Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MLB 09: The Show

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 03, 2009

Return to The Show with Sony's latest and greatest entry in its long-running baseball series. Nothing gets you closer.

No VGA nomination for MLB 09?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Decided to vote for the VGAs today and found it odd that MLB 09: The Show didn't get a team sports nom. I initially thought they just based the nominations off of the metacritic scores, but I guess not. Only game that got better reviews was Fifa, with a 91 over MLB 09's 90 on the PS3.

I understand a lot of the GiantBomb community probably doesn't give a shit about the sports games that come out each year, but they still deserve recognition as a lot of people play them and enjoy them. And I find it odd when there is supposed to be an awards show that recognizes the best in the industry and the best are not recognized. 

The thing is awards can generate sales for games, so better deserving games should get that free marketing not lesser ones.  Sure, we get to vote on the games that win, but we should also get to vote on what games get nominated as just a nomination is a recognition in itself.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

the show is completely bullshit, and entirely biased against PS3. i know i sound like a fanboy, but its just the feeling i get from this years nominees. so many great GREAT PS3 exclusives got left out. 

Killzone 2 or Infamous 2 or MLB 09 etc etc don't get nominated for the big awards yet games like Assassins Creed 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 do??!?! 

fucking shit show. i dont know how the bombcast will try to defend it again this year. 

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrOldboy
    @TwoOneFive: well they defend it because it is hypothetically good for the industry. Each industry has an awards show, Academy Awards, Grammys, Tonys, but what makes the VGAs different is the marketing and that its the Spike TV VGA awards. For all we know nominations could have been bought, who knows? And having it before the year is over right before the hollidays doesn't help much either. Those nominations came out before The Saboteur came out, that could have been a great game, who knew?

But an awards show like this does not push the industry forward, its just a spectacle that makes the industry seem a little, childish. 

I dont know that its biased against the PS3, I just think more people play games on the 360, thats a fact, and that it is represented in an awards show fueled by marketing like this one is.

edit: also where is a category for writing, there's one for score and even music. But that is a joke, of course a rhythm game would have a better sound track than an action game. the only exception was Brutal Legend, but how often does a game center around a genre like that and not a rythym game?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @MrOldboy said:
    " @TwoOneFive: well they defend it because it is hypothetically good for the industry. Each industry has an awards show, Academy Awards, Grammys, Tonys, but what makes the VGAs different is the marketing and that its the Spike TV VGA awards. For all we know nominations could have been bought, who knows? And having it before the year is over right before the hollidays doesn't help much either. Those nominations came out before The Saboteur came out, that could have been a great game, who knew?  But an awards show like this does not push the industry forward, its just a spectacle that makes the industry seem a little, childish.   I dont know that its biased against the PS3, I just think more people play games on the 360, thats a fact, and that it is represented in an awards show fueled by marketing like this one is.  edit: also where is a category for writing, there's one for score and even music. But that is a joke, of course a rhythm game would have a better sound track than an action game. the only exception was Brutal Legend, but how often does a game center around a genre like that and not a rythym game? "
    i disagree. i think its bad for the industry. look at the game of the year nominees. general public deserves to see the very best the industry has to offer, instead they show them the games that sold the most- like you kind of mentioned.  its bullshit. not many people saw Hurt Locker but damn that was a kick ass movie and should certainly be nominated for an oscar and it most likely will be.  
    the only thing that will be good for this industry, as far as a televised game award show goes, is if they take it more serious and stop being like- like woah duuuuudes these were the dopest games of the yearrrrr. its basically the videogame equivalent of the mtv movie awards. a fuckin joke.  

MLB 09 The Show not being nominated is a huuuge joke. that game is outstanding. 
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

OH TwoOneFive and your conspiracy theories 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " the show is completely bullshit, and entirely biased against PS3. i know i sound like a fanboy, but its just the feeling i get from this years nominees. so many great GREAT PS3 exclusives got left out.  Killzone 2 or Infamous 2 or MLB 09 etc etc don't get nominated for the big awards yet games like Assassins Creed 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 do??!?!  fucking shit show. i dont know how the bombcast will try to defend it again this year.  "
    Infamous 2 is out already?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @TwoOneFive: Dood, Assassin's Creed 2 was fucking excellent though.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

Choices, choices, choices...

So hard to please everybody!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.