The Yogcast Youtube series.

#1 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -

Has anyone else come across this?! I was just deciding whether to buy minecraft so started watching these videos by these 2 dudes. I found it very entertaining in the way they interacted with each other and i it made the videos really fun to watch, they are really good at being generally funny. SO i started watching these videos and all of a sudden, around episode 20 things just go mental!  

And what i want to know, is this what minecrafts actually like? or have they set all this up to make some incredible videos? Because if minecraft is really this creation game where slowly quests and weird people appear thats AMAZING! 

So, is it real?!
#2 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

I already know all the in's and out's of the game, and I just finished Ep. 1.
So far it's just a multiplayer game, but yes that's exactly how it works.

I'll update this when I get further on! And thank you for the tip, these guys are great :)

#3 Posted by bezzo (5 posts) -

I just watched a bunch of their videos too. They were cracking me up. I think towards the end of those videos when the NPCs show up, its all staged. They had someone else controlling Old Peculiar, Israphel etc. (I think this is the one your referring to) But, other than that all the game play aspects are true to minecraft.

#4 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

OMG YES! I started watching their Cataclysm beta videos back in October and I've been a fan ever since.

The quests and all aren't real. It's just people on their server RPing. Nobody really knows for sure if it's staged or if they genuinely had no idea what was happening. They're videos are awesome either way. If you really like Simon & Lewis (the 2 guys who play), you should go to their website and check out their podcasts, they are hilarious.

#5 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Alright, just got back from Episode 6 with the pyramid. 
Yeah I started suspecting their awareness when the camera guy had a steel pick with them not even mining anywhere close
to steel. And the pyramid is player-built. It's made of smoothstone which the other guy started making a few videos back.

So to answer your question, no.

#6 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -
@Vlademir said:
" OMG YES! I started watching their Cataclysm beta videos back in October and I've been a fan ever since.

The quests and all aren't real. It's just people on their server RPing. Nobody really knows for sure if it's staged or if they genuinely had no idea what was happening. They're videos are awesome either way. If you really like Simon & Lewis (the 2 guys who play), you should go to their website and check out their podcasts, they are hilarious. "
And about the server, yeah it's a Hamachi server (it's a virtual LAN/simulated LAN over the internet basically) so the only ones that could access the server
would have to know the name & pass of the Hamachi server first. Also, it's not dedicated so the host must have been online at all times... 

I'm gonna go with the fact that the video creators knew all about this and staged it.
But yeah, great comedy!
#7 Edited by benpicko (2010 posts) -

Toby Turner is going to do a Minecraft Let's Play. 

TobyTurner + Minecraft = Fountain of Win. 

Edit: I watched all of these, and this is also a fountain of win.

#8 Posted by JBird (489 posts) -
@h0lgr:
Cheers for the info! i just finished watching them all. They are so brilliant. I wish the game was really like that.
#9 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

The Yogscast, Simon and Lewis, are two incredibly funny persons to listen to while they play games.
Yesterday they posted a minecraft Star Trek texture mod with someone building the Enterprise. First thing they manage to do is get stuck together in a jefferies tube.

Also I'm quite certain that all of the weird things that happens in their survival videos are staged. But it's more that they themselves only know that SOMETHING will happen, but not what.
Their reactions just feel too genuine to be planned down to the minute on their own behalf.

#10 Posted by G0DF4TH3R (119 posts) -

They are the reason I have the game right now. Otherwise, I do not think I would have picked it up.

#11 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

The next season has started. They've even made some camera pans and a flying air ship. 
(watch the island survival mod if you wonder where the hell that airship came from)
#12 Edited by Chronologist (267 posts) -
@JBird said:

And what i want to know, is this what minecrafts actually like? or have they set all this up to make some incredible videos? Because if minecraft is really this creation game where slowly quests and weird people appear thats AMAZING!  So, is it real?! "

No, In a singleplayer or multiplayer game, things and people don't start magically appearing... in this series, it set up, either by them or by someone else.. 
To best describe minecraft it is life the first couple of episodes where nothing crazy happens.. 
But yeah, the Yogscast guys are really great.
#13 Posted by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -

Yeh i watch it and love it. And yes we all know its staged, but paople watch it because simon and lewis are so god dam funny.

#14 Posted by Tankhammer (61 posts) -

I just found out about this with the new season and it's really interesting to me. Is it worth watching the dozens of earlier videos to understand the setup? Supposedly in episode 7 of the Island Survivor series people claim to have seen a flying airship but I didn't notice it at all. I enjoy the banter between the two guys but I just don't have the attention span to pixel-hunt for strange goings-on.

#15 Posted by Surmy (3 posts) -

This has to be one of the funniest web series out there, i'm always astonished at how funny it is.

#16 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: That's awesome, i'm going to start with season 1 which is called "survival island" I believe. 
#17 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

The quest stuff is all part of the act, but you can create all that craziness if you want.

#18 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -
@X19 said:
" @PhatSeeJay: That's awesome, i'm going to start with season 1 which is called "survival island" I believe.  "
No Survival Island isn't the first season, the first season is just the first Minecraft episodes.
#19 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@benpicko: Is this the first episode? I wish they would make a playlist. 

#20 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -
@X19 said:
" @benpicko: Is this the first episode? I wish they would make a playlist. 

"
Yeah thats the first one, it doesn't get into the story for a while though, I forgot which episode.
#21 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@benpicko: I just enjoy the witty banter of two fellow Englishmen playing minecraft.
#22 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@X19:  There is a playlist 

Don't think the weird shit starts before episode six or so.
#23 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: I was thinking seperate playlist for season 1 and season 2 but your link will do nicely. I will watch it all, it's quite funny seeing them frantically build a house before night falls. 
#24 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@X19: Well technically that is season one. Survival Island was just a side step that ended up linking back into Minecraftia.

Season 2 haven't gotten a playlist yet so don't worry. That stuff is season one and when they leave Survival Island they go into season two.
I suppose the beta videos and planetoids thing and the star trek ones could have been excluded but they're easy to differentiate.

*edit* never mind, I noticed they were hidden away behind a tiny "show more" button.*edit*
#25 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay: That playlist link put the all the minecraft vids in order so that's the main thing. I've gotten lazy since I discovered that playlist feature on youtube XD
#26 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

This series has gone batshit insane! I love it!

Diggy diggy hooole! 

#28 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

I started watching it last month. It's really good. I wish I had a group of friends like that.

#29 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (466 posts) -

I adore this series, and the Yogcast.

#30 Posted by Bongos (186 posts) -

They've really pulled out the works for the current episodes like when they had to fight israphel while trying to rebuild the wall. The series seem to keep getting better and better.

#31 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4793 posts) -

I AM A DWARF AND IM DIGGING A HOLE 
DIGGY DIGGY HOLE 
DIGGY DIGGY HOLE

#32 Edited by Renachan (137 posts) -

I love the series, the Yogscast people are funny and I've learned some fun maps from them. The show is great, I love how they are doing a show with Minecraft :) 

But they really are great. Heck, I've watched their WoW stuff and don't play at all.

#33 Posted by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -
#34 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@Fattony12000: Yeah that mod is so amazing. Just hope the creator manage to make it work for 1.4 soon. I want to make use of my landing strip.
#35 Posted by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -
@Fattony12000: Oooo I was waiting for Planes part II.
#36 Posted by Savv (75 posts) -

I love these guys. I've been paying attention to the Yogscast for a while, so I already had them in my subs when they started making them. The first 20ish videos was just them messing around in the world, but if you have seen the more recent ones, it is much different. They get their friends to make this amazing settings for Lewis and Simon's adventure to take place in, and it continues to be of awesome quality. A really good series imo, but it's not really the game of Minecraft. 

Unfortunatly minecraft in itself is much different. There isn't a massive quest for you to follow and you wont just find a city after wandering for awhile. Minecraft is just a big sandbox, and while there is infinite possibilities, it's not really a game for someone who wants a huge quest to go on, rather a game for creative people to express themselves. 

#37 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Well they downloaded adventure maps that people made for it, but  yeah minecraft is awesome

#38 Posted by GamerDub (16 posts) -
@Mikemcn: Adventure Maps is the logical evolution to such a creative game.  

"Quicks start ransacking shit@" 

"He;s on to us!"  

"He's got drugs!" 

"Diamonds!, get the diamonds get the diamonds!"
 -----------
SHadow of Israphel Part 6 Mission Impossible.
#39 Edited by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -
#40 Posted by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -

Over 14,700 live viewers with $18,000 donated so far!

Beejesus the internet can be awesome when it wants to be.
#41 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Think Simon's Dwarf Hole song just took it to a new level.

#42 Posted by benpicko (2010 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:

Think Simon's Dwarf Hole song just took it to a new level.

HAHA that's great.
#43 Edited by Fattony12000 (7456 posts) -

#44 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I discovered these guys mid-June and have been religiously watching them ever since. They're channel is fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.