So I have seen quite a bit of footage recently of Minecraft, and I definitely like it. I am contemplating the purchase which isn't that big of a deal, but I don't want to buy something that still leaves me with a few big questions.
I hope you Miners on Giantbomb can answer these questions for me! Because this place seems to love Minecraft (which is awesome)!
- Combat - How does it work exactly? All I'm seeing in a lot of the footage is people building places. That part is cool, but is there no way to fight back instead of just hiding away in your shelter? I saw swords... So there must be something!
- Player vs Player - I get the idea that if you play on a server, it's all on the same server and as such you can help each other. So how about Player vs Player? Are there server rules about friendly fire/ganking or is that just a gentleman's agreement?
- Nomads - Is it possible to have a move-able shelter that lets you roam the land? Is there a thing like a tent, or is it feasible to carry enough basic materials to create a shelter that FUNCTIONS on a whims notice?
- Pausing (Crafting) - Is there a way to pause the game and does it pause during crafting? I take it since it's multiplayer that is a resound No - so how hard is it to craft stuff at the start if you haven't played it yet and you're racing against the clock?
- Fire - The Forge (don't know precisely what it does...) gets fueled by stuff like coal or wood for a limited amount of time. Does fire last permanently or not? Would suck to have a big fortress and going around refueling all them damn torches!
- Death - So I gather there is a spawn point, and everyone spawns there (is there even clipping?). If you die, what's the penalty and do you respawn at the spawn point? Why would you not build your shelter near the start if that's true?
Thanks in advance for the answers, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this forum - just waiting for Paypal to do it's job so I can buy the game next week!
EDIT: Hmm, title is a bit off since most questions don't really target multiplayer features. Still though - all of the questions are directed to the Multiplayer version of the game! I like my open world games to be social.