So i found a new type?

#1 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

It looks like a coppercore block, yet it has pink spots all over it. What does it do?

( could someone make a amazing thread about ALL the blocks in this game and their uses. 

Also bonus question. How do i find Iron ingiots.

#2 Posted by Sedasys (149 posts) -

Pink coppercore? I don't get you, man. Post a picture and I can help you out.
And Iron Ingots, you gotta find some iron ore (stone with copperish blobs in it, if you didn't know) and just smelt it in a furnace.

#3 Posted by TwoLines (2784 posts) -
#4 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@Sedasys:
 The thing Im talking about

And other stuff which I have no clue about.
#5 Edited by TwoLines (2784 posts) -

The first one is useless (gravel), The second one is Iron ore, which you can smelt into iron ingots.

#6 Posted by Sedasys (149 posts) -

Gravel's pretty useless, but if you keep digging it up sometimes it'll drop flint, which you can use to make a firestarter or some arrows.

#7 Posted by Teaspoon83 (622 posts) -

I carry a stack of gravel when I explore because when you place a block, it drops. So when I mine and hit the roof a cave, I can drop gravel blocks to the floor till it becomes a suitable platform for me to jump on to and then dig my way down. 

#8 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -

Ah, so they're not entirely useless. That's good to know, at least.

#9 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I always carry a stack of gravel around with me when I go spelunking. Like Teaspoon83 says, it's great for dropping down long drops, a handy/cheap way to block/soak up lava or water and if you ever need flint, you can just put the gravel back down and try breaking it over and over again. 

If this wasn't in the Minecraft forum, that would sound so strange.

#10 Posted by TwoLines (2784 posts) -
@TheBeast: Great hints, never thought about using gravel that way. Thanks!
#11 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@TheBeast: So could you help me with another problem? 
I mining what looks like gold ore, yet when i mined it I got nothing from it. I found about 5 blocks of it. 
Is it broken or is this how gold ore works? Like a chance to get some?
#12 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@AmonHouston said:
" @TheBeast: So could you help me with another problem?  I mining what looks like gold ore, yet when i mined it I got nothing from it. I found about 5 blocks of it.  Is it broken or is this how gold ore works? Like a chance to get some? "
I think you need a certain pickaxe to receive the items from higher quality metals or something like that.
#13 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@AmonHouston: What did you mine it with?
#14 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -
@LordAndrew: With a... the second lowest pickaxe. im having trouble finding enough Iron ore.
#15 Edited by Bass (692 posts) -

You need a wood axe to mine stone, or coal.
Im not sure, but you probably need a stone axe to mine iron (wood's useless for digging as soon as you get some stone anyways). 
You need an iron axe or higher to mine gold, redstone, or diamond. 
You need a diamond axe to mine obsidian. 
You cannot mine bedrock (adminium).

#16 Posted by Shadowsquire (362 posts) -
@Teaspoon83: Thank you kind sir for this amazing tip! I have so much damn gravel and never thought of a use for it!
#17 Posted by Cataphract1014 (1313 posts) -
@Teaspoon83 said:
" I carry a stack of gravel when I explore because when you place a block, it drops. So when I mine and hit the roof a cave, I can drop gravel blocks to the floor till it becomes a suitable platform for me to jump on to and then dig my way down.  "
Gravel is super helpful around lava too.  You can remove an entire pool of lava by dropping gravel in it rather than just covering it with stone.
#18 Posted by freeground (83 posts) -

What's the block with green specks on it? I found a whole bunch of them by a monster spawn.
#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@freeground: One of these? I just came across one too.
#20 Posted by freeground (83 posts) -

Damn I thought it was worth something :(  
I mined a ton of it. What a waste.
#21 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -

I'm sorry, but can't you people read a wiki? That's kinda where all this information is put out plainly and easy to read.

#22 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
@freeground: It's quite unique at the moment, you can only find it around dungeons, so you could always decorate your base with it as a memento for all your adventures.
#23 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@SL33TBL1ND: And how would one search for something unknown? The only thing I had to go on was that it was green, and the word "green" never appears on the page. I only knew what it was because I had already heard of it. To find information on it he would have had to look look through a list of every block in the game, so asking here is both easier and less likely to reveal things that one doesn't want to know about just yet.
#24 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Something you don't want to know about yet? In the category of blocks? Like what?
#25 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@SL33TBL1ND: Sometimes there's just stuff people want to experience themselves. This applies to any game, not just Minecraft. If someone just wants to know one specific thing, I have no problem with helping if I know the answer.
#26 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Sure, but does it really require a thread?
#27 Posted by LordAndrew (14417 posts) -
@SL33TBL1ND: freeground kept it in this thread, which is fine. But the initial post would not fit in a different thread, no. No need to derail another topic. It's in its own thread, so if anyone doesn't want to read it they can completely avoid it. You don't seem to be a fan of such topics, so feel free to ignore them.
#28 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -
@LordAndrew: Fair enough, good day.
#29 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -
@AmonHouston: The minecraft wiki lists all the block types and their uses.
#30 Posted by Empirepaintball (1389 posts) -
@freeground said:
"Damn I thought it was worth something :(  I mined a ton of it. What a waste. "

Lol!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.