Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Activision Not Changing Modern Warfare 2 Title After All?

• 100 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Well, in the wake of Modern Warfare 2 boxart showing up earlier today, everyone is straight-up flipping out over the presence of the Call of Duty name on the box. But can we safely assume that this means the official game name is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2? I'm going to say "probably not." 

Here's the official statement from an Activision spokesperson, which has been going around for the past hour or two:

Infinity Ward’s  Modern Warfare 2 is the direct sequel to  Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  We have focused our attention on  Modern Warfare in order to most effectively communicate the fact that this is the first true sequel in the  Call of Duty series.   Infinity Ward, the original creators of the  Call of Duty franchise, has said from the beginning  Modern Warfare 2 resides in the  Call of Duty universe.  This is reflected in the title’s package.

The whole "first true sequel" thing isn't new, it's the same line Activision's been giving out all along when it comes to all this name stuff. But notice that the statement refers to the game as simply "Modern Warfare 2" on multiple occasions. It doesn't seem like the company is interested in answering the "HEY SERIOUSLY WHAT IS YOUR GAME CALLED" question directly (which is roughly what we asked them), but between the boldness (theirs) of the game's title, the lack of the COD prefix, and the specific reference to it being reflected "in the title's package," it doesn't seem like the name of the game has actually changed at all.

It's not surprising that the game doesn't have as much name recognition without the Call of Duty brand on it, and it's been pretty obvious that Activision was going to have to slap the COD logo somewhere on this box if only to make the connection between casual game buyer who walks in and says "GIVE ME NEW CALL OF DUTY" and confused Wal-Mart clerk a bit easier to complete. I just figured it'd be separated from the game name a bit more, like in a "FROM THE MAKERS OF CALL OF DUTY" bubble in the upper-right or something. Maybe that'll just end up being a sticker slapped on over the plastic wrap or something...

So, in short, we're not changing the name of our game page to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Because until we hear something directly to the contrary, I'm pretty sure that nothing actually changed today.

Also, while we're on the topic, notice anything else funny about the box art? Like, notice anything missing?

If you said "oh, hey, there's no Activision logo," then you win! Kind of weird, right? Like nearly all of the company's other releases, the COD4 box showed both the Activision and the Infinity Ward logos.

No Caption Provided

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

Well, in the wake of Modern Warfare 2 boxart showing up earlier today, everyone is straight-up flipping out over the presence of the Call of Duty name on the box. But can we safely assume that this means the official game name is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2? I'm going to say "probably not." 

Here's the official statement from an Activision spokesperson, which has been going around for the past hour or two:

Infinity Ward’s  Modern Warfare 2 is the direct sequel to  Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.  We have focused our attention on  Modern Warfare in order to most effectively communicate the fact that this is the first true sequel in the  Call of Duty series.   Infinity Ward, the original creators of the  Call of Duty franchise, has said from the beginning  Modern Warfare 2 resides in the  Call of Duty universe.  This is reflected in the title’s package.

The whole "first true sequel" thing isn't new, it's the same line Activision's been giving out all along when it comes to all this name stuff. But notice that the statement refers to the game as simply "Modern Warfare 2" on multiple occasions. It doesn't seem like the company is interested in answering the "HEY SERIOUSLY WHAT IS YOUR GAME CALLED" question directly (which is roughly what we asked them), but between the boldness (theirs) of the game's title, the lack of the COD prefix, and the specific reference to it being reflected "in the title's package," it doesn't seem like the name of the game has actually changed at all.

It's not surprising that the game doesn't have as much name recognition without the Call of Duty brand on it, and it's been pretty obvious that Activision was going to have to slap the COD logo somewhere on this box if only to make the connection between casual game buyer who walks in and says "GIVE ME NEW CALL OF DUTY" and confused Wal-Mart clerk a bit easier to complete. I just figured it'd be separated from the game name a bit more, like in a "FROM THE MAKERS OF CALL OF DUTY" bubble in the upper-right or something. Maybe that'll just end up being a sticker slapped on over the plastic wrap or something...

So, in short, we're not changing the name of our game page to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Because until we hear something directly to the contrary, I'm pretty sure that nothing actually changed today.

Also, while we're on the topic, notice anything else funny about the box art? Like, notice anything missing?

If you said "oh, hey, there's no Activision logo," then you win! Kind of weird, right? Like nearly all of the company's other releases, the COD4 box showed both the Activision and the Infinity Ward logos.

No Caption Provided

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Is this like... a slow news day or something?

It's a name on a box, folks... jeez.

I am sorry Jeff Gerstmann, but I would not say that "everyone is straight-up flipping out over the presence of the Call of Duty name on the box." That uh, that seems a bit of an exaggeration to say, sir.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @Delta_Ass: I understand it is just a name, but the game is kind of a big deal to some. And this whole thing is sort of weird.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

you live up to your name delta 

Also, jeff - am i alone in thinking for a second that there was gonna be a second picture where he removed his thumb and there was either activisions- or even another companies name under there?

It just seems to me like his thumb is in a real odd place- ah well, probably reading too much into it
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By TheHBK

I like no activision on the logo, of course they might still be working the whole art thing out, didn't see a ESRB bost either.
    They should label it correctly I suppose.  Just call it Modern Warfare 2, then on the box, it would say a Call of Duty experience, kinda like Tim Schaefer's box.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Bigandtasty

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim: Video Game Edition

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By KingOfIceland

It's probably just something Bowling threw together quickly and only added the IW logo on the final box art. That probably why there's no ESRB/PEGI logo on there or because this games out in late november and it's the middle of goddamn july.

Aeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Aeon

Maybe the Activion logo is beneath his Thumb... i know i would put it there :P

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9  Edited By delta_ass
    @Aeon said:
    " Maybe the Activion logo is beneath his Thumb... i know i would put it there :P "

That's it. This whole thing is just a riff off of an old Flintstones episode! Remember, the one where Barney and Fred go fishing and Fred catches a prehistoric whale or something? But when Barney goes to take the photo, his thumb covers up the whale? That's probably what this is! Oh Infinity Ward, you true connisseurs of classic animation!
    spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By spiceninja

Activision and the ESRB rating isn't on the box yet. So by the time that happens "Call of Duty" could very well be removed.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I'm thinking that's not really the final box-art, there's no ESRB on it either. The image is probably going to stay the same, but I would assume the ESRB and Activision want to be on the cover.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Cheapoz

IW says to Activision "let us take your logo off and you can put COD on"

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AllanIceman

Make up your mind!

Sylinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sylinder

Doesn`t have tha "M-Rated" sticker also... So WHAT!?. I know news is slow, but jeez ! Are you trying to create beef here Jeff?!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#15  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Personally, I say really confuse the hell out of gamers.  Call it Call of Modern Duty At War Warfare 6: Men Without Hats.

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Xcessive

The back is one big Activision logo

Eh that box arts not doing much for me.
    A bit dull dont you think?

Aeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Aeon
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Aeon said:
    " Maybe the Activion logo is beneath his Thumb... i know i would put it there :P "
    That's it. This whole thing is just a riff off of an old Flintstones episode! Remember, the one where Barney and Fred go fishing and Fred catches a prehistoric whale or something? But when Barney goes to take the photo, his thumb covers up the whale? That's probably what this is! Oh Infinity Ward, you true connisseurs of classic animation! "
    Very funny... Idiots everywhere nowadays. Thanks for reminding me. 
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

"Modern Warfare 2 - A Call of Duty Game" is what they should call it, because it would be a spectacularly lame name, and it kinda fits with the whole naming fiasco that has surrounded it.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sfighter21

Everybody who cares, raise your hand...

*looks around*

stokerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stokerd

I like what MattyFTM says, "Modern Warfare 2 - A Call of Duty Game." Also there is no ESRB M rating on the game. So I doubt this is the final cover version. Plus the whole thing looks sketchy. Looks a little fake to me, even with the thumb reflection on it. Like they doctored up a couple of boxes with their artwork. Meh.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By digital_sin

I also noticed the lack of helicopters. I bet Ryan is pleased, being anti-helicopters and all.

ALSO, these are 100% not the final covers. There's no region or ESRB rating on the box. EVERY Xbox360 game must have at least the region clearly stated on the box (PAL or NTSC). So there's still a chance that the Activision logo will be added later and the COD logo removed (unlikely).

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jimbo

Called it... again.

'Call of Duty' is now a brand name only.  Everything after that from now on is the actual title of the game.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reverseface

It's 100% gonan say call of duty on the box when this ships 100% this is a fact.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By FlipperDesert
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " Personally, I say really confuse the hell out of gamers.  Call it Call of Modern Duty At War Warfare 6: Men Without Hats. "
    Add "Or as They're Known Today: Men Without Jobs." to the end of that and I'm buying it day one for the title alone.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Lies

There's also no ESRB logo- it clearly isn't a final printing.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By insanejedi

So Call of-, I mean Modern-, I mean Call of Duty Modern- no no..

Thanks Activision for making it far more confusing than what it originally was.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27  Edited By sjschmidt93

Sounds like a weird name change.. 

Kinda like 2K's 

"No, we like to name our trailers!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5a06726367912
    deactivated-5a06726367912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    Happy now?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

maybe his thumb is covering a tiny activision logo. 

whatever the case may be though, news must be really SCARCE if we are all getting excited over fucking box art for an army game. i mean boy, TWO articles covering this in one day?!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187

No rating sticker on the boxart.  No Activision logo on the boxart.  The Call of Duty logo doesn't fit with it at all.  I'm waiting for someone to yell "FAKE"!

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By dietmango

Oh my God. Make up your own fucking minds.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 2: A Call of Duty Game

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Boiglenoight

Why is this news.

YoConraaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YoConraaa
    @OmegaPirate:  Dude, he's just holding the box... Gosh!
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akeldama

Call of Duty presents? 

Rlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rlan

Digital_Sin is correct. Most likely these are the final "mockup" boxes for store shelves.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Jeff said:
    "

"
    Well that.... and the fact that it doesn't have an ESRB rating.
    SlimDogg95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SlimDogg95

I don't know ...Starting to think it isnt the final box art. No Activision Logo and no ESRB rating.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wrect
    @Cheapoz: I think you nailed it.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#40  Edited By EpicSteve
    @LiquidPrince said:
    "@Jeff said:
    "

No Caption Provided

"
    Well that.... and the fact that it doesn't have an ESRB rating."

It hasen't be rated yet, most likely.
    nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nick69

and there's no esrb.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42  Edited By Crono

This is the most exciting news story ever!  I care about my packaging a lot so I am excited to watch this story about inclusions / exclusions of logos and words develop further.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

Yeah it was the lack of an Activision logo that stood out to me the most when I first saw this box art.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wolverine

That looks pretty legit. Whatever, no one says I'm playing Modern Warfare. Everyone I know says I'm playing COD or Call of Duty. The Call of Duty brand is great for marketing.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hashbrowns

That's a pretty...underwhelming design, if not outright bad.  This isn't a criticism of the game itself, just the box art, but that design is almost embarassing considering the resources Activision has at its disposal.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TomA

Here's how i picture this went down.

The IW and Activision guys are sitting in a board room discussing the name of the game. IW guys want to name it Modern Warfare 2, and the Activison peeps are rooting for putting Call of Duty before it in big letters. Then, some guy from Treyarch, while sitting in the corner going unnoticed says "I know how to solve this, just make 'Call of Duty' smaller." Brief silence. "Ok let's do it" say the presidents for Activison and IW. Treyarch guy walks out of the room grinning to himself.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ket87

Hmm, this is the weirdest story of a video game in recent years. At first Infinity Ward made no attempts at hiding their issues with Activision and then dropped the name. The name shows up in what I can only assume are test copies of what the packaging layout is and it has the name on it again but doesn't have the Activision logo on it. Now IW isn't saying anything and Activision is speaking up but all the while throwing out tons of bullshit that doesn't answer the question at all. The history of the development of this game would make for one hell of a collectors edition making of DVD if either party would fess up to the internal issue at the company haha.

InvertedForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By InvertedForce

It was bound to have 'Call of Duty' on the box as it is a big brand name and will bring in the £££. Also if its a direct sequal to a Call of Duty game, like they say, then it is a Call of Duty game =P, so should be called that! Not like its a random spin-off or something! Infact if anything COD4 shouldn't have had the COD name as that was the spinoff! =S

I think that is the final art. It doesn't have the rating or region boxs due to that being different in each region. So that is like the 'basic' art without all the area specific stuff added.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cheapoz

Activision has the cash to pay for as much marketing as possible to let people know that the sequel to COD4 is MW2.

Adding COD to the name is some CEO's last minute wake-up-and-the-bed-is-wet style worry that shareholders won't get their coin.
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By kenzo287

I hear by re-dub it: Call of Duty: Extinction

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.