EA rejects Mirror's Edge 2 pitch.

• 89 results
#51 Posted by patrick (563 posts) -

Game had too much color, needed moar brown.

#52 Posted by Jimbo (9928 posts) -
@Aetheldod: @OneManX: DICE are owned by EA.
#53 Posted by CastroCasper (1304 posts) -

That kind of sucks. I was hoping that they would take what they learned from the first and make an awesome sequel, but who knows. Maybe what they shown looked horrible, maybe they got screwed. Either way I hope the resources go towards a new IP instead of an existing one.

#54 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@GreggD said:

" @sofacitysweetheart said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. "
That's old thinking. "
That should be their slogan: 

EA: Old Thinking... Always Annual.
#55 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. Also, DLC. "
hi you seem to have confused EA with Activision.
#56 Edited by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. Also, DLC. "
hi you seem to have confused EA with Activision. "
Hi. Last time I checked, EA was releasing more annual titles than Activision, and had a much more aggressive approach to DLC than Activision. 

So, no. I don't.
#57 Posted by StriderNo9 (1142 posts) -

Sad, the first game was really different, and fun. It had a lot of potential. 

#58 Edited by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

Production of a great and genuinely unique franchise halted to make way for more shooters. Yay.

#59 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

This blows. I bought the game about a year after launch for like 30 dollars and really loved the game mechanics when they were executed. The combat was terrible, but I loved the art aesthetics and music. It had some great ideas and I wish they were making another one.

#60 Posted by LordCmdrStryker (346 posts) -

Looks like someone might need to just go around EA and rip it off wholesale, Gameloft-style, if we ever want to see anything like it again. 

On second thought, you know what would be awesome?  A whole bunch of timed levels and obstacle courses that you could play online with your friends, with online multiplayer leaderboards and dlc courses, all downloadable from XBLA and PSN.  They should make that.  In fact, they could probably get away with just cutting out parts of the old game and releasing it.  I don't even care if they cut out the story entirely.

#61 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

I've wanted Mirror's Edge since the day it came out..and I still haven't gotten it. I'm all talk...

#62 Posted by Soap (3629 posts) -

FUCK YOU EA! Damn man, Mirrors Edge was one of the most unique and interesting games I've ever played. I loved the visual style, it was just so pretty and the music got me into Solarfields.  

So again, FUCK YOU EA! 

#63 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

The game wasn't that good, this does not surprise at all.

#64 Posted by Jeffsekai (7049 posts) -

Good.

#65 Posted by Brendan (7978 posts) -

Too bad, but honestly I think people put Mirror's Edge on a bit too high of a pedestal.  It came out as an original IP during the year when EA finally got some recognition for doing so with multiple titles but in all honesty it was just ok.  

#66 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Kind of a shame but not really that bothered. Would have been interesting to see but that's business.

#67 Posted by Hailinel (25200 posts) -
@LordCmdrStryker said:
" Looks like someone might need to just go around EA and rip it off wholesale, Gameloft-style, if we ever want to see anything like it again.  On second thought, you know what would be awesome?  A whole bunch of timed levels and obstacle courses that you could play online with your friends, with online multiplayer leaderboards and dlc courses, all downloadable from XBLA and PSN.  They should make that.  In fact, they could probably get away with just cutting out parts of the old game and releasing it.  I don't even care if they cut out the story entirely. "
They actually did release a downloadable time trial course for the game.  It was an interesting idea, but they didn't really do much with it beyond that one offering.

Mirror's Edge was a flawed game.  A sequel could do a lot to improve on what was wrong, but if EA's criteria of "wrong" is "no multiplayer included" then they really don't get it.
#68 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:

sumably the extra development is going into Battlefield 3"

then im happy. cancel both Mirror's Edge 2 and BC3, just gimme a good BF3
#69 Posted by GreggD (4509 posts) -
" @GreggD said:

" EA will only lke it if you can turn it into an annual franchise. "
That's old thinking. "
That should be their slogan: 

EA: Old Thinking... Always Annual. "
Well, somebody's in a mood today. 
#70 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@GreggD: Um... Is it you?
#71 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
. That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   
Now the single player is awesome!! 
#72 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

That's sucks, but it's not that necessary.

#73 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -
@wickedsc3 said:
" @Mordukai said:
. That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   Now the single player is awesome!!  "
Isn't Dead Space 2 selling well?  If anything, this will push them to do more multiplayer stuff.
#74 Posted by GreggD (4509 posts) -
" @GreggD: Um... Is it you? "
Nope. The thing is, they don't release all of their games on a yearly basis. Some, yes, but that's mostly sports games. Skate has no game this year, nor will Medal of Honor. Battlefield is doing two separate series, last year with Bad Company 2, this year with BF3. SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. Need for Speed, I will concede on. But to assert that they're worse than Activision with annual releases...let me put it this way. There's a reason that Activision has been canning sequels and firing people left and right as of late.
#75 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" @wickedsc3 said:
" @Mordukai said:
Couldn't agree more.  Tried the MP for about 20 minutes and it sucked, i mean it was refreshing that they tried to do a different take on it but still it fell way short.   Now the single player is awesome!!  "
Isn't Dead Space 2 selling well?  If anything, this will push them to do more multiplayer stuff. "
People are not buying it for the MP and EA knows that. The MP was put on because people complained when the first game didn't have any. Dead Space 2 would have benefited better from a 'Horde" like mode. I am really surprised the game didn't ship with that mode in it. Unless EA are planning to use that as a money making things later on.
#76 Posted by FreakAche (2955 posts) -

Too bad. Mirror's Edge 1 was actually pretty good.

#77 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -
@Mordukai: I think it's too far reaching to say that EA knows multiplayer is irrelevant to Dead Space 2's success.  My personal experience with the corporate world is that if facts cannot translate into numbers for Excel to calculate, it's not brought up in the meeting.
#78 Posted by Mattxx (45 posts) -

A bummer indeed. Mirror's Edge had a ton of charm, there's nothing really like it.

#79 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@GreggD said:
" SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. . "
I am actually in tears at this. It looks nothing like the SSX I knew. Stripping the series' heart and soul out is definitely a good move, right?

I'm almost inclined to say that it'd be worse than SSX Blur, but I'm going to reserve my judgment until reviews come out.
#80 Posted by MikkaQ (10326 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @FrankCanada97 said:
" @Mordukai said:
" Well you know...If DICE had put the game through proper QA then a lot of issues would have been resolved. Mirror's Edge was a nice refreshing new IP that had charm but was plagued with some really odd design choices. As far as I'm concern EA is in the right.   And again EA seems to think that MP=Longevity. That's ok Dead Space 2 is going to teach them a harsh lesson why MP  doesn't need to be in every freaking game.  "
Why wouldn't they? Battlefield 2 was one of their best selling games and people are still playing it. "
In FPS maybe. Only good MP adds longevity. Go look at the numbers and see which MP are being played on xbl and psn. Not every game needs MP. As proven by the first game which still has a strong community with no MP. "
I don't think EA cares whether everyone ends up playing the multiplayer or not. It's something they can add to a game at a (relatively) low cost to EA, since they can outsource development easily. It adds a value to the game that could attract someone on the fence into buying it. Whether they play it much or not isn't a big deal, they've already payed the 60 bucks. EA saying every game needs MP is.... something only really feasible for companies like EA and Activision, but if they can afford it, why not? It doesn't make the game cost any more, and since most of it is outsourced, it doesn't take up time from the proper developers of that game. So it's not exactly harming anyone. I agree the MP in Dead Space 2 is unnecessary, but hey there's this great single player game for us to enjoy. 
#81 Posted by momosauky1 (148 posts) -

i really reaally wanted them to pull an assassin creed with this game, take all the potential from the first game and make it amazing in the sequel. 

#82 Posted by GreggD (4509 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @GreggD said:
" SSX is getting a new release this year, but that game has been out of the cycle since the end of last generation. . "
I am actually in tears at this. It looks nothing like the SSX I knew. Stripping the series' heart and soul out is definitely a good move, right?  I'm almost inclined to say that it'd be worse than SSX Blur, but I'm going to reserve my judgment until reviews come out. "
All I care about is if it features the old characters (which it does), big airs and ridiculous speed (which it allegedly does), natural events of destruction like avalanches (check), and a kickass soundtrack (Blackbox is known for their great licensed soundtracks). It hits all of my wants, so here's hoping the game is worth playing.
#83 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@GreggD: I guess we'll see. SSX 3 is one of my favourite games of all time, and SSX Tricky comes pretty damn close to that mark too. I saved myself from the blasphemy that was On Tour, but was disappointed at how Blur was a cartoonified remake of 3. I hope Deadly Descents pays off.
#84 Posted by GreggD (4509 posts) -
@Aus_azn: You and me both, buddy.
#85 Posted by RedRoach (1206 posts) -

Well this really sucks. Games like Mirror's Edge and Prototype deserve to get a sequel more than another Halo game. Yes i love my sequels and I'm not saying they should stop making Uncharted games or anything. But the games are so full of potential and with a second chance you could really make a classic, But sadly it's an industry and Publishers don't like to take big risks with their money usually.

#86 Posted by chrissedoff (2157 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
" http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-14-report-ea-rejects-mirrors-edge-2-pitch      Kind of a bummer. Mirror's Edge had some great potential. Some improvements with the combat and it would've been fantastic. Oh well, at least they're not completely abandoning it, which gives some hope.  Also, couldn't come up with a better title. Lazy. "
elimination of the combat from the game would have been fantastic
#87 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

I never got around to finishing the first game but I thought it was pretty good. That dude's reasoning for rejecting it is utter shit. "No multiplayer", really?

#88 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Worst news ever. I was really looking forward to the inevitable sequel that apparently wasn't so inevitable. 

God damn it, great start to my day.

#89 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -

damn i really liked the first mirrors edge. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.