Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

So now that 1.5's out

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How do you guys feel about the over all update that came out this morning Beta 1.5?

1) I personally really like the weather, I feel I get slightly better FPS than before which is a plus too.
    2) The Achievements to me seem quiet few but notch said of course he would add more. I'm not one for achievements to begin with but they are a nice addition.
    3) The boosters seem to give very little actual "boost" it almost makes me not want to replace my glitched boosters. I understand I guess why he did this, this is a creative game so you can't have 1 booster and boom you are done. However I do feel they should add more of a boost than in its current state.
    4) Detector rails have some potential to do some cool things like open doors traps etc for escape map designers.

Overall its a nice update I personally really am looking forward to piston additions. 
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

He's added achievements?

That's repulsive. One of the big draws of Minecraft for me is the high level of immersion, having a fucking box pop up every so often is just going to ravage that feeling. Assuming they're handled the same way as every other game in the achievement bandwagon, anyway.
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By soldierg654342
    @GunslingerPanda said:

" He's added achievements?
    That's repulsive. One of the big draws of Minecraft for me is the high level of immersion, having a fucking box pop up every so often is just going to ravage that feeling. Assuming they're handled the same way as every other game in the achievement bandwagon, anyway.
    "

They basically are. I booted it up after updating and there was a window in the top right that basically said "Hit the inventory key for an achievement!" But there wasn't any sound though, so I guess theirs that. 
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#4  Edited By vigorousjammer

sounds cool.  I'm most excited about the detector rails.
    achievements are cool too, it'll give me more stuff to do in-game.

a few things I'd still like to see in future updates:
    - some sort of procedural map system
    - more materials
    - obsidian weapons & armor

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @GunslingerPanda said:

"
    I can see where you're coming from.  I'm not sure if there's an option to turn them off, but there should be.
    But I don't think they really get in the way, they basically seem to be there to help guide new players..  Advising you to collect wood, then make a work bench, etc.  I think having a guide with some goals to try and achieve is far better than adding any kind of story or quest system.

The biggest improvement with the update for me has been to the server.  I'm one who wasn't able to connect to a server without having extreme lag that stopped the world from loading correctly and made it so you couldn't even pick up any blocks.  So I look forward to finally being able to play online with some friends.
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Well I just loaded it up, and I can't find an option to turn off Achievements. Pretty terrible.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

Don't know where the vitriol comes from with achievements. I loaded up Mincraft and it didn't get in the way at all. If anything I enjoy having a goal to work towards instead of just roaming around.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @MonetaryDread said:
    " Don't know where the vitriol comes from with achievements. I loaded up Mincraft and it didn't get in the way at all. If anything I enjoy having a goal to work towards instead of just roaming around. "
    It probably depends on what kind of player you are. I much prefer to set my own goals than to be told "Hey this is what you have to do." There's no reason not to include them, so long as they can be turned off. Which they can't right now, apparently.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By time allen
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    " Don't know where the vitriol comes from with achievements. I loaded up Mincraft and it didn't get in the way at all. If anything I enjoy having a goal to work towards instead of just roaming around. "
    It probably depends on what kind of player you are. I much prefer to set my own goals than to be told "Hey this is what you have to do." There's no reason not to include them, so long as they can be turned off. Which they can't right now, apparently. "
    nobody's forcing you to complete achievements
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Toms115 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    It probably depends on what kind of player you are. I much prefer to set my own goals than to be told "Hey this is what you have to do." There's no reason not to include them, so long as they can be turned off. Which they can't right now, apparently. "
    nobody's forcing you to complete achievements "
    Yes they are. Just went back into my old world and started cutting a tree for wood. Fucking achievement popped up. Looks like I'm gonna have to put up with this when I want to craft something, too. So yes, I am being forced out of the immersion I play minecraft for.
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    Yes they are. Just went back into my old world and started cutting a tree for wood. Fucking achievement popped up. Looks like I'm gonna have to put up with this when I want to craft something, too. So yes, I am being forced out of the immersion I play minecraft for. "
    Did an achievement beat up your dog or something? It's just a little fun for those who enjoy them. I can imagine Minecraft being intimidating to a newcomer, what with everything you can do, so I'm glad Notch added something that acts as a guide. This is basically digital Lego; I'm not sure if immersion was ever the point behind Minecraft.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By time allen
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    Yes they are. Just went back into my old world and started cutting a tree for wood. Fucking achievement popped up. Looks like I'm gonna have to put up with this when I want to craft something, too. So yes, I am being forced out of the immersion I play minecraft for. "
    you might want consider chopping some trees down in real life, then. or just get over it.
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @SoylentGreen: I didn't say "BLARGARGLE I HATE ACHIEVEMENTS THEY SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE OF PAIN AND RAPE"
    I said I don't like Achievements, they don't fit the way I like to play Minecraft, and I want the option to turn them off. Not complete removal, just a choice. I really don't give a shit how others play their game and have no interest in changing it, so why should the way I play my game be affected by the brain-dead masses' love of having a fatuous point system in place so a little message can pop up to tell them they did good and they can wag their little tails?
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Taklulas
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Toms115 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @MonetaryDread said:
    Cry moar. srsly.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Subjugation
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @SoylentGreen: BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!
    "
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Nevermind, turns out Minecraft is for the CoD crowd now, or something.

Also where have all the good trolls gone?
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @GunslingerPanda: I see your point, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. It's just a little box that pops up every now and then, not some condescending remark about your intelligence.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @Toms115: 

No Caption Provided

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GunslingerPanda
    @SoylentGreen said:
    " @GunslingerPanda: I see your point, but honestly it's not that big of a deal. It's just a little box that pops up every now and then, not some condescending remark about your intelligence.Different strokes for different folks, I guess. "
    That's kinda of what I was trying to say, but apparently some of these idiots though my words meant:
    "BLARGH I HATE IT KILL IT KILL IT"
    CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CABBAGES

@GunslingerPanda:
    Thats such a stupid complaint.

But if they bother you that much why dont you get all the achievements then they cant pop up anymore coz you will already have them ?

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Agent47
    @Jmangino: Dude I was so bummed out I haven't my Craft in days because it was sucking up my RAM and I have a standard PC nothing high edge but not junk enough to run Minecraft, yet it was sooo choppy I kept getting pissed.So I go on today get the update and HOLY FRIGGIN MEXICAN DICKTITS!Minecraft runs as smooth as butter! I don't know what they did but I am having no problems now, now I can fully enjoy it!
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time allen
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @Toms115: 

No Caption Provided

"
    so much offend
    skellboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By skellboy

Well I'm assuming that Notch will eventually add the option to stop the achievement pop-ups or something similar. 

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Leptok
    @GunslingerPanda said:
    " @SoylentGreen: I didn't say "BLARGARGLE I HATE ACHIEVEMENTS THEY SHOULD DIE IN A FIRE OF PAIN AND RAPE"
    I said I don't like Achievements, they don't fit the way I like to play Minecraft, and I want the option to turn them off. Not complete removal, just a choice. I really don't give a shit how others play their game and have no interest in changing it, so why should the way I play my game be affected by the brain-dead masses' love of having a fatuous point system in place so a little message can pop up to tell them they did good and they can wag their little tails?
    "
    You didn't say those exact words, but damn it sure sounds like it.
    vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#25  Edited By vigorousjammer
    @skellboy said:
    " Well I'm assuming that Notch will eventually add the option to stop the achievement pop-ups or something similar.  "
    The option to turn off notifications would be welcome.  Honestly, it doesn't bother me much.
    thecosmicfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thecosmicfly

Spent 5-6 hours trying to build a replica of a hot air balloon with multiple colours of wool last Friday, then it started to pour down with rain. I hear a thunder clap closer than usual, then I turn around and see a block on fire. The whole thing burns down. To cut a long story short...

Why he thought to add a gameplay element that goes against one of the largest appeals of the game is beyond me. Oh sure, half of everything ever created by everyone in Minecraft is flammable, but it's totally OK because Notch thought it would be cool that when zombies are struck they turn into pigmen. That's super justifiable.  

Don't really have any complaints about the Achievements/Statistics tracking though, except with the first batch being a tad predictable and downright insultingly easy to get. If there's one thing the single player portion of the game needs, it's more directions and goals to aim for.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe you should have to put lightning rods up to stop lightning hitting other, flammable things.

thecosmicfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thecosmicfly

@drag said:

"maybe you should have to put lightning rods up to stop lightning hitting other, flammable things. "

Or simply not make lightning destroy anything and keep it as an aesthetic choice, or only allow it to supercharge/alter mobs. Having forests constantly catching fire and discovering your own home burnt to cinders while you were out looking for a mine just seems completely unfair to me. I also don't like the idea of having to create dozens of ugly ass rods around my creations with the constant fear that if I don't space them correctly BOOM everything will be gone in an instance.

In all fairness I'm probably being too scornful about this. There are ways of retrieving save files (I couldn't in this case since it was our groups multiplayer server) and someone out there is probably making a mod that'll allow you to turn off weather. That is, until Mojang makes another update that screws up everyones previous mods and kits. Thats the wonders of playing a game still in development I guess. Also, note to Notch; Beta is the phrase of the development process where you start removing glitches, not constantly adding shit to the game. Try to focus on getting the game to run smoothly and making existing elements bug free instead of worrying about rain/snow. At this point the community has the content side covered.    

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

Someone's really arguing that Minecraft is immersive? I.... but... how? Everything is blocky and the way everything behaves in that game is in conflict with any sense of realism possible. There's no hooks to get immersed. Addictive yeah, but not a very immersive game. 

GamerDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GamerDub

Don't you know! Every game is adding achievements it creates a sense of satisfaction. People have realized achievements will increase the replay value of the game based on trying to complete all the achievements. They are scaled from easy to god-like to keep the game interesting. Minecraft doesn't really fit into the achievement status, I think Notch misjudged this one. It's more of a free-roam creative game instead of a competitive game. However achievements will keep achievement whores coming back for MOAR! 

I'm split in my decision really...
    GamerDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GamerDub
    @Toms115: haha the caption for your photo "I have the weirdest boner right now" 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By CL60
    @GunslingerPanda: Really? Your complaining about losing immersion in a game because a box occasionally pops up in the corner while you're running around in a world made of cubes which sometimes fly?
    BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BitterAlmond
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:

"

They basically are. I booted it up after updating and there was a window in the top right that basically said "Hit the inventory key for an achievement!" But there wasn't any sound though, so I guess theirs that.  "
    The achievements seem like a substitute for a tutorial to me. Before, nobody had any idea what to do in Minecraft without a beginner's guide or a friend to show them. Achievements provide a bit of guidance to begin with.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jmrwacko
    @dudeglove said:
    " @thecosmicfly said:
    "

Spent 5-6 hours trying to build a replica of a hot air balloon with multiple colours of wool last Friday, then it started to pour down with rain. I hear a thunder clap closer than usual, then I turn around and see a block on fire. The whole thing burns down. To cut a long story short...

"
    I think I might've laughed way too damn hard at that picture. Beautiful, sir, beautiful. "
    Haha owned.

Trolololololo
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By mikemcn
    @jmrwacko said:

" @dudeglove said:

" @thecosmicfly said:
    "

"
    I think I might've laughed way too damn hard at that picture. Beautiful, sir, beautiful. "
    Haha owned.Trolololololo "
    I thought fires we're put out in the rain...

And I thinking some people forget that its Minecraft "Survival" Multiplayer, creative is where you build things. 
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By dichemstys
    @BitterAlmond said:
    @SoldierG654342 said:
    " @GunslingerPanda said:

"

They basically are. I booted it up after updating and there was a window in the top right that basically said "Hit the inventory key for an achievement!" But there wasn't any sound though, so I guess theirs that.  "
    The achievements seem like a substitute for a tutorial to me. Before, nobody had any idea what to do in Minecraft without a beginner's guide or a friend to show them. Achievements provide a bit of guidance to begin with.
    Perfectly said. I had no idea about farming before the achievements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.