this game makes me crazy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

and not in a good way.

i just played it for the first time ever today for about 3 hours, spending that time making shelter, getting wood, etc. then, i decided to dig a super deep hole, just to see what was down there. it was just a bunch of lava.

that's when i had no idea what else the fuck to do with this game. i have a shelter and crafting box and some pickaxes. everyone talks about how harrowing and scary this game is at night, but once you have a shelter that's totally irrelevant. why would i ever go out at night if its dangerous, when i can just wait in the shelter?

which leads me to my next point, there's no way to advance time in this game? at night i board up my shelter and minimize the screen so i can do something else till day comes.

maybe i just havent crafted enough stuff, but i just dont know how to (obviously) cause the game doesn't explain a goddamned thing. so i'm at a loss as to what i'm supposed to be doing. should i be digging arbitrary holes, hoping something cool's down there? what's the point of it all? if i don't have the patience or desire or spare time to create huge fortresses and houses and villages and shit, is this game just a waste of my time? if i don't see the point in building a huge majestic castle to store my shit and protect me from the night, when just a dirt box accomplishes the same thing, is this game just not for me?

for instance, i've heard about dungeons and fighting stuff and making weapons and armor. why would i make weapons and armor when i can just build myself a shelter when it gets dark? do i have to intentionally put myself in harms way just to feel like i'm accomplishing anything? why would i explore some dungeon hoping to find some cool item or something when there's no one to then sell that item to? i enter dungeons in other games cause theres something in there that i need or want, or that will help me make progress elsewhere; why would i do that here, in the absence of any reason to do so? cause there's nothing else to do?

this game is really fucking with my whole sense of what a video game is, and what a waste of time is. i used to think i loved open-world sandbox-type games, but now there's a literal sandbox game, i don't know what to do with myself, and feel like i'd be wasting my time making spaceships and shit just for the sake of making them. this game is like an RPG without the P and the G. its all role, no play, no game.

sorry, i don't know how anyone will respond to this, i just had to get it off my chest. i don't mean to seem like a jerk in anyway, or like i'm jsut trolling and smashing this game for no reason, i just can't understand how such a hyped and praised game can seem like such a monumental waste of time to me, and its kinda throwing me for a loop.

#2 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

i guess in the interest of full disclosure i should note that i played this on Mac, and didn't pay for it. it was an impulse DL, after seeing it out on xbox and hearing it in gaming news for almost literally 2 years

#3 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Few things:

• You can advance time so to speak by making a bed. Getting into your bed at night makes the sun rise instantly (and sets that location as your spawn point if you die).
  • People who talk about how scary the game is at night (past the first night) are lying to you. There are certainly some scary things in the game, but night time isn't really one of them once you know what you're doing.
  • If you want to get really technical for a second there is in fact a final boss to the game and many "challenges" to get to him in a legitimate way (which mostly boils down to being properly prepared and a lot of farming materials). However, combat in the game is not strong and fighting that final boss is certainly not the most fun part of the game.
  • The tutorial is indeed absolute garbage

That said, in the most basic senses Minecraft currently fills out what it means to be a "game". You talk about going into dungeons to get items you need to accomplish other goals and that is technically a thing in Minecraft but I doubt many people would say it's what draws them into the game.

It is certainly the definition of making your own fun, for example I enjoy going underground to find those said dungeons and materials to come back to the surface to work on a massive village to see how many silly NPCs I can have populating it and how big I can make it. Is there any "point" to that? I dunno, but it's certainly a lot of fun when I don't feel like doing anything else. But if you ask other people what they enjoy in the game you'd probably get wildly different answers. I mean mods and "adventure maps" are pretty big with a lot of people and I have never touched either of those things despite spending hundreds of hours with the game.

#4 Posted by vic8888 (9 posts) -

Build a bed if you want to go through the night quickly. Minecraft has a "goal" to reach and that's killing the Enderdragon, which involves going to the Nether first, so try going there. If you're not sure how to do that go to the wiki, but the game is all about setting goals for yourself. If you want goals that are more clear try the modding comunity.

A lot of mods have very clear cut goals. Better then wolves has a very clear progression tree, but it might make you hate the game if you try it, as it makes it all very difficult. The Forge mods make the game more complicated for the goal of making the gameplay easier. For example Industrialcraft 2 has blocks that double your ore input.

Don't give up on it yet, you might find something to your liking if you keep at it.

#5 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

what's the nether?

i spent about an hour just digging and putting up torches, hoping to find something interesting. it was just the same rocks and dirt and some red socks which took a bunch more hits to break, and then lava and indestructible blocks. i feel a little silly having wasted my time like that.

as a side note, i wish time would pause when i bring up the game menu, so i can check the wiki every 2 seconds, cause it seems like i won't get anything out of this game without studying the wiki first. i didn't even know you could build a bed...

also, there is no tutorial.

#6 Posted by TheGreven (30 posts) -

Minecraft is similar to the Sims in the way that there aren't any goals that you "must" accomplish.

#7 Posted by envane (1159 posts) -

theres a wiki .. with everything you need to know ... there are online comminites .. millions of youtube videos .. and thousands of multiplayer servers with completely different game modes via mods , etc

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

oh yeah and google.com

#8 Posted by vic8888 (9 posts) -

The best way for someone that has no idea what you can do in the game isn't the wiki, it's the Youtube videos. And you can get entertained in the process as well.

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

i guess in the interest of full disclosure i should note that i played this on Mac, and didn't pay for it.

I hate to be that guy, but...

#10 Posted by Tebbit (4447 posts) -

I really enjoyed Minecraft, but your complaints are legit. (Apart from the time one, as people have already mentioned).

I had a blast just working out what everything was and how it works, encountering monsters I hadn't seen before and making a base that I'd run back to at night. Building it up with stuff that I had to travel further and further away to harvest as I used up all the resources in my area. The one thing I really didn't like was the crafting system. It isn't intuitive, in fact it is mostly guesswork - unless you have the wiki, which explains everything perfectly well. WHY COULD THIS WIKI NOT BE IMPLEMENTED IN THE GAME is my question.

I was fine when I accidentally worked out how to make a crafting table, and sticks, but after that if you don't know how to make something, you'll be looking it up, and an external wiki is a real sucky alternative to good, in-game explanations. Even if you just needed the resources and it took out the requirement for it to be in a specific pattern would be better than the current system. The Xbox version solved this in the extreme by having a big database where you could see all the items and what you needed to build them, and streamlined the pattern process. That perhaps takes away from the immersion a little, but it sure does make for a better game.

#11 Posted by CptChiken (1987 posts) -

It sounds like minecraft isnt your type of game. though check out the wiki to find out things on the nether and the end and stuff like that.

@JoeyRavn said:

@SturmMajere said:

i guess in the interest of full disclosure i should note that i played this on Mac, and didn't pay for it.

I hate to be that guy, but...

Don't hate being "that" guy. Everyone should bring people up on pirating, its a shitty thing to do.

#12 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

for instance, i've heard about dungeons and fighting stuff and making weapons and armor. why would i make weapons and armor when i can just build myself a shelter when it gets dark? do i have to intentionally put myself in harms way just to feel like i'm accomplishing anything?

There are certain things that you can only get from killing enemies, so that's why you'd go out at night with armour and weapons. Bones, string, etc are things that you get from killed enemies and are essential ingredients in a lot of the crafting recipes. I played for a while on peaceful mode (which means there are no enemies) but had to turn the enemies on when I realised that I needed stuff from them to build things.

Of course, if you don't get enjoyment out of the crafting side etc, there's no need to do any of that. I'd go as far as to say there's no point to you playing the game if you don't like building/crafting. That is the game.

#13 Posted by selbie (1835 posts) -

Well objectively all games are a 'waste of time' because they don't amount to many RL accomplishments. Yet, they are still very entertaining and Minecraft provides a particular form of that entertainment. It's a crude comparison but Minecraft is just like Lego in that you don't actually have anything to do, you just do it because you find it fun to build something.

#14 Posted by Wallzii (173 posts) -

Minecraft makes me crazy too, but it is more of a lack of sleep thing than anything else. I honestly haven't had so much fun with a game for a long time. I hosted a private server for a few of my friends and it was awesome to see how different all of our play styles were.

It was just really exciting to see what everyone was building, and that we built things together to have a sense of community in our little closed world. One of the best parts was figuring out how to link everything together with portals through the nether, especially once all of our creations became increasingly spread out. Building with eachother inspired a sort of healthy competition, pushing us to create better and more complex things.

Really, there is no point to Minecraft, and it definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea. I just find it entertaining and a place to be creative with your game time.The best way to make it not seem as wasteful of your time as it really is, is to make a server and play with friends. That way you actually come up with goals for creation if you want, and work together to produce something.

#15 Edited by believer258 (11563 posts) -

It doesn't sound like this is the game for you. I, personally, wasn't very into it until I played for a few hours with my brother, who is really into it. He knows pretty much everything there is to know about the game since he's been playing it nearly nonstop since Beta 1.3. He, a friend of mine, and I are currently building a huge castle. It's a slow process because my friend and I don't like playing it every single day, but it's coming along.

What I'm saying above is that in order to enjoy Minecraft you need two things: 1) Most importantly, an imagination and the ability to make your own fun and 2) A working knowledge of the game.

It takes some effort to really get into. As for the point of it all? Anything you do just for entertainment has no real point. Sometimes, though, Minecraft feels especially pointless because you are, at the end of the day, building structures for the sake of building structures.

#16 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@believer258: @believer258 said:

As for the point of it all? Anything you do just for entertainment has no real point. Sometimes, though, Minecraft feels especially pointless because you are, at the end of the day, building structures for the sake of building structures.

yeah, im figuring that out. its decent enough fun rushing trying to build shelter that first day, but once that's done i just don't see the need to ever put yourself in harms way again.

that aside, for instance, a game like banjo kazooie nuts and bolts (not the best comparison) lets you build anything you want as well, but it gives you missions and tasks to accomplish. so you may have a task to cross a huge chasm or something, then you can either build a bridge, some kind of plane, or whatever. that game gave you goals to accomplish with the stuff you created, it didn't just tell you to create stuff for the sake of creating it (not to mention it had a tutorial). it gave me little minor senses of accomplishment, whenever i had succeeded at some goal.

i guess i never realized how addicted i am to the grind of danger --> risk --> reward --> accomplishment present in pretty much every single game ever, and how badly my head would explode if someone gave me a box of legos and told me it was the best game of the year.

#17 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

side note: how the hell do you play multiplayer? anytime i click it it takes me to some window asking direct connect or add server. nothing to see, notihng to click, nothing to do, nothing to play.

also, yes i did pirate the game, and i'm very, very, VERY glad i did.

#18 Posted by GS_Dan (1401 posts) -

You manually add server information

#19 Posted by mortal_sb (515 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

side note: how the hell do you play multiplayer? anytime i click it it takes me to some window asking direct connect or add server. nothing to see, notihng to click, nothing to do, nothing to play.

you could've played the free version first. pirating is never an option. and if you pirate a game, you're not really in the position to complain about it how it's "wasting your time" or that "you don't get it". you put nothing but time in the game and you're not rewarding the studio for anything so this is like getting an awesome free meal just to say: "oh, i hate potato salad. i wanted coleslaw. fuck everything about this"

as for the game: yes, it's something special that's not for everybody and it doesn't have to be. i really like the game and i got a couple of hundred hours out of it. how? playing with friends, planing structures and just enjoying some old fashioned lego style building.

#20 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

You sir, are not worthy of anyones help on this game as far as I am concerned.

#21 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@mortal_sb: i played the free version for about 5 minutes before i saw it said Alpha. then i sought ways to upgrade it, and found them. maybe the creator should replace that word Alpha with the words FreeVersion? i don't know how anyone would be expected to continue and enjoy an alpha build when you could get the real thing for free. if i'd never known it was alpha, and it just said FreeVersion, i'd likely have stayed with it.

#22 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

I own both versions of Minecraft. Yesterday I played the 360 version for 4 hours, and the PC version for 4 hours as well. On the PC version, however, I have a 128 by 128 texture pack (Vanilla is 16 by 16) and the Tekkit mod compilation. That version of Minecraft has, at a minuimum, 5 times the amount of content vanilla Minecraft has. In my opinion it helps with the problem of running out of things to do. Once you hit the nether in vanilla, the game slows down fast, but once you hit the nether with tekkit, the game speeds up a bit.

@SturmMajere said:

i guess i never realized how addicted i am to the grind of danger --> risk --> reward --> accomplishment present in pretty much every single game ever, and how badly my head would explode if someone gave me a box of legos and told me it was the best game of the year.

If you can add more types of legos and friends to play with it alleviates the aimlessness, but that's kind of what Minecraft is. There isn't a story mode to finish. The reason I've logged 100+ hours into it is because it's the kind of game you play while listening to the bombcast, or if you just want to relax and hang out with friends which I've found to be a nice balance to the nonstop multiplayer shoot-fest that I'm usually playing.

Also the FOV on 360 makes me feel like I'm tiptoeing through mud. The crafting system which is cool in that it speeds up crafting with a controller, kind of takes away the mystery of knowing what is out there to craft.

#23 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@jozzy:

then why reply?

#24 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

@jozzy:

then why reply?

To hopefully deter other people from helping a lazy pirate.

#25 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@jozzy: too late.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10263 posts) -

Well you didn't pay for it, so you should stop playing anyway. Sounds like you lack creativity, if a dirt box holds the same interest as a castle, so this game is probably not for you.

Kinda stupid to complain about something you didn't even pay for.

#27 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

@jozzy: too late.

It's never too late to see the error of your ways.

#28 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

@MikkaQ: huh. you must not be able to read. i'm not complaining, i'm asking what i'm not getting, and how someone who's played video games for over 20 years can play one of the most acclaimed games of this generation and come away feeling like it's no more revolutionary that a box of legos.

i'm asking for help, in how to make this game better.

but you don't care, apparently cause you work for mojang and just want my money.

#29 Posted by SturmMajere (52 posts) -

lol nevermind, people. i didn't realize everyone on these forums worked for mojang and would get so offended that in 2012 someone is pirating a videogame.

next time you're free tell your friends at mojang that if they want people to pay for their product, make it more intuitive than a Horadric Cube meets Lego simulator.

thanks to the people that did help, fuck you to those who didn't, and god bless the internet for making things free.

#30 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@SturmMajere said:

lol nevermind, people. i didn't realize everyone on these forums worked for mojang and would get so offended that in 2012 someone is pirating a videogame.

next time you're free tell your friends at mojang that if they want people to pay for their product, make it more intuitive than a Horadric Cube meets Lego simulator.

thanks to the people that did help, fuck you to those who didn't, and god bless the internet for making things free.

Boo hoo. You pirate a game and complain because it doesn't work. You deserve all my pity, truly.

PS: You told me to to fuck myself? Oh, I'll be here, in this corner, crying myself to sleep.

#31 Posted by Trace (3543 posts) -

This conversation seems to be declining in quality rather rapidly. Let me just grab a quick snippet from our forum rules:

NO discussion of illegal activities: The discussion of illicit substances, circumvention of copy protection, and piracy of video games or any form of media.

The latter part there includes the use of pirated games, which essentially means that even if you don't detail the process out (and thanks for not doing that), you should avoid boasting about stealing a developer's retail-product-that-costs-money on these forums.

Keep that in mind for the future, lads. Piracy is bad, and calling people corporate shills doesn't negate that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.