Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

You know, I think enough is in fact enough

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soldierg654342

[I would like to preface this post by saying that I still love and somewhat regularly play Minecraft. I am simply talking about the coverage of the game

Not to long ago, someone post on this site about the amount of coverage for Kinect hacks and Minecraft. However, his post basically boiled down to "I don't like theses things so stop talking about them" and he was given the appropriate amount of shit by the community.  

Since then, there has been no new developments on the Minecraft front (can't really speak for Kinect, as I don't keep up with it). Notch posted some screenshots of old unfinished projects that he worked on in the past and a youtube video of wolves which will be added at an undisclosed later date, but that's it. 

And yet at least two major gaming sites (Joystiq and The Escapist), have posted  front-page articles on both stories, as well as covering Pert  Molyneux saying nice things about it.  

I understand that Minecraft has become an indie darling and that Notch's rags to riches story is a feel good piece that gives people hope for the future of games, but at what point does covering the thing just become re-blogging the man's Tumblr? Unless there's been a major update, or Notch has made a major announcement regarding it, I don't thing the general gaming populace really needs to know every single little detail about it's progress. At best it's just pandering and at worst it's just a cheap grab for page views. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Example1013
    @SoldierG654342: Funnily enough, I was just thinking something similar as I was reading the other thread that's been active today.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

This is the first I've heard of this.

What the creeper is going on?
    What the creeper is going on?
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

To be fair, joystiq and escapist (and I'm going to add kotaku to this list of offenders) phish for page views to increase their revenue streams. They know lots of people will google minecraft on any given day and having the most recent news articles about it is going to raise their page views. It doesn't matter how shitty their content is as long as it's recent. The quicker and more frequent their content is the more profitable they become (since the escapist's video series are all once a week then those have a consistent quality above that of their writing). That is why people should ignore low quality sites like them and consume their media from sites that produce quality content that isn't rushed like the whiskey sites and EGMi. Personally if someone has a link to any gawker media site I won't bother clicking it and if I accidentally click one that has been shortened by something like bitly then I'll close the window because I know it'll be a waste of time. 

The latest kinect hack has it working with a modded PS3 but the functionality is very limited so far.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Kind of what  @mosespippy said, but at the same time, it's the current fad. It isn't going away. It's a crazy wonderful thing, Minecraft, and personally I am happy for all the attention it's getting. Better than people speculating over when Call of Duty will finally go future or how much the console versions of BF3 will be.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Animasta

Rock Paper Shotgun posts about minecraft every single fucking day, so whatever.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainCody

On a side note, did that indie XBLM Minecraft clone launch yet? Curious if that's a good way for me to get into Legos again or did it just plummet?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew
    @CaptainCody: Either it's not out yet, or they changed the name (Fortresscraft).
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Fallen189

Does that motherfucker even update anymore except "lol i had a taco"?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Oh I don't know. I was quite thrilled when I found a mod that allowed me to build a small plane and fly around in a world I've previously been forced to walk around in.

Don't really care what is written about Minecraft. I stick to watching the Yogscast muck about. It's amusing enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've never visited Joystiq and I learned that I hated the Escapist very very quickly, I couldn't care less about what they write. You are right, most video game media is just reblogging developers and most of the time I just get it fresh from the source. It's why I don't read many news articles about games.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Erm, a ton of games get loads of coverage leading up to their release. This one just has the added benefit of having such a large beta.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soldierg654342
    @GunslingerPanda said:

" Erm, a ton of games get loads of coverage leading up to their release. This one just has the added benefit of having such a large beta. "

I'm not saying that there should be a media blackout on the Minecraft, I'm just saying that sites should wait until there is actual news to post about it. Beta 1.4 would constitute news. That there may be wolves in it (Notch hasn't confirmed that they will be in the next update, only that he's working on them) is not something news worthy, nor is the fact that Notch tried to make some adventure games and side-scrollers in the past. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.