Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

AA-12 to be overpowered

• 67 results
    Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Monopolized

Automatic Assault 12-Gauge Shotgun the "AA12" hopefully will be on a level playing feild with everything else, but a fully automatic not to mention accurate shotgun doesn't have much of a down side considering it also has a 
    32 round drum that can be attached to it    so unless this gun does little damage I see it being way over powered.

(AA-12 show up in the "Flagrunner"  as a weapon on the ground,

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By danguy

I don't think it's gonna be automatic. It is a great shotgun still even if it's semi.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Monopolized

yeah I guess..but then that kind of defeats the purpose of what it was actually made for ..it's an Automatic Shotgun..Automatic is in the name..

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Ish

They made the G3 semi-auto and the M16 use only 3 round bursts. Don't worry about it being OPed, IW usually knows how to balance a gun. 

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Lashe

Oh christ, would people stop worrying about the balance of the game and drawing their own conclusions? 

It's Infinity Ward, not Treyarch. 

It's not gonna be a patch on a rifle, some distance and a few rounds to the head, just like every other shotgun. I'm sure it'll be a great weapon for CQC if that's your thing.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

alrighty then

cdstacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cdstacker

You are complaining about balance for a game that isn't out yet.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

alrighty then

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Monopolized
    :@Lashe said:
    " Oh christ, would people stop worrying about the balance of the game and drawing their own conclusions? 

It's not gonna be a patch on a rifle, some distance and a few rounds to the head, just like every other shotgun. I'm sure it'll be a great weapon for CQC if that's your thing. "
    Sir I have 1 word..well not word..I am just going to say M16 most to over powered gun in modern warfare and yes I know it's not Treyarch but at least they made all the weapons suck just as much as each other
    Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Monopolized
    @cdstacker said:
    " You are complaining about balance for a game that isn't out yet. 

Is there a a point ? in there somewhere..did I miss it?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok
    @ConfusedSanity said:

" :@Lashe said:

" Oh christ, would people stop worrying about the balance of the game and drawing their own conclusions? 

It's not gonna be a patch on a rifle, some distance and a few rounds to the head, just like every other shotgun. I'm sure it'll be a great weapon for CQC if that's your thing. "
    Sir I have 1 word..well not word..I am just going to say M16 most to over powered gun in modern warfare and yes I know it's not Treyarch but at least they made all the weapons suck just as much as each other "
    That's because the M16, while unreliable and prone to jamming, is arguably one of the best assault rifles that exists when it works correctly.

Edit: Also, who cares if the shotgun is automatic or not? It's still just a shotgun.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ieatlions
    @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @cdstacker said:

"
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname
    @ieatlions said:
    " @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @cdstacker said:

"
    "
    Why did the topic creator quote this?
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @ieatlions said:
    " @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @cdstacker said:

"
    "
    Why did the topic creator quote this? "
    He accidently wrote his response inside the quote.  
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

Yea, you're right... a fully automatic shotgun has no downside at all.

Because ya know, shotguns don't have huge recoil or range limitations at all...

That's why all our soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan just use AA-12s, it's amazingly overpowered.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ineedaname
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " @ieatlions said:
    " @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @cdstacker said:

"
    "
    Why did the topic creator quote this? "
    He accidently wrote his response inside the quote.   "
    Oh I assumed the person was commenting on the original post. That would make more sense but make the TC seem more...............
    Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Monopolized
    @PureRok said:
    " @ConfusedSanity said:

" :@Lashe said:

Sir I have 1 word..well not word..I am just going to say M16 most to over powered gun in modern warfare and yes I know it's not Treyarch but at least they made all the weapons suck just as much as each other "
    That's because the M16, while unreliable and prone to jamming, is arguably one of the best assault rifles that exists when it works correctly.  Edit: Also, who cares if the shotgun is automatic or not? It's still just a shotgun. "
    AR-15 Actually.
    innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By innacces14

Just posting for people who are curious about what an AA-12 Shotgun is. 

brando711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brando711

its like a fucking assault rifle
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187
    @Lashe said:

Wait, World at War sucked?  I must've missed that somewhere.  The vehicle maps suck...and I'm not fond of the campaign, but it doesn't suck.  The guns are plenty balanced in that game, but you have to realize that they are WWII weaponry...and most people playing that game are using those weapons incorrectly anyways.
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By najaf

It always makes me chuckle a little bit when the topic of shotguns being overpowered in games comes up. It would seem that a majority of developers believe this to be the case as well when they make the shot disappear within five yards. The question I always like to pose to those that argue that an accurate representation of a shotgun in a game would be unbalanced is this: If it is such a great weapon, why don't the majority of soldiers carry them in the real world? 

The fact is that a shotgun with 00 buck will create a lethal wound up to about twenty five yards. Beyond that, the shot spreads to much and only a few pellets will actually strike the target. Up close, within ten yards, the shotgun is the most lethal weapon in the world. Getting hit in the real world with one round of 00 buck at ten yards is the ballistic equivalent of getting hit nine times by an MP5 submachine gun (9mm). 

The reason that only one soldier in a typical infantry squad of eight will carry a shotgun (or shotgun attachment) is because they are simply poor in firefights. Not only do they lack the range versatility of an assault rifle, but they also are slow to engage multiple targets quickly. Even a semi auto will have a recoil that requires a bit longer to put back on target than a piston or gas operated rifle. They are poor in CQB due to the spread of shot even at close range and their poor reload speeds. Friendly or civilian casualties are of concern here with the spread of shot. This is why a majority of SWAT and even SOCOM forces today prefer a PDW (personal defense weapon) style assault rifle (chopped down in length) or submachine gun for close engagements. 

The bottom line is that a shotgun excels at very close ranges when engaging single targets. But a shotgun will lose a moderate distance encounter every time and will be overwhelmed close up if facing multiple foes. Even full auto room clearing shotguns have a very narrow use. One can simply not use them in a mixed hostile environment (where there are friendly forces or bystanders). 

Games with shotguns in multiplayer can realistically represent shotguns by enabling three things; friendly fire, realistic reload times and realistic recoil. The shotgun is an amazingly powerful weapon whose downsides come only from a limited viability in specific scenarios.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Monopolized
    @Najaf said:
    " It always makes me chuckle a little bit when the topic of shotguns being overpowered in games comes up. It would seem that a majority of developers believe this to be the case as well when they make the shot disappear within five yards. The question I always like to pose to those that argue that an accurate representation of a shotgun in a game would be unbalanced is this: If it is such a great weapon, why don't the majority of soldiers carry them in the real world?  The fact is that a shotgun with 00 buck will create a lethal wound up to about twenty five yards. Beyond that, the shot spreads to much and only a few pellets will actually strike the target. Up close, within ten yards, the shotgun is the most lethal weapon in the world. Getting hit in the real world with one round of 00 buck at ten yards is the ballistic equivalent of getting hit nine times by an MP5 submachine gun (9mm).  The reason that only one soldier in a typical infantry squad of eight will carry a shotgun (or shotgun attachment) is because they are simply poor in firefights. Not only do they lack the range versatility of an assault rifle, but they also are slow to engage multiple targets quickly. Even a semi auto will have a recoil that requires a bit longer to put back on target than a piston or gas operated rifle. They are poor in CQB due to the spread of shot even at close range and their poor reload speeds. Friendly or civilian casualties are of concern here with the spread of shot. This is why a majority of SWAT and even SOCOM forces today prefer a PDW (personal defense weapon) style assault rifle (chopped down in length) or submachine gun for close engagements.  The bottom line is that a shotgun excels at very close ranges when engaging single targets. But a shotgun will lose a moderate distance encounter every time and will be overwhelmed close up if facing multiple foes. Even full auto room clearing shotguns have a very narrow use. One can simply not use them in a mixed hostile environment (where there are friendly forces or bystanders).  Games with shotguns in multiplayer can realistically represent shotguns by enabling three things; friendly fire, realistic reload times and realistic recoil. The shotgun is an amazingly powerful weapon whose downsides come only from a limited viability in specific scenarios. "
    The  AA-12 is accurate to 100 Yards.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Akeldama
    @cdstacker said:
    " You are complaining about balance for a game that isn't out yet. "
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By najaf
    @ConfusedSanity:  No, the fin stabilized grenade rounds are accurate to 100 yards. These can be fired from any twelve guage shotgun. Slugs out of a rifled shotgun barrel go much further than shot (pellets) as well. Basically a slug is a really large bullet sometimes used for breaching or large game in hunting.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @ConfusedSanity said:
    The  AA-12 is accurate to 100 Yards. "
    The problem here is that you assume Infinity Ward will base the weapon's performance on how it is in the real world. I'm pretty sure that the shotguns featured in COD 4 don't have a 5 meter range before becoming completely worthless in real life.

Oh, and @cdstacker said:
    " You are complaining about balance for a game that isn't out yet. "
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive

i just hope they make it impossible to kill the other team the second a round starts by using a grenade launcher. it practically RUINED Hardcore S&D

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Lashe said:

Wait, World at War sucked?  I must've missed that somewhere.  The vehicle maps suck...and I'm not fond of the campaign, but it doesn't suck.  The guns are plenty balanced in that game, but you have to realize that they are WWII weaponry...and most people playing that game are using those weapons incorrectly anyways. "
    okay think about what you just said.  
    if you are a developer and your game is being played incorrently by most of the gamers, you did something wrong.  
    also, the one thing that makes that game suck is the spawning. its so bad.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

I find it crazy that the game is not even out, yet some are still speculating on what's over powered, simply because of the real-life versions of these guns. 

Modern Warfare 2 is a videogame, not a gun simulator for gun totting rednecks. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Hamz

Shotguns rarely, if ever, played a large role in the COD4 multiplayer from my experience. The big issue has always been the P90 and Mini Uzi users who simply whizz past other players with a spray of deadly lead racking up a nice kill streak. I say fear the SMG's in MW2 more than the automatic shotgun(s).

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I find it crazy that the game is not even out, yet some are still speculating on what's over powered, simply because of the real-life versions of these guns.   Modern Warfare 2 is a videogame, not a gun simulator for gun totting rednecks.   ... "
    Exactly...it makes no sense whatsoever to even think for a second this is going to be anything else but just another shotgun. The shotguns in MW 1 didnt do shit after you got out of extremely close range, which is definitely not accurate to real life in any possible way. Its for balance..they will do the same to this one. There is no reason for anyone to assume just because a gun is great in real life and its going into the game its going to be extremely overpowered, none whatsoever. Also...yeah, the game isnt even out yet.
    Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lashe
    @jakob187: In all honesty, I don't mind COD:WAW. Compared to the bucket loads of 'bad' shooters - I'm looking at you, Frontlines - WAW is a great game. Even compared to CoD2, WAW is pretty good. But I think I was commenting more on the balance of the game as a whole, and the vehicles offset that significantly enough for me to hate a good 40% of that game and unfortunately, it's the things you hate which stick out at you so I was probably pretty harsh in my original post. But out with the weapons, maps were balanced (at least initially) horribly, with spawn points which had no reaction to enemy locations, etc, and so it was easy to spawnkill -- these issues very probably have been ironed out, hence my reluctancy to use the present tense. 

I stick by the premise behind my statement though, IW do a far better of balancing than Treyarch.
    SilentMike485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SilentMike485

*sigh*....It's a shotgun of course it's overpowered.  Actually no, it'll be powered just as an automatic shotgun would be, get over it and adapt.  IMO the game's not about "balance", it's about adapting to the situation.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen balance in a multi-player game since fucking board games (& UNO).  Just learn to adapt.  That's why you're given multiple classes to work with.

produceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By produceman

every shotgun has a flaw and its called range it cant fire as accurate as an assult rifle with a nice big scope or a sniper so im agreeing with SilentMike its matter of what kind of situation you put yourself in
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By choffy21

If you know how to use a shotgun in Call of Duty 4, then you can easily kill someone from 30 yards away consistently; my friend absolutely tears people up with his shotgun. A semi-automatic shotgun with little-to-no recoil and can hold 32 rounds sounds bad.

Of course it's going to be nerfed to hell, and it has to unless they want to break the game, but it's still something that is potentially worrying.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RsistncE

Seems to me that most people here don't realize that:

REAL LIFE =/= VIDEO GAMES

Why do you people keep using real life examples of how the weapons are to defend the in game representations? There's only about 1 or 2 games out there that actually strive for the gun to look, "feel" and operate similarily to the real counterparts and MW2 definitely isn't one of them. Honestly people, wtf.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dbz1995
    @Lashe said:

...Metal Gear?

Also, this guy speaks sense.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innacces14 said:
    "
    Just posting for people who are curious about what an AA-12 Shotgun is. 

"
    Holy fucking jesus, now thats a gun.
    LosDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By LosDub

i could care less about if one gun is overpowering over another or stuff isnt balanced in MW2

im just happy they have found a way to stop the losers who use the modded controllers in the game
    Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39  Edited By Ishoturface
    @The_Ish said:
    "They made the G3 semi-auto and the M16 use only 3 round bursts. Don't worry about it being OPed, IW usually knows how to balance a gun.  "

maybe there will be different firing modes? since the AA-12 can also fire grenades
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

it won't be overpowered. the only time the shotgun is good is when it's up close. just because it's good in real life it doesn't mean it will be good in a video game. the shotgun spreads when it's shot so it won't be as great in long distance. 

another thing is that it's not even out yet. u still have about 2 months for the game to come out.

Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41  Edited By Ishoturface
    @iam3green said:
    "it won't be overpowered. the only time the shotgun is good is when it's up close. just because it's good in real life it doesn't mean it will be good in a video game. the shotgun spreads when it's shot so it won't be as great in long distance.   another thing is that it's not even out yet. u still have about 2 months for the game to come out. "

unless they use slugs
    Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vitefish

Why does this gun remind me of RE4's Striker?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bicycleham

I guess every game has to be fair now. Let's get rid of all of the over powered guns and just give everyone a nice beretta. Or better yet this:

No Caption Provided
    You can't really tell if it's going to be overpowered or not. The person using the AA-12 in the gameplay videos probably just has good aim. And besides there are plenty of things to counter-act it like the riot shield, the grenades or faster reflexes.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JoelTGM

but rememer you get secondary weapons, so anyone could carry a shotgun if they wanted, along with their normal assault rifle or w/e.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Scooper

COD2's shotgun was overpowered. COD4's shotguns were underpowered. I'm willing to assume they've got it about right in MW2.
    I don't really care much since I don't use shotguns.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bicycleham
    @Scooper said:
    " COD2's shotgun was overpowered. COD4's shotguns were underpowered. I'm willing to assume they've got it about right in MW2. I don't really care much since I don't use shotguns. "
    Now they're underly overpowered.
    najaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By najaf
    @Ishoturface: Just FYI, every 12 gauge shotgun in the world can fire the grenade rounds seen in that video. If you can stuff it into the casing (shot, slugs, grenades, bean bags, rubber pellets, pepper grounds), you can shoot it from a shotgun.
    DRE7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DRE7777

Dude there is no way a shotgun will be overpowered because 1. shotguns suck 2. shotguns suck and 3. shotguns suck
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By calidan777
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I find it crazy that the game is not even out, yet some are still speculating on what's over powered, simply because of the real-life versions of these guns.   Modern Warfare 2 is a videogame, not a gun simulator for gun totting rednecks.   ... "
    Gun totting rednecks? I own plenty of guns but I'm not a redneck.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PercyChuggs
    @calidan777 said:
    " @Linkyshinks said:
    Gun totting rednecks? I own plenty of guns but I'm not a redneck. "
    You own guns? You must be some moronic, bible thumping hillbilly Bush voter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.