Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Minecraft...2?

Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Nytrik

It seems anything "-craft" lately has been my addiction. Without the obvious World of Warcraft, thankfully. Starcraft has consumed all but precious precious minutes of my time, and that spare time I spend playing a little gem called Minecraft. No, Jim Raynor doesn't make a cameo, and you don't need anymore pylons to build things. You just need cubes and your tools for the rest of Minecraft time.

Minecraft is a game of creation (think Garry's Mod, but add Harvest Moon with a bit of crafting) in which you're free to do, well, whatever the hell you want. That being said, I've spent countless hours creating my own little house on my own little mountain in my own little world. All-be-it the world is actually massive in actuality, but it still remains "my own". The idea of this comes from the fact that each world in Minecraft is randomly generated and conforms to a few types or trends that I've noticed. These types I've found generally are: 

• Foresty
    • Deserty
    • Oceany
    • Mountainy

My favorite being "mountainy". There's just something about seeing a cliff reaching all the way up to the clouds and beyond that makes me want to go up there and build my house on it. 

Which is exactly what I did.

I build just like any normal human being would build in the normal world here, without the cost and the actual physical labor. You gather materials, you make things with those materials, and you use the end products. In Minecraft, there's a fairly simple crafting mechanic that works off of a 3x3 grid space in which you place the raw materials (or whatever you need) in the vague shape of what you're making. 

Yo, it's an axe. See it?
     Yo, it's an axe. See it?

It's a pretty intuitive crafting interface that I feel is extremely necessary when you start turning to discover all of the games items and products you can manufacture via the crafting interface. I would even go so far as to say you can spoil a little of the games "spark" by looking up the recipes for various items instead of just blindly trying to make whatever it is you want to make. There's a bunch of items to make, ranging from various tools to bunches of building materials and even food. Why do I need food? Well you don't get hungry, but you might be asking yourself, "Gee, I wonder why I have all of these hearts". It's not Zelda and you can't hit grass to find more hearts, but you can surely punch the crap out of a pig to get some pork and eat that. But why oh why do we need all these hearts? Just--Don't go out at night without any self protection. 

Protection.
     Protection.

Yeah, there's monsters. Lots of them depending on what difficulty you choose. The game defaults to an "Easy" setting where the number of monsters that come out at night are less numerous, but still pose a threat. These monsters can kill you and it does suck. Dying in minecraft is one of those time where you feel that sting of the realization of dying, but feel that it's necessary for the game to be exciting. Minecraft does have consequences for dying, and they do suck. Each time you spawn into a brand new world you'll receive a spawn point. This is the spawn point that you'll have forever, you cannot move it, and you cannot choose where it is. When you die, you are thrust back there, minus everything you were carrying at the time of death. Now, that doesn't mean all of your stuff is gone, it's just scattered about the ground where you died.  

ZOMBIE!!!
     ZOMBIE!!!

Now, how could I write something about Minecraft without mentioning the largest part of the game? Well gee, I don't know. I wonder what it is that you do in Minecraft. Any guesses? Me neither. 
         You mine, a lot. Everything that has to do with mining, you do it. Mineshafts and carts, pickaxes and torches, caves and dungeons. It's all under the brown and green cubed surface of Minecraft. I also feel it holds the most excitement underground. There's this childish feeling of exploration when you're digging in your mine casually gathering stone to build your giant castle and bam, there's a hole in your mine with only darkness behind it. Now, you can't just leave that there, what if you fall in? And you certainly can't just leave it unexplored.  Breaking down an entrance cube by cube revealing a massive underground cave is probably the most exciting element of Minecraft for me. Especially because underground caves are littered with monsters. So, naturally you break out your sword and have your torches ready.  

How could all of this get any better? Building, exploring, fighting monsters in your own little world. All alone. Without anyone to share it with... Except now you can! Admittedly the multiplayer is really buggy due to the game being in Alpha (yeah that Greek letter) but it gets the point across as to what the multiplayer will be when the game finally releases. Minecraft has dedicated servers with max slots for players to join and fool around. Right now, unfortunately, there's a lot of servers plagued by griefers setting all the trees on fire or breaking people's things. Players can Roleplay, or just goof around and make their favorite final fantasy sprites on the multiplayer servers. 

Due to the game being in Alpha and people being able to purchase it, it's only about €9.95. For all of us living in the U.S. who cannot translate currency, if's about 13$. Now, the cool thing about  Minecraft being for sale while it's still in alpha turns out to be that when it's fully released you will not have to buy the game again, and the price will raise to €20.00 or around $25.50. Pre-purchasing entails you to all future updates and features. Which is admittedly pretty damn cool. Half the price, and the future of the game.

Man, I'm going to go finish my underwater glass tunnel. See you in minecraft. 

Home sweet home.
     Home sweet home.
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Nytrik

It seems anything "-craft" lately has been my addiction. Without the obvious World of Warcraft, thankfully. Starcraft has consumed all but precious precious minutes of my time, and that spare time I spend playing a little gem called Minecraft. No, Jim Raynor doesn't make a cameo, and you don't need anymore pylons to build things. You just need cubes and your tools for the rest of Minecraft time.

Minecraft is a game of creation (think Garry's Mod, but add Harvest Moon with a bit of crafting) in which you're free to do, well, whatever the hell you want. That being said, I've spent countless hours creating my own little house on my own little mountain in my own little world. All-be-it the world is actually massive in actuality, but it still remains "my own". The idea of this comes from the fact that each world in Minecraft is randomly generated and conforms to a few types or trends that I've noticed. These types I've found generally are: 

• Foresty
    • Deserty
    • Oceany
    • Mountainy

My favorite being "mountainy". There's just something about seeing a cliff reaching all the way up to the clouds and beyond that makes me want to go up there and build my house on it. 

I build just like any normal human being would build in the normal world here, without the cost and the actual physical labor. You gather materials, you make things with those materials, and you use the end products. In Minecraft, there's a fairly simple crafting mechanic that works off of a 3x3 grid space in which you place the raw materials (or whatever you need) in the vague shape of what you're making. 

Yo, it's an axe. See it?
     Yo, it's an axe. See it?

It's a pretty intuitive crafting interface that I feel is extremely necessary when you start turning to discover all of the games items and products you can manufacture via the crafting interface. I would even go so far as to say you can spoil a little of the games "spark" by looking up the recipes for various items instead of just blindly trying to make whatever it is you want to make. There's a bunch of items to make, ranging from various tools to bunches of building materials and even food. Why do I need food? Well you don't get hungry, but you might be asking yourself, "Gee, I wonder why I have all of these hearts". It's not Zelda and you can't hit grass to find more hearts, but you can surely punch the crap out of a pig to get some pork and eat that. But why oh why do we need all these hearts? Just--Don't go out at night without any self protection. 

Protection.
     Protection.

Yeah, there's monsters. Lots of them depending on what difficulty you choose. The game defaults to an "Easy" setting where the number of monsters that come out at night are less numerous, but still pose a threat. These monsters can kill you and it does suck. Dying in minecraft is one of those time where you feel that sting of the realization of dying, but feel that it's necessary for the game to be exciting. Minecraft does have consequences for dying, and they do suck. Each time you spawn into a brand new world you'll receive a spawn point. This is the spawn point that you'll have forever, you cannot move it, and you cannot choose where it is. When you die, you are thrust back there, minus everything you were carrying at the time of death. Now, that doesn't mean all of your stuff is gone, it's just scattered about the ground where you died.  

ZOMBIE!!!
     ZOMBIE!!!

Now, how could I write something about Minecraft without mentioning the largest part of the game? Well gee, I don't know. I wonder what it is that you do in Minecraft. Any guesses? Me neither. 
         You mine, a lot. Everything that has to do with mining, you do it. Mineshafts and carts, pickaxes and torches, caves and dungeons. It's all under the brown and green cubed surface of Minecraft. I also feel it holds the most excitement underground. There's this childish feeling of exploration when you're digging in your mine casually gathering stone to build your giant castle and bam, there's a hole in your mine with only darkness behind it. Now, you can't just leave that there, what if you fall in? And you certainly can't just leave it unexplored.  Breaking down an entrance cube by cube revealing a massive underground cave is probably the most exciting element of Minecraft for me. Especially because underground caves are littered with monsters. So, naturally you break out your sword and have your torches ready.  

How could all of this get any better? Building, exploring, fighting monsters in your own little world. All alone. Without anyone to share it with... Except now you can! Admittedly the multiplayer is really buggy due to the game being in Alpha (yeah that Greek letter) but it gets the point across as to what the multiplayer will be when the game finally releases. Minecraft has dedicated servers with max slots for players to join and fool around. Right now, unfortunately, there's a lot of servers plagued by griefers setting all the trees on fire or breaking people's things. Players can Roleplay, or just goof around and make their favorite final fantasy sprites on the multiplayer servers. 

Due to the game being in Alpha and people being able to purchase it, it's only about €9.95. For all of us living in the U.S. who cannot translate currency, if's about 13$. Now, the cool thing about  Minecraft being for sale while it's still in alpha turns out to be that when it's fully released you will not have to buy the game again, and the price will raise to €20.00 or around $25.50. Pre-purchasing entails you to all future updates and features. Which is admittedly pretty damn cool. Half the price, and the future of the game.

Man, I'm going to go finish my underwater glass tunnel. See you in minecraft. 

Home sweet home.
     Home sweet home.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

Minecraft seems to be really taking off recently - I'm enjoying all these introductory stories. 

Haven't had a chance to play it much recently, but my current project is a large glass hotel carved in to the side of a mountain - I'll upload some screenshots when it's a bit more polished. 

Interestingly enough, it sounds like Notch is off to see Valve pretty soon - so if anyone wants to pick up this awesome game before it takes over the world, you should do it now.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Fallen189
    @TheBeast said:

" Minecraft seems to be really taking off recently - I'm enjoying all these introductory stories.  Haven't had a chance to play it much recently, but my current project is a large glass hotel carved in to the side of a mountain - I'll upload some screenshots when it's a bit more polished.  Interestingly enough, it sounds like Notch is off to see Valve pretty soon - so if anyone wants to pick up this awesome game before it takes over the world, you should do it now. "

It's all about Biomes!

Edit: Why would you use a gold sword? Gold is such a weak material.
    lawlerballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By lawlerballer

it's all about griefing lol

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By onarum

Yeah, got the alpha last week, great game, it can now be considered more of a proper game, since there are at least enemies and all, I fooled around with minecraft when the developer released the first ever version but since the whole point was just to build stuff I didn't got into it.

But now at the very least there's challenge involved, whenever I am in the surface and it starts getting late I rush back to my underground hideout :), those damn skeletons always eff me up something bad, also mining is a lot of fun, finding ore veins feels great, and the other day I found this huge cave system with lots of stuff.

And this is still in alpha after all, if the dev continues doing all this great additions to the game at the same rate I can only imagine the final build will be 200 times more awesome than it already is.

edit: also nice appartment you built youself there ;), I usually just dig a damn role in a montain put a door and call it a hideout heh, oh and you shouldn't use gold for swords, it has actually less uses then iron or even stone if I'm not mistaken, gold is juts really useful for hoes or armor.

Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nytrik
    @Fallen189: Oh the gold sword? I was just looking for something to make a sword out of for the screenshot. I play on peaceful more often than not. Unless I need like string or something. 

@onarum: Yeah, the difficulties really do make the game a good time!
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallen189
    @Nytrik said:
    " @Fallen189: Oh the gold sword? I was just looking for something to make a sword out of for the screenshot. I play on peaceful more often than not. Unless I need like string or something. 

@onarum: Yeah, the difficulties really do make the game a good time! "
    It's all about putting gold swords inside glass cases inside your mountain fortress.

Like a BAWS
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Are you Dutch?
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nytrik
    @Fallen189: They see me rollin'?
    @SammydesinasNL: No, I am not! I'm from the East coast (US).
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    @Nytrik said:
    " @Fallen189: They see me rollin'?
    @SammydesinasNL: No, I am not! I'm from the East coast (US). "
    I had a "Treasure room" where I used to put gold items inside glass cabinets. One day a hisser got inside.

That was a bad day
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nytrik
    @Fallen189:  In the most recent update skeletons can ride spiders. Yeah. Fucking skeletons on spiders man. That's a world I don't want to fight.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fallen189
    @Nytrik said:
    " @Fallen189:  In the most recent update skeletons can ride spiders. Yeah. Fucking skeletons on spiders man. That's a world I don't want to fight. "
    WHAT?!

Urgh thats like all my worst dreams come to fruition. Next up, skeletons riding hissers that shoot oozes.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum

There's a way to change your spawn point BTW, I can't find the tutorial I used myself, but I did found this one, it requires a lil bit of hacking your save data though, personally I just used that to set the spawn to my mother base and never again, I got pissed about spawning 20 miles away from it every time I died heh.

Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nytrik
    @Fallen189:  Don't even talk like that. You shut your mouth.

@onarum: Yeah, but I figured I'd keep it legitimate.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum
    @Nytrik said:  
    @onarum: Yeah, but I figured I'd keep it legitimate. "
    yeah I know what you mean, I would've built my base around the spawn point if I could, but it was in a little patch of sand in the middle of the damn ocean... also learning how to hack saves is dangerous, I had to get a hold of myself to not edit the amount of iron I had ;)
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn
    @Fallen189 said:

" @Nytrik said:

" @Fallen189:  In the most recent update skeletons can ride spiders. Yeah. Fucking skeletons on spiders man. That's a world I don't want to fight. "

WHAT?!  Urgh thats like all my worst dreams come to fruition. Next up, skeletons riding hissers that shoot oozes. "
    By hissers do you mean Creepers? And By oozes do you mean slimes? Im worried about Seamonsters. thats why ive spent hours building a fortfied port city. When the sea monsters come, I'll be ready. (Notch said at one point he'd make them I think.)  

But yea, the multiplayer, although buggy, is amazing, its so great to see a bunch of people come together and just build amazing things. I found a good, lag free server, and when i logged on I saw this.
    In the last picture i was swearing in amazement at the size of mine they dug (im a minecraft nerd, this is exciting for me.). This was just the visible portion, at the bottom they started mines going out in all directions.Keep in mind, all of this was done by collecting resources and then making stuff out of it. At the start, the entire map was just one big hilly area.  
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nytrik
    @Mikemcn: I feel like the multiplayer is the true future of this game. Single-player drives you only so far.That, and it's just genuinely fun to sit on skype or vent with a bunch of friends and shoot shit while you build something truly awesome. 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

Damn, I love this game. I'm not excited about motherfuckin' skeletons riding motherfuckin' spiders, but I'll live.  

I can't wait to finish my headquarters building.

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SammydesinasNL
    @Nytrik:
    It's just that the object on the first few images on the right features the Dutch flag's colours (red, white and blue). 

BTW is this game playable on a laptop? The free version that is.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fallen189
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    " @Nytrik: It's just that the object on the first few images on the right features the Dutch flag's colours (red, white and blue).  BTW is this game playable on a laptop? The free version that is. "
    Its heavy on Java, so if you have a good cpu/ram, yes. I run it on my laptop fine
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Driadon
    @SammydesinasNL: Should be. It's not very resource intensive by any means, so go nuts!
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nytrik
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    " @Nytrik: It's just that the object on the first few images on the right features the Dutch flag's colours (red, white and blue).  BTW is this game playable on a laptop? The free version that is. "
    It'll pretty much run on anything, free or payed. But! I feel the survival mode they offer in the payed client is really really good! Not to..you know, shamelessly plug or anything. 
    Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rehehelly

I find it weird that I love strip mining.

Then when you hit bedrock, grid mine. You get a ton of cobblestone for a fort and when you start grid mining, you get a load of ore too (potentially).

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ShadowKiller

This game seems to be really taking off, it was only a few months ago my friend showed it to me and I never heard a word about it after, but even a few guys that do COD commentaries on youtube are getting into it judging by my sub boxes. 

Of course my friend didn't show me the good side of the game and all he did was destroy peoples work for lulz.

Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rehehelly
    @ShadowKiller said:

" This game seems to be really taking off, it was only a few months ago my friend showed it to me and I never heard a word about it after, but even a few guys that do COD commentaries on youtube are getting into it judging by my sub boxes.  Of course my friend didn't show me the good side of the game and all he did was destroy peoples work for lulz. "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE7Xzu4rMZQ

I like watching this guys LP of the game, quite fun w/ good commentary. 

Games amazing. Creative or alpha.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By mikemcn
    @ShadowKiller said:

" This game seems to be really taking off, it was only a few months ago my friend showed it to me and I never heard a word about it after, but even a few guys that do COD commentaries on youtube are getting into it judging by my sub boxes.  Of course my friend didn't show me the good side of the game and all he did was destroy peoples work for lulz. "

it has like 75,000 purchases and its only just gotten into its beta format. Its gotten mentions on like the TF2 blog and things which spiked sales. When i bought it 2 months ago or so there were 25,000 purchases. Its grown a ton!

@Rehehelly said:
    " I find it weird that I love strip mining.  Then when you hit bedrock, grid mine. You get a ton of cobblestone for a fort and when you start grid mining, you get a load of ore too (potentially). "

I like making stupidly long underground tunnels for no good reason. Its weird, mining in the game sometimes just sorta pulls you in.
    Nytrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nytrik

@Mikemcn said:

@Rehehelly said:
    " I find it weird that I love strip mining.  Then when you hit bedrock, grid mine. You get a ton of cobblestone for a fort and when you start grid mining, you get a load of ore too (potentially). "
    I like making stupidly long underground tunnels for no good reason. Its weird, mining in the game sometimes just sorta pulls you in. "

I feel like minecraft has this weirdly sedative feeling when you start mining in a direction. The only thing that ever stops me is if I run out of pickaxes to be honest. Otherwise it's mine till the ends of My minecraft pseudo-earth. 
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By Davvyk

I just started playing minecraft yesterday and damn it's brilliant. Currently hollowing out a mountain to live inside but that picture of an open cast mine has inspired me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.