Notch says you should pirate Minecraft if you cant afford it.

• 54 results
#1 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -
#2 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

fuck!

i just bought it a few weeks ago, if id known he does mind me stealing it then i could of saved myself £16.95.

i could of spend that on chips

#3 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

No they shouldn't.

#4 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

I get the feeling Notch wants to constantly be in the spotlight at least once a week.

I always see a whole article about some small thing he said constantly.

#5 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Alright, those 50 other PC games I've bin pirating for the passed 3 years are all OK now, cos devs are officially cool with piracy.

#6 Edited by Adamsons (877 posts) -
@SomeDeliCook said:

I get the feeling Notch wants to constantly be in the spotlight at least once a week.

This, it would be nice if he actually did some development instead of acting like an internet celebrity.

Its obvious why he can say this, he probably doesn't give a shit anymore. 

Minecraft has sold a ton of copies (4-5m?) so it isn't overly consequential if people pirate it now, devs are throwing fits about piracy when they haven't broken even on a game due to their development costs. (That or their game was shitty -- it didn't sell and they're using piracy as a justification.)
#7 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

He said from his rocket-powered space station from his solid gold phone device.

#8 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4542 posts) -

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

Rockets don't actually power the station. They propel it into orbit, sure, but for an actual power source, you would need some type of battery.

#9 Edited by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -

He's passionate about his work and takes pride in people enjoying it over the money which is great. I remember going to a Motorhead gig in 2007 and lemmy said "Our new album is out so go and buy it and if you can't then steal it and listening to it anyway".

#10 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

Rockets don't actually power the station. They propel it into orbit, sure, but for an actual power source, you would need some type of battery.

A battery of rockets?

#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4542 posts) -

@Vodun said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

A battery of rockets?

Oh shit.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4977 posts) -

The title of this thread is misleading. What he actually said is that you can pirate it if you don't have the money right now... but, obviously, as soon as you can afford it, you should buy it. He's not condoning piracy "just because".

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9820 posts) -

Tool.

#14 Posted by sub_o (902 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Vodun said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

A battery of rockets?

Oh shit.

A battery of shits ?

#15 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

He obviously doesn't care about Minecraft anymore. Seems Mojang doesn't either. Weekly Snapshots aren't widely publicised or anything.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@I_smell said:
Alright, those 50 other PC games I've bin pirating for the passed 3 years are all OK now, cos devs are officially cool with piracy.
You've been pirating certain games for 3 years? 

Takes me 2 days.
#17 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

@sub_o said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Vodun said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

A battery of rockets?

Oh shit.

A battery of shits ?

some kind of shit-powered rocket battery?

#18 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

Once you sell that many units and made that money, sure I guess you can say that.

#19 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5024 posts) -

@Inkerman said:

@sub_o said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Vodun said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@N7 said:

That's just stupid.

A battery of rockets?

Oh shit.

A battery of shits ?

some kind of shit-powered rocket battery?

Shit-powered rocket battery. That's the future.

#20 Posted by fieldafar (24 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@I_smell said:
You've been pirating certain games for 3 years? Takes me 2 days.

He probably lives where I live, with crap internet.

#21 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

What if I can afford to buy it, but I don't want to?

#22 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@Beforet: Then you're a dildo.
#23 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -
@Beforet said:
What if I can afford to buy it, but I don't want to?
  Lie.
#24 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

@jetsetwillie said:

i just bought it a few weeks ago, if id known he does mind me stealing it then i could of saved myself £16.95.

Just a reminder. If the owner gives a thing to someone else, it's NOT stealing.

#25 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

If we could get the astronauts to eat batteries, and then potentially shit rocket-power...

#26 Posted by easthill (351 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@I_smell said:

Takes me 2 hours.

#27 Posted by dagas (2841 posts) -

Since when do pirates need permission?

I just don't see the need for piracy anymore, these days you can buy games for 99 cents and watch as muny movies and listen to as much music as you want for 10 bucks a month. With steam sales, most people have bought more games than they want to or have time to play anyway. I could understand it when a season of a TV show cost 100 bucks on DVD and games never dropped below 20 bucks, but when you can get a pack of full length games for 5 bucks on steam and watch 10 seasons on netflix, lovefilm or whatever in a month paying a dollar per season there's really not much point.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (9976 posts) -

Hi, I had to close my studio that I poured 5 years of my life into because despite good reviews, my game didn't break even. Very popular at Pirate Bay, apparently. 4,000 seeders. This other one has 8,000! Wow! So, what's this article? Guy who is rich as fuck says that devs don't need money. Oh, well isn't that sweet? Thanks, Notch. I'll just eat my workstation instead of a burger.

#29 Posted by Korolev (1709 posts) -

Well, if he's okay with it, then I guess it's fine. However, this only applies to minecraft. If he wants to encourage piracy of a game he made and owns, that's fine.

I wonder if the rest of Mojang are happy with this policy.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2599 posts) -

I'll remember that for his next game, thanks for the heads up Notch. Though I doubt you'll be happy about that, you just said it was a-okay.

#31 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

@Vodun: Mind. Blown.

#32 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@Inkerman: A Google image search for "shit-powered rocket battery" returns depressingly mundane results.

#33 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Hi, I had to close my studio that I poured 5 years of my life into because despite good reviews, my game didn't break even. Very popular at Pirate Bay, apparently. 4,000 seeders. This other one has 8,000! Wow! So, what's this article? Guy who is rich as fuck says that devs don't need money. Oh, well isn't that sweet? Thanks, Notch. I'll just eat my workstation instead of a burger.

Who are you arguing with? Notch certainly didn't say we should pirate every game or that no devs need money. In fact, he didn't even imply that. If you think his statement will justify piracy for some people, you are wrong, those people are idiots and wouldn't buy the game in the first place.

#34 Posted by MrCaptain (365 posts) -

Read the article, got damn.

He is obviously joking, its just an answer to someone on his twitter. He also says the if you pirate the game you should feel bad.

#35 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Doesn't everyone already own a copy of MineCraft at this point? I don't know a single person who has bought the game since it actually "launched".

#36 Posted by YoThatLimp (1912 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@I_smell said:

To be fair, he is trying to download 50 at once.

#37 Posted by mosespippy (4212 posts) -

@SomeDeliCook said:

I think it's more of a case of websites desperate for clicks putting up minecraft articles because minecraft is a popular thing that people click.

#38 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

I think it's more of a case of websites desperate for clicks putting up minecraft articles because minecraft is a popular thing that people click.

Its a mixture of both. Notch also said he wants to settle a lawsuit by playing Quake, which is just stupid.

#39 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -
@Moncole said: 

More devs have to be like Notch

No they really shouldnt. 

Piracy is bad yo.
#40 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: That's a little different because musicians don't make much money from record sales and also Lemmy is great.

#41 Edited by Henny (105 posts) -

Actually the point where developers come out and say 'Piracy is cool' is approximately when:

The street cred resulting in higher sales/popularity > Loss of sales due to said words to encourage piracy

The point which I call the Piracy Ablution tipping point.

Simple maths.

#42 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -
@Henny said:
The point which I call the Piracy Ablution tipping point.
Come on people. Let's make this a thing. Wiki article?
#43 Posted by bennym6 (417 posts) -

I pirated months ago but I barely ever played. I got back into it at the end of november and bought it early december because pirateing stuff makes me feel like a douche.

#44 Posted by bennym6 (417 posts) -

Minecraft was the only game I pirated (but now I own it) besides Terraria because I can't get it on mac

#45 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Notch can say that because he made a shitload of money off a game that didn't really cost him all that much and has probably sold as many copies as it's going to. Tell the guys at Project Zomboid that you should be able to pirate their game if you don't have the money and they'll say "hey, we remember when people were doing that and it almost bankrupted us from the bandwidth costs of pirates downloading the game."

#46 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

Notch is an asshole, and anyone who doesn't know that yet has been living under a rock. He feeds on attention. Notch made something great once (which admittedly already existed in some simpler form), but since then he's just been talking a lot of nonsense.

#47 Edited by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

So he won't mind if I pirate Scrolls whenever that comes out?

I guess that's fine, but not exactly the best way to stay rich. Or in business as a game developer. But hey, if he's cool with it...

#48 Posted by Panpipe (474 posts) -

Is there a demo? Isn't that what they're for?

#49 Posted by Largo6661 (336 posts) -

Bet he wouldnt make that joke if everyone did pirate it.

#50 Posted by Brackynews (4087 posts) -

@I_smell said:

If we could get the astronauts to eat batteries, and then potentially shit rocket-power...

"Keeps going... and going... and going..." /bunny

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.