Mirrors Edge 2 - New Info

• 74 results
#1 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -

Found this on the GT forums,gotta give credit to the guy that posted this there NCloud:

According to the November 2011 edition of Xbox World magazine, Mirror's Edge 2 is reportedly in development over at DICE, with the parkour title set to utilize the stunningly beautiful FrostBite 2 engine - ensuring that jaws everywhere will drop when EA eventually makes the highly anticipated announcement, likely to be at the Spike VGA Awards 2011.

Fans of the under-rated series have been clambering for news on a potential sequel and will be glad to know that a second iteration in the gorgeous series is confirmed as in development - with the multiplatform title gearing up for a release in late 2012. Check out the rumour below and in the latest issue of Xbox World magazine, available now.

"Better news for anyone who likes beautiful worlds and okay-ish parkour is Mirror's Edge 2, which DICE and EA have all but confirmed, and which will run on DICE's eye-destroying Frostbite 2 engine."

Source  

Are you guys excited or did you not care much for the first game?Personally I cannot wait because I loved the first Mirror's Edge.Sure it had some missteps but it was a very solid first entry and you could tell that EA was trying to create something very special and unique and that they were very passionate about it.I'm stoked to see a first trailer or gameplay video for it  and it'll be a day one buy for me no doubt.
#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is one of if not my favorite games this generation. I still boot it up from time to time and play it and the soundtrack is on my iPod. I would go as far to say I would read a Mirror's Edge book. This news has made me very happy.

#3 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

Excellent news. I echo the positive vibes already present in this thread.

#4 Posted by MiniPato (2727 posts) -

While I don't share the love and enthusiasm as most fans of Mirror's Edge, I still enjoyed it and the design of the world. It's a game I felt deserved a second chance, a chance to iron out whatever issues it had because it was such an experimental concept.

#5 Posted by Daiphyer (1332 posts) -

I was so excited when I first got the first Mirror's Edge I remember screaming like a girl, which then woke up my dad. 
I wonder if I can top my scream this time.

#6 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4659 posts) -

If they can get the freedom of movement and sense of speed down right, then Mirror's Edge 2 should be the best escape and evasion game ever.  

If not, well, it'll still be really good.

#7 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
Mirror's Edge is one of if not my favorite games this generation. I still boot it up from time to time and play it and the soundtrack is on my iPod. I would go as far to say I would read a Mirror's Edge book. This news has made me very happy.
Actually there is a Mirror's Edge comic(I think it was issue #0).I got it for free on the PSP that I bought yesterday but I don't know if there's a physical version and unfortunately I don't think you can buy comics from the PS3 or 360 online stores(not that I know of anyway).
#8 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -
@popmasterruler That sounds cool but I'm not into comic books at all, I find them boring. Now if they made a book about how the city became the way it is with some shady politics behind it and how the runners got started than I would be interested. I'm a sucker for video game books, currently reading the Dead Space one and having a good time.
#9 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

I really liked the first Mirror's Edge and I've been waiting for a sequel ever since, so this is good news :)

#10 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

We knew that awhile ago that ME2 would be using Frostbite 2.0

#11 Posted by JCTango (1360 posts) -

I definitely cannot wait for Mirror's Edge 2 to come out.. I hope they do that game some justice!

#12 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

I love Mirrors's Edge, I still think it's the game with the most beautiful artstyle I've ever seen coupled with some amazing gameplay concepts

Played the first one like 5 times and a sequel is necessary so we can get some improvements, like a longer singleplayer, better more developed story and maybe a multiplayer mode and level creation

Also it's great news that it isn't using the Unreal Engine again

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Eye-destroying makes it sound like the worst engine in the world

#14 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Any mirrors edge news is good mirrors edge news in my book.

#15 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

Heeeeell yesss! More parkour and less gunplay and it will be perfect.

#16 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5408 posts) -

I would love to see how they improve/fix things. I had fun with Mirror's Edge, but it did have a lot of issues that held it back.

#17 Edited by ProfessorEss (7307 posts) -

Mirror's Edge is in a weird spot from my perspective. 

Everyone I know played it and enjoyed it.  
No one I know actually payed full price for it.
And no one I know enjoyed it enough to pay full price for a sequel, save some significant improvements.

#18 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

day 1 purchase

#19 Posted by popmasterruler (575 posts) -
@Venatio said:
I love Mirrors's Edge, I still think it's the game with the most beautiful artstyle I've ever seen coupled with some amazing gameplay concepts  Played the first one like 5 times and a sequel is necessary so we can get some improvements, like a longer singleplayer, better more developed story and maybe a multiplayer mode and level creation  Also it's great news that it isn't using the Unreal Engine again

I actually thought they did a really job with the Unreal Engine but yeah I'm glad to hear that they are using their own for the sequel.
#20 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
I too enjoyed Mirror's Edge immensely. I really do hope this is true and that a squeal is in deed on the way.
#21 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

as always, sceptical of any mirror's edge info, but i would like for this very much to happen. i want mirror's edge 2 ;_;

#22 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

I loved Mirror's Edge and am eager for a sequel but this is old news.

#23 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

long as they change the trial-by-death feel, make it more outdoors-y and better the story than I'm all for it

#24 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

I love the idea of mirrors edge and what they were trying to do but it just had too many problems to keep me playing. I got about 2 hours in and gave up. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. I'll go back though since I loved what it was trying to be.

#25 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

I've wanted a sequel to this game for a long time, and was suspecting this ever since I heard they were using some of the things from that game in Battlefield 3, and I'm glad to see I was right! This is very good news! I will have to keep an eye out for the formal announcement!

#26 Posted by Aetheldod (3541 posts) -

I really like Mirror´s Edge so I can´t wait for a second one

#27 Posted by SpacePenguin (476 posts) -

I really wanted a sequel. 
 I hope this is true :D

#28 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

I'm pretty sure my opinion = Ryan's Video Review when it comes to Mirror's Edge.

I wanted to love it, but I merely liked it...a little.

If they're able fix the issues I had with the first game, then I am so all over it. I really, really, really hope that it's good.

#29 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

WooooooOOOOoooo!

I just played it through for my 3rdish time, and man was that game fucking annoying at how good it should have been!

So many completely sideways design choices, but I loved the good parts so friggin much.

#30 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2355 posts) -

I'm glad this is happening. Mirror's Edge had problems, but I enjoyed running around in that world and I'd enjoy it even more in BF3's engine.

I just hope they don't do something retarded, like making the protagonist a neck-tattoo dude instead of Faith. Or having those cartoon cutscenes again.

#31 Posted by JCTango (1360 posts) -
@SaturdayNightSpecials said:

I just hope they don't do something retarded, like making the protagonist a neck-tattoo dude instead of Faith.

I agree!  Faith has to be one of my all-time favourite game characters of all time xD.
#32 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I really enjoyed the original, and want to play a sequel. I really hope the game retains the style of the original. I loved the simplicity of the environments.
#33 Posted by ShaggE (6399 posts) -

So excited! I hope beyond hope that they listened to feedback on the first game. Mirror's Edge is so close to being a modern classic... it just needs a few tweaks to get there.

#34 Posted by Droop (1845 posts) -

I freaking love Mirror's Edge! I even made my dad paint some of the paintings in the game and hung them on my wall.

#35 Posted by Solemn (278 posts) -

I can't imagine how unreal this thing will look like with Frostbite 2.

#36 Posted by Moonshadow101 (559 posts) -

<3 <3 <3

Today is a good day.

#37 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -

I enjoyed Mirror's Edge, so I'll definitely want to check out ME2. Good news.

#38 Posted by Willin (1280 posts) -

This thread just reminded me that the Spike VGAs are happening again this year. :(

#39 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I really enjoyed Mirror's Edge, though I have yet to finish it.  I bought it mid-summer and I'm probably half-way through or so, and I'm kind of stuck on a part.

#40 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Loved Mirror's Edge. One of my favorite games this gen. Will happily play more if they release a sequel.

#41 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

FINALLY!

#42 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

Yes I really enjoyed that game glad its getting another one.

#43 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Awesome! Now just completely remove the combat and boss battles. Just make it all about quick disarming techniques and the sequel will be perfect.

#44 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

I like the idea of Mirror's Edge more than the actual game. Love the soundtrack which I listen to occasionally and in the sequel I'd love to see them remove the thing I didn't like in the first game, like the COMBAT.

#45 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I still think it's way better than most people gave it credit for. It wasn't perfect, some of the control stuff could be a touch frustrating to figure out (there were a couple times that I just totally lost the timing for rolling after a fall at one particular part and was stuck for 5 minutes till I got it again and then went on to do fine), but other than that, it was a pretty cool game. If they manage to make it more open and not quite so linear, it has a lot of potential. And a better engine is of course always appreciated :D

@popmasterruler:it looks ok, but whenever you got kinda close to anything, especially the global illumination, it just looked super low res and shitty, unfortunately. I don't know if it was better on PC but I seem to remember there not being much difference beyond PhysX.

#46 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I would play and be happy with Mirror's Edge: We Made More Levels For The First One!, but they are actually saying that they screwed some stuff up and how they are going to try and make a much better game, so it's hard for me to not be excited.

#47 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

I really like Mirror's Edge, especially the graphics, but some of the surrounding parts didn't really hold up.

Hopefully they can get those flaws ironed out for the sequel and it will be a great game. Either way, I'm happy with just more of that artstyle.

Open world multiplayer could be really cool, just seeing someone and starting a game of tag or something on the fly.

#48 Posted by ikwal (225 posts) -

Mirror's Edge had it's problems but at least it was original and I think the series has potential to grow into something fantastic. Similar to how Assassins Creed went from an interesting game to a game of the year material game in the sequal.

#49 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

I can't remember the last game that frustrated me as much as Mirror's Edge did. I wanted to like it, I really did. But... It was such a painful experience. So I'm not sure if I'm excited for the sequel.

#50 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

They need to have less combat and less puzzles, I kind of just want to go as fast as I can without stopping, Sonic style.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.