovery of new elements and items has been the big draw for me. Yeah, it's fun to build structures, but I don't get the same charge out of building a wall as I do when I craft an item I've never seen before.

It just seems like a really, really dumb move to me. It would be like playing original Legend of Zelda with an onscreen map highlighting where everything is. Don't other people see how that would totally ruin what made Zelda cool in the first place? Same principles here in my book. This is a quest, a game of discovery. Without the discovery, it's a lego set.

The really strange thing to me is that I've seen some people here say that they are buying the 360 version BECAUSE of this. That seems nuts to me. I don't want to be the "you're playing it wrong" guy here, but... you're playing it wrong!

=)

#80 Posted by falpatrick (154 posts) -

@Clarke said:

I've been trying to play Minecraft on PC the past 2 days and it is still a crash fest. I really wish they would make the game run better.

You're doing something wrong.

#81 Posted by fisk0 (3280 posts) -

@falpatrick said:

@Clarke said:

I've been trying to play Minecraft on PC the past 2 days and it is still a crash fest. I really wish they would make the game run better.

You're doing something wrong.

It's certainly gotten slower in the past year. I haven't had any crashes though, but it seems you should set the render distance to something lower than "Far" nowadays, if you want a smooth experience.

Online
#82 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

Calm down angry clown.

#83 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

Calm down angry clown.

Did that make you feel better?

DId it make you feel like a big man?

Insulting ppl over the internet...

You must be really sad...

#84 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

Calm down angry clown.

Did that make you feel better?

DId it make you feel like a big man?

Insulting ppl over the internet...

You must be really sad...

Who insulted who? What is this i dont even...

#85 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

Calm down angry clown.

Did that make you feel better?

DId it make you feel like a big man?

Insulting ppl over the internet...

You must be really sad...

Who insulted who? What is this i dont even...

From where i come from, calling someone a clown is an insult...

#86 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

@Landon said:

@BPRJCTX said:

Well, that sucks, Trials Evo deserved it much more.

What the hell are you talking about?

The record.

Trials Evo beat that record like 2 weeks before this game came out, and it deserved it much more than this striped down version of a PC game that isn't that great to begin with.

And on top of that, they had the fuckin' balls to release this for 20$?!

Trials Evo is worth double the price they ask for, and even they didn't fuckin' raise the price.

This is just fuckin' sad.

Calm down angry clown.

Did that make you feel better?

DId it make you feel like a big man?

Insulting ppl over the internet...

You must be really sad...

Who insulted who? What is this i dont even...

From where i come from, calling someone a clown is an insult...

what do you call clowns then where you come from

#87 Posted by KeisukeMiyagi (2 posts) -

Love Minecraft, glad it seems to have sold well on console

#88 Posted by zudthespud (3277 posts) -

It's not surprising a game with this much hype sold so well. 1600 points is fine, the PC version is more.

@Bell_End said:

what do you call clowns then where you come from

Check mate.

#89 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

400000 buys at 20 bucks a pop thats million bucks (x8)

#90 Posted by Boopie (191 posts) -

I was never into Legos or Tinker Toys or any of that stuff so I didn't think I would get into Minecraft but when my friend gave me a code for the 360 version I spent about 8 hours straight mindlessly playing it and then 4 hours of fever dream half sleep thinking about it before I went back to playing it again.

I guess for me the game's greatest draw is reaching into the deep seated need to control and build a world to my personal liking. So what if it looks like a bunch of poorly textured blocks? THEY ARE MY POORLY TEXTURED BLOCKS AND I PUT THEM THERE! JUST LIKE THAT! LOVE IT OR FUCK OFF!

#91 Posted by D_train_lives (107 posts) -

@Obinice: im lazy and I want achievements

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.