Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft to enter Beta soon

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#1  Edited By LordAndrew

The next epoch is upon us! The skies are trembling, pigs are growing wings, and the nether is turning awfully cold, as Minecraft slowly crawls out of Alpha..

So says Mr. Persson.

In his latest update, Notch has announced that Minecraft will leave the Alpha stage and enter Beta on December 20. That doesn't mean that new features will no longer be added though. The term "Beta" in this context actually means... Well, it's not like that term ever meant much anyway. Beta means whatever the developer wants it to mean.

With Beta comes a larger focus on polish and content, and we’ll start early on with adding proper modding support with a stable API, and we’d love all input we can get on this from the modders out there. We’ll also add some kind of non-intrusive narrative to the game to help drive the game experience early on, and to provide some kind of late game goal. There will be a bigger focus on testing and stability as well, with more time between updates.

As previously discussed, the price of Minecraft will increase to €14.95. He also gave some additional pricing information.

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
    Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.

Apparently the promise of stuff for free scared the lawyers and the board. That's business, I guess. :(

Also, gift codes. Are your friends too cheap? Buy Minecraft for them, and if you purchase the gift code before December 20, their account will be treated as an alpha account.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

I'll buy it when it hits Steam.   

I'd rather have it on there.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Working minecarts in multiplayer!  Finally!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I'll buy it when it hits Steam.    I'd rather have it on there. "
    And youll have to pay full price.  

I got in when it was alpha. Ive been riding this game for a nice long time. 
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I think I'll be buying a lot of people minecraft for xmas this year.  
    But I've been naughty and ignoring both mine and the tested server for like a month now. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    @KaosAngel said:
    Sure, if you don't mind paying twice as much as you could pay now. If it even gets released on Steam.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Oh man I should really get it soon even though I haven't played it in a while. I feel like I'm losing money if I don't but it soon...

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By CptChiken

It sucks that he cant keep offering that promise, but then i bought this back in the summer so i dont care. I look forward to seeing whats new in the beta

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunExplosions

Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft 

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By mracoon

So if I have the alpha version then I don't have to buy the game again when it comes out for real?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
    @mracoon: That's right. Once you've bought it, you've bought it. You don't have to buy it again... unless you really want to.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
    @KaosAngel said:
    I don't understand this. In any way. Period. Care to help me out?
    Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aronman789

Good to see that Notch, while getting lazy from all that money, still plans to keep the game going

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adoggz

i guess its understandable that notch wants to open up the ability to have charged expansions in the nebulous future where this game is like released for realz, but it just seems like it'd be weird to buy minecraft dlc.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LordAndrew
    @FunExplosions said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    I don't understand this. In any way. Period. Care to help me out? "
    KaosAngel doesn't like the idea of paying half-price for a game and getting all future expansions at no cost forever. And why should he? Is that really a world you want to live in, FunEx? :P
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By beej
    @mracoon said:
    " So if I have the alpha version then I don't have to buy the game again when it comes out for real? "
    Also if notch's twitter is to be believed this includes expansion pack stuff, content that others will pay for you (and me, and other alpha people) will get for free.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @mracoon: That's right. Once you've bought it, you've bought it. You don't have to buy it again... unless you really want to. "
    A common misconception. If you bought the game in alpha, you get all expansions/dlc or whatever for free, and 50% off the final product. Beta is 25% off the  final product and paid expansions. 

Subject to change, as it's Notch.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Fallen189: No, that's the misconception. We've already gotten it for 50% off. We never have to buy it again. No one does.
    Notch said:
    If you buy the game, regardless of when, you never have to pay again to get the full version.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Azteck

OH SHIT, SON

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By meteora

More polish would be nice. I mean, new additions are awesome, but 1/3 of them never work properly intended or has too many bugs/glitches.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Could it be that the 15 minutes of internet fame for Minecraft has worn off and Notch wanted that sweet taste of money again? Or is it actually close to being full featured now?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
    ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ShadowKnight508

This game is so addictive already, and I can't wait to see what improvements they make to it when it is in the Beta line of development.

No Caption Provided
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By JP_Russell

Does Notch let you re-download it as many times as you want (entirely hassle free) once you've paid for it?  If not, I'll just wait for it to come out on Steam, as well.  And I'd rather not get it now anyway as I already watched X's playthrough of it and have concluded that ultimately the game would feel empty and pointless to me eventually in its current state, so I'd just be buying it to get it cheaply so I could play it at some indeterminable point in the future.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FunExplosions
    @shadowknight508 said:
    " This game is so addictive already, and I can't wait to see what improvements they make to it when it is in the Beta line of development.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Some awesome user posted an idea for biome-specific mobs. They were basically just re-skins, based on biome, but they were great. Mummies for deserts, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Notch saw the idea and is about to jump on it for Beta. It wouldn't take long at all, and Notch could implement this in a single update.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Meteora said:
    " More polish would be nice. I mean, new additions are awesome, but 1/3 of them never work properly intended or has too many bugs/glitches. "
    That's what beta is for. Typically beta is actually feature-complete, and the period is used to fix bugs and polish the game. Now, Notch will be adding new stuff during this "beta", but he's also already committed to fixing things. Alpha was mostly used for adding things, Beta will be used mostly for fixing what's there.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora
    @JP_Russell said:
    "

Does Notch let you re-download it as many times as you want (entirely hassle free) once you've paid for it?  If not, I'll just wait for it to come out on Steam, as well.  And I'd rather not get it now anyway as I already watched X's playthrough of it and have concluded that ultimately the game would feel empty and pointless to me eventually in its current state, so I'd just be buying it to get it cheaply so I could play it at some indeterminable point in the future.

"
    Yes. As long as you paid for it you can just download the execution from the website. Minecraft may never be on Steam and the price will double once it hits beta on December 20th; so you might as well pay for it now because we have no confirmation if it will ever go on Steam (which would normally mean price drops every so often). That is my understanding of how things work.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By mikemcn
    @FunExplosions said:

"  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  Minecraft  "

Minecraft? 

And your an idiot if you don't buy in now, JOIN THE CULT! We have our own clubhouse, but then someone burned it down, then we rebuilt it out of stone, then someone filled it with lava, still awesome. 
    fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By fallen_elite
    @KaosAngel said:
    Why not just buy it now? It's cheaper and you don't have extra DRM tacked on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.