Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Call of Duty did not invent the fucking wheel...

• 90 results
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Edited By FireBurger

Alright, I felt the need to write this after hearing so many people saying "Call of Duty anyone...?" and "Way to rip off Modern Warfare" in relation to so many different games.  The most recent that I've seen is calling the co-op campaign of Splinter Cell: Conviction a rip off of Spec-Ops. That doesn't even make sense. Modern Warfare 2 has separate "challenge" levels for co-op, not a campaign.

Call of Duty does have some unique things such as killstreak rewards, said co-op "challenges," and probably some other things I'm not thinking of, but believe it or not, it was not born from the vagina of originality. Below are just some of the things that people are claiming are rip-offs of Call of Duty, listed with games they've appeared in before Modern Warfare. A lot of these probably appeared before even the games I've listed, these are just the ones that come to mind first.

• Modern setting - Ghost Recon (2001) or Battlefield 2 (2005) if you want a popular online shooter
    • Persistent ranking system - Battlefield 2
    • Unlockable weapons - Battlefield 2
    • UAVs / Shooting down UAVs - Battlefield 2   
    • Weapon mods  - SOCOM 3 (2005)
    • Customizable kit loadouts - Battlefield 2142 (2006) 
    • Seperate co-op "campaign" - Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (2006)
    • Perks - Fallout (1997) (Call of Duty did bring them to FPSs)

The entire video game industry relies on give and take. Games before Call of Duty did it, Call of Duty did it, and games to come will do it. So, please, if you don't know what you're talking about, kindly shut the fuck up already.

DISCLAIMER: Since some people seem to think I'm hating on Call of Duty -- I'm not. I'm hating on people who talk out of their asses and attack other games when they don't know what they're talking about. I've played every COD since the original and love the series.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FireBurger

Alright, I felt the need to write this after hearing so many people saying "Call of Duty anyone...?" and "Way to rip off Modern Warfare" in relation to so many different games.  The most recent that I've seen is calling the co-op campaign of Splinter Cell: Conviction a rip off of Spec-Ops. That doesn't even make sense. Modern Warfare 2 has separate "challenge" levels for co-op, not a campaign.

Call of Duty does have some unique things such as killstreak rewards, said co-op "challenges," and probably some other things I'm not thinking of, but believe it or not, it was not born from the vagina of originality. Below are just some of the things that people are claiming are rip-offs of Call of Duty, listed with games they've appeared in before Modern Warfare. A lot of these probably appeared before even the games I've listed, these are just the ones that come to mind first.

• Modern setting - Ghost Recon (2001) or Battlefield 2 (2005) if you want a popular online shooter

The entire video game industry relies on give and take. Games before Call of Duty did it, Call of Duty did it, and games to come will do it. So, please, if you don't know what you're talking about, kindly shut the fuck up already.

DISCLAIMER: Since some people seem to think I'm hating on Call of Duty -- I'm not. I'm hating on people who talk out of their asses and attack other games when they don't know what they're talking about. I've played every COD since the original and love the series.
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eclipsesis

you sure did school all those kids out there

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By adam_grif

Goddamn kids these days.

The worst was when people say something like "Lol, Medal of Honor is SO TOTALLY RIPPING OFF MW", apparently under the impression that a WW2 franchise moving to a more modern setting means you're ripping off MW. Except that the Battlefield series did that way before CoD did. And, you know, MW is set in unspecifiedistan in the future with Russian bad guys, and MoH is set in the real world Afghanistan war.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SamStrife

So did Battlefield invent the wheel?

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By danielkempster
    @adam_grif said:
    " MW is set in unspecifiedistan in the future with Russian bad guys, and MoH is set in the real world Afghanistan war. "
    I'm sure there's an EA-licensing-monopoly joke to be made here, but I'll leave it alone.
    JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Way to drop the knowledge bomb on those kids.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FireBurger
    @eclipsesis said:
    " you sure did school all those kids out there "
    Look, if even one person stops saying that all games with unlockable weapons are a direct rip-off of the Call of Duty, I'm happy. Of course, those people are usually irrational fanboys anyway. ;)
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cap123

hey don't get me wrong i loved battlefield with all my heart and those other games are cool beans too, but,

even if MW2 isn't original they kind of brought it all together, and when a similar game comes out these days they are probably copying MW2, just because of the huge success, even if they are in turn copying someone else. When BF2 came out it was brilliant, but no-one really copied it, then COD4 & now MW2 come out and now if there's a flurry of perk systems, persistent rankings, and modern warfare stuff, it'll be down to COD

mflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mflare

Ok i was not aware people were saying the splinter cell co op was ripping off modern warfare 2. I can kinda see where they are coming from with MOH but what the fuck? Splinter cell chaos theroy had co op way before call of duty did. The call of duty fan base seems to get worse each game. Anyway, just ignore them. These are the same 8 year olds who go on xbox live saying "fucking pussy using the duel rangers" They are just for entertainment.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FireBurger
    @cap123: I agree that Modern Warfare's success has certainly influenced other games, I'm just saying that other games are no more "ripping-off" Call of Duty than Call of Duty did other games. All games are influenced and affected by other games; that's just the way the industry (like any entertainment industry) is.

No one can honestly tell me Infinity Ward didn't know about and borrow ideas from BF2's ranking system / weapon unlocks when they made MW.
    Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By deathstriker666

Those aren't major innovations in gaming history either..... 

Not my definition of what makes a game "unique and original"

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chokobo

*yawn* Another one of these.

ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

@FireBurgersaid:   

This makes me so happy :D!!!! 

I love SOCOM!!!!! 

Oh and ya, that's one of my biggest pet peeves of CoD, every game with a gun is a rip off according to all the CoD players.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

The problem is, kids are just getting into gaming now who are playing Call Of Duty as one of their first franchises.

It's probably like I probably pissed off a ton of old-school gamers (well would have, if I had the Internet back then) in the early 90's when I was getting into Sonic & Mario.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sjupp

Hmm, if there isn't already, concept pages should be made just to throw them in the face of whiny CoD fanbitches.

McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By McPaper

I agree entirely and do express a slight level of frustration when people treat MW with such reverance despite it being a good game. However I doubt posting that stuff here on Giant Bomb forums will impact the right sort of people.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eclipsesis
    @FireBurger said:
    " @eclipsesis said:
    Look, if even one person stops saying that all games with unlockable weapons are a direct rip-off of the Call of Duty, I'm happy. Of course, those people are usually irrational fanboys anyway. ;) "
    please don't misunderstand, i support you, but there are just some demographics that will just not hear of you argument.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By flaminghobo

I completely agree with you, and what you have to say. Though you have to understand that Modern Warfare 2 has become much more of a mainstream game compared to Battlefield 2, and the younger audience of gamers are generally ignorant. (I'd like to think that I am not ignorant.)

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Arjuna

The "fucking wheel"?  If someone ever invents a "fucking wheel", they need to tell me right away.  I guess it'd be like a steering wheel, with a dildo attached to the end of it. 

I don't feel like doing the homework to find the article for you guys...  But I remember hearing discussion on the Joystiq podcast on an article(I think it was from Yahoo), where the writer said that the game, and I'm paraphrasing, 'had a lot to say about the state of world affairs'. 

Really?!  Like what?  The Russians are going to fly over the ocean and attack us?  McCarthiasm was a long time ago.  I was under the impression that great economic and political ties were being made between the two countries.

HyBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HyBound

I'm sorry, but Medal of Honor looks EXACTLY like MW2. The way the gun moves, the way you aim down your sites, I mean, jesus, if i told you to look at a picture of someone shooting down the red dot sight in both games, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm not saying Medal of Honor is outright aping their mechanics, but open your damn eyes.

But when i'm not flame-baiting...

It does seem like a lot of games are incorrectly getting lumped in with the "MW2-clone" thoughts, but what can you expect when people are probably playing exorbitant amounts of CoD and see something coming out that looks like its set in the same setting or using a popular mechanic. Any game with a cover system was considered a "Gears of War-clone" for a while... You can't blame companies for seeing what people enjoy about a AAA game and incorporating it.

So, yeah, i'd say the problem i have with labeling stuff "clones" is because people incorporate successful mechanics into games that were popularized by a certain game that are still in the public consciousness. Labeling something a "clone" gets thrown around too much, just like saying you're "addicted" to something, or saying someone is a douche...

jjacobsson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jjacobsson

http://xkcd.com/386/ 

<edit> Sorry. I just could not resist. </edit>

Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Downandout
    @mflare: Oh how i so love being told  that phrase when i play online x]
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Afroman269

People said that Splinter Cell coop is a rip-off? That's just ignorant, I guess people forgot that Chaos Theory existed.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105

Call of Duty didn't invent anything, other than pompous and unlikable behavior from it's developer. And that could be traced back to many developers in the 90's.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By WrenchNinja

Remember when Resident Evil 5 was a Gears clone? People are stupid and just give whatever that's currently popular reverence.

stealthdf2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By stealthdf2

i didnt think MW2 invented the wheel till i read this thread. Now am i not only convinced that MW2 gave birth to the wheel but they totally had a hand in the spawning of the square as well and possibly even every single geometrical shape in the universe.... THANKS OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @FireBurger: Agreed.  I think COD4: MW and COD: MW2 have just made these things more popular and more developed, and that's why people often attribute these things to them.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zombie2011

Damn! You just dropped a knowledge bomb on are asses.
     Damn! You just dropped a knowledge bomb on are asses.
    Eight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Eight

Which is why CoD MW2 is such a big hit, it takes all these different features and places them into one game, does it really honestly matter if it ripped off another game? if you care so much about it why are you even complaining? Why don't you just go play the other game.
    Most people dislike CoD just because it's popular and they think they're cool just by saying "Oh well, CoD ripped off...etc." or whatever.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Good thread, still it's cool how modern warfare 2 has everything in one game though at the very least.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Jimbo

You make a lot of good points, but I don't think every developer and their dog is out there trying to emulate the success of Battlefield 2 (though granted, it was an awesome game).  Same deal with all the Gears clones - fair enough Kill Switch or whatever did it before, but nobody is out there actively trying to rip off the success of Kill Switch.

When people say "LOLOMG they are copying CoD4 / Gears / Whatever", they really mean that publisher x has just looked at the franchises that are selling a zillion copies and decided they need to copy it as closely as possible to get a slice of the action.  Which is exactly what EA are doing with MoH - that isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's still undeniably what they're doing.  This is just how it goes in gaming, somebody does something great and then everybody else produces (usually substandard) copies of it for the next 5 years, until the next cool thing comes along. 

I agree that the Conviction / Spec Ops comparison is pretty retarded though, they don't seem similar at all.

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By milpool

Who cares? Get over it, people are always going to jump on bandwagons, and games like these are a fantastic way to progress the industry and the user base.  CoD didn't invent the wheel they just have the best goddamn wheel available right now and thats a good thing for everyone.  So if you can't stand the ignorance towards this release, then you should probably divert your attention because there will be a lot more big game releases to come which will attract more attention and spawn more ignorance.  If your aim is to educate then you should probably do some research first, however if you are just trying to say HEY I KNOW MORE THAN YOU then you're just as big a waste of comment space as the CoD fanatics.

fRAWRst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fRAWRst

thank god for this fireburger

i was going nuts aswell

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kenya24
    @FireBurger said:
     So, please, if you don't know what you're talking about, kindly shut the fuck up already. "
    Is MW2 the first to combine them all? I'd say combining the feature sets of 5 other games notable games (not even all of the FPS games) is a pretty good idea. 

Besides, just because IW didn't invent any of these features, doesn't mean they didn't execute on a wicked game. No they didn't invent the wheel, but they managed to get more people playing their game than any of these games did.
    WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By WrenchNinja

Jack of all trades, master of none.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FireBurger
    @Milpool: What research should I do? Find the very first games that these things appeared in? It doesn't matter. They came before COD and that was my point.

Did they come from prior games? Yes. But, that's the whole point of what I'm saying. Every game borrows from another. I've got nothing against COD (I've played them all and own both the PC and 360 copy of 2), I just want some people to realize that they shouldn't attack every game as a "clone" of Call of Duty. 

I could choose to ignore it, or I could post just one thing on my personal blog and hope that if even two people take something away from it, the tradeoff is worthwhile.  

@Eight: I'm not complaining that COD "ripped-off" anything else. The whole point was to get people to stop claiming that games are rip-offs of other games. The entire industry is a give and take, which is the entire point of my post.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Modern Warfare 2 is the first first-person shooter ever made. Fact.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Coombs

MW2 takes alot from all other games just as many other games will take from it,
    The battlefield franchise has done alot of things that have influenced pretty much every war based fps around

@Arjuna said:

" The "fucking wheel"?  If someone ever invents a "fucking wheel", they need to tell me right away.  I guess it'd be like a steering wheel, with a dildo attached to the end of it. 

I do apologize if this offends.....
    No Caption Provided
    JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JakJ

Damn! Those kids just got educized. Way to bring the knowledge sir!

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Toxin066
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 is the first first-person shooter ever made. Fact. "
    Boom. That's what's up.
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By chstupid
    @Coombs said:
    "MW2 takes alot from all other games just as many other games will take from it,
    The battlefield franchise has done alot of things that have influenced pretty much every war based fps around

@Arjuna said:

" The "fucking wheel"?  If someone ever invents a "fucking wheel", they need to tell me right away.  I guess it'd be like a steering wheel, with a dildo attached to the end of it. 

I do apologize if this offends.....

"

WTF
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lamegame621

Bravo, Mr FireBurger

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cap123

@Arjuna said:

I could totally link you to proof of it existence if you really wanted
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By buzz_killington

What I hate is people calling any game with "iron sights" a Call of Duty rip-off.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax

Of course Call of Duty did not invent the wheel. The wheel has been around for thousands of years.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Coltonio7

CHILL THE FUCK OUT, BRO

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Jeust
    @FireBurger: 

Call of Duty did not invent the fucking wheel...

but it did reinvented it, didn't it?
    Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
    Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

Well now I miss Battlefield 2.

Also, remember those hilarious pre-achievement achievements that BF2 had? Kill something like a million enemies as a single faction. They even had them for the expansion too! Here, these guys are on two maps total in the game, now kill 500,000 people for a badge. Madness.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @FireBurger: I totally agree with you, of course there are some games that are going to be influenced, at least in part, by the success of the CoD series, they'd fucking stupid not to realise you should at the very least try to match what the other guy's doing, CoD4 and MW2 are good because they took a lot of really good ideas (many of which had appeared in other games) and implemented them really well. I really hate the idea that just because a game is in the same genre as a game that is really successful and popular it is a "clone" or a "rip-off", like people calling Dante's Inferno a God of War clone - the hack n slash genre existed before GoW! I mean nobody called Apocalypse Now or Platoon Deer Hunter clones even though they are all Vietnam movies (admittedly not entirely parallel to this situation but you know what I mean).
    Avatar image for ihaxedallreconcodez
    iHaxedAllReconCodez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eclipsesis said:

Skooled dem bad kidz!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.