Mojang vs Bethesda... BATTLE TO THE DEATH!! I mean... frag.

• 75 results
#51 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

@N7 said:

I ENDORSE THE MADNESS. OOOOH YEEEEEEEEEAH!

I came with the intent of posting this. Sir I'm happy you beat me to it.

#52 Posted by Spoonman671 (4641 posts) -

I am serious, by the way.

#53 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

Bethesda just declined

Teehee

For the Lazy, it says...

REPORT: @Notch challenges Bethesda to Quake 3 match. Bethesda declines in fear of angering legal department of Quaker Oats cereal company
#54 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -

I hope Bethesda accepts this, the I hope Notch pulls in fucking mercs. For the first time ever, Fatal1ty would not be a punchline. He'd be a folk hero.

#55 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Make it a PPV and be able to pay off the lawyer fees!

#56 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
Bethesda just declined
There goes my hopes of getting out of a speeding ticket by beating the cop at a game of Street Fighter. 
#57 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
#58 Posted by Fenrisulfr (141 posts) -

This is an awesome way to settle a dispute in the video game world. While it's not Bethesda that's doing anything, TES is still their property and thus should accept the challenge.

#59 Posted by Qodot (105 posts) -

There's not much reason to accept this challenge. If Bethesda/Zenimax even threatens legal action, Notch will have to change the name anyways. So they're already winning. What's the point in trading that for a chance of winning and a chance of losing? If Notch loses, he should give Bethesda his first-born child, or Minecraft, or something.

#60 Posted by BlaineBlaine (463 posts) -

@Qodot said:

There's not much reason to accept this challenge. If Bethesda/Zenimax even threatens legal action, Notch will have to change the name anyways. So they're already winning. What's the point in trading that for a chance of winning and a chance of losing? If Notch loses, he should give Bethesda his first-born child, or Minecraft, or something.

The only outcome preferable to settling this DM style is if Notch calls it Scroiis but spells it with capital 'i's... ScroIIs

#61 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@MaFoLu said:

All legal trouble should be handled this way.

That would also mean that every lawyer would have to undergo Quake 3 training in law school, just imagine how great that would be!

That's how it's handled up here. You know, after the freshman year curriculum of Phoenix Wright.
#62 Posted by Capum15 (4903 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
If you don't think this is great, you are officially a bad person.
This. Too bad they declined though.

This whole thing is silly, and it deserves a silly (yet awesome) ending.
#63 Edited by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -

Too bad they've declined the proposition, apparently.

When I first read that post, I imagined some Bethesda higher-up going all "OH NO HE DIDN'T" Jeff-style and making a gesture. Then, two little men would crawl up on their knees to the man, handing him a mouse and keyboard. Then, he would scream "BITCH GON' GET SMACKED" and everyone in the Bethesda offices would start yelling uncontrollably, taking off their shirts and making warpaint out of ink.

If that was the scenario in this case, I would totally buy Skyrim.

#64 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

At this time Id like to announce my new game: "The Scrolls of the Elders: Craft of the Mines", a co-production with Carbon Neutral Games.

#65 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I so want this to happen. And they have to get Michael Buffer to show up before the match and say "Let's Get Ready To Rumble."

#66 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

@Ghostiet said:

When I first read that post, I imagined some Bethesda higher-up going all "OH NO HE DIDN'T" Jeff-style and making a gesture. Then, two little men would crawl up on their knees to the man, handing him a mouse and keyboard. Then, he would scream "BITCH GON' GET SMACKED" and everyone in the Bethesda offices would start yelling uncontrollably, taking off their shirts and making warpaint out of ink.

No one said they declined.

However, Notch is a little worried.

“If it came to a Quake III tournament, I have a feeling we just might have to change the name,” Persson told Wired.com, noting that Bethesda owns the brand and has several professional Quake players on its payroll. “In retrospect, Quake III might have been a poor choice.”
#67 Posted by Ghostiet (5281 posts) -
@Mikemcn
If not, then I am excited.
#68 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Small update. This is all going to court now. I really help Notch wins. Wile I am annoyed on how he is updating the game. I can not stand behind Beth sueing over a word. I do not think you can copy right a word.

#69 Edited by afrofools (1348 posts) -

They should do an endurance run of Ace Attorney! Whoever reaches the best ending wins. EDIT: Best ending first.

#70 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:

I just pictured Todd Howard ripping his shirt off and jumping up on his desk screaming. It made me laugh. I'm sure he's not involved in this stupidness (I hope) but still. Hilarious.
#71 Edited by eloj (497 posts) -

Mojang won the first skirmish, with the Tingsrätt ("lower court") opining "Det kan således inte, vid en helhetsbedömning av det nu föreliggande materialet, anses föreligga en förväxlingsrisk mellan det ifrågasatta kännetecknet SCROLLS och varumärkena THE ELDER SCROLLS. Det finns därmed inte heller sannolika skäl för att det förekommer varumärkesintrång. Zenimax yrkande om interimistiskt vitesförbud ska därför lämnas utan bifall."

or roughly

"Taking into account all now present material, it can not be said to exist any risk of confusion between the questioned brand SCROLLS and the trademark THE ELDER SCROLLS'. Therfore, we find no probable cause for trademark infringement. Zenimax request for interlocutory injunction is hereby dismissed" 

From what I understand, this was a minor ruling on an injunction on Mojang using the name "Scrolls", so they are free to use the name for now, until there's a final ruling in the main case.

(source: FZ)

#72 Posted by WindFall259 (365 posts) -

@eloj: Good. Now those lawyers on Bethesda's side can go back to doing something meaningful.

#73 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

Yeah I'm sure this'll end well for Mojang considering they employ people who haven't played video games before Minecraft. L O L

#74 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

Zenimax sued Mojang, not Bethesda.

#75 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

I endorse all over my keyboard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.