Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

MW2: Quest for the AC-130

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

I've had the itch to make use of the neat features GiantBomb offers its users. The Blog function has always been empty on my side, mostly because I'm a little fuzzy on the whole concept of a blog. As far as it seems you just fit a bunch of random stuff you're thinking about at the time. So I guess I'll start somewhere.

Basically, I've been really into Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer. Of course, I'm not that great so I never get hung up on winning or losing. It's all about unlocking the next gun or getting a cool new sight for the RPD or whatever weapon I'm working on. After playing through MW2's story mode I decided to go through Call of Duty 4's story mode (because I never played it before) and fell in love with the mission "Death from Above". The AC-130 Gunship level is probably one of the coolest experiences I've had in video games. Using aerial artillery to wipe the floor with dudes on the ground was hilariously awesome and made even better by the commentary from the gun crew (but don't hit the church). Then I realized that the AC-130 was a killstreak reward in MW2. Oh hell yes. 

Unforunately, the killstreak for the AC-130 is 11 kills. Considering the kind of hell you can rain down, I can see why. I think the most people I've ever killed online without getting wasted was 7 or 8. I've got Hardline Pro going for me, but it definitely won't be easy. Not to mention there are scary good people online, so it may be awhile before everyone else hears "Enemy AC-130 above!" and I'm the guy behind the guns.  

Still, I'm shooting for it.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

I've had the itch to make use of the neat features GiantBomb offers its users. The Blog function has always been empty on my side, mostly because I'm a little fuzzy on the whole concept of a blog. As far as it seems you just fit a bunch of random stuff you're thinking about at the time. So I guess I'll start somewhere.

Basically, I've been really into Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer. Of course, I'm not that great so I never get hung up on winning or losing. It's all about unlocking the next gun or getting a cool new sight for the RPD or whatever weapon I'm working on. After playing through MW2's story mode I decided to go through Call of Duty 4's story mode (because I never played it before) and fell in love with the mission "Death from Above". The AC-130 Gunship level is probably one of the coolest experiences I've had in video games. Using aerial artillery to wipe the floor with dudes on the ground was hilariously awesome and made even better by the commentary from the gun crew (but don't hit the church). Then I realized that the AC-130 was a killstreak reward in MW2. Oh hell yes. 

Unforunately, the killstreak for the AC-130 is 11 kills. Considering the kind of hell you can rain down, I can see why. I think the most people I've ever killed online without getting wasted was 7 or 8. I've got Hardline Pro going for me, but it definitely won't be easy. Not to mention there are scary good people online, so it may be awhile before everyone else hears "Enemy AC-130 above!" and I'm the guy behind the guns.  

Still, I'm shooting for it.

ProjektGill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ProjektGill

If you just want to use the AC-130, you should totally have Care Package and Emergency Airdrop equipped because you may get lucky by getting 4 or 8 kills and then ending up with one. Or you can use the standard Predator Missile to Harrier to Chopper Gunner/AC-130 combo.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

AC-130 is a pain to use in multiplayer. Trust me, once you get it and use it you'll hate it.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fwylo

I don't understand why people hate AC-130's so much.  If I see one come out, it gets shot down before it reaches 3 kills.  I just switch to my "Make it Rain!" Class.  ACR, ANY Rocket Launcher, Scavenger, Cold-Blooded Pro, Ninja Pro.  If more people would play as a team and sacrifice one round to shoot down an AC-130 or Chopper Gunner, they wouldn't be an issue.

Plus with Scavenger if you stay alive for a while you pick up more rockets to shoot down peoples UAVs and such...."You can shoot down, UAVs!!".

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dbz1995
    @Sarumarine: If you re a PS3 user, join our Bombing Run!

Also, if you get a Harrier, chances are you'll get an AC-130. And if you get a Predator Missile, chances are you'll get a Harrier. See what I'm getting at?
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Andorski

Some people are really good with the AC-130.  I myself cannot stand it.  With the amount of time it takes for your shots to hit the ground, you need to be effective in shooting where your targets are going rather than where they are at.  I just let my Harrier Strike and Pave Lowe take out as many people as they can, and hopefully, I will hit the 25 kill mark and get my nuke.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure

Like ProjektGill states If you are shooting for just the ac-130 I highly suggest running  predator missile/harrier/ac-130. Also depending on the gun I've found stopping power works better than hardline. Getting 5 kills is pretty easy then from there the ac-130 is a joke to get. Most predator missles are a free 2-3 kills on average if you're lucky which is a free harrier, which leads to a free ac-130 as you go hide somewhere. GL though!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I prefer the chopper gunner.  Easier to kill people with.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Getz

The AC-130 is definitely fun to use, and the best way to get it is to practice. If you like it, are engaged with the game so much, and keep playing it you'll mostly get it without too much problem. However, as many people have already said here, the chopper gunner is a more efficient killing machine. 

Then again, you said it's not about winning or losing, so just keep trying!

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skytylz

I  got 11 kill streaks in 2 games in a row the other weekend... its not too hard

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sarumarine
    @dbz1995:
    Thanks, but I have the X-Box version. I saw that topic though, and I'd totally post if I had a PS3.
    r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By r0k1ll
    @Getz said:
    " it's not about winning or losing "
    Hell yes it is.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Lies

Predator-Harrier-AC130

Should get you there fine, especially if no one shoots down the Harrier. With Hardline you only need four kills for the predator, which you can USUALLY get a double kill with. That brings you to six kills which gets your harrier- can usually kill one or two with the airstrike, and the hovering jet will get several more if it's not shot down.

Personally I'd recommend switching off of hardline if you're going for an AC130-- the bonus it provides is really only helpful for lower killstreaks. Throwing on Stopping Power or Danger Close will get you more kills.

Akshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akshun

*ASS CLAPPER 130. 

* Courtesy of YouTube. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By TheHBK

AC-130 was not that great for me.  Not at higher levels where people have cold blooded or something on so you can see everyone and they all run inside.  BUt its cool to use, though not amazing.
    I got it only through air drops though, since it is a bitch to get to 11 kills.
    But the first time I got it, I was playing Hardcord Team Deathmatch and a team mate called in an air drop.  I blew his brains out right before his drop came in and low and behold, it was an AC-130, I was super excited.  I just stole my teammates crate and got an AC-130, it was awesome.

CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CaptainTryHard

C'mon man I have faith!  

Start it off with either.. 
    1.) Predator or Precision Air strike (Many people favor the Predator but Precisions are great) 
    2.) Harrier  
    3.) AC-130 (I'm going to suggest the Chopper Gunner though because it is easily far more better and catastrophic) 

-Any gun will do 
    -For perks use 
    1.) Scavenger 
    2.) Stopping Power or Hardline 
    3.) Commando or Steady Aim 

Lastly play game types such as Domination/Demolition/Ground War/3rd Person Team Tactical 
     Have fun (:

Avatar image for collegefootballguy
    CollegeFootballGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Akshun said:
    "*ASS CLAPPER 130.  * Courtesy of YouTube.  "

haha I like smoove's videos 
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Illmatic

Protip: Mercenary Team Deathmatch players are considerably less campy and jumpy than regular Team Deathmatch players. It may be much easier to rack up kills in Mercenary Team Deathmatch to get that elusive AC-130.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Ah yes the AC-130. It packs quite the punch.

It's best to go for a kill-streak you know you can attain first. Like the Predator Missile (5), Harriers (7) then AC-130 (11). It's actually much easier than you may think. 

And when you get really good, use the old Harriers (7), AC-130 (11), and finally Nuke! (25) ; )

It just takes time to get used to. However if you want to get the chance to use the AC-130 sooner, use the UAV (3), Predator Missile (5) and then Emergency Airdrop (8) for a chance to get one in the care-package.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By IcySandman

AC-130 works great on certain maps, if you can get the big gun into a building, all of them will be gone (Like Skidrow).

Camp, get kills, move along with your team.  

Or get cold-blooded on and sneak around for a while, works for me.

Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Valco

Il be honest, the only reason I ever use the AC130 is for the pretty symbol you get for 50 call-ins. Its slow, inaccurate and frustrating to use. People will tell you they get 15 kills every single time they use one, but the truth is your lucky to get 6.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sarumarine

This is more of a general response to everyone. Thanks for the tips, I didn't know that kills from Harriers or Helicopters counted as part of your killstreaks. I know they give you points, but I didn't know they were still part of the chain.

As for the Chopper Gunner, I've gotten that twice already from Care Packages, but I haven't gotten the AC-130 yet which is why I'm going for it. As for how useful a gunship is, I haven't used it yet so I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mshaw006
    @Sarumarine: Just so you know, anything you get from a crate does not count towards your streak. I'm not sure if that includes sentry guns, but it definitely includes care packages and emergency airdrops. Any Harriers or Attack Helicopters you get from a dropped crate won't get you any closer to the AC-130.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

have fun getting that. i also have hard time getting that. the most iv'e done was harrier but enemies shot it down. once u get better it will work out.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thegoldencat7

I was much the same as you. I thought Id equip the AC130 even though I had no chance of ever getting it. But as you get better it gets easier, Ive had a few now and it never gets old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.