Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MLB 11: The Show

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

Sony's MLB franchise returns for the 2011 baseball season, with PlayStation Move and 3D support.

MLB 11: The Show- loads of New features+Brian Wilson's Beard

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive
    ESPN- MLB 11: The Show' First Look 

im just pissed Halladay wont be on the cover and its Mauer once again... the best should be on the best game cover! 

• ANALOG CONTROLS-  Just about everything can be controlled using the RIGHT ANALOG. They waited so long to implement it because they wanted to get it just right. The Show has been known for tight and precise controls, so I'm anxious to try this out myself. " What this means is for hitting, gamers pull back on the stick to start the batter's stride, then push forward to swing the bat. This is all about timing, since if you start your stride too early, pause, and then swing, your stride will be off and you'll lose power. Start your stride too late, and you're going to be behind on the ball when you finally swing. It takes a few innings to get used to, but by my second game, I hit a few homers and felt comfortable enough to start really enjoying the new approach." This includes a new pitching meter that will be much more sensitive to the slightest mistakes. The speed of the pitch depends on how fast you pull back and press forward with the stick. 

• CO-OP - So now you can play 2 vs 2, 1 vs 2, and 2 vs CPU. You can do this offline and ONLINE! But only 2 consoles online can play together, probably a lag issue. Each team's leader decides who plays what and when. Like pitching every other inning, who bats when or what specific player do you bat with. highly customizable its pretty awesome. playing this with a friend is the best. 

• Revamped Road to the Show - Basically they took out a lot of the stupid stuff like the dynamic goals. Now the game analyzes your players stats after every game and assigns training regimens for you to complete. Training is based on a leveling system kind of like Call of Duty. You'll start off at level 1 hitting, for example. Let's say you've been swinging at outside pitches during a game. Afterwards it will have you training by swinging at only strikes. At first you'll only see fastballs, but as you get better they'll throw in off-speed and breaking pitches as well. It's pretty neat! 

• Move Support - Only for the home-run derby mode. Which totally makes sense. Could be a lot of fun, and you know damn straight the controls are going to be super accurate. 

• 3D

• Camera Editor- you'll be able to customize exactly where YOU want the cameras during gameplay to be placed.  " There are even the exact broadcast views for every MLB team so you can play the game as your favorite team from the exact same viewpoint you watch them play for real. Amazing."

• New jumbotron stuff :)

•  Minor new hitting features include a "hitting for contact" option before the pitch is thrown. Its what it sounds like. You're going to take a huge power penalty for selecting this but if you simply want to try and advance a base runner by hitting whatever it is the pitcher throws at you then it may be worth it. Its a small feature but definitely cool. And there is also "true zone hitting." You can now direct where you swing the bat much more accurately by using a cursor. This feature is intended for the more advanced players who are looking for a little more control and precision. As with pitching, mastering the speed with the stick is key. pulling back and pushing up fast will result in a faster and more powerful swing.

• Eric Karros joining the booth alongside Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell

• Completely redesigned stadium-specific JumboTrons 

• Dynamic Rain and Cloud Coverage- it takes into account not only stadium location but also a wet field, which will now affect the on-field results. This includes the dynamic day-night timing seen in last years game. 1st inning could be bright out, but it could be dark and even raining by the 7th. And even rain delays can happen lol

• New Fake Throw system- enables fielders to fake like they're throwing the ball to a certain base in hopes of catching an aggressive runner on another base off guard (simply press throw twice to pull off the fake)."

• They're working hard to ensure online is the best it has ever been in terms of lag and such.

• Online new features include:
    • Flexible divisions (2,4, or 6)
    • Custom roster support for league play
    • Computer controlled teams to fill up a small league and make it up to 30 teams. This is for those who want a real league simulation but only have a handful of players. 
    • New XP system. Players get XP points for games- winner takes 75% and the loser takes 25%. This helps encourage players to not give up as they can still get something out of losing a lot of close games. Also, ranking is based on stats and wins and losses so somebody with a ton of XP may not necessarily be good.

• Graphical improvements players faces are all revamped and most of the animations have been updated. And ya know, expect a little more detail to the stadiums and such like always.  
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rentfn

I've enjoyed the show but I miss the days of MVP so much. I heard 2K is losing money like crazy so maybe the contract will run up and MVP will return.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#3  Edited By MightyDuck

The new RTTS Mode sounds interesting.

I really like the idea, but having to constantly put points into the different categories was somewhat annoying.  I couldn't make the player I wanted, because I constantly had to put points into other categories.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

They're only several years late on the analog control feature. That's cool though. The only reason I preferred the 2K games before was because of the cool batting and pitching controls.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t

MLB the show yessir

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.