Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Help recovering from getting hacked to Level 70 on MW2 for PC

davide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By davide

Hi,

I've been hacked to level 70 10th Prestige on Modern Warfare 2. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first time I was so low level I just erased all my player info and started back from level 1. But after spending a lot of time with the game I'm hoping not to have to start over from nothing. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on how to fix this issue. I do not have any backups of MW2 data, but am trying to use the official steam support advice where you leverage the backups that the game itself generates (item number 2.2 here: 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297234&page=7)

Once this happened I threw out my player file from Steamapps/MW2/player to see if that would get me back to my original status which it didn't. Luckily I didn't empty the trash and now I have the copy of my Players file from right when the hack occurted as well as a new one that was created after I removed the aforementioned one.

http://img43.imageshack.us/f/croppercapture1.png/

http://img210.imageshack.us/i/croppercapture2.png/ 

The first image (Croppercapture1.png) is the picture of the new players file. The second is a screenshot of the old one. I know that the STAT and BAK files made on 1:40pm July 11th were created before I got hacked. But how do I make these the STAT and BAK files that MW2 uses?

If you look at the first image, you'll see that there are not one, but 4 STAT and BAK files all with the same time stamp. What's the proper course of action?

One further question: why is it that since getting hacked and throwing out my player file MW2 no longer creates new STAT and BAK files and instead just keeps overwriting the existing ones? If you look at the picture of my old player file its got tons of such files. I will load up MW2 and change the class load out or pop into a match and get a small bit of experience then quit but rather than creating new STAT and BAK files it just updates the four shown below. 

At this point I've lost all my single player data (putting a damper on any attempts at an S-rank) and have been assigned an absurd level in multiplayer, if I can't fix this I'm pretty sure I'll never play the game again. Which considering how much time I've already put into it, may not be a bad thing. Just wish it could have been on my own terms.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ClaritySam

I'm confused, someone hacked into your account and raised your level up to the maximum?  Is that a thing now?  It seems a little out there.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ChristianCastillo
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " flagged because  THIS is your 3rd post? yeah... "
    why would you  flag him because of that?
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sjupp
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " flagged because  THIS is your 3rd post? yeah... "
    That sounds like a stupid idea.

Also, bummer dude. I happened to join a server and got title-hacked. I completely reset my stats. And mention playing for a long time..

No Caption Provided
    davide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By davide
    @ClaritySam:@ClaritySam said:

" I'm confused, someone hacked into your account and raised your level up to the maximum?  Is that a thing now?  It seems a little out there. "

It's been a thing on the PC version of the game for a very long time unfortunately. Check out this thread: 
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297234. The problem is so rampant that Steam itself has issued an official fix for it (
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3991-EOAV-1596), unfortunately it has not been working. 

Also, thanks for the support Christian and Sjupp. I attempted to make sure that my post was not inflammatory, relatively well punctuated and clear. To see someone flag it was quite a surprise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.