Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

do i even dare trying to get into the online?

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By graniteoctopus

havent play a second of it, but im hearing some very bad things about alot of modern warfare 2 players. is it really that bad?
    Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nitrocore

I've not played it in weeks so things may have changed. I did however rack up about 42 hours on my totaly online time before I stopped playing it though. I personaly never enccounted a single problem appart from the odd lagg here and there but nothing very damaging. The best thing you can do is try it, if you don't like it don't play it, then at least you tried. It did take me a few hours to get into it though, because I never played COD4 online.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By minotaka

Ha! I absoultely whored the crap out of the game for about a week or so, then the play time dwindled quite alot over the december period. I've never really had any problems on the pc, even the lag issues that plague most games, are fairly rare for me. Though your going to get really infuriated with the 'noob tubers' :)

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

If someone is annoying all you gotta do is highlight their name and push A, and bam their muted.  So if that's your only issue it shouldn't be a problem.

Or if I read your post wrong and you're talking about gameplay, no it isn't bad.  You might get in a glitched game or a game with someone who is glitching or something, but it happens so rarely I can't remember the last time I was in that kind of game.

The game is also pretty noob friendly.  Even if you're the worst player in the world you will still get a couple of kills each game.  You'll get better quick though.

ZombieKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ZombieKitty

I plug in my ipod, turn down in game music, and go to town. Honestly, if you can just ignore people, or mute them, or find some good buddies to play with, it's quite fun.
    mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mshaw006

Dude play it. It's really fun. People mostly talk trash about it because they've been doing poorly, and then they go play some more. It's really well done, sounds great, looks great, and plays great. I haven't had a single problem aside from one laggy game, and the people who talk about a certain weapon or strategy being cheap etc. are really just complainers.

doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doctorchin

I think people are more likely to write something about it when something bad happens than when something good happens.

I don't play that often but i've racked up qutie a few hours; it can be so fun but also so infuriating, although i think that's what makes it so fun.

Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alphawolfy

Well I had sorta the same thoughts before jumping in too, but trust me it's quite fun at least 80% of the time. And my connection is poor 90% of the time too, usually when everyone else is "Green" I have a "Red" connection (living in Taiwan and playing with US guys). I feel that if I can put up with that and have a blast with the multiplayer, then you should at least give it a try! :)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Captain_Insano

It's pretty enjoyable, I would recommend it.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony
    @ArchScabby said:
    " If someone is annoying all you gotta do is highlight their name and push A, and bam their muted.  So if that's your only issue it shouldn't be a problem.  Or if I read your post wrong and you're talking about gameplay, no it isn't bad.  You might get in a glitched game or a game with someone who is glitching or something, but it happens so rarely I can't remember the last time I was in that kind of game.  The game is also pretty noob friendly.  Even if you're the worst player in the world you will still get a couple of kills each game.  You'll get better quick though. "
    Couldn't have summed it up better myself.

MW2 was my first online FPS and while I felt super intimidated at first and got my ass handed to me, I'm consistently getting 3:1 or higher kill:death ratios now that I've gotten used to the mechanics and found builds that suit my play style. So yeah, even if you find yourself getting your butt kicked at first, you'll still be learning the maps and hiding spots and things will get easier once you learn all that.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

play it, multiplayer isn't bad. u might find a few glitchers but that is about it. the care package glitch where u can run so much faster then everyone else. u put light weight, marathon, commando pro, hold care package and just run around.

Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mr_Bubbles

Buy a Battlefield game instead.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Gabriel

Its pretty fun, be like Ice-T don't be a hater

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bubahula

its a blast

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Andorski

Mute all the players in the game and then play.  There is not a lot of ways to grief your own teammates, so it's only their foul mouths that can ruin your experience.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mrfizzy

Played it for about 3-4 weeks after i got it and havent touched it since. the odd thing is that i really dont know why i stopped, it sort of just became boring for me. 

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By evanbrau
    @Mr_Bubbles:  I don't know why people say this, the games couldn't be more different from each other. I prefer Battlefield but if you go to it expecting an alternative to MW2 you'll be dissapointed. I keep seeing people saying they are going to wait for Bad Company 2 instead of picking up MW2 but I think they'll be in for a surprise when they find its a class based, large scale shooter where dedication to the team means everything. (I love Battlefield and am really looking forward to BC2 so I'm not hating on those games, I love them I just don't think they should be reccomended as an alternative to Call of Duty).
    Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mr_Bubbles
    @evanbrau: I have Bad Company and 1943, I think I know what a Battlefield game is.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Edin899
    @ZombieKitty: @ZombieKitty said:
    " I plug in my ipod, turn down in game music, and go to town. Honestly, if you can just ignore people, or mute them, or find some good buddies to play with, it's quite fun. "
    You really do that?  So a whole enemy team can be behind you running around but you can't hear the footsteps because you gotta listen to miley cyrus.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

Yes, it will be very hard at first, you will die at first, but once you get some playtime in, you'll understand what you need to do and you'll improve a ton. Its a very different game from alot of other shooters, exposure is the best way to get better.
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RandomHero666

Just mute anyone who sounds like they're under 12 years old.. works like a charm

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm really not a big Call of Duty/Modern Warfare fan but I really enjoyed the short amount of time I spent in the multiplayer. Right from the start I did encounter idiots of every kind imaginable but with a little effort and my friend the mute button I was easily able to block them out and just enjoy the gameplay.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mano521

might as well get into it. you payed 60 bucks and the campain and spec ops are relatively short.      i would want to get my moneys worth if i was you

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evanbrau
    @Mr_Bubbles: No, not really. Play the pc games.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TwoOneFive

its not hard to get into man.  
    it seems rough at first because you'll die a lot, but once you realise dying a lot is normal and you start to get a grip on how you play (game mode rules, and map layouts) you will be doing just fine.  
    its one of the easiest games to get good at.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By natetodamax

Remove all valuable objects from the room because the multiplayer will cause you to break things.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By slax

Just try it out see if you like it.
    I really do and play it quite a bit, but I was really into COD4's multiplayer scene too.

JumpingRetards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JumpingRetards

If you learn to ignore people that annoy you will be more successful in life than if you don't.

Accomplish two things at once:  entertainment and self improvement.

Also a lot of retards on live are pretty funny.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By evanbrau
    @Mr_Bubbles:  You pretty much have not played the games that exemplify what Battlefield is. Bad Company is mainly single player focussed and didn't even ship with the mode Battlefield is most well known for and 1943 is a neutered mess.

In any case I don't imagine there is any point in arguing since even a slight disagreement with your viewpoint caused you to rage so thoroughly.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Don't listen to all these ignorant fools who claim it sucks because it has a few minor hacks and glitches. 

Give it a try and see if you like it first.

jokingknight22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jokingknight22

people are so quick to throw people under the bus when they see a person who is still ranked 1.  bottom line, if you bought the game, who gives a shit what they say.  alot of them do suck and say pretty shitty things.  put it this way...i have had it for PS3 since day 1.  just bought it for the xbox yesterday.  when i put it in, the people were talking shit about how i was going to be the reason that are team was going to lose...i came in 2nd and 3rd in 2 games and they all shut up.  just play if it is fun to you.  i would definately try it if you paid the money for it.  dont let all of the crappy online players discourage you.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Coombs
    Play with people your know,  Simple as that.
    XBL as with most online services is full of assholes.
    But playing with people you know AGAINST these assholes is immensely satisfying

@Mr_Bubbles said:

" @evanbrau: Wow, so because I've never played a PC Battlefield game, I've never played a Battlefield game!?  I could swear that it says BATTLEFIELD: Bad Company/1943. Wow, I guess I need glasses. "

Yeah, The battlefield series changed ALOT when it moved to consoles,
    And Bad Company sucked donkey balls IMO.
    I bought it on launch day and played it for a couple days and haven't touched it since.
    (I played BF2:MC for a couple years in a Clan, Until Bad Company came out.)
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Adamantium

Play it. it's fun. But people are sharp online now, so make sure to give it a good 5-10 hours before you make up your mind about it.

ZombieKitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By ZombieKitty
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @ZombieKitty:  @ZombieKitty said:
    " I plug in my ipod, turn down in game music, and go to town. Honestly, if you can just ignore people, or mute them, or find some good buddies to play with, it's quite fun. "
    You really do that?  So a whole enemy team can be behind you running around but you can't hear the footsteps because you gotta listen to miley cyrus. "

Really? Miley Cyrus? I'm not 15. I don't need to hear people walk up behind me, it's just not that important.
    Kojdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Kojdog

I played a little bit of MW2 onine (got something like 6% completion?) and had a good bit of fun even though I do not do that kind of gaming often at all.  You'll probably enjoy it for a few hours but move on to another game.  It is worth it.  

Just turn off voice chat.

Zerook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zerook

A majority of them are really annoying or horrible. They can be entertaining if you don't take them seriously.
    You can always just plug the mic in and ignore.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By btman

online is definitely worth it.  story was good nothing great but only 6 hours long. for me i bought mw2 for its online play which had its glitches at first but has been patched up nicely while still delivering great online play

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.