Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Did it win GOTY any where?

• 70 results
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By Heartagram

I remember everyone saying that  MW2 would be the game of the year and UC2 would be the under dog. 

From where i have looked it seems as if the opposite has happened.  

I was just wondering has it received GOTY from any publication. 

Not that i care all that much just more of a curiosity. I don't need a publication to justify my love for a game =D

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LincoIn

GameTrailers.com gave it GOTY.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By InfiniteGeass

GameTrailers gave it game of everything ever apparently.

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Heartagram

Good to know i was just a bit surprised it seemed like everywhere was doing the "This Game is just do Obvious"

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    " GameTrailers gave it game of everything ever apparently. "
    Yep.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JDDrewes
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    That's better than GameSpot, who think that they're so cool and didn't give it best shooter, competitive multiplayer, or co-op.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    That's better than GameSpot, who think that they're so cool and didn't give it best shooter, competitive multiplayer, or co-op. "
    Or maybe they have an opinion like everyone else and chose something else because of it? Get over yourself...just because you think a game deserves something doesn't mean someone not giving it what you feel it deserves means they are "trying to be cool".
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JDDrewes
    @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    That's better than GameSpot, who think that they're so cool and didn't give it best shooter, competitive multiplayer, or co-op. "
    Or maybe they have an opinion like everyone else and chose something else because of it? Get over yourself...just because you think a game deserves something doesn't mean someone not giving it what you feel it deserves means they are "trying to be cool". "
    Gamespot's awards were totally jacked. MW2 wasn't even in the top 10 games of the year. I mean, GTA chinatown wars was in that list. and they gave the GOTY to demon's souls.
    zkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zkilla

Gamespy also gave it GOTY 
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    Or maybe they have an opinion like everyone else and chose something else because of it? Get over yourself...just because you think a game deserves something doesn't mean someone not giving it what you feel it deserves means they are "trying to be cool". "
    Gamespot's awards were totally jacked. MW2 wasn't even in the top 10 games of the year. I mean, GTA chinatown wars was in that list. and they gave the GOTY to demon's souls. "
    Perhaps they just weren't that impressed with MW2? I know that if I'd played Arkham Asylum, Layton 2 or Punch-Out!, it wouldn't have made my list. I haven't played KZ2, but my vote for all of your categories is Left 4 Dead 2. Sorry.
    Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@Little_Socrates: I don't think MW2 deserves GOTY, I love it but doesn't deserves GOTY.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @SmashedControllers: I actually have been liking it a lot, but this JDDrewes guy doesn't seem to understand that some people just didn't like the game that much. XP
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Romination
    @Heartagram said:
    " Good to know i was just a bit surprised it seemed like everywhere was doing the "This Game is just do Obvious" "
    or possibly they said "this game isn't good enough to beat out uncharted 2" because uncharted 2 is a better game. honestly.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    Gamespot's awards were totally jacked. MW2 wasn't even in the top 10 games of the year. I mean, GTA chinatown wars was in that list. and they gave the GOTY to demon's souls. "
    Your point being?  Gamespot just happened to prefer Demon's Souls to all other games released this year.  And frankly, they backed up their argument fairly well, pointing out the way it mixes an old school curve of difficulty with a take on online play that none of the other other games released this year could match.

In any event, no website or publication is required to kiss the ground that Modern Warfare 2 or any other game walks on.  Opinions vary from person to person and publication to publication.  In other words, get over it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    Your point being?  Gamespot just happened to prefer Demon's Souls to all other games released this year.  And frankly, they backed up their argument fairly well, pointing out the way it mixes an old school curve of difficulty with a take on online play that none of the other other games released this year could match.

In any event, no website or publication is required to kiss the ground that Modern Warfare 2 or any other game walks on.  Opinions vary from person to person and publication to publication.  In other words, get over it.
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I love Gamespot's choice. Demon Souls is great.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JDDrewes
    @Hailinel said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    Your point being?  Gamespot just happened to prefer Demon's Souls to all other games released this year.  And frankly, they backed up their argument fairly well, pointing out the way it mixes an old school curve of difficulty with a take on online play that none of the other other games released this year could match.  In any event, no website or publication is required to kiss the ground that Modern Warfare 2 or any other game walks on.  Opinions vary from person to person and publication to publication.  In other words, get over it. "
    I'm not asking it to kiss the ground that it's on. but it didn't even put it in the top 10. MW2 deserves more than that. I know that it's easy to hate MW2 because it's so popular, but you have to admit that it's better than that.
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JDDrewes said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    Your point being?  Gamespot just happened to prefer Demon's Souls to all other games released this year.  And frankly, they backed up their argument fairly well, pointing out the way it mixes an old school curve of difficulty with a take on online play that none of the other other games released this year could match.  In any event, no website or publication is required to kiss the ground that Modern Warfare 2 or any other game walks on.  Opinions vary from person to person and publication to publication.  In other words, get over it. "
    I'm not asking it to kiss the ground that it's on. but it didn't even put it in the top 10. MW2 deserves more than that. I know that it's easy to hate MW2 because it's so popular, but you have to admit that it's better than that. "
    Opinion man, but yeah not being in the Top Ten is a bit dumb. Epic Quote Chain.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JDDrewes

@SmashedControllers said:

" @JDDrewes said:

" @Hailinel said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    I'm not asking it to kiss the ground that it's on. but it didn't even put it in the top 10. MW2 deserves more than that. I know that it's easy to hate MW2 because it's so popular, but you have to admit that it's better than that. "
    Opinion man. Epic Quote Chain. "
    How big can these things get?
    Anyways, I just think that a lot of people are just looking at how big MW2 is, and saying "see i don't like that game cuz i'm independent unlike all of you sheeple". 
    then again, the only reason to hate a videogame is if it's popular. no one hates actual bad games (Rouge Warrior), no one hates small niche games (Psychonauts), but it's really easy to hate popular games (WoW, MW2, GTA4, etc.)
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Jayross

Dragon Age, Assassains Creed 2, Batman AA and Uncharted 2 are all better games than Modern Warfare 2. MW2 is good, but it won't be winning a lot of awards.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By KamasamaK
    @JDDrewes: GameSpot's collective opinion differs from yours. It's not too difficult to imagine. I doubt they're against it because it's so big. What do they have to gain for that? If anything, they risk alienating more people.
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Heartagram

How did i know this thread would turn into. MW2 sucks and daz why it dint get GOTY dummies lolz. 

For me i couldnt give another game GOTY. Loved the story, Played the shit out of the multiplayer and i don't see it stopping any time soon.  

It's a fantastic game and any fan of shooters can appreciate that. I honestly do not care if it wins GOTY it was a complete curiosity thing. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

That's actually weird you bring that up, it's kinda true.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Kamasama said:
    " @JDDrewes: GameSpot's collective opinion differs from yours. It's not too difficult to imagine. I doubt they're against it because it's so big. What do they have to gain for that? If anything, they risk alienating more people. "
    Opinions, opinions, I still think that Gamespot's awards are, as always, heavily laced with the ol' going against the grain solely to go against the grain.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By m1k3

Oh you mean gametrailers.com, the site that runs the Spike Vga's, who neglected to give Nolan North a single award?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @m1k3 said:
    " Oh you mean gametrailers.com, the site that runs the Spike Vga's, who neglected to give Nolan North a single award? "
    Why do people want Nolan North to win an award so bad?
    Especially an award they don't even consider valid?
    Geeze, can't wait for this GOTY stuff to ease up. :P
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By m1k3
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @m1k3 said:
    " Oh you mean gametrailers.com, the site that runs the Spike Vga's, who neglected to give Nolan North a single award? "
    Why do people want Nolan North to win an award so bad? Especially an award they don't even consider valid? Geeze, can't wait for this GOTY stuff to ease up. :P "
    Voice Actors need love too. Just because he isn't a "celebrity" doesn't mean he isn't good. i treat the Spike VGAs like i do with MTV's VMAs, Its just a popularity contest.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alex_V
    @JDDrewes said:
    I'm broadly with Gamespot on that one.
    Hitzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Hitzel

I personally feel that the gameplay in Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer is exceedingly lacking, and hopefully the reason that it hasn't gotten many GOTY awards is because of that.  In reality, however, the gameplay isn't considered by most reviewers, and most sites gave it thumbs down because of the single player and overlooked any part of the multiplayer besides the awards and perks.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Metroid545

who thought UC2 would be the underdog to MW2? I think everyone knew it was quite the opposite

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By apathylad
    @m1k3: 
    I know what you mean. I can't believe Megan Fox won an award for the Transformers game. Ludwig Kietzman from Joystiq said that she only had about two or three lines in that whole game.
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By adziboy
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:

Well, there goes your theory of: Hype = GOTY. I don't think MW2 wins any of them.
    Delta4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Delta4
    @Heartagram said:
    " How did i know this thread would turn into. MW2 sucks and daz why it dint get GOTY dummies lolz.   For me i couldnt give another game GOTY. Loved the story, Played the shit out of the multiplayer and i don't see it stopping any time soon.   It's a fantastic game and any fan of shooters can appreciate that. I honestly do not care if it wins GOTY it was a complete curiosity thing.  "
    I'm sorry, I'm a big fan of shooters and I cannot appreciate MW2 as a 'fantstic game'. It's just a rehashed and reskined version of the first Modern Warfare (which was a great game). With a short and terrible campaign and the same multiplayer from COD4 just with new perks, weapons and maps. MW2 did nothing for me, and I'm not surprised it won so little awards.
    Pun1sherrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Pun1sherrr
    @JDDrewes:  demon's souls deserves GOTY, but i agree that gamespot did not recognize MW2 at all... like at least best shooter... and yah lmfaoo Chinatown wars??
    ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ADTR_ZERO
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    I don't know what GS gave those games, but... 

Killzone 2 deserved best multiplayer. It was the the first class based shooter on consoles (at least, that I can remember.) 

Left 4 Dead 2 had better co-op than MW2. 

And the best, shooter, well...far from it.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MetalGearSunny
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

Apparently a large enough sum of money passed under the table from Bobby Kotick to Gametrailers that they saw fit to name it the single greatest game ever made. (ever)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#38  Edited By citizenkane
    @Metal_Gear_Sunny: My thoughts exactly.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @zkilla said:

" Gamespy also gave it GOTY  "

Who goes to Gamespy? All they ever did was make you download a ton of shit when you try to install a game.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slippy
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    It didn't deserve any of those awards.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zereta
    @JDDrewes: Maybe because it didn't deserve them? Just a thought. 

MW2 was not the amazing game everyone made it out to be. Its pretty good, just not great. Definitely not as good as COD4 or World at War (yes)
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JDDrewes
    @Delta4 said:
    It's just a rehashed and reskined version of the first Modern Warfare (which was a great game). With a short and terrible campaign and the same multiplayer from COD4 just with new perks, weapons and maps.
    You mean to tell me that a sequel is similar to the first game, but with new features?
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Coombs
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @Delta4 said:
    It's just a rehashed and reskined version of the first Modern Warfare (which was a great game). With a short and terrible campaign and the same multiplayer from COD4 just with new perks, weapons and maps.
    You mean to tell me that a sequel is similar to the first game, but with new features? "
    lol. You beat me to it.
    I dont understand why people always bash FPS sequels with the statement that its too much like the original with a couple tweaks.
    Thats what you WANT in a FPS sequel, If its exactly the same people bitch about nothing new, And if they change to much people bitch that it should have been released as a whole new game, and that the devs were just trying to cash in on the name.
    Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
    EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EternalInfinity0

It won in my mind.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By jakob187
    @JDDrewes said:
    " @InfiniteGeass said:
    From what I'm to understand, the competitive multiplayer thing is quite a toss-up between MW2, KZ2, and Uncharted 2.  As for "best shooter"...there are a LOT of shooters in the course of 2009.  As for co-op...there are plenty of better games from 2009 that had co-op, but I will say that Spec Ops was a great and fun mode.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rowr

Kind of funny for the what is the................

GAME OF THE DECADE!!!11!!!!

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

But uh yeh. We are beyond halo levels of hype.

Delta4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Delta4
    @JDDrewes said:

" @Delta4 said:

You mean to tell me that a sequel is similar to the first game, but with new features? "
      I don't count new weapons and maps new features. Basically nothing has changed. MW2 could almost be a user-made mod. And anyway, I wouldn't pay full price for different weapons, perks and maps that could easily be added to COD4 through DLC. No way I would pay full price for that short, crappy campaign either. If MW2 had substantial new features and a decent campaign, then it'd be worth $60.     
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Heartagram

Seriously guys i don't even care any more. I wish i never made this thread

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By Spiral_Stars
    @InfiniteGeass said:
    Gametrailers explained that Uncharted 2 wasn't original enough to warrant a higher score than it had. 

Although I don't think MW2 exactly blew away everyone with it's trailblazingly new concepts.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By FesteringNeon

For me it comes down to .. not only which is the better game, but what sets it apart from what's been done before. What innovation does it bring to the table? I can see both UC2 and Demon Souls winning the GOTY's. While I only own a PS3, i'm definately equal to all sides.  Hell I don't expect God of War 3 to win a GOTY, if they stick to the same formula.  

The reason I believe both UC2 and DS deserve the top picks, is the total package with UC2 done to a degree of detail like no other game before it. It sells the characters, movement and reaction is believable, and the camera work, stunts, and graphics are superb at this point.. and Demon Souls for something fresh, different, and an excellent sleeper IP, delivering an addictive and fresh take on the RPG genre, that will be bone picked  in 2010 by much larger companies, enfusing ideas from DS.  

Gears of War at the time deserved top honors when that game was released .. for sure! So badass, and I think Forza is taking racing in the right direction.. and i'm envious of you who own the game. 2010 is going to be a monster year for games.. However keeping in line with the topic.... 

I don't believe (while supposedly excellent) MW2 deserves GOTY either.  Does it have the right ingredients to be an addictive and outrageous game? Yes. Best multiplayer? Yes, More than likely...   But I can't help but feel like we've "been there, done that." The first go-round was just too huge for me.. it stormed in, and left me exhausted... Maybe in another year or so it would have been the fresh breath.. but then again, we could all be playing Battlefield 2, as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.