Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

The quest to make a mountain fortress.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

Greetings fellow Minecrafters! I hope the earth is good, and the steel is flowing well. After several conceptual nightmares regarding stupid huts, I decided to finally make a full castley fortress base. I initially considered creating a giant land castle, but that's a fancy, lady elf thing to do. With the assistance of my Dwarf Fortress experience, I thought to myself "The game is called MINEcraft", so I set into the world with 5 stone picks, a sword, and a chest, and decided to go find my ideal dream home.

After much exploration, and uneventful vistas with nothing more than sand and cows...I found it.

No Caption Provided

A deep, deep valley with everything I could want. Sand for smelting into glass. Water for running streams. And a fuck off mountain in which I could mine to my hearts content.  Now...how to get down there...

I eventually decided to construct a small mud hut, in which I would use it as a sort of "Tool shed". From here, I knew I could get to work proper, when the sun rose the next morning. I erected my house quickly before monsters came, and managed to barricade myself until the morning light vanquished them. Using this now as a small base, I popped down a forge, chest and costruction table, and wondered where I should go from here. My dwarven intuition kicked in, as I began to tear the mountain itself asunder, in order to create a paradise away from the world. This was where I finally chose.

No Caption Provided
    There's always animals on the roof of  wherever I choose. Always watching. Waiting.

Some time later, I'd began carving out the rock in a way I was comfortable with. I had a plan in my head.

The cows must be elsewhere...
     The cows must be elsewhere...

And some time later, I had finally come up with a semi working door system, in which I was now confident to call my new home.

No Caption Provided

I knew that eventually, I'd have to actually nut up and dig deep, creating my very own little fortress. After some aesthetic cleanups outside, and a bit of housekeeping, I decided to enter the mountain, and show it who's boss. From here, I made a 10x10x10 space inside, where I could finally get things going. No steel yet, but plenty of coal.

No Caption Provided

Oh, and then I made a little dungeon outside, inspired by the Rancor pit from Return of the Jedi. 
    Practical? Sure
    Working? To an extent
    Reasoning?...To show the livestock that was ALL UP IN MY SHIT who was boss.

No Caption Provided
    The roof was glass so they could look in and see their pork brother be flooded to death. To my knowledge, he's still in there...

From here, my initial day plans were complete! I remade my mudhut toolshed with stone, for a little element of class. Also mud is for jerks and poor people. With a bit more tweaking, aesthetics, and overly gaudy decorations, day 1 was complete, and my fortress was finally coming to shape. Good show!

No Caption Provided

Tune in more tomorrow, where I hope to make upstairs and downstairs, explore to try and find lava, and also, make a giant path from my spawn point, to my base. To give you an idea of how far that is, please see this map.

No Caption Provided
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FirePrince

What is this game?I've been hearing about it from alot of people.A MMO of some sorts?
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fallen189
    @FirePrince said:

" What is this game?I've been hearing about it from alot of people.A MMO of some sorts? "

It's a block based, single player sandbox world, with an emphasis on building. There will be a multiplayer soon, but it's still early days. 2-3 weeks to go. Essentially, you break down blocks (Soil/stone/steel) and use them to create other things. It's very time consuming. Think a lego style, 3d open world, with procedurally generated content Ad nauseam.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FirePrince
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @FirePrince said:

" What is this game?I've been hearing about it from alot of people.A MMO of some sorts? "

It's a block based, single player sandbox world, with an emphasis on building. There will be a multiplayer soon, but it's still early days. 2-3 weeks to go. Essentially, you break down blocks (Soil/stone/steel) and use them to create other things. It's very time consuming. Think a lego style, 3d open world, with procedurally generated content Ad nauseam."

One word: 
    Interesting.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

This sounds really ambitious...but then again it's been a while since I've played so they might have improved the mechanics since. Good luck with that anyway!

Thegerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Thegerman

I played it... and found it totally boring... Just get garry's mod already.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By thebeast

Awesome looking fortress - wish I had the foresight to build mine in a cliffside rather than ending up creating the whole thing from the ground up. At least it looks impressive. 

Looking forward to seeing how multiplayer turns out - would be great to have some sort of persistent multiplayer world where we can all create some massive sprawling city...  

For those that have played it before and found it crappy; so did I - the guy who makes it recently (about a month ago) basically started from scratch - the new version is only available to people who buy it, but it is a significant improvement over the 'original' Minecraft. 

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions

The second screenshot. Is that a pink gorilla on top of that mountain?

Pretty cool. I'm excited to see how you progress through this. I played an mmo like this before... I completely forgot the name and only played it for a couple hours. Needless to say the whole thing was just overall too time-consuming for me. With crafting, building, exploring, mining, etc. all being things that you could only do once you spend hours tackling the foreign interface and abysmal tutorials, I just couldn't see myself sticking with it for long.

This game looks much more approachable, so I'm eager to see more of it (from someone else's cropped perspective). So yep, keep it up!

kanskytime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kanskytime

Looks amazing, what a great idea. I can't wait to see all your progress. Good luck.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallen189
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " This sounds really ambitious...but then again it's been a while since I've played so they might have improved the mechanics since. Good luck with that anyway! "
    A shit ton of stuff gets added in all the time. An update every 2/3 days adding this and that.

@FunExplosions said:
    " The second screenshot. Is that a pink gorilla on top of that mountain?  Pretty cool. I'm excited to see how you progress through this. I played an mmo like this before... I completely forgot the name and only played it for a couple hours. Needless to say the whole thing was just overall too time-consuming for me. With crafting, building, exploring, mining, etc. all being things that you could only do once you spend hours tackling the foreign interface and abysmal tutorials, I just couldn't see myself sticking with it for long. This game looks much more approachable, so I'm eager to see more of it (from someone else's cropped perspective). So yep, keep it up! "

It's a pig. Livestock seems to be getting much more eager to just be ballsy as hell at the moment. I've also seen them suiciding. They're planning something...
    Was the game Wurm online?

@TheBeast said:
    " Awesome looking fortress - wish I had the foresight to build mine in a cliffside rather than ending up creating the whole thing from the ground up. At least it looks impressive. 

Looking forward to seeing how multiplayer turns out - would be great to have some sort of persistent multiplayer world where we can all create some massive sprawling city...  

For those that have played it before and found it crappy; so did I - the guy who makes it recently (about a month ago) basically started from scratch - the new version is only available to people who buy it, but it is a significant improvement over the 'original' Minecraft. 
    "

I wanted to make lava waterfalls to make it seem more menacing, but I couldn't find any. It made me sad.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Fallen189: Yeah! That was it. Wurm Online seems to have some serious potential, I just don't think I'm gonna be the one to unleash it.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thebeast
    @Fallen189: If you find a lava source, I think you can put it in a bucket and create your own... 
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By beargirl1

i have no idea what's going on in this game but this has to be the most interesting thing that i have read this week

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Dude I love Minecraft. 

That's some ambitious shit man, in Survival too.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By vager

Looks sweet. Haven't played Minecraft in over a year. Seems like they changed quite a bit. 
    Your fort reminds me of Dwarf Fortress.

Also, Wurm Online is awesome. One of my Top 5 games ever.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fallen189
    @TheBeast said:
    " @Fallen189: If you find a lava source, I think you can put it in a bucket and create your own...  "
    I tried to dig down, but I've learnt my lesson once before. The hunt for lava is dangeous. I can't dig too deep and too greedy lest I fall in it.
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By empfeix

nice post I await the next installment 

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aas

After reading this I bought the game. So good. Thanks, man!

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fallen189

More as it comes. It's taken a while just because nothings really happened. I got lost in the wilderness somehow, and it took me about 3 hours to make it back to my fort. Will likely have an update today/tomorrow. Stay tuned!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By c1337us

Minecraft seems to be a pretty polarizing sort of product. I couldn't get into it though.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thebeast

Looks like Minecraft is about to become a whole lot more popular thanks to the TF2 blog.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189

Images being uploaded to my gallery sporadically as I adventure through this place I've found. Expect a full update later on tonight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.