Minecraft iOS worth a look?

#1 Edited by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

I just ordered an iPad back on Black Friday and have always been curious about Minecraft. As far as computers go, I only have a MacBook, so I don't think I could play it well if I were to download the "real" minecraft.

Is the iOS version for iPad worth the $6? I know it is more stripped down than the regular game.

#2 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Basically, it's the creative mode without an infinitely large world and with bad controls. 

I'd assume a MacBook can play the actual game, and you could probably try creative mode on the website beforehand to see if it runs.

#3 Posted by Consaw (250 posts) -

Tested has a app of the day video on it. It might give you a better idea of its quality.

#4 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

@Consaw: Thanks for the video. I didn't even think to check Tested for info on it.

#5 Posted by SuperSambo (2858 posts) -

Minecraft works fine on my mb. What specs have you got?

#6 Edited by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

@SuperSambo: I'm running Mac OS X ver 10.5.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 DUO, and 2 GB of memory.

#7 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Dude, don't worry about it.
It's made to run on everything.

There are videos of it running on netbooks at 60fps.
MB will be absolutely fine no problem, with the advanced shading on.

#8 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

Fun to play on the toilet like most iPhone games.

#9 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Get it on your Macbook and avoid it on iOS, because it's terrible there.

#10 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1758 posts) -

@benpicko said:

Get it on your Macbook and avoid it on iOS, because it's terrible there.

Exactly. Not to mention the price difference isn't large enough to justify not getting the full version.

#11 Posted by MightyDuck (1521 posts) -

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go on my MacBook then. For some reason, I just assumed it wouldn't run it very well.

Thanks again.

#12 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@MightyDuck: Real minecraft works just fine on mac books.

#13 Edited by Brackynews (4056 posts) -
#14 Posted by Dogma (945 posts) -

I want to try this game out with my girlfriend, she is the creative type and would love this BUT I have to know if my computer can run the game since it's an older Mac. The girlfriends computer is a brand new Macbook Pro bought last weekend so I have no worries of that one. Can you guys help me out?

I have a quite old Mac Mini from 2006 with Intel processor 1.66 MHz (two cores), 2 GB RAM and I am running version 10.5.8 (Leopard) right now. Will this game run smooth on my computer?

I have tested the Classic in browser-game but I have a feeling it does not represent how the game would work/flow as a dedicated app. Seemed to have steady framrate when I walked but when I started to jump it seemed to get janky.

#15 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

My understanding is that they're working on a big update for this that adds a lot of stuff from the PC version.

Having said that, I think there's a limit from a control standpoint of what you're going to be able to do with this game on a touchscreen, and the current version is pretty close to reaching that. As someone who runs a Minecraft dedicated server, I really don't want people connecting to it from their Apple/Android devices, fumbling around and making a mess.

Call me an elitist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.