Minecraft XBLA only $15 from Best Buy at launch

#1 Edited by louiedog (2333 posts) -

If you're interested in picking up Minecraft today you can get it $5 cheaper than the $20 Marketplace price from Best Buy. It's rare to see deals on XBLA codes after Amazon stopped selling them. It's even stranger for it to happen on launch day. This works both in store and on the website. The code should be delivered to your email, but it may take a little while to show up.

link

edit: The price is up to $19.99. Sorry folks. Deal is dead. People elsewhere have reported that they were still able to get it in store, but that's probably temporary as the stores update their prices.

#2 Posted by beard_of_zeus (1667 posts) -

Neato. Had no interest in this, but it's a good deal. 

Whenever I need money to buy stuff on PSN, I get digital codes from Best Buy, and usually it'll show up in my inbox within 5-10 minutes, so have no fear with regards to buying digital items from them.

#3 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Argh, I paid $12 for this on the PC in alpha, I've got like 300 hours into it...why am I suddenly tempted to buy the 360 version for $15?

WHY?

#4 Posted by emperordahc (14 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx: 4 player split screen. ;)

#5 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

@emperordahc: Yeah, that's not really appealing to me tho, I have several Minecraft-capable PCs in my house networked together, and I run my own server.

Finding out this is based on the 1.6 build of Minecraft also puts me off. Think I'll skip it for now.

#6 Posted by LevelUpAdrian (157 posts) -

My Twitter feed was saying that GAME UK's website was doing a similar thing. They were selling 2000+ MSP (or something around that number--in essence it was more than the amount needed to purchase Minecraft) for less than the price of Minecraft. Dunno how all these outlets are doing it, but good on them.

#7 Posted by Eojay (183 posts) -

I gather this is US only? :(

#8 Posted by andygazi (98 posts) -

Thanks! I was always curious so I nabbed this one.

#9 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

@cwJoe said:

I gather this is US only? :(

Best Buy will let you checkout with PayPal. Since this is an email delivery it's possible that you could google for a random McDonalds or Starbucks in Oregon (no sales tax) and use their address. I have no idea if this will work nor do I advise it, but it may work.

#10 Posted by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

I was going to hold off until they updated the 360 version more, but that's a pretty damn good deal for day 1. Might have to bite on this later.

#11 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -
#12 Posted by Philip (126 posts) -

Was not going to buy this today, this changed my mind.

This will be first Minecraft session for me.

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

yep just jumped in for the 360 version, the QL sold me on the game, very chill

*crosses fingers that it gets updated eventually*

#14 Posted by datarez (538 posts) -

@louiedog: Thanks! I finally found a use for those few bestbuy cards I had around that all had like $2 each on them.

#15 Edited by Bocam (3670 posts) -

Great, I just bought it from my Xbox.

#16 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Argh, I paid $12 for this on the PC in alpha, I've got like 300 hours into it...why am I suddenly tempted to buy the 360 version for $15?

WHY?

Felt the same way. I think it's because I recently got back into the PC version, and trying to figure out the stupid blueprints for everything is obnoxious. Looking shit up on a wiki isn't much fun.

#17 Posted by WalkerD (461 posts) -

I wouldn't be adverse to getting in on this deal if it wasn't such an old version of the game. Is this going to receive the PC version's updates at some point?

#18 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

@datarez said:

@louiedog: Thanks! I finally found a use for those few bestbuy cards I had around that all had like $2 each on them.

that was the only reason i bought this. i've already got the pc version

#19 Posted by GoombaAssassin (12 posts) -

Does anyone know for sure that these codes won't work on an Aus account? I could hook someone up with some cash if it did and they could purchase for me.

#20 Edited by imtall (4 posts) -

It says $15 on the search results page, but then when I put it in my cart it jumps to $19.99?

#21 Posted by Bumpton (441 posts) -

@imtall said:

It says $15 on the search results page, but then when I put it in my cart it jumps to $19.99?

Same problem. I'm thinking they already moved the price back up.

#22 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

WHY?

Felt the same way. I think it's because I recently got back into the PC version, and trying to figure out the stupid blueprints for everything is obnoxious. Looking shit up on a wiki isn't much fun.

Yeah definitely. The Quick Look for the XBLA version made that itch come back but damn if I don't wish they'd bring over that crafting interface.

#23 Posted by readymix (175 posts) -

If I would've known that getting the code would take several hours (still haven't gotten it), I would've paid the extra $5 to get it instantly on xbox.

#24 Posted by Hector (3354 posts) -

BestBuy probably made an error. It's back up to $19.99 now.

#25 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

WHY?

Yeah definitely. The Quick Look for the XBLA version made that itch come back but damn if I don't wish they'd bring over that crafting interface.

I end up playing Minecraft with the wiki page for crafting open on my second monitor constantly so I can easily pop over and look at stuff there. It's still not the best solution though,

#26 Posted by alfighter27 (23 posts) -

Damn. Kind of sorry I missed this.

#27 Posted by datarez (538 posts) -

Ouch, yeah it's showing at $19.99 again. I can confirm I was able to get it at the $15 price this morning. My lunch hour was successfully wasted.

#28 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

People are continuing to report getting it at store locations for $15. Ask in the game department. Someone will print it out for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.