Whiskey Media's Official Minecraft Server

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Edited by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

The jump from the top inside to the bottom is just about as far as you can fall in Minecraft, give or take 2 or 3 blocks. Fun stuff, give it a whirl sometime.
 



 


#102 Posted by Shademonger (147 posts) -

As soon as I figure out what we want to do for a paypal account, I intend to try to get a server through mynecraft.com at the start of next week. The options are setting up an independent account just for the Giant Bomber's server for people to pay into where the amount would be visible to us all somewhere, or I could just pay for the server personally and have donations go to me. Personally, I would feel kind of weird accepting donations to a personal paypal account, so I think the former idea would probably be the best. Also, I need to get the map of the server from FunExplosions so that we can continue from where we're at with the new dedicated server.

#103 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Shademonger: Awesome. Thanks for looking into that for us. And I agree with you on choosing the route where we all pay into some visible spot. How does that work, though? After the required amount is paid, will everyone know? If so, then great. 
 
And I can give you the level data no problem. I'll probably need to close the server a day before, just so no one's stuff is lost. So let me know when you're ready.
#104 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@Shademonger said:
" As soon as I figure out what we want to do for a paypal account, I intend to try to get a server through mynecraft.com at the start of next week. The options are setting up an independent account just for the Giant Bomber's server for people to pay into where the amount would be visible to us all somewhere, or I could just pay for the server personally and have donations go to me. Personally, I would feel kind of weird accepting donations to a personal paypal account, so I think the former idea would probably be the best. Also, I need to get the map of the server from FunExplosions so that we can continue from where we're at with the new dedicated server. "
That's amazing of you. I'm just not sure how I'd be able to help finance it..
#105 Edited by Shademonger (147 posts) -

Okay, I have the button for the donations, but I don't think I can post it here on the forums, suggestions on where I should put this thing? Do we want to set up our own website/weblog/forum strictly for the GiantBombcraft community?

#106 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Shademonger said:
" Okay, I have the button for the donations, but I don't think I can post it here on the forums, suggestions on where I should put this thing? Do we want to set up our own website/weblog/forum strictly for the GiantBombcraft community? "
Nah. I'd say to keep it in the thread. It'll keep more people coming in. But, hmm... 
 
Where does the button lead? Perhaps you could just give me the url it points to, and I can out that in the OP.
#107 Posted by Shademonger (147 posts) -

Well, I don't think the forums support HTML because I tried to post the button in the last posting, but nothing doing. The button doesn't link to a specific URL, but is comprised of a series of donation codes/etc. to route to the Giant Bombcraft account. It's weird...

#108 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Shademonger said:
" Well, I don't think the forums support HTML because I tried to post the button in the last posting, but nothing doing. The button doesn't link to a specific URL, but is comprised of a series of donation codes/etc. to route to the Giant Bombcraft account. It's weird... "
Damn. Do they have some forums over there? Perhaps we could put the button in there, and just link to it from the OP of this thread. And of course, we'll only use this thread for discussing the server.
#109 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

What I saw was cool... before it crashed. I'll have to check it out in-depth sometime soon.

#110 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

started a house here

#111 Posted by Eckshale (76 posts) -

Are there any regular downtimes?
I keep timing out when i try to connect :/

#112 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Eckshale said:
" Are there any regular downtimes? I keep timing out when i try to connect :/ "
Sorry man. I'm in the US, and it seemed to have been down the entire time I was asleep. It's up now, though. Also, the server's moving soon, so you can expect much, much, much better uptimes and very reduced lag. !hurray!
#113 Posted by Eckshale (76 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
Sorry man. I'm in the US, and it seemed to have been down the entire time I was asleep. It's up now, though. Also, the server's moving soon, so you can expect much, much, much better uptimes and very reduced lag. !hurray! "
 
Still not getting in, but might as well be something on my end that is not agreeing with MC.
Seeing as i have been timed out when connecting to my own test server via localhost, I don't put much stock in the server software atm -_-
#114 Edited by Shademonger (147 posts) -

So, as powrtrio mentioned on my wall, and as I discovered from listening to The Shaft podcast today and seeing that mynecraft.com is still not up and running, the search for a new host is on again. I'll do my best at some point today to do some research and possibly find an alternative. Otherwise, we can start figuring this out within the community, if there's someone out there with a crazy fast connection and a performance box that they can dedicate to running server software.
 
EDIT : I took down the link to the donations until we are for sure going to pay for something.

#115 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Shademonger said:
" So, as powrtrio mentioned on my wall, and as I discovered from listening to The Shaft podcast today and seeing that mynecraft.com is still not up and running, the search for a new host is on again. I'll do my best at some point today to do some research and possibly find an alternative. Otherwise, we can start figuring this out within the community, if there's someone out there with a crazy fast connection and a performance box that they can dedicate to running server software.  EDIT : I took down the link to the donations until we are for sure going to pay for something. "
!!!!! 
 
That sucks. I'll update the OP with a server casting-call.
#116 Posted by eccentrix (1599 posts) -

That's a shame. I'll wait to donate until we know what we're paying for, but I'm still happy to pay quite a bit, even if I didn't get that job I wanted.

#117 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I logged on last night and was totally blown away by some of the creations.  I'm gonna have a good walk around tonight and take some screengrabs of the good stuff. 
 
I took some inspiration from the great Mario/Megaman statues and built a little Sonic head near the spawn point.  Accidently built it out of Ice and Snow and wood, though, so I doubt it'll stay for long before someone melts it.  Need some way of protecting it from fire?!

#118 Edited by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Hey guys, new update is out. We can kill eachother now! 
 
Edit: But apparently we can't pick any items up :( 
 
Hopefully Notch fixes this soon.

#119 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Just died by some unknown reason (No one was near me). And btw, is OP required to build?

#120 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Althox: Notch just released an update that's really buggy. The instant-death glitch seems to be gone, but there's some weird other things goin' on. I can't pick up any items, for instance. Must be because I'm an Admin. I also can't take damage. I'm sure Notch will fix this stuff soon. 
 
...Unless you're Powrtrio, and in that case, we've already been over this.
#121 Posted by slyspider (1305 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" Hey guys, new update is out. We can kill eachother now!  Edit: But apparently we can't pick any items up :(  Hopefully Notch fixes this soon. "
ok i just tested all this, we might be able to die?   i had a buddy hit me and nothing happened, but then i went to the giant glass tower thats as far as you can fall and jumped and landed on the bed rock. all my stuff flew out of me, but it was still in my inventory and i lost like 3 hearts... had dimand armor on tho
#122 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@slyspider said:
" @FunExplosions said:
" Hey guys, new update is out. We can kill eachother now!  Edit: But apparently we can't pick any items up :(  Hopefully Notch fixes this soon. "
ok i just tested all this, we might be able to die?   i had a buddy hit me and nothing happened, but then i went to the giant glass tower thats as far as you can fall and jumped and landed on the bed rock. all my stuff flew out of me, but it was still in my inventory and i lost like 3 hearts... had dimand armor on tho "
Similar to what happened to me. Except that all of my stuff was just laying around me when I spawned in a tunnel. From then on, I couldn't get hurt or pick up anything. At all. And still can't. Others were able to, though. I'll give it a day-or-so for Notch to decide if he's going to roll back the update or try and fix it.
#123 Posted by Shademonger (147 posts) -

Apparently what you've got to do, FE, for anyone suffering that problem on your server, myself included, is to remove their name from the server registry. Whenever they log back in, the problem should be fixed.

#124 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

This should be fixed now in the new update.

#125 Posted by Crump (23 posts) -
Server isn't working now :(
#126 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Crump said:
" Server isn't working now :( "
Should work now. 
@LordAndrew said:
" This should be fixed now in the new update. "
Thanks. Got new server client. All should be good. 
 
@Shademonger said:
" Apparently what you've got to do, FE, for anyone suffering that problem on your server, myself included, is to remove their name from the server registry. Whenever they log back in, the problem should be fixed. "
Thanks. 
 
Deleted everyone from memory. Gonna have to reOP everyone, though. So just linger a little if you're still not OPped, 'cause I check it every so often to see who's in there.
#127 Posted by foolman (82 posts) -

I couldn't login to the server

#128 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@foolman said:
" I couldn't login to the server "
Thanks. There was another server update over night. It's up now.
#129 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Alright. New rule. Anyone to use TNT, create TNT, or summon TNT - will be banned. No questions asked. Only exception is if I authorize it. I'm always overseeing the server, so if you mention it, I'll see it. And all you have to do is ask to use it, and I'll be happy to come in and oversee its use. Sorry to everyone who isn't a dick, but the random griefing is a bit childish, and I'm not here to babysit.   
 
Sucks that it's come to this. I don't care if the "griefers won." That statement means nothing to me. This is a rule that's now in place. That is all.

#130 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Is that what happened to the big glass tower?! I wondered why it was in pieces!

#131 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Would love to hear some suggestions for game characters/sprites that we should add to the world!  So far (as far as I know!) we have... 
 
- Megaman 
- Pacman (which is fucking amazing) 
- Mario 
- Goomba (we've got two goombas because I didn't notice we already had one when I built one!) 
- Sonic 
- Alex Kidd  
 
Surely, being the Giant Bomb server, we need more?!  They're great!

#132 Edited by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@bibamatt:  
  • How about the evolution of Samus Aran? I mean, at least from Metroid 1 to Metroid Fusion (or whatever the latest GBA one was) (Helmet on/off)
  • Heard you guys talking about the GB logo. Go for it. I'd prefer if you outlined it in dirt or something first, that way you can easily correct your mistakes.
  • Rocket Knight (Sparkster), dude. I'll love you guys forever if you make him.
  • And I'm sure there's an 8 or 16-bit Batman out there, right? That's almost mandatory, as well.
#133 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

Yeah! 
 
It's really hard to do anything with lots of red, because the red blocks are all rubbish.  Hell meat-blocks and bricks are about it?

#134 Edited by Amp (48 posts) -
#135 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@Amp: Coloured cloth does not exist in Alpha. Only white cloth.
#136 Posted by Mikemcn (6998 posts) -

Idea: We password protect the server, and then change it every week or month or so, then send the Pass to a list of people via PM.

#137 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" @Amp: Coloured cloth does not exist in Alpha. Only white cloth. "
I wish i knew white cloth existed before I built everything out of snow :-o
#138 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -
@Amp said:
"  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11127975/Zero.jpg If you guys want to get REALLY ambitious, I might take that project on myself. As far as red goes, doesn't the game still have Colored Cloth? Can you use that? "
THAT WOULD BE AMAZING.  Working up to SNES sprites.  NES ones are easy!  I just added Kung-Fu guy.  Again, made mostly of snow (don't melt him!).  HE'S BRILLIANT, THOUGH!
#139 Posted by powrtrio (53 posts) -

tecmo. bowl.
#141 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" @bibamatt:  
  • And I'm sure there's an 8 or 16-bit Batman out there, right? That's almost mandatory, as well.
"
No. Three batmans are mandatory.
#142 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

Uploaded isometric view of current server state. Hard to see from the pic.

#143 Edited by bibamatt (1089 posts) -
@FunExplosions: AWESOME! 
 
Would love to get a hi-res version of it to download if it's available?  Some of the stuff looks ace.  Obviously the big lava tower thing!  Pretty happy that Totoro, Pikachu and Kung-fu guy stand out.  Didn't realise quite how much work had gone on over at the snowy area!  Crikey! 
 
*edit* Oh Ididn't realise you could click the link to get a hi-res version.  EVEN BETTER!  Saw some areas that I'd completely forgotten about.  The Pit City looks ace from above, as does the Pac-Man and the football pitch.   
 
Can't wait to see another map in a month or so.  GOOD WORK, GIANT BOMBCRAFTERS.
#144 Posted by Zachariahus (131 posts) -
@FunExplosions:  
 
NICE! 
I love those isometric views, makes everything look so great!  
 
Also, We need to organize the building of the Giant Bomb sometime soon. If someone wants to head up that project, go for it. But I say it should be the biggest thing on the map, bigger than anything we've created so far. Perhaps put it floating in the ocean behind spawn?
#145 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@bibamatt: I'll take another pic in a few days, maybe even tomorrow. Then when I upload it, I'll try to do it without compression of any sort. Actually, it'd be cool if I took a picture every Tuesday, to make a kind of flip-book down the road. 
 
@Zachariahus: I agree. Seeing where the default spawn point is, I'd recommend putting it in the water near there. That igloo isn't mine, but the underground part of it is, along with that glass orb thing sticking out of the ocean. I'm gonna get rid of those anyway, so don't worry if it interferes. And that golden boat belongs to a user who I recently banned... so it's up to you guys if you want to build over it or not.
#146 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -
@FunExplosions: Did you ban him for burning loads of shit down?
#147 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Literally every Minecraft server has the giant pillar of lave. It's not even interesting to look at anymore.

#148 Edited by Mikemcn (6998 posts) -
@FunExplosions:  Im not sure if Ive been Opped yet, Im wondering if thats possible?
#149 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -
@Haru48 said:
" Literally every Minecraft server has the giant pillar of lave. It's not even interesting to look at anymore. "
Soz.
#150 Posted by Mikemcn (6998 posts) -
@bibamatt said:
" Crikey, I miss the destruction mad GB server!  Just had a little play on the Rawcritics server and got gang-abused for not understanding all the millions of rules.  Apparently you're not allowed to ask for directions, give directions or SPEAK THE NAMES OF SHRINES.  I spoke the name of a shrine and got a million 'WTF WTF' and '*facepalm*'s.  ER, SORRY GUYS. "
Thats my main server, its fucking awesome if you get involved,and there arent alot of rules, just alot of people who have put maybe too much time into building up the server. If you need help you can ask me, ive been on it since the start.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.