Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

EA rejects Mirror's Edge 2 pitch.

• 89 results
    patrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By patrick

Game had too much color, needed moar brown.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Jimbo
    @Aetheldod:@OneManX: DICE are owned by EA.
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By CastroCasper

That kind of sucks. I was hoping that they would take what they learned from the first and make an awesome sequel, but who knows. Maybe what they shown looked horrible, maybe they got screwed. Either way I hope the resources go towards a new IP instead of an existing one.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By 234r2we232
    @GreggD said:

" @sofacitysweetheart said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. "
    That's old thinking. "
    That should be their slogan: 

EA: Old Thinking... Always Annual.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Pinworm45
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. Also, DLC. "
    hi you seem to have confused EA with Activision.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Pinworm45 said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. Also, DLC. "
    hi you seem to have confused EA with Activision. "
    Hi. Last time I checked, EA was releasing more annual titles than Activision, and had a much more aggressive approach to DLC than Activision. 

So, no. I don't.
    striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By striderno9

Sad, the first game was really different, and fun. It had a lot of potential. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By xyzygy

Production of a great and genuinely unique franchise halted to make way for more shooters. Yay.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By dantheman1515

This blows. I bought the game about a year after launch for like 30 dollars and really loved the game mechanics when they were executed. The combat was terrible, but I loved the art aesthetics and music. It had some great ideas and I wish they were making another one.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By LordCmdrStryker

Looks like someone might need to just go around EA and rip it off wholesale, Gameloft-style, if we ever want to see anything like it again. 

On second thought, you know what would be awesome?  A whole bunch of timed levels and obstacle courses that you could play online with your friends, with online multiplayer leaderboards and dlc courses, all downloadable from XBLA and PSN.  They should make that.  In fact, they could probably get away with just cutting out parts of the old game and releasing it.  I don't even care if they cut out the story entirely.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By SumDeus

I've wanted Mirror's Edge since the day it came out..and I still haven't gotten it. I'm all talk...

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#62  Edited By Soap

FUCK YOU EA! Damn man, Mirrors Edge was one of the most unique and interesting games I've ever played. I loved the visual style, it was just so pretty and the music got me into Solarfields.  

So again, FUCK YOU EA! 

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Aus_azn

The game wasn't that good, this does not surprise at all.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Jeffsekai

Good.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Brendan

Too bad, but honestly I think people put Mirror's Edge on a bit too high of a pedestal.  It came out as an original IP during the year when EA finally got some recognition for doing so with multiple titles but in all honesty it was just ok.  

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By 02sfraser

Kind of a shame but not really that bothered. Would have been interesting to see but that's business.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#67  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordCmdrStryker said:
    " Looks like someone might need to just go around EA and rip it off wholesale, Gameloft-style, if we ever want to see anything like it again.  On second thought, you know what would be awesome?  A whole bunch of timed levels and obstacle courses that you could play online with your friends, with online multiplayer leaderboards and dlc courses, all downloadable from XBLA and PSN.  They should make that.  In fact, they could probably get away with just cutting out parts of the old game and releasing it.  I don't even care if they cut out the story entirely. "
    They actually did release a downloadable time trial course for the game.  It was an interesting idea, but they didn't really do much with it beyond that one offering.

Mirror's Edge was a flawed game.  A sequel could do a lot to improve on what was wrong, but if EA's criteria of "wrong" is "no multiplayer included" then they really don't get it.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @BulletproofMonk said:

sumably the extra development is going into Battlefield 3"

then im happy. cancel both Mirror's Edge 2 and BC3, just gimme a good BF3
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GreggD
    " @GreggD said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. "
    That's old thinking. "
    That should be their slogan: 

EA: Old Thinking... Always Annual. "
    Well, somebody's in a mood today. 
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By 234r2we232
    @GreggD: Um... Is it you?
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#71  Edited By wickedsc3
    @Mordukai said:
    . That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
    Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   
    Now the single player is awesome!! 
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#72  Edited By spankingaddict

That's sucks, but it's not that necessary.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Andorski
    @wickedsc3 said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    . That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
    Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   Now the single player is awesome!!  "
    Isn't Dead Space 2 selling well?  If anything, this will push them to do more multiplayer stuff.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GreggD
    " @GreggD: Um... Is it you? "
    Nope. The thing is, they don't release all of their games on a yearly basis. Some, yes, but that's mostly sports games. Skate has no game this year, nor will Medal of Honor. Battlefield is doing two separate series, last year with Bad Company 2, this year with BF3. SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. Need for Speed, I will concede on. But to assert that they're worse than Activision with annual releases...let me put it this way. There's a reason that Activision has been canning sequels and firing people left and right as of late.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mordukai
    @Andorski said:
    " @wickedsc3 said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   Now the single player is awesome!!  "
    Isn't Dead Space 2 selling well?  If anything, this will push them to do more multiplayer stuff. "
    People are not buying it for the MP and EA knows that. The MP was put on because people complained when the first game didn't have any. Dead Space 2 would have benefited better from a 'Horde" like mode. I am really surprised the game didn't ship with that mode in it. Unless EA are planning to use that as a money making things later on.
    FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#76  Edited By FreakAche

Too bad. Mirror's Edge 1 was actually pretty good.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Andorski
    @Mordukai: I think it's too far reaching to say that EA knows multiplayer is irrelevant to Dead Space 2's success.  My personal experience with the corporate world is that if facts cannot translate into numbers for Excel to calculate, it's not brought up in the meeting.
    Mattxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Mattxx

A bummer indeed. Mirror's Edge had a ton of charm, there's nothing really like it.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Aus_azn
    @GreggD said:
    " SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. . "
    I am actually in tears at this. It looks nothing like the SSX I knew. Stripping the series' heart and soul out is definitely a good move, right?

I'm almost inclined to say that it'd be worse than SSX Blur, but I'm going to reserve my judgment until reviews come out.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Mordukai said:
    " @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " Well you know...If DICE had put the game through proper QA then a lot of issues would have been resolved. Mirror's Edge was a nice refreshing new IP that had charm but was plagued with some really odd design choices. As far as I'm concern EA is in the right.   And again EA seems to think that MP=Longevity. That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
    Why wouldn't they? Battlefield 2 was one of their best selling games and people are still playing it. "
    In FPS maybe. Only good MP adds longevity. Go look at the numbers and see which MP are being played on xbl and psn. Not every game needs MP. As proven by the first game which still has a strong community with no MP. "
    I don't think EA cares whether everyone ends up playing the multiplayer or not. It's something they can add to a game at a (relatively) low cost to EA, since they can outsource development easily. It adds a value to the game that could attract someone on the fence into buying it. Whether they play it much or not isn't a big deal, they've already payed the 60 bucks. EA saying every game needs MP is.... something only really feasible for companies like EA and Activision, but if they can afford it, why not? It doesn't make the game cost any more, and since most of it is outsourced, it doesn't take up time from the proper developers of that game. So it's not exactly harming anyone. I agree the MP in Dead Space 2 is unnecessary, but hey there's this great single player game for us to enjoy. 
    momosauky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By momosauky1

i really reaally wanted them to pull an assassin creed with this game, take all the potential from the first game and make it amazing in the sequel. 

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GreggD
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @GreggD said:
    " SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. . "
    I am actually in tears at this. It looks nothing like the SSX I knew. Stripping the series' heart and soul out is definitely a good move, right?  I'm almost inclined to say that it'd be worse than SSX Blur, but I'm going to reserve my judgment until reviews come out. "
    All I care about is if it features the old characters (which it does), big airs and ridiculous speed (which it allegedly does), natural events of destruction like avalanches (check), and a kickass soundtrack (Blackbox is known for their great licensed soundtracks). It hits all of my wants, so here's hoping the game is worth playing.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Aus_azn
    @GreggD: I guess we'll see. SSX 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, and SSX Tricky comes pretty damn close to that mark too. I saved myself from the blasphemy that was On Tour, but was disappointed at how Blur was a cartoonified remake of 3. I hope Deadly Descents pays off.
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By GreggD
    @Aus_azn: You and me both, buddy.
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RedRoach

Well this really sucks. Games like Mirror's Edge and Prototype deserve to get a sequel more than another Halo game. Yes i love my sequels and I'm not saying they should stop making Uncharted games or anything. But the games are so full of potential and with a second chance you could really make a classic, But sadly it's an industry and Publishers don't like to take big risks with their money usually.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By chrissedoff
    @BulletproofMonk said:
    " http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-14-report-ea-rejects-mirrors-edge-2-pitch      Kind of a bummer. Mirror's Edge had some great potential. Some improvements with the combat and it would've been fantastic. Oh well, at least they're not completely abandoning it, which gives some hope.  Also, couldn't come up with a better title. Lazy. "
    elimination of the combat from the game would have been fantastic
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Delicious_Brains

I never got around to finishing the first game but I thought it was pretty good. That dude's reasoning for rejecting it is utter shit. "No multiplayer", really?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#88  Edited By Jadeskye

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Worst news ever. I was really looking forward to the inevitable sequel that apparently wasn't so inevitable. 

God damn it, great start to my day.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pwnasaurus

damn i really liked the first mirrors edge. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.