Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 07, 2016

A reboot of the previously singleton franchise, this game features Faith using parkour in an open-world.

Who's excited for this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Who's excited for this game? (172 votes)

I am. 44%
    Not me. 22%
    I'm not sure if I want it yet. 34%

This comes out pretty soon. I'm still kind of waiting to see what it has to offer, more than what I've seen from videos of the beta, but I enjoyed the first Mirror's Edge enough to want to look forward to a new game. In the first, the biggest draws were the setting, the soundtrack, and the potential to get your speed up. The aspects that lacked for me personally, and mainly, was its length, and the story/characters, which I thought was adequate, but could have be a lot more engaging. I liked it well enough that over the years, I've beaten it more than once, which shouldn't seem awkward, but does, because I don't feel like it's a game necessarily worth going through again. Maybe it's not that, and it's more about putting it down after I first beat it, and picked it up again way later to beat it, then that happened a third time. It did kind of lack content. I also bought it on Steam earlier this year, but I didn't finish it there. I am hoping to enjoy what I enjoyed with the first game, and enjoy what I thought could be good with the second. What about you? Are you excited, and do you plan on getting it?

So, instead of making a new thread, I thought I'd ask, now that it's been out, what did you all think of it? I didn't pick it up... Yet? From what I saw of it when the game came out, the open world design seemed really bland. I don't like what looks like NPC's just standing there, which seems awkward, and then all they do is perhaps give you boring time trial missions. I'm not saying that's what it is, only that, that's what it looks like. I loved the music, setting, and speed you could get in the original, how does this game improve on other aspects, and maybe those same ones? Does it improve on stuff, or take a turn for the worse with them, as well as with the addition of new mechanics?

• 
    Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The first game is one of my favorite games. I've beaten it upwards of ten times, and will continue to go back to it for the foreseeable future. I will buy the sequel.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. Mirror's Edge wasn't worth full price and the sequel looks just as... Well, I don't wanna say shallow, but there really isn't that much to the formula. I feel like I've already played this game. I'm gonna wait for a big discount.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm excited. It's been 8 years since the last game. And there haven't been a lot of ME clones in the meantime either. So even if I didn't like it as much as I do I'd at least be curious.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I am cautiously excited. I absolutely loved the first Mirror's Edge despite a rather frustrating experience in the latter half of the game. I am, however, a bit skeptic about the open world approach and the need include these social time trials. But as long as the latter isn't crammed down my throat and the open world aspect doesn't ruin the flow of the game (and judging from the beta, it doesn't) then I will be getting this day one, barring shitty reviews.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pompouspizza

I'm so glad they made another one. I really enjoyed the beta and have the game preloaded on Xbox One. I also bought a month subscription to EA access so I can play it a week early.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I am, but I have no money for a game of this type, sadly.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed doing a no weapons run for my first and only playthrough of the first game. So I'll probably play the second one at some point. Sadly I'm pretty much broke these days, so It's probably gonna be a while before I get to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am I'm actually replaying the original again I'm so glad this game is getting a sequel I just wish it had the same voice actor.But it's a day 1 buy for me Mirror's Edge was and still is to me a unique AAA game that try something different especially at the time of it's release when every triple a game was copying from COD4 so glad where starting to get past that point.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As one of the few people who really liked Mirror's Edge one and thought the controls were the right balance of natural without being totally brain-dead I'm hoping that this game survives it's transition a 2016 open world game intact. If it can nail the "flow" of the first game moving around its open world without it feeling like Assassin's Creed style "hold shift to parkour" it'll be a winner in my book.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm cautiously optimistic. The beta reaffirmed to me that the core of Mirror's Edge is fun, and they haven't ruined that. The question is just a matter of the game built around that core. How many bespoke levels are there going to be? Is the game built with the assumption that you want to spend tons of time in that overworld finding collectibles, time trials, etc? If so, I don't think that stuff is enough to carry an entire game.

We'll see. I'll probably play it no matter what, but it'd be nice if it was good enough to go out and buy near launch.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I absolutely loved the first game, but I didn't enjoy the beta of this much. I feel that the open world formula is tacked on, and all the "open world activities" i did in the beta were dull.

I will try it on EA access and see.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am. I've always wanted this series to go open with parkour so it could be fun to explore with the move sets you're given and I love the look of the world with it's strong use of colours.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The original had the best first person movement in any game ever created, ever. By a huge margin. I disagree with Brad; I don't think Dyling Light comes anywhere close to it. Easier =/= better. It's absolutely like a Burnout vs Forza argument. Dying Light's parkour existed for the purpose of getting from point A to point B in service of combat. Mirror's Edge allowed for such precision as far as movement goes that time trials actually made sense. You were shaving off seconds, tens of seconds and hundreds of seconds. You need more skill to control it, but once you do it feels amazing.

It's one of my favorite games of all time. Can't wait for Catalyst. No doubt it will once again be underrated which is a shame, but at least I got to play another one of those. I didn't think it was actually going to happen.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first game despite it's huge flaws and I'm excited to see this do well, but im not too keen on a free roaming fps parkour game. I think the linear level design is what helped the first game be enjoyable, trying to figure out what to run on sucks but stringing together runs is cool as shit. Small focused gameplay and time trials is where to go IMO, also dying light made me extremely nauseous after 10 minutes.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beta actually killed my excitement for it. I wasn't really impressed with their open world, from what I saw. Also I was confused about the time trials. If you're unlocking abilities, does that mean the time trial leaderboards will take that into account? Or will the people with all abilities unlocked just have a huge advantage? So is there a point in doing any of the trials before you've reached the end of the unlocks?

Also the giant glowing collectibles were a bummer to see. I don't know what I was expecting, but it disappointed me.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Twinblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already subscribed to Origin Access so I can play it earlier. I haven't been this excited for a game in a while.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, some of the opinions from the beta had me worried. However, I was one of those people who was constantly and consistently voicing his desire for a sequel to Mirror's Edge, and they're finally making one, and I want to play it. I'm still not sure if it's a day one purchase for me, will probably make sure it performs well on the PS4 (PC is long overdue an upgrade) but put me down for "cautiously optimistic".

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think Phil Kollar had some weak things to say about the beta that turned me off considering how many other top notch games I already have and need to play through. Especially after spending so much time to Plat Doom.

HeyItsDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really enjoyed my time with the beta, and put in 5+ hours with that alone. The player time trials weren't something that interested me terribly, because everyone is faster than I am, and I'm okay with that. The movement feels good (although I wish there was a bit more of a tactile sensation when you hit full speed), and the open world point-to-point stuff feels solid. I will happily run around aimlessly in a big, pretty open world for hours.

As soon as I can actually afford it. :(

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never finished the first game. I'd sooner go back to that than buy a new one. If it's great I may do just that and then buy this one.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BrainScratch

Loved the first, it's one of my personal top 10 favorites, but after playing the Beta I'm really disappointed. I went from "I might pre-order" to "I might buy this once it gets cheaper". Hope they fixed some of the problems and it's actually better than expected, but it's really hard to keep the excitement I had before.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By newmoneytrash

i just didn't enjoy the first game

for a free running game nothing about it felt free

Sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 1, I enjoyed the beta and just played through Mirror's Edge and can tell how much more flowing Catalyst actually feels, some people have their nostalgia glasses on when it comes to ME1 vs Catalyst.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm one of the 50 people who bought the original game and while I enjoyed it well enough I never got too heavily into the whole time trial business. Played the beta and once again I thought it was fun and something new, but I just don't know if thats enough for me to sink $60 into.

It's real cool for Ea to bring this back but I'm curious if it's actually going to do worse than the original in terms of sales. Maybe I'm completely off base here but I just don't see this sort of game appealing to a great many people.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm excited! I really loved the original game and I'm happy that EA decided to give it another shot. I was worried for a while that the franchise was dead.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is out next week, huh. At least it's coming after a handful of bigger titles and might get some potential new buyers who need to find something else to play, now that No Man's Sky got delayed.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted to bump this, and since it's been out, I thought I'd ask what people thought. Time has sunk in, and I assume those that played it are already done with it, so how was it? I didn't get it.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ntm said:

I wanted to bump this, and since it's been out, I thought I'd ask what people thought. Time has sunk in, and I assume those that played it are already done with it, so how was it? I didn't get it.

I'm probably a mission or two away from finishing it. No spoilers, but I can see why it didn't get great reviews. I played it on PS4, and it honestly doesn't look all that great. There are texture pop-in issues, and while the draw distance is okay, the level of detail when things are far away is not. Still, better that than dropping frames a lot, which the game doesn't seem to do.

The city feels pretty massive and detailed, but the trail leading you to the next objectives pretty much NEEDS to be used constantly, and it doesn't work well at all for keeping you moving. Frequently, I'd come to a split hallway, press the button for the "runners vision" trail, and not know if it came out of me to the left or the right. There's no indication where to turn, so you basically need to spin around until you find the trail again. It doesn't work well at all. It slows you down, and makes you feel lost at times, until you can get your bearings again. Thankfully, it's mostly an issue when outside of a mission, but isn't too bad otherwise.

Combat isn't great either, but it's largely improved from the original. If they could have created a FPS version of the Arkham Batman games or something, it would have been amazing. Instead, it feels more like Skyrim than the best of the genre. Running away also feels much better than it did in the first game--mainly due to the ability to quickly attack while you're running--but you're often not given the choice, and have to fight.

Upgrades are nice, but the decision to force you to either upgrade your moveset or your ability to fight was just stupid. It lead to a situation where I didn't even have all the movement skills halfway into this game that I had in the first Mirror's Edge. The best new skills are gated by missions, which makes a lot more sense.

The good news is if you loved Mirror's Edge, this game feels like home. Home in a sprawling open city, that feels much larger than the areas in the original. It's not what it could have been, but if you temper your expectations going in, it's still great to be able to play more of this again. Definitely worth playing, but also worth waiting for a sale.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finished the game now. Again, no spoilers, but terrible ending. Unless you're a massive fan who has to have more Mirror's Edge in their life, I'd wait a year or two until you can find this one for very cheap. That ending really turned me off from the somewhat kind of enjoyable experience the rest of the game was.

To end a reboot this way? Dice should be ashamed of themselves.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ptys

EA clearly didn't put much behind the development of this game. It visually doesn't look as good as the E3 demo and the character movement hasn't improved much since the original, which sucks cause when they announced it I thought they would really try and complete what they started. I'm halfway through... its as good as the first but not better. There are some nice moments in there though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.