Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Modern Warfare is Call of Duty

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Turns out that Modern Warfare 2 is a pretty dumb name for a video game.  It’s actually a bad name for pretty much anything.  When it was revealed that it would say Call of Duty on the box inerest in the product skyrocketed.  Now I’m not one to normally criticize others for giving something generic boring titles but, Modern Warfare 2 is a boring and generic title.  It sounds more like a description for a show on the military channel.  When was the last time you watched the military channel?  Probably never.  Because it’s boring.  They might as well have called it, “Shooting Guns 2: The Sequel to Shooting Guns”.  Modern Warfare works only as a subtitle because people expect subtitles to describe what the product is to a certain extent.  Just look at Call of Duty: World at War.  If it were just called “World at War” no one would ever want to play it.   What on Earth has propelled Infinity Ward to simply call it Modern Warfare 2.  There should be no controversy about this.  Since it’s now on the regular edition’s box you can call it what it is, a Call of Duty game.  Quit being all pissy because Activision lets another team work on games called Call of Duty.  There are enough people who realize that if the box doesn’t have the Infinity Ward logo on it that it’s not as good as a Call of Duty game can be.  Hell, calling it Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 would be better than just Modern Warfare 2.

For more great reading go here http://johndaniellewis.wordpress.com/

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Turns out that Modern Warfare 2 is a pretty dumb name for a video game.  It’s actually a bad name for pretty much anything.  When it was revealed that it would say Call of Duty on the box inerest in the product skyrocketed.  Now I’m not one to normally criticize others for giving something generic boring titles but, Modern Warfare 2 is a boring and generic title.  It sounds more like a description for a show on the military channel.  When was the last time you watched the military channel?  Probably never.  Because it’s boring.  They might as well have called it, “Shooting Guns 2: The Sequel to Shooting Guns”.  Modern Warfare works only as a subtitle because people expect subtitles to describe what the product is to a certain extent.  Just look at Call of Duty: World at War.  If it were just called “World at War” no one would ever want to play it.   What on Earth has propelled Infinity Ward to simply call it Modern Warfare 2.  There should be no controversy about this.  Since it’s now on the regular edition’s box you can call it what it is, a Call of Duty game.  Quit being all pissy because Activision lets another team work on games called Call of Duty.  There are enough people who realize that if the box doesn’t have the Infinity Ward logo on it that it’s not as good as a Call of Duty game can be.  Hell, calling it Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2 would be better than just Modern Warfare 2.

For more great reading go here http://johndaniellewis.wordpress.com/

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Akeldama
    No Caption Provided
    imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By imhuntad

I agree, Modern Warefare 2 is Innnncredibly generic and I can't believe they would have ever thought of keeping it like that by itself.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think Infinity Ward sort of want to do there own thing, and not be tied down by the Call of Duty name anymore. Yeah it would get less sales, but it would be it's own thing. Separate from the Treyarch games. I'm guessing there was a struggle between Activision and Infinity Ward on which way to go with the name. Activision wanted Call of Duty to be on there of course, because they love money, and statistics prove that twice as many would recognize the name Call of Duty on the box, and pick it up, over Modern Warfare.

So yeah, it was a crazy stupid thing, but I'm pretty sure it was because of internal struggle.

Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Drakhir

What?

As far as I know, MF2 is the sequel to MF so I see no reasons why it shouldn't be called Modern Warfare # as well. This happens with many games, for example, Fallout series.
    Now, MF is a game of the Call of Duty series, so why shouldn't MF2 have that in the box art?

Seriously. Apparently you only play games because of their title/boxart.

You make me wanna go armeoimaregarmgrahg. :|

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    @Drakhir:  Actually it was about how people find the Call of Duty name more recognizable.  You would have known that had you read the third sentence. 
    putz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By putz

I think I'm the only person who wanted a direct sequel to Call of Duty 3. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax

I for one love the military channel, so screw you buddy!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    @natetodamax said:
    "I for one love the military channel, so screw you buddy!"

I apologize not only to you but also to the military channel.  Their shows about Hitler's Bodyguard is certainly a show.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.