Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Mojang vs Bethesda... BATTLE TO THE DEATH!! I mean... frag.

• 74 results
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By swamplord666

So Notch just posted this on his tumblr

Hey, Bethesda! Let’s settle this!

I am back, and I am excited.

Marriage has been wonderful so far, and nobody sabotaged my computer while I was gone.

The only negative thing going on at this moment is the Scrolls trademark lawsuit nonsense, and I think I came up with the perfect solution:

Remember that scene in Game of Thrones where Tyrion chose a trial by battle in the Eyrie? Well, let’s do that instead!

I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors. We select one level, your select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.

If we win, you drop the lawsuit.

If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.

Regardless of the outcome, we could still have a small text somewhere saying our game is not related to your game series in any way, if you wish.

I am serious, by the way.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I fully endorse this madness. What do you guys think?

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

I also endorse this madness.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

I also also endorse this madness.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dingofighter

All legal trouble should be handled this way.

That would also mean that every lawyer would have to undergo Quake 3 training in law school, just imagine how great that would be!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By N7

I ENDORSE THE MADNESS. OOOOH YEEEEEEEEEAH!

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Get Brad all up in this!

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

Just saw this on twitter. I think I love Notch.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I too, also, in addition to, along with you guys, support this madness.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arker101

Hey, Bethesda, you should totally do this. It would make you look less of a jerk, and you could prove that you own Quake 3.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

I used to think thumb wars were the best method to resolve legal debates but this seems miles better.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By swamplord666

they need to stream the matches too to complete the final step towards reinventing gladiator matches for nerds.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Slaker117

If you don't think this is great, you are officially a bad person.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By AlexW00d

God that would be awesome.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By swamplord666

for good measure

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By onarum

That's very interesting, unfortunately it will never happen, the suits at bethesda are probably trying to figure if they have any grounds to sue Notch for this post right this instant.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Accept Bethesda isn't responsible for this, so your going after the wrong people...

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By jorbear

If only Bethesda PR was as cool as the games they make...

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

This is the best idea ever.  If this actually happens, someone needs to stream this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will endorse this madness as well.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sirdesmond

@MaFoLu said:

All legal trouble should be handled this way.

That would also mean that every lawyer would have to undergo Quake 3 training in law school, just imagine how great that would be!

Lawyers are all just professional Quake players. Now that is a world I would like to live in.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By buft

If this madness needs backing, i will sign my name where it is required

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vexxan

The single best way to settle an argument...or a lawsuit.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jozzy

However awesome this would be, I am going to play devil's advocate here and say that Notch is only saying this to:

• Gain a lot of publicity and goodwill among gamers in the world in a cheap way
    • Make Bethesda look like the bad guy here

In the end though, Notch, from what I understand of all of this, you brought this all on yourself by trying to trademark the word "Scrolls" forcing Bethesda to take action.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By turboman

1. Get some ads

2. Stream event online

3. all of Mojang's fans would watch, and game websites would give free publicity

4. Everybody wins

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By flaminghobo

Truly, this is the age of amazing lawsuit settlements, truly.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By probablytuna

I approve of this.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sitoxity

@jozzy: You're probably 100% Correct, however, Bethesda could easily use this to their advantage.

They could easily set up a way to stream this, sponsor it, get charities involved, etc. Make a huge event out of the thing and they'd not only get publicity, have a pretty neat event but also have no hard feelings for either party.

Well, one could dream that two businesses could do that.

Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By Wildfire570
    @swamplord666 said:

for good measure

This video is a necessity for any intense situation like this.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jozzy

@Sitoxity said:

@jozzy: You're probably 100% Correct, however, Bethesda could easily use this to their advantage.

They could easily set up a way to stream this, sponsor it, get charities involved, etc. Make a huge event out of the thing and they'd not only get publicity, have a pretty neat event but also have no hard feelings for either party.

Definately true, and I would love for them to accept it. Just want to be a bit more critical aboutthis whole thing because this is in essence a calculated move by Notch to portray himself as the ""good guy" and Bethesda as the ""bad guys", while in reality it's not as black and white. I think he would have a stronger argument if he didn't try to trademark the word "Scrolls" himself, which makes it hard to accuse Bethesda of being the evil trademark-trolls.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikemcn

@jozzy said:

@Sitoxity said:

Definately true, and I would love for them to accept it. Just want to be a bit more critical aboutthis whole thing because this is in essence a calculated move by Notch to portray himself as the ""good guy" and Bethesda as the ""bad guys", while in reality it's not as black and white. I think he would have a stronger argument if he didn't try to trademark the word "Scrolls" himself, which makes it hard to accuse Bethesda of being the evil trademark-trolls.

Its not Calculated, their lawsuit over the single word "scrolls" is completely idiotic even if bethesda is within its rights. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Notch is just responding with equal silliness.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jozzy

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Sitoxity said:

Its not Calculated, their lawsuit over the single word "scrolls" is completely idiotic even if bethesda is within its rights. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Notch is just responding with equal silliness.

So you think its idiotic that they try to defend their trademark on "The Elder Scrolls", which they are required to do so or they might lose it. And you don't think it's idiotic that Notch tried to trademark the word "Scrolls"? Can you explain your reasoning to me?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlightConfuse

John carmack going to drag some fools

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikemcn

@jozzy said:

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Sitoxity said:

So you think its idiotic that they try to defend their trademark on "The Elder Scrolls", which they are required to do so or they might lose it. And you don't think it's idiotic that Notch tried to trademark the word "Scrolls"? Can you explain your reasoning to me?

They trademarked two different things, Notch Trademarked "Scrolls" and Bethesda trademarked "The Elder Scrolls" These are two completely different trademarks. They cannot be expected to be mixed up. Bethesda has nothing to defend, it does not own the rights to the word "Scrolls" but some interpretations of the trademark law in Europe say that because they had the rights to "The Elder Scrolls" they automatically have the rights to the words "The" "Elder" and "Scrolls" both individually and in any combination. This is the byproduct of stupid bureaucrats getting in the way of common sense. Have you even read up on the conflict?

A while later, out of the blue, we got contacted by Bethesda’s lawyers. They wanted to know more about the “Scrolls” trademark we were applying for, and claimed it conflicted with their existing trademark “The Elder Scrolls”. I agree that the word “Scrolls” is part of that trademark, but as a gamer, I have never ever considered that series of (very good) role playing games to be about scrolls in any way, nor was that ever the focal point of neither their marketing nor the public image.
    The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jozzy

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Sitoxity said:

They trademarked two different things, Notch Trademarked "Scrolls" and Bethesda trademarked "The Elder Scrolls" These are two completely different trademarks. They cannot be expected to be mixed up. Bethesda has nothing to defend, it does not own the rights to the word "Scrolls" but some interpretations of the trademark law in Europe say that because they had the rights to "The Elder Scrolls" they automatically have the rights to the words "The" "Elder" and "Scrolls" both individually and in any combination. This is the byproduct of stupid bureaucrats getting in the way of common sense. Have you even read up on the conflict?

A while later, out of the blue, we got contacted by Bethesda’s lawyers. They wanted to know more about the “Scrolls” trademark we were applying for, and claimed it conflicted with their existing trademark “The Elder Scrolls”. I agree that the word “Scrolls” is part of that trademark, but as a gamer, I have never ever considered that series of (very good) role playing games to be about scrolls in any way, nor was that ever the focal point of neither their marketing nor the public image.
    The implication that you could own the right to all individual words within a trademark is also a bit scary.

Yes I definately read upon this conflict, but there is a lot of conflicting information. The following information seemed very convincing to me,but honestly I am not sure it's true.

"Trademarks are all about strength. Strength is gained from uniqueness (that is the more generic the term the weaker any claim for trademark becomes – trademarks have actually been lost due to becoming generic terms), market share and finally chronology (who applied for, and used the TM first).
    In “Big Mac” Mac is the strongest term, in “Mickey Mouse” it is clearly Mickey. Companies could get away with calling a burger “Big *Something*” – say the “Big Beefer”, Just like you could name a character “*Something* Mouse”. So long as it didn’t sound like Mac or Mickey – John Mouse would be fine, Michael Mouse” wouldn’t.
    In “The Elder Scrolls” that defining term is clearly Scrolls.
    Pre-notch, any mention of Scrolls + Game would automatically associate with Bethesda products, and I can only fine 1 game that is not an Elder Scrolls game with scroll/s in the title, a small word/puzzle game, and I seriously doubt they applied to gain a trademark for it.
    So the second issue is market share, or brand/company association. Simply put courts have been known to grant usage to a company who came second to market (as in another company trademarked a name first) but became the clear market leader, due to the sheer weight of association with that company and their products. A fictional example (though not totally fictional in the case of gmail in the UK) is if someone had a business called “google” that pre-dated Google. One involved in computing and the internet somehow, but relativity unknown – a court may rule that this little unknown brand would suffer no harm from having to change name and grant rights to big G, Google – no matter which came first.
    So in this case, Bethesda came first, have the stronger brand (notch has zero brand strength yet) and market share. They clearly should be the ones to own “scrolls” in the video game market.
    Seriously, this is a trademark that is literally worth hundreds of millions (if not a billion plus) to Bethesda, and worth literally fuck-all to Notch/Mojave – they are not going to have a sense of humour about this kind of thing (when it can actually destroy their Elder Scrolls trademark.
    Notch is an idiot if he doesn’t immediately realize he’s been a fool and withdraw and and all claim to the term “scrolls”, if he somehow gained the trademark in Sweden he should give it up to Bethesda, relinquish all claim to it.
    Best he can do is maybe bargain usage of the term for his game (and any directly related products), but he can’t win.
    If Notch does win in Sweden due to some odd non-EU conforming laws, or a stupid judge, then you can be almost sure that Bethesda’ll win in European court, it will cost both of them millions – millions that Bethesda will happily risk for their billion dollar TM. Will Notch? I doubt it."
    matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By matoya

I always thought Notch was a manchild. Now it's confirmed!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mikemcn

@jozzy: They have a point about how certain words in a trademark have substantial weight, but I don't see where they're getting off on how giving up rights to the word Scrolls would hurt Bethesda, how many times have People referred to Oblivion as just "Scrolls", and like they said, Notch has zero brand Strength, if he released a card game called scrolls, theres very little chance it would put a dent in their sales. I'm sure eventually Notch will change the name and this thing will end, but its really lame to see such a big scene being made out of a such a stupid conflict. Its like an argument you'd hear on an elementary school playground ("You can't call your team the Buzzing Bees, my team is the Buzzing Bombers, your just copying!")

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By UnrealDP

Thats cool i guess, but Bethesda will never go for this or atleast if i was Bethesda i wouldn't go for it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jozzy

@Mikemcn: As far as I understand it their trademark weakens when they let Notch trademark "Scrolls", which makes it easier for them to lose it in the future. I do agree that they probably should have gone for dialog with Notch first instead of the instant legal response,but Notch trying to trademark the word "Scrolls"could be seen as equally agressive. Like I said, we all want to support the industry darling little guy versus giant faceless corps, but in this case it really doesn't seem so black and white (as the Edge-stuff, for example).

I don't understand why Notch wants the name "Scrolls" so bad that he is willing to go through all this.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MrKlorox

Something tells me Bethesda will bitch out at first, then accept after the internet responds.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Origina1Penguin

+ Rep to Mojang for this. I doubt Zenimax (note: NOT Bethesda) would agree to it though.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mikemcn

@jozzy said:

@Mikemcn: As far as I understand it their trademark weakens when they let Notch trademark "Scrolls", which makes it easier for them to lose it in the future. I do agree that they probably should have gone for dialog with Notch first instead of the instant legal response,but Notch trying to trademark the word "Scrolls"could be seen as equally agressive. Like I said, we all want to support the industry darling little guy versus giant faceless corps, but in this case it really doesn't seem so black and white (as the Edge-stuff, for example).

I don't understand why Notch wants the name "Scrolls" so bad that he is willing to go through all this.

He Won't let it go to court I don't think, he'll just change it, I doubt hes that attached, although i'm sure at this point he has enough money to fight it if he had to.

Or maybe this Quake thing will work out, it would amazing if it did!

shadowwolf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shadowwolf9

I think the creator of something like Minecraft should simply be honored. Being sued by a proven gaming mammoth while you're still a toddler in the sandbox.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Gabriel

So Fucking stupid, Bethesda just gonna send Fata1ty.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By ajamafalous

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Accept Bethesda isn't responsible for this, so your going after the wrong people...

Except*, you're*

But yes, this.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jozzy

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

He Won't let it go to court I don't think, he'll just change it, I doubt hes that attached, although i'm sure at this point he has enough money to fight it if he had to.

Or maybe this Quake thing will work out, it would amazing if it did!

Aparently something similar has happend before,but with arm wrestling!

http://zogotunga.com/southwest-airlines-settled-a-trademark-disput

Southwest was sued by Stevens Aviation over their use of the phrase "Just Plane Smart." The CEOs of both companies agreed to settle the dispute by a best out of three arm wrestling match. If they lost a round, they had to pay $5,000 to the charity of their choice, and if they won 2 out of 3, they were allowed to use the phrase. Southwest lost the match, but the CEO of Stevens Aviation allowed Southwest to continue using the phrase.

There is hope!

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Eaxis

I hope this happens. Streamed live on a minecraft server.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By coakroach

All videogame legal disputes must now be solved through a videogame duel. 
    LET IT BE KNOWN.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Bollard
    @jozzy said:

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Mikemcn said:

@jozzy said:

@Sitoxity said:

Yes I definately read upon this conflict, but there is a lot of conflicting information. The following information seemed very convincing to me,but honestly I am not sure it's true.

"Trademarks are all about strength. Strength is gained from uniqueness (that is the more generic the term the weaker any claim for trademark becomes – trademarks have actually been lost due to becoming generic terms), market share and finally chronology (who applied for, and used the TM first).
    In “Big Mac” Mac is the strongest term, in “Mickey Mouse” it is clearly Mickey. Companies could get away with calling a burger “Big *Something*” – say the “Big Beefer”, Just like you could name a character “*Something* Mouse”. So long as it didn’t sound like Mac or Mickey – John Mouse would be fine, Michael Mouse” wouldn’t.
    In “The Elder Scrolls” that defining term is clearly Scrolls.
    Pre-notch, any mention of Scrolls + Game would automatically associate with Bethesda products, and I can only fine 1 game that is not an Elder Scrolls game with scroll/s in the title, a small word/puzzle game, and I seriously doubt they applied to gain a trademark for it.
    So the second issue is market share, or brand/company association. Simply put courts have been known to grant usage to a company who came second to market (as in another company trademarked a name first) but became the clear market leader, due to the sheer weight of association with that company and their products. A fictional example (though not totally fictional in the case of gmail in the UK) is if someone had a business called “google” that pre-dated Google. One involved in computing and the internet somehow, but relativity unknown – a court may rule that this little unknown brand would suffer no harm from having to change name and grant rights to big G, Google – no matter which came first.
    So in this case, Bethesda came first, have the stronger brand (notch has zero brand strength yet) and market share. They clearly should be the ones to own “scrolls” in the video game market.
    Seriously, this is a trademark that is literally worth hundreds of millions (if not a billion plus) to Bethesda, and worth literally fuck-all to Notch/Mojave – they are not going to have a sense of humour about this kind of thing (when it can actually destroy their Elder Scrolls trademark.
    Notch is an idiot if he doesn’t immediately realize he’s been a fool and withdraw and and all claim to the term “scrolls”, if he somehow gained the trademark in Sweden he should give it up to Bethesda, relinquish all claim to it.
    Best he can do is maybe bargain usage of the term for his game (and any directly related products), but he can’t win.
    If Notch does win in Sweden due to some odd non-EU conforming laws, or a stupid judge, then you can be almost sure that Bethesda’ll win in European court, it will cost both of them millions – millions that Bethesda will happily risk for their billion dollar TM. Will Notch? I doubt it."
    That vein of thinking is even more ridiculous than the whole thing currently is already! 

Take "Call of Duty." Now, considering that there are many other games which use the "Call of..." style of naming (ie Call of Juarez), then that would make this defining term "Duty". Does that mean if I go out and make a game called "Duty" which isn't even an FPS I will get my arse sued off by Activision? I severely doubt it.  

With similar thinking, shouldn't Notch also have been sued when he named Minecraft, as last time I checked Blizzard seemed to hold down all games ending in the phrase "-craft". How is that not trademark damaging do Warcraft and Starcraft? 

Lastly I can't even see how any consumer would be stupid enough to associate Scrolls and The Elder Scrolls automatically - that is some serious roundabout thinking. This whole thing seems like Bethesda's legal department being over-active.  

This isn't directed at you personally Jozzy, but I just wanted to reply to your quote.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.