Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mirror's Edge

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2008

In a futuristic totalitarian dystopia, a master courier (in a group of renegade "runners") investigates a conspiracy, while outrunning the deadly government military, in this parkour-inspired first-person action game.

I now understand the hate for Mirror's Edge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

I always saw Mirror's Edge and thought the concept was great because I really enjoyed when Dark Messiah did a parkour type level where you ran across rooftops chasing a Goblin. However actually playing Mirror's Edge which is beautiful btw, infact it is the best looking game of 2008 and glad it isn't all greys and browns too. Anyways actually playing the game I just found myself frustrated because Mirror's Edge is fun when it is flowing but there are too many hard bits that I had to keep doing over and over again. The problem was the game makes the illusion that you are free so I was trying to go my own way by breaking through glass or trying to tackle the guards but more iften than not I had to follow this direct route the game made me. Also the controls were abit akward and took alot of getting used too, like me trying to hold down shift to sprint and ending up sliding off a building lol.  There seemed to be alot of timing issues in the combat too and the melee seemed off and yeah reviewers were right if you're gonna put guns in there game then make them a proper feature instead of having two mediocre features like in Fallout 3 with VATS and that "real time" combat if you can even call it that. I also thought the story was crap and wish'd that they kept you immersed and in game because they make so much effort to do so and then you're given these horribly animated scenes with a bad script n story.

I just feel like if Valve made it then they would have done a Portal on it because Valve have this fantasic way like Hideo Kojima to make games easy and fun for everyone but then feel really satisfying for everyone at the same time. I feel like with a new concept like Mirror's Edge they should ahve done a Portal and made the game easy, like a big tutorial and then upped the difficulty for the next game. I'm not complaining about hard games or anything but Mirror's Edge works best when it is flowing and there are too many bits I got frustrated having to do them over and over again.

What a beautiful game though and specially on the PC it looks better than Crysis!

Avatar image for gobiasindustries
    GobiasIndustries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By GobiasIndustries

I actually liked the game somewhat and thought it was totally worth a play through. But I agree with your main points that it had the illusion of being more free, so sometimes game mechanics that it told me I could do before just wouldn't work because I wasn't doing them in the right place. Also, I agree that there were too many parts that just totally interrupted the flow and made me lose all the adrenaline and fun I was having.  Combat doesn't need to be discussed anymore, it is pretty poor.

But, for all its problems, I think some of the most awesome moments in that game made me like it overall. I think they should definitely try to keep going with the idea, because sometimes it worked really well.

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DXSSI

I think one of the biggest problems in Mirror's Edge is the lack of a compass.  Too often I'm told to go to a specific point like the __________ Building, but I'm in a fictional city and I don't know where anything is, so I just follow what seems to be "the" path.  Really, ME should be more of a sandbox-style game, not in the sense that you have to run around and find missions, but in the sense that everything is one breathing, living city, so you can learn where landmarks are and really—really—choose your own path.

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By tec3297

Idk what you are talking about, the game is awesome, end of story.

The only thing I had a problem with was the gunplay.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't like the game either.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crunchUK

eh nice idea poor execution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a turn around on the game because I kept playing and I slowly got better and better and then was able to play round the quirks of the controls and really started to like it. I even started to like the combat and while they are annoying and flawed I respect what they were trying to do with the combat, I like all that Melee The Bourne identity type stuff... just wish'd it was more like The Bourne identity lol.

I dunno for me though yeah the problems are still all there and the game can be very annoying and they need to fix some things for next time...

- Keep me in game to tell the story, no more dumb cartoons.
    - Fix the weird timing issues when grabbing onto some platforms and in combat.
    - Make the combat more The Bourne identity like and make it fun and pretty.
    - Give me more freedom to choose my path as the game makes you feel free and yet you're restricted down a linear path which is annoying.
    - Put in Multiplayer with a race mode where you can push eachother over.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Karmum
    crunchUK said:
    "eh nice idea poor execution"
    Since you have played it, right? Mirror's Edge did alot of things right, in my opinion, but had a few misses. I would have invested soooo much more time into it if it had a free-roam option, or a co-op free-roam mode.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Ain't it Beautiful!
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Karmum
    PapaLazarou said:
    "

[img]http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/1270/mirrorsedge200901242245sm7.jpg[/img]

"
    That doesn't work here, you need to upload it to the website or use the HTML link from ImageShack/PhotoBucket/Other hosting website. Once you grab that, click the Blue square "HTML" button.
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Kohe321

I agree that valve should have made it - they are not capable of producing a bad game. Not saying that mirrors edge is bad, but I agree with you, there are spots where it gets faaar too frustrating for it's own good. As you say, valve is really good at making games challenging but yet smooth and fun...

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Zripwud

Great game... I would add more moves and a more polished and solid story. But overall, nice game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

It definitely does not look better than Crysis...you're high if you think that.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Zripwud

Nothing looks better than Crysis... well... real life does. Real life has great textures!

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Mirrors Edge was freaking awesome. If I had to knit pick I would have gotten rid of the gun play and added branching paths in a more open world.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond

Too short, story sucked (in presentation, writing, and plot), 'grab' detection not as good as it should have been, the combat was very annoying.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Akeldama

i enjoyed it. It was a victim of its own marketing. They said the game was something it was not and we all got burned again. Granted, for what it was, i rather liked it. 

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I thought it was great, maybe a little on the short side, but still pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.