Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Notch Steps Down as Lead Developer of Minecraft

• 84 results
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Pie

If I were him everyday would be vacation day

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By mikemcn

@Pie said:

If I were him everyday would be vacation day

Yep, dude's newly married and a millionaire, he's doing alright.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By tourgen

board games and cards - O.K. I'm interested.  But can we get rid of the shitfest Java virtual machine?  Seriously, I don't like viruses and the Java VM is a huge gaping security hole.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Dustpan

Looks like Jeff was right.

Stradivari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Stradivari

You did it, Notch, you did it.

<3

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By mewarmo990
    @captain_clayman said:

so he's taking a vacation from taking a vacation?

i like this guy.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Olivaw

@captain_clayman said:

so he's taking a vacation from taking a vacation?

i like this guy.

Well when people feel so entitled to constant service that they are making charts of how many days off you had vs. how many updates your game had, you need a lot of time away from those people, you know what I'm sayin'?

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By WalkerD

Wait, Notch is going to take a much-needed vacation? From what, his vacationing?

P_R_0_G_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By P_R_0_G_Z

I think this is possibility the worst move he did. Its obvious he wants to make other games. But Minecraft isn't like other games. Its a big hit, many people would die to make a game as successful as Minecraft. Many people till this day keep making new mods everyday. On top of this, the game was finally released a couple weeks ago. C'mon, how can anyone call this game complete? I seriously think there are so many other things Notch can do with Minecraft. Its what made him the person he is now, the stuff he has now. I honestly think this game barely has that much to do. Most people seem to always be building things to keep them busy. I think the achievement system is just horrible. I mean, there have been some seriously amazing mods out there, that should of been added into the game. I just think its seriously going to be the worst move he ever did. Did you guys see "Scrolls", yeah, he will go broke after releasing that game. I honestly don't know what Notch is thinking, what makes him think that this card game will sell more then other card games? I highly doubt half of the Minecraft players will even buy this game. Then again, its totally different from their first game, like Notch said several times.

But still, we all know, no matter all the love this game MIGHT get, its not going to work out. On top of this, hes just grinding money away to make this game. I hate to bring other games into this conversion, but Terreria is a "complete" game. Minecraft is like 20% of what Terreria has. Now, I know they are totally different games, but they have the same main concept "build, kill things, get better". I can be safe by saying thats the main concept of the two games. The horrible part is Notch releases content very slowly, sometimes it blows me away how Minecraft is still TOTALLY ALIVE when many other games can have content coming out on the weekly and no one will play it.

I just think hes also shitting on Minecraft lately too, like the ideas that he comes up with are starting to be shit. The mod community is even making better gameplay additions. I mean, he introduced two different worlds, in reality, they are pretty huge but theres barely that much to do different within them. You proably never really need to go in them, in survival. I just think them adding the "dragons area" was a total dumb ass idea. Yeah its cool, finally a Minecraft boss(This game is complete, and only has one boss. Don't forget, this game lives off of mods and the community plus online. The only REAL mob they have to kill is a "dragon".) Shit, the dude is just a waste (I mean, I didn't think so at one point, but now I'm starting to think hes a dumb ass). Like seriously the dude can't make ideas by himself if his life depended on it. Shit, even Minecraft wasn't his idea.

But trolling on Notch isn't why I'm posting this. When Minecraft came out, I thought, WOW this is amazing. Its only gonna be minutes till EA comes out with their version. Till this day I'm surprised no big company never made a knock off version. I think this dude's fame is gunna start falling into parts, very soon. This card game, I honestly predict it not doing so well when its finally release. There have been so many card games in the past, and its obvious how they turn out. I mean, if Notch also decided to add "Pokemon" in the card game, then I would totally see where hes going with it. But I just dont understand where he sees money, or people wanting this type of game.

I'm not trying to be an asshole to people that love Notch cause I know there are so many of them people. I love Minecraft and keep playing it till this day. (Actually since the new terriera patch came out, I been playing that.)

I think thats is all. This is just my two cents. Seriously, how big is the card community?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Tarsier

@P_R_0_G_Z said:

I think this is possibility the worst move he did. Its obvious he wants to make other games. But Minecraft isn't like other games. Its a big hit, many people would die to make a game as successful as Minecraft. Many people till this day keep making new mods everyday. On top of this, the game was finally released a couple weeks ago. C'mon, how can anyone call this game complete? I seriously think there are so many other things Notch can do with Minecraft. Its what made him the person he is now, the stuff he has now. I honestly think this game barely has that much to do. Most people seem to always be building things to keep them busy. I think the achievement system is just horrible. I mean, there have been some seriously amazing mods out there, that should of been added into the game. I just think its seriously going to be the worst move he ever did. Did you guys see "Scrolls", yeah, he will go broke after releasing that game. I honestly don't know what Notch is thinking, what makes him think that this card game will sell more then other card games? I highly doubt half of the Minecraft players will even buy this game. Then again, its totally different from their first game, like Notch said several times.

But still, we all know, no matter all the love this game MIGHT get, its not going to work out. On top of this, hes just grinding money away to make this game. I hate to bring other games into this conversion, but Terreria is a "complete" game. Minecraft is like 20% of what Terreria has. Now, I know they are totally different games, but they have the same main concept "build, kill things, get better". I can be safe by saying thats the main concept of the two games. The horrible part is Notch releases content very slowly, sometimes it blows me away how Minecraft is still TOTALLY ALIVE when many other games can have content coming out on the weekly and no one will play it.

I just think hes also shitting on Minecraft lately too, like the ideas that he comes up with are starting to be shit. The mod community is even making better gameplay additions. I mean, he introduced two different worlds, in reality, they are pretty huge but theres barely that much to do different within them. You proably never really need to go in them, in survival. I just think them adding the "dragons area" was a total dumb ass idea. Yeah its cool, finally a Minecraft boss(This game is complete, and only has one boss. Don't forget, this game lives off of mods and the community plus online. The only REAL mob they have to kill is a "dragon".) Shit, the dude is just a waste (I mean, I didn't think so at one point, but now I'm starting to think hes a dumb ass). Like seriously the dude can't make ideas by himself if his life depended on it. Shit, even Minecraft wasn't his idea.

But trolling on Notch isn't why I'm posting this. When Minecraft came out, I thought, WOW this is amazing. Its only gonna be minutes till EA comes out with their version. Till this day I'm surprised no big company never made a knock off version. I think this dude's fame is gunna start falling into parts, very soon. This card game, I honestly predict it not doing so well when its finally release. There have been so many card games in the past, and its obvious how they turn out. I mean, if Notch also decided to add "Pokemon" in the card game, then I would totally see where hes going with it. But I just dont understand where he sees money, or people wanting this type of game.

I'm not trying to be an asshole to people that love Notch cause I know there are so many of them people. I love Minecraft and keep playing it till this day. (Actually since the new terriera patch came out, I been playing that.)

I think thats is all. This is just my two cents. Seriously, how big is the card community?

i agree with the stuff about notch. the guy has a lot of problems personality wise that have come out in the recent time of him being famous. including the shit storm with the yogscast at minecon (basically he blamed everything going wrong on them, because he needed SOMEONE to blame. when actually it was completely his fault for organizing a shitty show)..

the basic concept of minecraft is something anyone could have come up with. you dont need to be creative at all to do that idea, and whats more, its not even notches idea. he stole it, all he is is a coder who got extremely lucky with a combination of other peoples ideas (dwarf fortress and infiniminer) that made him rich.

he has never been the person to make minecraft what it truly deserves to be. it could be one of the ultimate greatest games in the history of the world but since notch is such an autistic doofus that will probably never happen, if he has anything to say about it. in the perfect world he would stop having anything to do with the game, not oversee it at all, and let people who are actual creative artists see the game to completion (including more than 2 people, so that it could be done in decent time).. notch has been treating it like a pissant indie game and its not that any more. anyways that waht i have to say about that.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Alex_V

Can't wait to see what he does next. You have to laugh at the haters in the comments - creating one of the best games of recent years virtually single-handed is apparently a monstrous crime.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Alex_V said:

Can't wait to see what he does next. You have to laugh at the haters in the comments - creating one of the best games of recent years virtually single-handed is apparently a monstrous crime.

Minecraft is heavily based on somebody else work, even Notch admits that.

Notch seems to be good only at making promises he cant keep and raking up money, so him stepping aside is a good thing.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By Jimbo

If I were him I would do absolutely fuck all productive for the rest of my life. Actually I pretty much do that anyway, but you know what I mean.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By clstirens

@G24S said:

No Caption Provided

Forgive my ignorance, but I assume that's Jeb.

Thank goodness it's Jeb getting the torch.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#65  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Jimbo said:

If I were him I would do absolutely fuck all productive for the rest of my life. Actually I pretty much do that anyway, but you know what I mean.

You do not need to be Notch to achieve these goals.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By xymox

Okay... Jens, fix your game.

(gotta pass on the torch, right?)

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By paulunga

I don't... I don't want to dig deeper into Markus Persson.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By Humanity

@TheGorilla said:

@Jams said:

@TheGorilla said:

lol, why do people seem to care so much about this?

They don't, but it takes little to no effort to post their opinions. At first I was shocked that Notch was leaving, then I was thinking how it could be better if everyone else can do their job. Hopefully. As long as he don't force everyone to go on vacation every day.

You're saying whoever made that chart doesn't care? Whoever did that is clearly balls out crazy.

I think whoever made that chart wanted to prove with factual evidence that Notch has been spending less and less time working on the game. It's the answer to the counter argument of "why are people so upset with Notch he made this awesome game." I used to play Minecraft regularly and it WAS awesome fun, but after a while it started to be grating at how the same bugs were not getting fixed yet they were adding things that made little to no sense.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By Nomin

minecraft development taking things down a notch? Best of luck to him

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CL60

Does this mean we'll get even less updates? There's a ton of stuff the modding community has done that should have already been the the game by now, simple things.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By ThePilgrums

@Jimbo said:

Well, you're in good company, as that's pretty much what Notch is doing. I swear he's vacationing more than he's working these days, a lot of the time because he "needs" to play some video game or another. Dude's lazy as hell.

If you can't tell, I dislike the guy, despite finding his product pretty fun. Him handing it off to Jens has made me pretty happy. Without him there would be no pistons, redstone repeaters, and many other cool features that started as mods. Notch was initially against all of those inclusions. Jeb calling the shots (to an extent) and also putting in a mod API can only make the game more interesting.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Corvak

Minecraft has been a perfect example of how a project can be a victim of it's own success.

A lot of us, who bought in intially, to a fun indie project with frequent updates, just started running into more and more delays, often caused when Notch went off to some convention or other, or took time off to do whatever he felt like. When mojang hired a staff, and became a company, the fun indie project we bought into basically died, and Minecraft was just another game.

Not so much that we blame him, most of us would do the same thing, but many felt betrayed at how the updates became further and further apart. Updates would go through lots of internal testing, and it was clear that "beta" was just a word without meaning by the time 2011 rolled around.

renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By renachan
    @ThePilgrums said:

@heat said:

This is great, now Minecraft will actually have a competent person in charge.

My sentiment exactly. Jeb is a better programmer, actually listens to the community/modders, and doesn't hide behind "B-BUT THIS DOESN'T MATCH MY VISION!!" when people want features he doesn't like. This is great news for Minecraft fans.

And I don't know where people got the idea the version 1.0 coming out means no more updates. In fact, they've explicitly said the opposite. As long as Minecraft is popular, it will get updates and new features.

I don't think Notch was quite that bad, but I am happier for Jeb in the driver's seat. He's done a lot of great stuff and I can't wait for him to do more, meanwhile Minecon left me a bit lukewarm about Notch. 

Also people fail at reading, thus that silly line of thought. Ignoring things like what getting Beta vs Alpha or 1.0 onwards is suppose to mean, when isn't that part of why they got the game when they did...??
    P_R_0_G_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By P_R_0_G_Z

@Tarsier said:

@P_R_0_G_Z said:

i agree with the stuff about notch. the guy has a lot of problems personality wise that have come out in the recent time of him being famous. including the shit storm with the yogscast at minecon (basically he blamed everything going wrong on them, because he needed SOMEONE to blame. when actually it was completely his fault for organizing a shitty show)..

the basic concept of minecraft is something anyone could have come up with. you dont need to be creative at all to do that idea, and whats more, its not even notches idea. he stole it, all he is is a coder who got extremely lucky with a combination of other peoples ideas (dwarf fortress and infiniminer) that made him rich.

he has never been the person to make minecraft what it truly deserves to be. it could be one of the ultimate greatest games in the history of the world but since notch is such an autistic doofus that will probably never happen, if he has anything to say about it. in the perfect world he would stop having anything to do with the game, not oversee it at all, and let people who are actual creative artists see the game to completion (including more than 2 people, so that it could be done in decent time).. notch has been treating it like a pissant indie game and its not that any more. anyways that waht i have to say about that.

Yeah, I dont really understand why he went "a-wall" on them specially on Twitter. That's weird as hell, why doesnt he just talk to them in person instead. If you look at this here: http://pastebin.com/k5SfMEiC It actually explains some of what happens and Notch just seems like a dumbass. If he did honestly approve the video and then goes nuts on yogacast over it, then the dude is a dumbass. He also said so many times how the dude can't ever stick to one project, thats why he is moving to another obviously.

But I do agree with you, Notch has been still treating Minecraft like a indie game which is dumb as hell. The game is a hit classic, that basically means he should be pumping out content all day long. Not just once a month. On top of this, I honestly think the community of Minecraft should just merge into the community of Terraria. I have no idea who made that game, but the content and just features within the games are 10x better. To be honest, I even downloaded the game illegally at first, but once I actually liked it, I bought it instantly on Steam. I even bought my brother a copy of the game. Plus the new update just came out and added so MANY things! Its amazing.

But yeah, I just wanted to say I agree with a lot of what you said. If you guys are reading this and don't own Terraria (I dont know how you dont, considering it was super cheap on Steam a couple days ago) I totally recommend buying it now.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By MaddProdigy

@Jams said:

@TheGorilla said:

lol, why do people seem to care so much about this?

They don't, but it takes little to no effort to post their opinions. At first I was shocked that Notch was leaving, then I was thinking how it could be better if everyone else can do their job. Hopefully. As long as he don't force everyone to go on vacation every day.

"They don't care, now let me tell you some of my opinions demonstrating that I care"

Edit: Not hating, just lol'd

Mechanized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Mechanized

Maybe the game with develop faster now. This game has so much insane potential, if they stuck a large team on it, it would be amazing. It's great as is, but the potential the game has is absurd. Not something you can accomplish with a small team and meager updates.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#77  Edited By MachoFantastico

For the better, Jens seems to have already been leading development for Minecraft anyway lately. Notch seems tired of working on Minecraft (which you can't blame him for). Good to hear they are continuing support.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#78  Edited By Brackynews

Good for Markus, good for Jens. I expect ultimately good for the community. Less risk of "more of the same" in future updates.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By shiro2809

Ooh, this is interesting. I'm interested to see where the future of Minecraft and Mojang will lead to.

Merricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Merricks

So the lead developer is handing over the duties of lead developer to the person who has been doing the duties of the lead developer for quite a while now. Seems like nothing more than a formality.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By chrissedoff

hand over the "reigns" huh?

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By DG991
    @Merricks perhaps an excuse for Patrick to say he doesn't get or like minecraft.
    Darkstar_Pug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Darkstar_Pug

Steeeaaam?

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By virtualpolecat

@TrueEnglishGent said:

For the better, Jens seems to have already been leading development for Minecraft anyway lately. Notch seems tired of working on Minecraft (which you can't blame him for). Good to hear they are continuing support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.