wondering about future versions of minecraft

#1 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

I was imagining a day where Minecraft ran on an unreal type engine. Ever think that will be possible? I know most people live the way it looks now with the pixel art, but I could really go for a nicer looking version. Some rounded objects... etc.

What do you guys think?

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@jams said:

" I was imagining a day where Minecraft ran on an unreal type engine. Ever think that will be possible? I know most people live the way it looks now with the pixel art, but I could really go for a nicer looking version. Some rounded objects... etc.   What do you guys think? "

No. No unreal engine. NO no no no no no no no! I like how the game looks now. And he has made no say of changing how it looks. Also he JUST put in easier ways to use textures packages.  

I see this game as a nice pure form of a game. Nothin super fancy just 

You are a dude. You are here. Those  dudes over there...ya those. They want you dead. More come out at night. Hide your ass. And survive. 
#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Anything is possible. I don't think rounded objects fit into the Minecraft universe though.

#4 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I think in the future, people will finally realize how stupid Minecraft is and go play a real game.

#5 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4608 posts) -

Unreal engine? Fuck that. Kinda goes against everything that makes Minecraft unique.

#6 Posted by Khessed (90 posts) -

I think the art style as it is right now invokes creativity from the user in a way that's similar to Lego bricks. Making a sphere from scratch is a lot more satisfying than dragging/dropping a sphere as a predefined object. Changing the style takes from that. Plus, it makes Minecraft unique from any other piece of development software. Otherwise you might as well just call it Source/U3E/Unity.
#7 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Damn I guess so. It's just that the game hurts my eyes sometimes (and sometimes it looks really good).

#8 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

Naw, Unreal engine won't add anything to the pixelated art style of the game.

#9 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3181 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:
" I think in the future, people will finally realize how stupid Minecraft is and go play a real game. "

#10 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

My computer has enough trouble running it as it is.

#11 Edited by Mikemcn (6937 posts) -
@Vinchenzo said:

" I think in the future, people will finally realize how stupid Minecraft is and go play a real game. "

We will burn you. Mr. Gyllenhaal.  
#12 Posted by onarum (1994 posts) -

If you use the better light/better grass mod with a hd texture pack the game looks quite awesome actually.

But it is highly unlikely the game will ever run on a different graphics engine.

#13 Posted by perilator666 (433 posts) -

I remember seeing a screenshot mock-up of what it could like. I think IF (caps aren't big enough for this if) we ever get a graphical update it'll end up looking something like what the Dungeon Keeper series and the new Dungeons looks like. I wouldn't mind that at all but I'm really very OK with how it looks now.

#14 Edited by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:

" My computer has enough trouble running it as it is. "

You have to press the Turbo button!
I'm guessing it must still have one.
#15 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2472 posts) -

Like others are saying, just install some texture packs, it'll make the game look absolutely amazing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.