Mini Ninjas Rant

Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
Mini Ninjas. 

I do not understand why there hasn't been any hype about this game. Seriously I haven't heard one person mention it on any podcast, news article, or what have you.

A month or so ago I saw the first trailer and thought it looked promising. But now that the demo is out, I've seen it on my tv and played through it a few times. I've got to say, Mini Ninjas has definitely got my full attention.

I don't want to get carried away here, but it really feels like a compilation of all the best 3d platformers from the N64 in it's prime. I got flashbacks of Banjo Kazooie mixed with Mystical Ninja. The enemies are adorable little samurai that I can't help but smile at. Also the game looks like an HD version of Wind Waker, which is fantastic. I wish I could show you the sky and grass in certain areas, it's so gorgeous.

Don't go thinking this game is super shallow just because it's kid-friendly either. There are a ton of abilities to unlock and items to check out. You have fireball spells, lightning storm spells, even one that can make you visit the spirit realm and take control of your enemies. I've found that you can go about your encounters in many different ways. Even by Solid Snake-ing your way past the enemies by crawling through the grass. The demo takes place in just one area but I happened to find a bunch of secret areas and items that you would easily miss by just going down the designated path.
Hopefully when the game comes out the reviews are positive. Even if they are, I get the feeling that Mini Ninjas will go unnoticed by the masses. Its cartoony style and kid-friendly theme definitely wont win over any of the "Hardcore" guys that only play FPS on their 360s and PS3s. Ironically those are the things I find most appealing about the game. How sad is it that during this entire generation I can't think of one game that is colorful, cartoony, and for lack of a better word, N64esque. I miss being a kid sometimes. I just wish I could do it on my PS3.

Mini Ninjas might go down in history as a cult classic. Then again, it might just end up sucking balls! lol

-javi
#1 Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
Mini Ninjas. 

I do not understand why there hasn't been any hype about this game. Seriously I haven't heard one person mention it on any podcast, news article, or what have you.

A month or so ago I saw the first trailer and thought it looked promising. But now that the demo is out, I've seen it on my tv and played through it a few times. I've got to say, Mini Ninjas has definitely got my full attention.

I don't want to get carried away here, but it really feels like a compilation of all the best 3d platformers from the N64 in it's prime. I got flashbacks of Banjo Kazooie mixed with Mystical Ninja. The enemies are adorable little samurai that I can't help but smile at. Also the game looks like an HD version of Wind Waker, which is fantastic. I wish I could show you the sky and grass in certain areas, it's so gorgeous.

Don't go thinking this game is super shallow just because it's kid-friendly either. There are a ton of abilities to unlock and items to check out. You have fireball spells, lightning storm spells, even one that can make you visit the spirit realm and take control of your enemies. I've found that you can go about your encounters in many different ways. Even by Solid Snake-ing your way past the enemies by crawling through the grass. The demo takes place in just one area but I happened to find a bunch of secret areas and items that you would easily miss by just going down the designated path.
Hopefully when the game comes out the reviews are positive. Even if they are, I get the feeling that Mini Ninjas will go unnoticed by the masses. Its cartoony style and kid-friendly theme definitely wont win over any of the "Hardcore" guys that only play FPS on their 360s and PS3s. Ironically those are the things I find most appealing about the game. How sad is it that during this entire generation I can't think of one game that is colorful, cartoony, and for lack of a better word, N64esque. I miss being a kid sometimes. I just wish I could do it on my PS3.

Mini Ninjas might go down in history as a cult classic. Then again, it might just end up sucking balls! lol

-javi
#2 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I downloaded the demo and enjoyed it, but the demo gives you an impression that the combat lacks depth, because they start you off so early in the game. Aside from all that, I thought it was pretty neat as far as the abilities you have, possessing animals, using a hat as boat and stuff. And the art style is awesome and the narration is OK, even if it never feels authentic.

#3 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Is this game a boxed retail product or a downloadable game on the PSN and XBLA?

#4 Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
@Linkyshinks: Yeah, I really enjoyed the boat stuff. Even fishing, although as shallow as just tapping Square....was reminiscent of Zelda. I can see how the combat felt kind of shallow, but more than anything I had a blast just exploring and trying out all my abilities.
#5 Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
@VWGTI: Boxed Retail.
#6 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

Meh, I'll check out the demo, but there are way too many awesome titles coming out over the next few months for me to even think about picking this up.

#7 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I played the demo and, man, that game was nothing special. In fact, it was sort of mediocre. I thought it was pretty much Kung Fu Panda but cel-shaded. I laughed when I possessed a panda, but the combat was way too easy and simple and the movement seemed like nothing special, at least not in the vain of the great 3D platformers. I honestly don't know which game you are referring to above because what I played is not it.

#8 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

The marketing behind this game is pretty awful. 

I had to go out of my way to find information about it. I wasn't impressed much by the demo either.. the whole thing felt a little... pointless. :/

#9 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

I thought it was meh

#10 Edited by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
@RHCPfan24: I can see where you're coming from. In fact I think I'm going to get a lot of crap for my enthusiasm....but to be fair, Kung Fu panda got decent reviews, and I think Mini Ninjas will be much much better, not only because there's not a movie license attached but because the developers have a decent pedigree. They made all the Hitman titles, of which I am a fan of. 

I agree with you about the combat though, judging by the little cutscene at the end of the demo though, things should start getting more interesting as the game progresses. But like I said, Mini Ninjas might just end up sucking ass. I do feel good about what I've seen so far though.
#11 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

I've had this game in the bavl of my mind since E3. when is it comming out exactly ?

#12 Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
@tiwi: September 1st apparently.
#13 Posted by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

So next week... maybe. I'll read some rewievs before making a decision. As you say it could be crap

#14 Posted by Juvi008ok (27 posts) -
@tiwi: indeed
#15 Posted by Lashe (1245 posts) -

I love the art style, it's fantastic. However it did feel very generic in the demo, although that's to be expected I guess. Blue Dragon was the same - demo felt like ass, game was pretty awesome - so here's hoping!

#16 Edited by Ninja (523 posts) -

I support all the endeavours of the Ninja people, be they big or mini.

I must say that the game looks fun and exciting and a definate departure from IO interactive usual style, this decision can be commended and all the best to the game.

#17 Posted by Pie (7073 posts) -

I just want a new hitman game already! No more of these medicore games.

#18 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

How long is it? The game is like 6 Gigabytes, which surprised me, there must be alot more in there then i thought.
#19 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -
@VWGTI said:
" Meh, I'll check out the demo, but there are way too many awesome titles coming out over the next few months for me to even think about picking this up. "
The game costs $50 on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, $40 on the Wii, and $30 on the PC and NDS. ;)

I agree I loved this game and will have to pick it up sometime in the future. :)
#20 Posted by cstrfrk (24 posts) -

God I was just telling a friend of mine that this game brings me back to the good old days of N64 and Banjo Kazooie.  I'm loving this game.  I too wonder why this game is being reviewed by any of the other gaming sites.  I don't get it.

#21 Posted by Rrang (78 posts) -

yeah this game is pretty awesome.. maybe there are so many games coming out around now that its being overshadowed?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.