Mini Ninjas is NOT A KIDDY GAME (rant + wall of text)

#1 Posted by Moeez (486 posts) -

I've seen some people poo-pooing on the Mini Ninjas demo, because it looks kiddy. It doesn't have depth. The combat doesn't have gratuitous violence to stimulate the teenagers.  

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  

This game has more depth than all the recent action adventure games combined. The game is chock full of mechanics! So, let me list out a few. I go to 12. 

1. Change into 3 characters. If you change into the girl, her idle animation is her singing a song with her flute!   

2. Spirit-jack animals. This I used A LOT for stealth, when grass wasn't there. The care and attention put into each animals is unexpected; like the chicken squawking if you press the jump button!   

3. Fishing! I had no idea this was in here. Very Zelda-esque.  

4. Finding plants and flowers. Now, I couldn't make ingredients yet, but I'm excited about it in the full game.  

5. Hidden magic shrines. Using the butterflies to locate them, and find a completely new part of the world when you're rowing in the water and go through waterfalls into a very secluded area. It was exploration for the win!  

6. The charged-up power attack was very cool, made me feel like a badass ninja. I even leveled it up to 3. 

#2 Posted by Moeez (486 posts) -

7. Doing the fetch quest for the crow, so he gives you 3 power attacks! Very handy in the battles where you want to surprise them.  

8. SHOPPING! You can go and shop for items and healing potions and weapons, if you're low in supply. 

9. Going from stealth to combat to stealth was very easy and intuitive. I'm a very stealthy gamer, and I'm glad the game's AI allows for such a playstyle where you can do surprise attacks on enemies. 

10. Surprise attacks! Stealth one-hit kills, Fireballs, lightning, the power attack, Fujo's big roll, pepper bombs, caltrops. I used them all in different situations, like the caltrops I used in the place where the boar is. Pepper bombs are excellent if you want a whole area affected, so whenever new samurai arrive there, they'll be stunned. It's kind of like a temporary mine XD 

11. Open world. Atmosphere is great, like when you hear the music change ambient as you come across the shop guy. The demo is huge, I probably spent 90 minutes with it. Great level design. Fishing for Sushi. Exploring every nook and cranny. Like the hidden magic shrines. Like the part where you do WALL-JUMPING. Like shaking the trees for healing items. 

12. Combat. It's not about combos. But it's very sandbox-y much like PROTOTYPE. You have lots of abilities at your disposal. You have 3 characters to switch between. You have power attacks, jump attacks, then the red power attacks, shurikens, fireballs, lightning storm. Before full-blown combat, you also have the "surprise attacks" mentioned on point 9 above. The great thing? Very easy to switch between all these because of the RB analog wheel. I love wheel systems in games like PROTOTYPE or CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK. They're making full use of being a console game. 

In conclusion, there are so many mechanics here to get into that add to the variety of the game. It's IO Interactive going back to their Hitman roots of having many mechanics to allow choice to the player. And the gorgeous art style never gets me bored. This game has personality and charm, that is absent in most AAA blockbuster titles. It reminds of me the last-gen PS2 era of action-adventure games like Jak, Ratchet, Spyro, etc. 

The problem with most "core" gamers and this game would be: it looks KIDDY. Yes, kiddy in terms of art style and lack of gratuitous violence or sex or gore. But NOT KIDDY in terms of gameplay and depth. Heck, this game has more depth than all the other popular action adventure games like God of War. Great level design, variety, open world, Hitman-like gameplay, art style, atmosphere. I'm amazed how much attention to detail IO has put in this game, considering everyone is just clamoring for Hitman 5 or just sequels to their other great franchises.  Stop waiting for the next Zelda, it's already here. And it's all about cute ninjas.        

#3 Posted by PenguinDust (12600 posts) -

I don't care how it looks as long as it's fun.  I'll definitely take a closer look at it considering your recommendation.  Thanks for heads up.  I heard about the game on a podcast, so I was curious to begin with but (like most things) put off checking out the download off PSN/XBL.  I will take the time now.

#4 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I look forward to the possibility that i could be a good game.  I love the look of it, but then again, I am well known for preferring cartoon graphics oner realism.  I just played GTA IV today, for the first time and I really dislike the graphics, they do nothing for me at all.

#5 Posted by Moeez (486 posts) -
@oldschool said:
" I look forward to the possibility that i could be a good game.  I love the look of it, but then again, I am well known for preferring cartoon graphics oner realism.  I just played GTA IV today, for the first time and I really dislike the graphics, they do nothing for me at all. "
I like that the weather changes in GTA IV, but the colours look very drab. It's like a mood setting on a TV is turned on. 
#6 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Moeez said:
" @oldschool said:
" I look forward to the possibility that i could be a good game.  I love the look of it, but then again, I am well known for preferring cartoon graphics oner realism.  I just played GTA IV today, for the first time and I really dislike the graphics, they do nothing for me at all. "
I like that the weather changes in GTA IV, but the colours look very drab. It's like a mood setting on a TV is turned on.  "
I don't doubt the game is good and I will get some fun out of it (I got it cheap anyway), but even the characters look horrid.  As I said, give me cartoon graphics, which can still be adult (Red Steel 2) - colour that my eyes enjoy.  Mini Ninjas looks very nice and the characters are just want I want in a game - visually.  Let's hope the gameplay matches it.
#7 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

From the demo, it seemed ilke a button mashing X adventure.

A lot of the fighting animations didn't seem very fluid.

#8 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I know from my own perception, when you see a title that looks 'kiddie' and it doesn't have real great graphics, seemingly, you wonder if the entire game will be crap.  All too often kiddie+low production values also = bad gameplay.

#9 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

Yeah, I definately agree with you. The game seems to have a lot of depth to it, judging by the demo.

#10 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The demo was very kiddy. The full game hopefully throws some clever challenges your way. Are you playing the full?

I'm still looking for genuine Wii footage to see how it looks on it, it shouldn't be much worse but meh, you never know.

#11 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

i just played the demo this is fucking fun as fuck !

#12 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

The problem is that the characters do look kiddy and that they named the game Mini Ninjas.

Now if they named it something like Micro Ninjas or, you know, something more interesting... it might change people's mind.

#13 Posted by PureRok (4236 posts) -
@Emilio: Like... Midget Ninjas from Sector Nine.
#14 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4897 posts) -
@thecleric said:
" From the demo, it seemed ilke a button mashing X adventure.  A lot of the fighting animations didn't seem very fluid. "
Pretty much.'

I got nothing about the art style though.
#15 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@PureRok: 
Waaaaay better name.
Midget Ninjas from Sector Nine 2: From the Hood should be the sequel title.
#16 Posted by maimran91 (361 posts) -
@Moeez: Wheel System? you mean Radial Menu
#17 Edited by hedfone (1751 posts) -
@maimran91: really? a 9 month old thread?
#18 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Moeez: I love that game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.