Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Best/Worst Maps

• 94 results
    random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By random_guy23

Yes, I know that this has probably been done many, many times before, but now, the game has been out for over a month now, and many players have probably learnt the all the maps by now. So, I made my decision yesterday.

Best Maps

1. Terminal 

This is a fantastic map which is great for any game mode. Domination and Demolition work really well here. The plane and the top of the stairs in the Terminal are great spots to shoot from, and the glass roof of the terminal means that you can drop care packages through the roof. This map is my personal favourite.

2. Highrise

This map situated on top of a skyscraper is tricky to traverse, but a lot of fun. The 2 opposing sides, the 3 open straights, and the multiple levels make this a great map. Also, there is a crane that you can climb on. Yes. 

3. Favela

Narrow streets and wide open areas are combined in the map to make something quite special. This map has lots of vertical gameplay, with accessible roofs and balconies. Expect hectic TDM's and Domination games.

Worst Maps

1. Underpass

I cannot stress enough how much I hate this map. The rain and the darkness makes everything so difficult. Some players, yes, have got used to it, but I don't think I ever will. 

2. Derail

This map is too large, and the buildings are oddly placed. Also, it has some of most annoyingly placed demoltion bomb sites.

3. Sub Base

When I played this map, I expected more of it to be accessible, but its not. This map isn't bad, it just could have been a lot better.

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By kenya24
    @random_guy23: I would probably flip your two lists. I used to love the three you mentioned as your top, now like them less than the three you didn't like.

I would also add Estate as one of my faves.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I loves me some terminal.

Oh, and Estate.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Terminal
    Scrapyard
    Afghan
    Sub Base
    Highrise
    Underpass
    Estate
    Derail
    Invasion
    Karachi 
    Quarry
    Wasteland
    Rundown
    Skidrow
    Rust
    Favela

Listed from favorite to least favorite.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By JokerClown88

Underpass is cool for the weather effects only.  Its the layout of the map that drives me crazy.  If it was layed out better it would be ok. 

Other then that ony your list for me, I would take off Sub Base.  That is one of my favorite levels.  :D
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Evilsbane

There is no one map for me sadly in this game there are only a few which completely suck and the others do their job.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By cap123

Terminal, sub base and invasion are my favourite.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coltonio7

Karachi is win.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jkz

Put wasteland at 2 and you've got my list.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I enjoy Terminal, Highrise, Favela and Scrapyard.  I'm starting to enjoy Wasteland, Estate, Afghan, Underpass and Skidrow.  I hate Derail (good thing it's not included in FFA), Sub Base and Quarry.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hicks91

terminal is an amazing map 

why it doesnt come up as often as shitty derail is beyond me

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Illmatic

Estate, Derail, and Underpass have to be my most hated maps. 

Derail is too large, as you said and it is impossible to get anywhere with the safety of cover as there are numerous wide open fields between destinations. Combine snipers in rooftops and forests and this easily tops my list as most hated.

Estate has a similar size problem as well as uneven team positions. The house has an almost unfair view of the majority of the map making it difficult to scale the hill without a well organized team or just several skilled players happening to team up for a few seconds. 

Underpass is way too dark and grimy for my liking. It's hard to see anything and the center of the map might as well be a pit of lava for how often you'll die once you even set foot on the bridge leading to it.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cynical_M

I love Favela....Dont like Derail...

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By random_guy23

Get in there! I'm on my favourite, Terminal, now. Oh yeah, about wasteland, it's alright, as long as you stay in or near the bunker, then its hectic.

JakeGiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakeGiles

Show some more love for Sub Base. Since i only play HQ its a pretty awesome map. Unlike scrapyard which is just a gorefest.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

CoD games don't have good maps.
    ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProjektGill

I like Scrapyard, Quarry and Terminal. I don't really like playing on Underpass and Karachi that much.

random_guy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By random_guy23

OMG I just got the most badass kill ever on Terminal, I was on top of the stairs inside the building, I jumped off, and using the SPAS-12 shotgun, managed to kill 3 people with one shot while in midair!

DevinC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DevinC

Scrapyard 
    Favela 
    Highrise 
    Afghan 

Dislike 
    Wasteland 
    Quarry 

Strongly Dislike 
    Rust 

Rust is pretty much the worst map ever. Every time I play that map, I spawn and am killed within a half second. One game I came in part way through, played for about 35 seconds, and had 27 deaths and 1 kill. I want to stress that I don't suck at the game, I just get killed instantly.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @Muttinus_Rump: Nice Plants v Zombies picture, but personally my santa hat is ten times better. xD

Terminal is my favorite.
    I kind of don't like 75% of the maps or at least don't mind them.
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cap123

yeah rust is awful, also criticising sub base for not being as open as you thought it would be is silly, all the city maps have blocked off doors and you can only go in a few buildings. I rreally like all the city levels; invasion, the farm one with the river running through it, the level with the embassy one side and the gas station on the other.. fun

also i actually really like derail, it's the only map i snipe on and you can get some good snipe battles going across the map.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz
    @JakeGiles said:
    " Show some more love for Sub Base. Since i only play HQ its a pretty awesome map. Unlike scrapyard which is just a gorefest. "
    Hell yes. Sub-Base is actually one of my favorite maps, but it's mainly because I play mostly objective play-lists. I hate it on team-deathmatch.
    ekkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ekkers
    Like: 
    Terminal
    Highrise 
    Afghan 
    Wasteland
    Skidrow
    Sub Base    
    Don't like:
    Quarry 
    Scrapyard
    Rust 
    Underpass  
    Rundown  
    Like only on certain modes:
    Estate
    Derail
    Invasion
    Karachi  
    Favela
    Avatar image for ihaxedallreconcodez
    iHaxedAllReconCodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@random_guy23:  
    I love Highrise and Favela also but DESPISE TERMINAL. The map was made for campers. The corners inside the buildings provide perfect vantage points for people to camp, and in some spots spawn camp. I agree with the hates but I've come to like Underpass more playing some objective based games as apposed to TDM. If there's one map that never gets old for me is Afghan. I feel that no matter what gametype it is it's always fun. The flags and bombs are always evenly spread apart, which can't be said for most of the maps. So here's my list: 

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By xMP44x

I love Terminal. I rarely meet campers, and if I do, they're always in the plane. And that can be fixed with a silenced SMG and some stealthing ;)

My top three:

Terminal
    Sub Base
    Derail

NG_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NG_21

Love: Highrise,  Favela

Hate: Estate, Skidrow.

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MetalR

Rundown is probably my most hated map in this game.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By meteora
    Maps I like

1. Terminal - This is the most "flawless" map design in Modern Warfare 2 for me. There's rarely any campers (save for the red building with the gas tank on top or the plane), the map size is good, you can drop carepackages into the building, still kill people with air support in the building thanks to the windows in the ceiling and its just generally a good map for me. Its one of the only maps where I go around with a riot shield or start sniping fools.

2. Highrise - An interesting map, I don't know why I like it. Must be because it looks cool. Anyhow it has an unusual amount of clever maneuver and spots to go into; all of them intentionally. There's the cranes, going on top of the building, sneaking past the sides of the map, its just really awesome. Camping doesn't become much of an issue; other than spawn camping from your spawn since you can take out baddies from there. A little ridiculous but its not very bad.

3. Invasion - Brilliant map, makes me feel like I'm in a real firefight and that I have to use whatever cover I can find so I won't die. It becomes very interesting once the two teams funnel their guys into one area and having a long range shoot out. The adrenaline is on. The only problem is a number of camping spots, but its not bad.

4. Sub Base - I like this one as well, probably because its a snow level. My only gripe is that most of the action takes place in the Navy Seals spawn and the middle, never the Russian spawn. 

5. Wasteland - A good open field for snipers. Though its a good balance with the bunker inside where sometimes things can get really fun when one team flushes the other one out from the trenches. Air support absolutely rapes in this map.

Maps I  dislike

1. Derail - The very first map I've played when I was playing MW2. I thought it was cool at first because I didn't know how goddamn expansive it was and because it took place in the snow. This map is too huge. That's about it for why it sucks as a map. I hate having to spawn on the other end of the map and running to the other spot just to kill and die. However all is forgiven once you play it on Ground Wars; it offers you arguably the most personal space without your team getting clusterfucked in one spot.

2. Estate - I like to think of this as "Creek 2.0". In Creek back in COD4 you got a huge advantage by spawning as Russians or holding on the hill. Seriously, just hold onto the estate up on the hill and you have possibly all the advantage to winning the game. It may become an interesting game just because one team has to camp and the other one has to clear the estate out; but it becomes too predictable.

3. Favela - The very definition of vertical dimension into the game. I hate this map. I constantly get killed by people on the roofs who likes to camp up there. What makes this place even bad is that firing my noob tubes is less effective whenever I want to take those guys out from the lower levels.

4. Underpass - The weather effect sucks. You can't see shit across the map. It worked in Downpour in COD4 because there were obstacles that didn't like you see very far beyond the map; but things changed in MW2. Maps are bigger. And this is a badly designed map without taking into consideration of that.

5. Scrapyard - Its a gorefest. Especially on Ground Wars. Too small. Period.

6. Karachi - I don't like it because of its camping spots, there's too much places to camp. I also have a hard time finding any real action or where most of it is anyways.
    canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By canucks23

Am i the only one who hates Terminal?

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Verit

Skidrow  
    Estate
    Scrapyard
    Favela
    Karachi
    Highrise 
    Derail
    Terminal   
    Invasion
    Quarry
    Sub Base 
    Afghan
    Rundown
    Rust
    Wasteland 
    Underpass

Underpass is beyond retarded. Maybe it is because I enjoy CQC (which is obvious with Skidrow, Favela, Estate, and Scrapyard all high on my list while large open maps like Wasteland are horrible)

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @random_guy23 said:
    " Yes, I know that this has probably been done many, many times before, but now, the game has been out for over a month now, and many players have probably learnt the all the maps by now. So, I made my decision yesterday.  Best Maps  1. Terminal   This is a fantastic map which is great for any game mode. Domination and Demolition work really well here. The plane and the top of the stairs in the Terminal are great spots to shoot from, and the glass roof of the terminal means that you can drop care packages through the roof. This map is my personal favourite.  2. Highrise  This map situated on top of a skyscraper is tricky to traverse, but a lot of fun. The 2 opposing sides, the 3 open straights, and the multiple levels make this a great map. Also, there is a crane that you can climb on. Yes.   3. Favela  Narrow streets and wide open areas are combined in the map to make something quite special. This map has lots of vertical gameplay, with accessible roofs and balconies. Expect hectic TDM's and Domination games.   Worst Maps  1. Underpass  I cannot stress enough how much I hate this map. The rain and the darkness makes everything so difficult. Some players, yes, have got used to it, but I don't think I ever will.   2. Derail  This map is too large, and the buildings are oddly placed. Also, it has some of most annoyingly placed demoltion bomb sites.  3. Sub Base  When I played this map, I expected more of it to be accessible, but its not. This map isn't bad, it just could have been a lot better. "
    My list is exactly th same.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rayfield

Wasteland and Quarry are awesome. 

Rundown is dumb beyond words.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Red12b

Scrapyard, Rust, Wasteland (Once I got used to the sniper rifles I own all you fools :)
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive

yuck, Terminal is my least favorite. i feel like im running in a big circle the entire time and people ALWAYS spawn behind you. 

Katsumoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Katsumoto

Highrise
    Terminal
    Invasion
    Karachi
    Skidrow
    Quarry 
    Underpass
    Sub Base
    Estate
    Derail
    Rundown
    Favela
    Rust
    Wasteland
    Afghan
    Scrapyard 

Why I put Scrapyard last - Yes, something can be said that it is an "Anti-camping" map. But, it does not give you any time to breathe, and even simply reloading is enough time for you to be flanked and killed. It just feels that there are too many side-flank areas on this map. 

Why I put Highrise first - This level (along with Terminal) is great for just about any game mode. This feels like the boat from COD4, but refined. The under-areas are great, and make it so that the buildings aren't just super-snipe zones. There are also some really well done spots on this map that really makes it dynamic.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy Terminal a lot, but I think, objectively, that map has some issues. If a team in Team Deathmatch hunkers down in the corner opposite the baggage and maintenance building, then they can basically control the tone and rhythm of the match.

Sub Base might be my favorite map. That or Scrapyard. Both maps have a nice pace to them, what with their being medium-sized and all. And I feel aware of my surroundings most on those two.  

As for dislikes, I've found myself disliking something about almost every map in this game, but Derail has to be, as far as I can remember, the worst map I've ever seen in a first-person shooter.

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Phantom_Crash
    Maps I like:
    Wasteland
    Estate
    Terminal
    Highrise
    Afgan

Maps I do not like:
    Karachi
    Rundown
    Rust
    Scrap Yard
    Skidrow (Do not like this at all)

The others I do not care.
    Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Butchio

Skidrow playing domination. The battles at the B flag can get insane

Katsumoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Katsumoto

Honestly, Derailed is not a bad level. The only knock I can find on it is its size. But gamemodes that force the players to a certain place (Headquarters comes to mind) show that the map is well-made.

Playing new game modes on a map can really change your perspective on it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#40  Edited By natetodamax

Like: Terminal, Afghan
    Dislike: Everything else

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kmdrkul

I don't like any of the town ones: Skidrow, Karachi, Invasion

I do like Underpass for the sole reason that everyone and their mother is awful at that map, and I enjoy hiding in the tall grass and popping fools off one by one :D

w34ky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By w34ky

I pretty much enjoy all the maps.. Each is more diverse then the other.

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By MrCynical

Best:
    1. Terminal
    2. Invasion
    3. Afghan

Worst:
    1. Karachi
    2. Highrise
    3. Rundown

(both lists in descending order)

I used to hate Favela with a pure, unmitigated, quit-the-game-when-it-appears passion. That was until I discovered that the First Recon default class has the tactical knife setup. Now I have something to survive with it ain't quite as bad. Rundown is camp city, and not even in a good way like you could argue with Wasteland. Karachi is just a travesty of a map, I'm not sure how it passed QC with such an utterly bizarre layout. Highrise offers no opportunities to flank and is therefore just a twitch-trigger contest.

I should add that I primarily play Headquarters, so I have different priorities in a map than TDM players. It also means that Underpass is rendered slightly more fun and I never have to play Rust :P

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AnimalFather

worst map is underpass without a doubt

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fentonalpha

Best maps MW1
    Worst Maps MW2

They are just boring and camp happy..... tough i do like camping the Burger Town in Terminal

Wasteland is a nightmare...but If you play pro versions of Marathon, Lightweight  & Ninja and run around stabbing campers it's fun.

Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Verit

I love Skidrow but the one thing that drives me insane is when I call in a chopper gunner and the entire enemy team is inside. >_<

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gabriel

Rust is my favorite it's so small and flat out crazy

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Monopolized

Good Maps:

Bad Maps: 
    Skidrow
    Estate
    Scapyard
    Favela
    Karachi
    Highrise
    Derail
    Therminal
    Invasion
    Quarry
    Sub Base
    Afghan
    Rundown
    Rust
    Wasteland
    Underpass

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MrSnow

Hate wasteland
    love Terminal

Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Heartbreak

Best:
    1. Favela
    2. Terminal
    3. Highrise

Worst:
    1. Estate
    2. Wasteland
    3. Karachi 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.