Minecraft on Mac

#1 Posted by TheGreven (30 posts) -

Hi,

After watching the QL I got really interested in this game. I have a Mac and was wondering 2 things?

1. Is the Mac version the same as the PC version?

2. If in the future I decide to buy a PC, do I need to buy Minecraft again or can I use the same account I have on Mac on the PC?

Thanks!

#2 Edited by KalAl (41 posts) -

I was in the same boat. I decided to buy it after watching the Quicklook. Good news is, you only pay once, and you get an account that lets you download whatever client you want. In fact, you can download the client before you pay any money. You just wont be able to play until you pay.

Also, the Mac version is the same as PC. I don't know how the performance compares though.

#3 Posted by StarFoxA (5140 posts) -

1. Yes
2. No, same account is for both versions, unlimited downloads across computers.

#4 Posted by wewantsthering (1553 posts) -

@StarFoxA said:

1. Yes 2. No, same account is for both versions, unlimited downloads across computers.
#5 Edited by TheGreven (30 posts) -

Thanks for the replies! Im buying it now!!

#6 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

The game is made in Java. Not only does that mean you can play it on Windows, OS X, and Linux, but you won't run into a situation where one version lags behind the others. Any content update just works across all platforms.

#7 Posted by Ben_H (3312 posts) -

Minecraft is made with Java so it runs identically on Windows and Mac. Performance will be determined by How good your machine is. I have it on my MacBook Pro and it runs great.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I have the latest Mac and it runs fine on it.

#9 Posted by jonnybob (166 posts) -

My kids don't have the latest Mac and it runs relatively reasonable as long as you don't get greedy with stuff. Modding can also be done as long as it doesn't require the .net framework.....

#10 Posted by yevinorion (691 posts) -

Works great for me on Mac. My only issue is that some mods won't work because of their dependance on .net framework. Still, I've got the ones I really want running and I enjoy it. :)

#11 Posted by Hannibal (862 posts) -

I have the shittiest new MBP and it runs fine on pretty much max settings.

#12 Posted by superpow (226 posts) -

one of us! one of us!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.