So, the Minecraft world is bigger than Uranus.

#1 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

*snicker* No, seriously. The total of the Minecraft world has a diameter of a total of 64,000 (converted) kilometers. Uranus "only" has a diameter of 51,000 kilometers. It'd be crazy if all of those areas could be instanced together at some point.

Not sure if this is... Education Spam or what have you, but I thought it was worth sharing. Have a look-see:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120312.html

Wild, huh?

#2 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

It would be more impressive if it was actually real.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

I don't know... Uranus is pretty big.

#4 Posted by ch3burashka (5176 posts) -

*snicker*DAMMIT!

And yes, you're right - it would be cool if Minecraft existed all at once, rather than how far you can see. At least Uranus exists all at once, at least, I think it does...

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Yah, but Uranus is also created with physics, that can be manipulated in less obese ways then minecraft. I.E. I don't have to mine in cubic blocks. I would rather have a planet the size of the Moon if that meant I could have all the wonder and awe of the Earth.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10330 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

So would your face, cartoon Karl Pilkington.

#7 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@KarlPilkington said:

So would your face, cartoon Karl Pilkington.

How do we know that Uranus is real?

#8 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

I dunno, I think there's something pretty interesting about all the collective minds of the community at work creating that much "space," as virtual as it is.

#9 Posted by AlexW00d (6385 posts) -

Wait is Uranus really like 10% of the size of Russia?

#10 Posted by Irvandus (2885 posts) -

So what your saying is I should make Inaba as big as Uranus.

#11 Posted by pyromagnestir (4333 posts) -

*reads thread title, giggles, feel ashamed at my immaturity*

That is pretty crazy though. Now excuse me before I make some sordid penis/minecraft/uranus joke.

#12 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Minecraft has creatures and I have heard that uranus is a dead wasteland. But seriously that's actually pretty cool.

#13 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Yeah somethings not right here, wikipedia says Uranus has the surface area of nearly 16 Earths.

#14 Edited by believer258 (12084 posts) -

I did not know there was any such thing as a "light day".

I always find this stuff fascinating - that our universe is this huge and we've not even discovered a percentage of the things in it. Were I given the choice to become an immortal being of some sort - and I don't especially want to become irreversibly immortal, in this life at least - learning everything out there would be quite a treat and probably one of my favorite perks of not dying.

EDIT: Also, look at that while listening to this:

#15 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

@AlexW00d said:

Yeah somethings not right here, wikipedia says Uranus has the surface area of nearly 16 Earths.

Diameter.

Earth's mean radius is 6,371.0 km.

#16 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

@AlexW00d said:

Gas planet, they're probably talking about actual solid surface or something.

#17 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

My good sir, you obviously have not seen my anus!

#18 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Yeah uranus is pretty big gurll..

#19 Posted by n11n12 (101 posts) -

I dunno man, I bet you could do a three point turn with a school bus in...

Wait, what are we talking about again?

#20 Posted by kindisaurus (2791 posts) -

That is a really neat site, thank you for sharing.

#21 Posted by Shivoa (642 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

@AlexW00d said:

Diameter (Uranus figure) and length of one side (Minecraft PC is a square of limited depth)

Uranus has a surface area of 4 pi r^2 (about 8,170,000,000 square km), Minecraft has a surface area of l^2 (4,096,000,000 square km)

So Uranus has about twice the surface area of the Minecraft PC world thanks to the difference between a plane and a surface of a sphere that means they're visually about the same 'size' due to diameter/longest edge comparisons.

#22 Posted by KarlPilkington (2769 posts) -

@Shivoa: I am not prepared for this =(

#23 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

It probably smells better too. Get it? Get it?

...I'll see myself out.

#24 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Are you calling me fat?

This is actually fascinating. I'm not sure which aspect is the most fascinating, though: the size of the virtual world of Minecraft, or the fact that someone has measured it.

#25 Posted by Cynically_Happy (50 posts) -

How does one go about measuring the minecraft world?

#26 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -
#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

SPACE IS SCARY

#28 Posted by Shivoa (642 posts) -
#29 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@CL60 said:

SPACE IS SCARY

I thought the Japanese Spider Crab next to the human scale model was more unnerving than the wonder of space, myself. O_O

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.