You thought Minecraft creations were already crazy? THINK AGAIN!

#1 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

Someone creates, not only a whole entire Game Boy, but AN ENTIRE STOP MOTION OF LINKS AWAKENING WITH FUCKING BLOCKS

The time and effort to put this together must have been rigorous and disdainful, especially compared to some of the other wacky stuff people have made with Notch's masterpiece. This whole thing will make you question the integrity and ingenuity of the human spirit like no other. Prepare to be astounded, for this is some deep shit, son.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So..he built each scene..took a picture...then made the next one...and repeated? Damn...

#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Not sure if I should be jealous of this dude's dedication or pity how much time he must have on his hands.

#4 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (737 posts) -

@Aronman789: Either way, it's the single greatest undertaking of 2011.

#5 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3075 posts) -

This makes my soul hurt. I mean, I have a lot of free time, but damn.

#6 Posted by VoshiNova (1678 posts) -

That's really fucking neat.

But following the "harsh reality" comments so far, I wish this kind of dedication was spent elsewhere.

#7 Posted by LemonJoose (52 posts) -

People have developed mod software for Minecraft that can do stuff like scan a digital image and render in in minecraft block form. I assume this must have been done using some kind of mod software like that. Doing this manually would have taken years.

#8 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@LemonJoose said:

People have developed mod software for Minecraft that can do stuff like scan a digital image and render in in minecraft block form. I assume this must have been done using some kind of mod software like that. Doing this manually would have taken years.

Yea.  Though this was a lot of work, it;s not as much as the normal person that has casually played Minecraft might think.  This is still awesome though.  No doubt about it.
#9 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

This is amazing...  Like holy crap, this mustve taken the dude so long...

#10 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

I have never been impressed by anything made in creative mode. Talk to me when you have to deal with Creepers.

#11 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

Someone has finally usurped the sheer majesty of my penis statues.

#12 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

Mod tools and clever video editing.

You gotta be real dumb to to believe that someone actually built all that block by block.

#13 Edited by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

I bet it's some crazy algorithm, I find it hard to believe they did it block by block.

#14 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I find this hard to believe.

#15 Posted by karatetron (692 posts) -

That's fucking insane.

#16 Edited by Sputty (143 posts) -

Most of the giant minecraft shit you see was done in the map editor.

#17 Posted by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

@Liber: And yet, if you watch their "making of" video, it shows that they did, in fact, make it block by block and it took five weeks.

#18 Edited by Liber (648 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Liber: And yet, if you watch their "making of" video, it shows that they did, in fact, make it block by block and it took five weeks.

Can you post a link ? I can't find it.

Edit: nvm found it.

Edit 2: Not a very convincing "making of" video.

#19 Edited by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

@Liber: Not to say I blame anyone for being skeptical. I assumed they'd used some kind of mod until I saw the making-of video.

Edit: It shows enough. There really isn't any reason to assume they're lying about their method.

#20 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Liber: Not to say I blame anyone for being skeptical. I assumed they'd used some kind of mod until I saw the making-of video.

If they recorded themselves building at least 1 complex ingame screen and speed up the video that would be far more convincing. For me it just looks like they made the gameboy screens with a map editor and said "break some of these blocks and try to looks like you are building it".

#21 Edited by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I find this hard to believe.

Yeah. I'm not trying make this seem less awesome, because it still is, but this isn't as great as it first appears. First off, there's numerous mods and software out there that lets you map your Minecraft maps in any old image editor, and then import that into a Minecraft map. That's how this guy did it, or at least how he did some of it. Maybe what he did, was copy and paste each scene, or parts of scenes that were the same between frames, and then manually place blocks in the places where there were changes. This is unlikely, though. If he truly did do this for the whole fucking game, then he probably did the foremost option, and went full-on image editor. That being said, he would still have to do it frame-by-frame, and as we see here, there's seemingly more than five frames per second. So the guy is insane, regardless.

edit: seems like it was a team, not just a guy. I stand by my statement, though. Still crazy.

#22 Posted by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

@Liber: I guess you're just more cynical than I am! And I'm usually pretty cynical. But I don't stand to gain anything by doubting the validity of what I saw in the video, nor do I have anything to lose if it turns out they're a bunch of liars. So, having no investment in it either way, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

#23 Posted by Patman99 (1580 posts) -

That thing must be huge. The dude must be like a billion meters in the air just to achieve that resolution.... Pretty cool even though I was more initially amazed by the minecraft Enterprise.

#24 Posted by Liber (648 posts) -

@EchoEcho said:

@Liber: I guess you're just more cynical than I am! And I'm usually pretty cynical. But I don't stand to gain anything by doubting the validity of what I saw in the video, nor do I have anything to lose if it turns out they're a bunch of liars. So, having no investment in it either way, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yea I guess you are right.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but man that's a lot of man hours wasted on something so unnecessary.

#25 Posted by EchoEcho (823 posts) -

@Liber: True, but if it wasn't for people wasting ungodly amounts of their time on completely unnecessary things, the Internet would be kind of a boring wasteland.

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (18956 posts) -

I seen someone, or the same guy, did this for Pokemon as well.

#27 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2486 posts) -

That's crazy!!! I can't believe how accurate it is.

#28 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1767 posts) -

Oh man, the nostalgia of Link's Awakening!

#29 Posted by airconditionn (44 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad said:

This makes my soul hurt. I mean, I have a lot of free time, but damn.

Gonna have to agree with this guy. I got bored WATCHING the production. And even if it didn't take as long as it would have if done manually, I can't imagine how much time had to go into this.

I admire the dedication, but can't it be channeled somewhere more productive? I've never fully understood people who are this dedicated to Minecraft (my brother being one of them).

#30 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Even if it was done in image-mod software or whatever it is, that still must have took a shitton of time even if the guy took 1 of every 3 frames in the real game.

#31 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@LemonJoose said:

Really? What is it called?

#32 Posted by chrissedoff (2082 posts) -

@Tru3_Blu3: disdainful?

#33 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

@Tru3_Blu3: disdainful?

All that effort would make you lose hope in yourself eventually.

#34 Posted by Deleth (250 posts) -

He should make the whole game. Also that Zelda game had the most depressing ending ever.

#35 Posted by CheapPoison (727 posts) -

Flashbacks!

#36 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

You can push the spyky thing with your sheld... I wish that some one would have told me that 20 years ago.

#37 Posted by Nux (2335 posts) -

I can't believe this is real, I meah holy shit.

#38 Posted by avidwriter (667 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Not sure if I should be jealous of this dude's dedication or pity how much time he must have on his hands.

Pity. Much, much pity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.