Noraml to Not find a Cave System?

#1 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

I've been playing Minecraft for about 5 hours now. I dug myself a nice base in a mountainside made of stone, and ever since I've been mining and mining and mining. I've gone pretty far down and to the side. But I have yet to come across a preexsisting cave system. Is this normal?
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" I've been playing Minecraft for about 5 hours now. I dug myself a nice base in a mountainside made of stone, and ever since I've been mining and mining and mining. I've gone pretty far down and to the side. But I have yet to come across a preexsisting cave system. Is this normal? "
Yup. Fully normal. Listen for sounds. Maybe baddies or water. And dig to it. And there you go. 
#3 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Yup, completely normal.  Sometimes you won't find them easily, other times you'll be directly over a vast network that never ends.  In addition to listening, you can also use the cartographer to find where they are.

#4 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

....But I dont wanna run into baddies....
#5 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

Then set the difficulty to Peaceful.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@CraigAA said:
" ....But I dont wanna run into baddies.... "
That is why you listen. Plus they are not hard to kill. 
#7 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @CraigAA said:

That is why you listen. Plus they are not hard to kill.  "
Also, the only ones you really have to worry about are the skeletons.  But even they are fairly easy, as long as you have room to strafe.
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:

" @CraigAA said:

That is why you listen. Plus they are not hard to kill.  "
Also, the only ones you really have to worry about are the skeletons.  But even they are fairly easy, as long as you have room to strafe. "
Or just get em stuck on a wall. Or just set the game to peaceful. 
#9 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

I tried the game on Peaceful and while its cool to build stuff, theres no danger. Having it on easy gives you motivation because there are things trying to kill you. I want some type of driving force, but the enemies creep me the hell out sooooo I'm torn lol
#10 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: Nah. All the REAL men play in hard mode. Either way, I find that the main thing that kills me are careless walks next to lava and digging straight down, breaking through the top of a gigantic cavern. 

My first dungeon experience: Got there with one heart and no weapons, pickaxes, etc. I had been looking for my body where I died last time, but apparently if you die near a dungeon you don't get anything back. So I'm down there with nothing but blocks of dirt and stone, chipping my way around the top of the dungeon. I very carefully chip away key blocks, lure all the zombies to one side, then systematically start placing gravel behind them, each piece stacking on eachother, creating a wall. After about ten minutes I finally accomplish a complete zombie blockade. I make my way to the other side and drop down. I open the chest. A loaf of bread, one spider string, and an apple or something. Most discouraging thing on the planet.
#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Nah. All the REAL men play in hard mode. Either way, I find that the main thing that kills me are careless walks next to lava and digging straight down, breaking through the top of a gigantic cavern.  My first dungeon experience: Got there with one heart and no weapons, pickaxes, etc. I had been looking for my body where I died last time, but apparently if you die near a dungeon you don't get anything back. So I'm down there with nothing but blocks of dirt and stone, chipping my way around the top of the dungeon. I very carefully chip away key blocks, lure all the zombies to one side, then systematically start placing gravel behind them, each piece stacking on eachother, creating a wall. After about ten minutes I finally accomplish a complete zombie blockade. I make my way to the other side and drop down. I open the chest. A loaf of bread, one spider string, and an apple or something. Most discouraging thing on the planet. "
Normal is harder then hard. More spawns and what not. 
#12 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

What the hell is it with this game? I don't get it??? 

Can someone explain why I want to play this game?

#13 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -
@Psynapse said:
" What the hell is it with this game? I don't get it???  Can someone explain why I want to play this game? "
You dont, its just a fotm
#15 Posted by Empirepaintball (1393 posts) -

Use headphones!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.