Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Modern Warfare 2 Is Rad

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Slednecks!
    Slednecks!
    Behind closed doors at Activision, Infinity Ward is running demos that show more of the snowy sequence that's been previously revealed both at the Microsoft press conference and in bits and pieces during the trailer footage that was released in the run-up to the show. Watching the demo left me with a sense of quiet satisfaction. It's not a huge surprise. And the stuff shown so far doesn't immediately look like a huge departure. It simply looks great, and it looks like Infinity Ward is on the right track to make a fantastic follow-up to the original Modern Warfare.

The snow sequence, where the player takes on the role of Gary "Roach" Sanderson, is meant to appear early on on the campaign and serves as a first burst of tempo-changing action. You'll first have to climb up that icy cliff with previous series protagonist "Soap" MacTavish showing you the ropes and telling you what to do. You'll be armed with a silenced Bushmaster ACR with a flip-out side-screen that gives you a heartbeat sensor. As you'll be slowly making your way through a blizzard at an airfield, the heartbeat sensor gives you the jump on the bad guys. You can flip the sensor out and back at will by pushing left on the D-pad, but it's attached to the rifle. So if you're using something else, that won't be an option.

After silently eliminating some enemies, Soap takes up a sniper position while you work your way across the airfield to plant some explosives. This is right around the point in the demo when I noticed that the enemies drop customized weapons, sort of like the multiplayer in the previous game. So you'll find rifles with different attachments, like an AK-47 with a grenade launcher attached, or a FAMAS with a red dot sight.

After setting up--but not detonating--some explosives on the airfield, you meet up with Soap, watch him knife a dude, and head inside to download some data from a computer. While you head up to take care of that, Soap gets caught and is left surrounded by enemy troops with his hands on his head. He coolly tells you to go to "plan B," you detonate the explosives placed earlier, and all hell breaks loose. There's a cool slow-motion moment as the explosives light up the airfield and all the troops who were previously training gun barrels on Soap start flipping out and getting very disoriented. This is where you and Soap start mowing them down as you attempt to escape. And this is where the snowmobiles come into play.

Getting attacked by armed soldiers riding on the back of snowmobiles seems like it would be a very unpleasant experience. But not as unpleasant as getting run over by a snowmobile seems. The player died during our demo by taking one fast-moving snowmobile to his center mass. What you're supposed to be doing there is shooting the riders and gunmen off of the snowmobiles. Eventually you do that to two of the machines without banging them up too badly, giving you and Soap time to commandeer a pair of them and make a break for the extraction site. This becomes a pretty slick chase sequence where you have to steer your snowmobile while also dumping rounds out of a pistol to clear your path of enemy snowmobiles. There are tree-filled parts of the chase and some huge jumps that give the entire sequence a very action movie kind of vibe. You'll even ride the snowmobile over ice-covered lakes while a helicopter tries to shoot up enough of the ice to make you fall in. But, provided things go your way, you'll end up at the extraction helicopter. That's where the demo faded back to the title screen.

Infinity Ward isn't really saying a whole lot about the other parts of the game. They did say, however, that the voice work was placeholder. We also know that the action will shift between at least two different playable characters. We also know that the game is running on a new renderer with streaming technology built-in. This should allow for larger levels without sacrificing any up-close detail. Things like fire and explosions look great. Really, the whole thing looks great. It looks better in the ways you'd expect, and the sequence shown comes across as a larger battle with the pacing and feel of an action movie. All in all, it's a game that I would very, very much like to play. But, then, I felt that way coming in to E3. All this demo really shows is that, yes, Infinity Ward knows what it's doing. I'd say "look for it on shelves this November," but then you probably already knew that, didn't you?

Here's a bit we recorded immediately after seeing the MW2 demo:
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    Slednecks!
    Slednecks!
    Behind closed doors at Activision, Infinity Ward is running demos that show more of the snowy sequence that's been previously revealed both at the Microsoft press conference and in bits and pieces during the trailer footage that was released in the run-up to the show. Watching the demo left me with a sense of quiet satisfaction. It's not a huge surprise. And the stuff shown so far doesn't immediately look like a huge departure. It simply looks great, and it looks like Infinity Ward is on the right track to make a fantastic follow-up to the original Modern Warfare.

The snow sequence, where the player takes on the role of Gary "Roach" Sanderson, is meant to appear early on on the campaign and serves as a first burst of tempo-changing action. You'll first have to climb up that icy cliff with previous series protagonist "Soap" MacTavish showing you the ropes and telling you what to do. You'll be armed with a silenced Bushmaster ACR with a flip-out side-screen that gives you a heartbeat sensor. As you'll be slowly making your way through a blizzard at an airfield, the heartbeat sensor gives you the jump on the bad guys. You can flip the sensor out and back at will by pushing left on the D-pad, but it's attached to the rifle. So if you're using something else, that won't be an option.

After silently eliminating some enemies, Soap takes up a sniper position while you work your way across the airfield to plant some explosives. This is right around the point in the demo when I noticed that the enemies drop customized weapons, sort of like the multiplayer in the previous game. So you'll find rifles with different attachments, like an AK-47 with a grenade launcher attached, or a FAMAS with a red dot sight.

After setting up--but not detonating--some explosives on the airfield, you meet up with Soap, watch him knife a dude, and head inside to download some data from a computer. While you head up to take care of that, Soap gets caught and is left surrounded by enemy troops with his hands on his head. He coolly tells you to go to "plan B," you detonate the explosives placed earlier, and all hell breaks loose. There's a cool slow-motion moment as the explosives light up the airfield and all the troops who were previously training gun barrels on Soap start flipping out and getting very disoriented. This is where you and Soap start mowing them down as you attempt to escape. And this is where the snowmobiles come into play.

Getting attacked by armed soldiers riding on the back of snowmobiles seems like it would be a very unpleasant experience. But not as unpleasant as getting run over by a snowmobile seems. The player died during our demo by taking one fast-moving snowmobile to his center mass. What you're supposed to be doing there is shooting the riders and gunmen off of the snowmobiles. Eventually you do that to two of the machines without banging them up too badly, giving you and Soap time to commandeer a pair of them and make a break for the extraction site. This becomes a pretty slick chase sequence where you have to steer your snowmobile while also dumping rounds out of a pistol to clear your path of enemy snowmobiles. There are tree-filled parts of the chase and some huge jumps that give the entire sequence a very action movie kind of vibe. You'll even ride the snowmobile over ice-covered lakes while a helicopter tries to shoot up enough of the ice to make you fall in. But, provided things go your way, you'll end up at the extraction helicopter. That's where the demo faded back to the title screen.

Infinity Ward isn't really saying a whole lot about the other parts of the game. They did say, however, that the voice work was placeholder. We also know that the action will shift between at least two different playable characters. We also know that the game is running on a new renderer with streaming technology built-in. This should allow for larger levels without sacrificing any up-close detail. Things like fire and explosions look great. Really, the whole thing looks great. It looks better in the ways you'd expect, and the sequence shown comes across as a larger battle with the pacing and feel of an action movie. All in all, it's a game that I would very, very much like to play. But, then, I felt that way coming in to E3. All this demo really shows is that, yes, Infinity Ward knows what it's doing. I'd say "look for it on shelves this November," but then you probably already knew that, didn't you?

Here's a bit we recorded immediately after seeing the MW2 demo:
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Totally Rad, Totally Party.

I'm so ready for more COD goodness
    Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Colonel_Fury

I am very ready for this. If nothing else the single player seems to be awesome.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

Hope it doesn't break LIVE, like CoD 4: Modern Warfare did.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By SpinCookie

This game is turning out pretty well it seems.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

Like totally rad, dude. Question is though, is it as rad as Rad Racer being played with a Power Glove?

It's blatantly the motion detector from Aliens.

Cpt McTavish is primed for action, and so am I.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Kohe321

That live demo from the conference was fantastic. It looks like IW really has built upon everything that made modern warfare great.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Pibo47

Sounds pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sounding pretty cool, but the last COD game I actually liked was 2, maybe this will change my view.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Seeing as though that's a British mission, I am happy. It was cool seeing Soap being referred to as Captain, AND the homage to Captain Price, when he Captain McTavish clutches that bloke from falling just like Cpt Price did in CoD4. (Crew Expendable)  I get a James Bond 007 vibe from it :)

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By AndrewJD

Totally Modern, Totally Warfare.......2

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

Maybe Price is dead :(

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Sick

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm 'cited for this. The demo @ M'Soft was really cool. I'd been initially worried this was getting hyped beyond reason, but now I'm totally happy that it's going to be just as incredible as the last.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @natetodamax said:
    " Sick "

Jeff has already said it's rad, yet here you are confusing things saying it's sick. pfft 

At least meet his opinion halfway, "radsick" would have been more appropriate.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ht101
    @Hitchenson: It totally will break Live because everyone playing WaW will drop that game and pick up MW2 and everyone still playing MW will also pick MW2 up and Live will be broken again.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By rateoforange

Bolt action snowmobile to center mass. Gets them every time.

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrPerfect

Everytime I hear about Modern Warfare 2 or see the trailer for it I start drooling. I can not wait to get my hands on it.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Can't wait for MW2.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hitchenson
    @HT101 said:
    " @Hitchenson: It totally will break Live because everyone playing WaW will drop that game and pick up MW2 and everyone still playing MW will also pick MW2 up and Live will be broken again. "
    Not me, I'll be ODST'ing! :D
    putz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By putz

Have they or will they show off any of the multiplayer stuff at E3?

YoungBuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By YoungBuck

first day pickup for me

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daniel_beck_90

MW2 seems promising , the audio file was awesome as well  BEHIND CLOSED DOORS  ...Hell yeah .

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

I would love to have an ice-beard all year round.

Wait.... Soap is Price's son??

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eric_buck

Sled necks=a hilarious joke

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gizmo

I'm not sure about COD, after playing KZ2 the arcadey controls don't really cut the mustard for me.

Still a D.O.P though.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Meowayne

Everything you need to know:

It simply looks great, tempo-changing action, armed with a silenced Bushmaster ACR, rifle, eliminating some enemies, plant some explosives, enemies drop customized weapons, an AK-47 with a grenade launcher attached, or a FAMAS with a red dot sight, setting up--but not detonating--some explosives, surrounded by enemy troops, detonate the explosives, cool slow-motion moment, explosives, gun barrels, attacked by armed soldiers, shooting, gunmen, chase sequence, a very action movie kind of vibe, helicopter.
    Really, the whole thing looks great.

Good to see where the money and hype is going in this amazing new medium.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By MeatSim

Well it sure does look rad.

chapman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chapman12

appearently (forgive my spelling) cod mw 2 on xbox gets 6 extra maps

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24

This is going to be....AMAZING. I am looking forward to this very much.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By T0mF5

I was a little worried about it until I saw the E3 demo and now I am going to preorder the collectors edition.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By clubsandwich

as much as I enjoyed COD4: MW, I don't want this, I got sick of CoD already, they should just wait some time before realising another one already...

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Manks

Can't wait to get this game.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ket87
    @chapman12 said:
    " appearently (forgive my spelling) cod mw 2 on xbox gets 6 extra maps "
    Going off of what they said in the press conference 360 has early access to two map packs. They're not exclusive, 360 owners just get them earlier than PS3 owners will.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Azteck
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Seeing as though that's a British mission, I am happy. It was cool seeing Soap being referred to as Captain, AND the homage to Captain Price, when he Captain McTavish clutches that bloke from falling just like Cpt Price did in CoD4. (Crew Expendable)  I get a James Bond 007 vibe from it :) "
    I didn't even think about that one. That's a great homage to the late Cpt. Price.
    ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ocdog45

I herd this earlier. I dont even care. i just want to play the game.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

And I thought the trailer was awesome, 6 minutes of footage shows some pretty awesome stuff. And the fire burns even more!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Media_Master

This just reminds me to get the first Modern Warfare

youstolemykill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By youstolemykill

I watched demo few days ago, some truly incredible work from Infinity Ward, not that there previous games, which a slouch in anyway.

GuinessBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GuinessBandit

Oh yeah, spoilt for choice this year. Just finished MW on veteran, and now have Prototype, MW2, ODST, and the Halo:Reach beta to play. Oh baby!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.