Whiskey Media's Minecraft Server: Part Deux!

#1901 Edited by Nodderly (405 posts) -

It reads to me like the consensus is generally opposed to starting completely fresh, which I totally understand. An alternative might be to move the Spawn to somewhere a little fresher?

There's no need to worry about the funds. I'll keep running the server indefinitely, until a theoretical future point where absolutely nobody logs on ever. One thing to think about for the future, though. I'm kinda having a kid in early December. I anticipate my game-time disappearing for a while, and I probably won't be the most attentive server admin, either. I'd be happy to keep picking up the tab, but I might have to consider handing the Scepter of Crafting to someone else.

#1902 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@nodderly: Noddery Junior, that's great news. Congrats :)

Moving spawn seems like a good compromise, basically a fresh world, just with loads of crazy shit built really far away. That could be pretty interesting if new people come on.
I don't know about the Scepter of Crafting, it'd be hard to imagine having a new overlord.

Baby in one hand, pickaxe in the other, Banhammer in the third.

#1903 Edited by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@randomhero666: Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it!

I just hate the idea of me going completely AWOL for a month or three and the server breaking or a cool update getting released and there's nobody on hand to reboot the server.

#1904 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

Welp, I just lost six horses. The server crashed last night while I was leading six horses to my base. Logged in today and found myself spawning halfway between spawn and my base in the middle of the ocean with none of the horses in sight. Hurried back to where I had actually disconnected last night and still couldn't find them. Retraced my footsteps, nothing.

Pretty bummed since it had taken me most of yesterday to get them so close to base; another five minutes I would have gotten them tied to a fence. Now, instead of all twelve, I only have half of what I found. And one of them I had put armour onto.

:<

#1905 Edited by Capum15 (4871 posts) -
@zomgfruitbunnies said:

Welp, I just lost six horses. The server crashed last night while I was leading six horses to my base. Logged in today and found myself spawning halfway between spawn and my base in the middle of the ocean with none of the horses in sight. Hurried back to where I had actually disconnected last night and still couldn't find them. Retraced my footsteps, nothing.

Pretty bummed since it had taken me most of yesterday to get them so close to base; another five minutes I would have gotten them tied to a fence. Now, instead of all twelve, I only have half of what I found. And one of them I had put armour onto.

:<

Daww, I could always help with that!

Finally updating ye olde minecraft to 1.6.2 now. Been quite a while.

Edit: Moving spawn a ways away would be pretty cool. My IT classes just started this week so that'll cut into my time, but I'll try and get on more.

#1907 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

On a side note, is it just me or has the server become more unstable in terms of ping after the 1.6 update? Prior to the update, ping was always 100 or less. Now, it's all over the place. Sometimes going over 2000 momentarily. All of the 1.6 servers on my list are behaving like this. Wasn't the case in 1.5.

#1908 Posted by Capum15 (4871 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: I noticed a little bit when adding an animal farm to my compound out near spawn (still not sure how I never made one before now), with animals lagging sporadically. I'm guessing it's just 1.6 if you're getting that with multiple servers.

#1909 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: That's something I hadn't heard before. We do run the beta build of Bukkit, so stupid issues sometimes show up.

#1910 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies: That's something I hadn't heard before. We do run the beta build of Bukkit, so stupid issues sometimes show up.

#1911 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I feel bad since I haven't spent enough time on this server than I really should. When are players most generally active?

#1912 Edited by jasondesante (603 posts) -

@nodderly: DUDE! Congrats on being a dad soon! :D

Moving spawn sounds like an awesome idea, maybe we can even make a super long subway tunnel to it, and that will be the only connection to the old world. So if you want to go back, you gotta take the train for an hour or so. XD

Still think @jeff and everyone else need to visit the server eventually, or else I'll never be satisfied! The server has quests dammit! :D

#1913 Edited by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@jasondesante: Thanks!

I've tunneled my way into some fresher territory for us. I went digging for like an hour and a half in the same direction and I thought I should be well beyond the developed world, but when I popped my head out of the tunnel, there was a giant damn fortress nearby. It's actually cool, so I think I'll make new spawn there anyway. I'm going to work on building a subway out there next. Stay tuned!

Also, be thinking about what we want to do with the new territory. City?

EDIT: Subway to the new territory is complete! It's currently located on the bottom floor of the teleporter stacks at Spawn. The other end still needs cosmetics, but it'll get you there. Warning! Long ride! Really long! Let me know what you guys think of the new area.

#1914 Edited by Hoffafiles (285 posts) -

First of all, congrats on the youngin' !

I've started back on a project I had started a while back. (school still eats up way too much time...)

So I'll check out the new area, while taking a break from math for the project.

Whew, my head kinds hurts just thinking of all the blocks I still need to place '_'

#1915 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@nodderly: was on earlier, I'm pretty sure that building at the other end of the tunnel is Murundi's partly finished thing, if so.. then the closest thing is Dark and my town, which itself is a long way from anything.

Tip for anyone using a horse to get through the tunnel, don't forget which way you were going :P I probably did it 2 times and ended up being in that tunnel for 20 minutes

#1916 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@hoffafiles: Thanks!

@randomhero666: I knew somebody would have an idea who built the fort thingie! I thought about building some identifiers into the tunnel so you could tell which way was which for just such a purpose, but then I didn't. Did you build the quartz building in the new area?

#1917 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@nodderly: I figure most people will just use the cart, so it'd be hard to get lost in there.

And no I didn't, that was Dark, i'll probably wait a little while for the main area to take shape before i add my own monstrosity :P
Or maybe make a farm for people to get some food and keep their horses.

#1918 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

Found a wild white horse near New Spawn. Does it belong to anyone? Gonna tie it to a fence so it doesn't run off in case it's someone's horse.

#1919 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@zomgfruitbunnies:
That might have been the one I rode in on, though i think i killed it. I did spawn a few around the area, hoping they would spread out a bit.

@hoffafiles:

I visited Isengard a while ago. when you said oodles of blocks, you meant it lol. I tried to help out a bit, filled in a couple segments of grass, but stopped when I saw just how much needed done. I'll do some more sometime if you want. Looks amazing so far.

#1920 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

@randomhero666: Found a couple more horses around the area, one even had a saddle. Anyways, all housed in the stable I built near the fountain. Almost done the the inn, as well. Just need to put up some decorations! Might have built it a little too close to the fountain, though. I can always move it later if need be.

#1921 Posted by Lively (298 posts) -

So I noticed the old "/spawn" command doesn't work. What's the new cool way to fast-travel, or are we stuck in the dark ages again?

#1922 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@lively said:

So I noticed the old "/spawn" command doesn't work. What's the new cool way to fast-travel, or are we stuck in the dark ages again?

That's been broken for a long time now, the teleports at spawn still work I think, just have to jump a lot when you through to get unstuck.

I usually just place a bed where i want to spawn, and die to get back, or destroy the bed to respawn at spawn

#1923 Posted by Capum15 (4871 posts) -

I like the "new" spawn area. Dug into a hill (well, god-knifed chunk of land, slapped down in a small pond) and made a little house thing. Spent most of the time outside trying to make the entrance look nice, fighting off what seems like a thousand zombies each night. I'm going to need to fence in the area or something.

#1924 Posted by Hoffafiles (285 posts) -

@randomhero666: Cool! It is way too many blocks methinks, I kinda burned myself out a bit, played some Diablo 3, a little WoW, and I might ease my way back into the project. The points that go around the outside are a super pain, I'm not too pleased with any of them, trial and error I suppose. I guess at least the tower is done(ish), it's the best looking part, lol.

#1925 Posted by Mortinec (2 posts) -

Is this server still up and running? If so I would love to take part. duker5 for whitelist

#1926 Edited by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

@nodderly: I sent you a PM a few days ago, dunno if you didn't get a PM due to Giantbomb being janky, or you're busy with pre-baby stuff. Hope things are going well :)

#1927 Edited by MichiganJack (108 posts) -
@mortinec said:

Is this server still up and running? If so I would love to take part. duker5 for whitelist

I was just wondering the same thing. Hey even the poor guys over at http://forums.geekbox.net/ have kept their server up.

Well, that's alright really as I'm pretty new to the Minecraft game. I'm still in the Honey Moon phase (about a week in). Started my own server and just playing around with the code. It's fun to play with, and I appreciate the difficulty of the single player.

#1928 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Well, that's alright really as I'm pretty new to the Minecraft game. I'm still in the Honey Moon phase (about a week in). Started my own server and just playing around with the code. It's fun to play with, and I appreciate the difficulty of the single player.

Off topic, I co-run a server, if you ever want to just learn how to, have an enchantment shop, for examples. just let me know. I'll be happy to help. Servers are really fun to play around with, especially if you know how to code a tad.

#1929 Posted by VodkaMedia (41 posts) -

I can't join the server, did I miss something? Have I somehow forgotten how to join a Minecraft server, or do I have the IP incorrect (208.115.114.210:25632 according to the OP)? What's the current version? I haven't played or checked here for a while, but now I can't play and I don't see anything here about the server being offline...

#1930 Edited by bunkerbuster05 (462 posts) -

I can't join the server, did I miss something? Have I somehow forgotten how to join a Minecraft server, or do I have the IP incorrect (208.115.114.210:25632 according to the OP)? What's the current version? I haven't played or checked here for a while, but now I can't play and I don't see anything here about the server being offline...

I think the server is down.

#1931 Edited by Nodderly (405 posts) -

So, nobody has been on the server in a little while. September 21, in fact! Feels like the heat is really off Minecraft these days. Am I alone in that feeling?

#1932 Posted by Masin (131 posts) -

Man, I've been entrenched in minecraft lately, been playing Feed-the-Beast private server with 7 other people. Its great fun.

#1933 Posted by Capum15 (4871 posts) -

@nodderly: Yeah our little group has seemed to really slow down on the Minecrafting. Last time I checked the server wasn't letting me in (a month ago or so?), and then other games and end of semester stuff happened. Though now I have a good long break, I might get back into it.

Then again, Steam Winter sale has started.

#1934 Edited by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

Haven't been able to connect to the server for months. Just checked, can't connect.

#1935 Posted by Capum15 (4871 posts) -
#1936 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@capum15 @zomgfruitbunnies Jesus Tapdancing Christ on a Cracker, I am not getting notifications properly anymore. I'd have investigated this an age ago. Looks like our host has changed our IP without telling me! The new IP is:

192.169.44.134:25632

We are currently running 1.6.2 for stupid fucking Bukkit reasons. Server is running well.

I've been thinking a bit about my own lack of interest in Minecraft and I think I've figured it out. Creative Mode killed it for me. Some players get into the designing and constructing, and they build really awesome giant things. Ajhoff55 is one of those guys; he's had Creative mode forever and he just keeps building cooler and cooler things. That's not me. I'm a Survival mode player. If I don't have a one heart and a dwindling food bar while staring down a zombie, I'm not feeling the game. I don't want to build giant things easily, I want to build small things that are a hassle. It's weird, but that's me. So I think I'll stop. I'm going to try playing solely Survival on the server for a while, and maybe I'll have a lot more fun.

In that vein, it has become clear to me that people enjoy the game both ways, and it's a personal decision. Starting now, I'm offering everyone the choice. You're the kind of duder who wants to fly and build a scale model of Middle Earth? Have Creative, go nuts. You'd prefer to spend three days building a shack and then hide from a zombie horde? Join me in Survival. I think we'll all have more fun if we play how we want, and the world is definitely big enough for everyone to do so.

@masin What is that? Is it fun? Should we do that?

#1937 Posted by Matthew (1912 posts) -

@nodderly said:

@masin What is that? Is it fun? Should we do that?

FTB is stupid good. There is a metrick Fucktonne of stuffs to do in that. But instead of me trying to poorly explain it with words, allow me to link a vidya -

Wiki

Well, there is no good video that just explains what exactly it is, but the wikia I linked to has a bunch of good information on the rundown for what it is overall.

Quick quote taken from the front page -

"Feed the Beast is a modpack for Minecraft. It adds a huge number of items, recipes and world-generation to the game, and is used in the YouTube series "Feed the Beast." The modpack centers on several famous mods such as IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft but the full list is extensive.

All of the mods in the pack have been approved by the modders to be included. The FTB launcher was first released on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, with a live-stream broadcast on the Feed The Beast website.

The launcher currently features eight different modpacks for you to enjoy, including a Beta version of the Feed the Beast modpack. The official modpack release is TBD and will most likely launch once Equivalent Exchange 3 is fully updated and stable."

#1938 Edited by Capum15 (4871 posts) -

@nodderly: Oh good, I thought maybe the baby ate you or something (did you have a baby recently? or did my memory just make something up?). Also yeah, FTB is basically just a compilation of a ton of different mods, like Thaumcraft, RedPower, etc. Darkstar ran a personal server for it a while ago. He even managed to take an old save of our world here and integrate it into FTB somehow (I think he messaged you about it a while ago, not sure if it's still there for you to read).

Anyway, it may have been long enough away from MC for me to try getting back in the game again. And yeah, Creative did kinda kill it for me after a while. Granted, it was a long while, but near the end I just started to hop on and fly around to look at things and maybe talk to people and not do much.

Edit: Oh yeah, to those who have updated past 1.6.2, you can use the Tekkit/Technic pack launcher, select vanilla MC, and go into the settings (the usual circle cog thing below the picture of minecraft) to choose 1.6.2. Just hopped on to test it out and it worked.

#1939 Posted by Robo (792 posts) -

I recently started playing this again after maybe a year or two. I never got super into it before but Starbound rekindled my appetite for builders and I gotta say, I'm actually enjoying this quite a bit.

I'll echo Nodderly's sentiments though. Much of my interest in the game is around survival mode. I love building fortresses, traps, hidden rooms, farms, etc. and fighting to make it through the night without half my shit being blown away. Even if I'm just looking for a chill night in peaceful mode figuring out the game's mechanics, exploring, or scrounging for materials, that's where the fun is for me. There's gotta be at least some basic challenge to it or I'll get burnt out.

As a result, I've avoided playing online. Most servers seem to be either modded to all hell at this point or so established that they exist essentially as all you can eat buffets for gear and materials.

But if this server still welcomes some good old fashioned survival mode, I'm interested. PM sent.

#1940 Posted by Nodderly (405 posts) -

@capum15: I've already had more fun without it. I missed digging holes for reasons!

@matthew: Reading about that now. Iiiinteresting. Still a little scared of mods, TBH.

@robo Good and old-fashioned are what we're about. Almost no mods left on the server, in fact. Partially because they all keep breaking, but whatever! The area around Spawn is pretty built up, but there's a subway at lowest level of Spawn that will take you to more unspoiled territory.

#1941 Posted by Dhutch (43 posts) -

I just popped in today to see how things were, took the train to the new spawn. Things are looking pretty neat over there, I like the look of the mini-apartments. Two quick questions though: would we be able to get a new updated map on the OP, and how do I go about getting permission to /kit stuff (I can't right now for some reason)?

#1942 Edited by Brother_PipPop (253 posts) -

Why can't I log in, it keeps saying end of stream :(

I wanna see if my stuff from awhile ago is still there :P

#1943 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Why can't I log in, it keeps saying end of stream :(

I wanna see if my stuff from awhile ago is still there :P

Dunno if you've got it working yet, but I ran into this too.

It's an easy fix, on the launcher, at the bottom left it should say edit profile beneath your name, do that, then near the bottom of the thing that pops up it'll say.. "Use Version" just change that to 1.7.2 and save profile, ready to go :)

#1945 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (767 posts) -

Did the server go poo-poo again? I keep getting stuck at "logging in" then disconnecting. Don't think it's on my end because I can join other servers OK.

#1946 Posted by Hector (3359 posts) -

Is it possible if anyone can upload the map server for offline use?

#1947 Posted by Marnox (327 posts) -

I miss you guys.

#1948 Posted by Capum15 (4871 posts) -

@marnox: Oh man, it's been a while hasn't it? It's awesome that this server is still going, even if folks aren't on much anymore. Too bad Nod seems to have vanished.

Darkstar got a Minecraft FTB: Monster server a while ago. I think it has people from reddit as well, so it tends to usually have a few people on, if you're interested.

#1949 Posted by Darkstar_KoP (183 posts) -

@marnox:

*hugs* *grabs ass a little*

#1950 Posted by Marnox (327 posts) -

@nodderly: @darkstar_kop: @capum15: Yea, Shame that Nodderly is gone. We need a strong leader to unite us! As he mentioned in an earlier post here - I too got a bit bored of Minecraft with creative mode and all kinds of mods. I don't think I can play that way. Building pyramids are so much more fun knowing that it will take you hours of making sandstone and a thousand zombie bites on your butt.
Remember the time we built that town in that swamp will spiders and such? Bourbon or New Bourbon? Anyhow, good times.

I want more good times. I have returned. Pyramids will rise.See you out there!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.