PC version now WORTHLESS. No mods OR dedicated servers!

#151 Posted by PapaLazarou (712 posts) -

FUCKING FAIL  

FUCK IF 

FUCK ACTIVISION 

FUCK COD
#152 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Darniaq said:

" @bjorno said:

" they were necessary changes required for the implementation of prestige mode which is a big part of the game. "
Why? I ask honestly. I have no idea. "
In previous COD games for PC, people were able to edit their unlock progress because the data was stored client side.  Even allowing dedicated servers would allow the servers to report anything they wished as far as progress.  The only workaround that would allow dedicated servers as well as progress would be something similar to the framework Valve as laid down as far as class achievement unlocking and servers in TF2, and that's far from perfect.

Obviously most PC gamers wouldn't trade dedicated servers for prestige or weapon unlocking, there was more to the decision than that.
#153 Posted by Fallen189 (4921 posts) -

I'm still going to buy it. It looks like an average enough game, and PC looks like the best avenue to play it on. No brainer.

#154 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@Diamond said:
"@jakob187:  You want to get mad at someone and put them down, here's the kind you should be after, and not me :

@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" no reason to buy it then... piracy is it ! "
I'm simply annoyed with you based on the fact that you only wish to look at all of this from a strictly business perspective rather than a gaming perspective.  So far, you haven't been able to list how a single one of the things that are GAMING related to the game are actually good without listing off how it's good for the BUSINESS side of things.  That's it.  If you feel I've PERSONALLY attacked you, I'm sorry for that.  I mean to try and have an honest discussion, but it's hard to argue the GAMING side of things when someone only wants to talk about the BUSINESS decisions of it.  Yes, they want to make money.  However, stunting innovative capabilities within the community who has continued to support your company for all these years...and even supported their lashing out at Treyarch...is seriously a goddamn travesty! 

As for people who want to pirate the game...I don't condone it.  However...I really don't know how I feel in this case.  An example needs to be set, a statement needs to be made.  Burning the community with this is pointless for anything other than the almighty dollar.
#155 Posted by Darniaq (43 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Darniaq said:

" @bjorno said:

" they were necessary changes required for the implementation of prestige mode which is a big part of the game. "
Why? I ask honestly. I have no idea. "
In previous COD games for PC, people were able to edit their unlock progress because the data was stored client side.  Even allowing dedicated servers would allow the servers to report anything they wished as far as progress.  The only workaround that would allow dedicated servers as well as progress would be something similar to the framework Valve as laid down as far as class achievement unlocking and servers in TF2, and that's far from perfect.  Obviously most PC gamers wouldn't trade dedicated servers for prestige or weapon unlocking, there was more to the decision than that. "
Oh, ok, that makes sense. Thanks.
#156 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

how is any of this crap could from a business side of things? screwing over loyal customers is not the way to go since pirates will find a way to pirate anything no matter what you do.

#157 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @Diamond said:

"@jakob187:  You want to get mad at someone and put them down, here's the kind you should be after, and not me :

@Ahmad_Metallic

said:
" no reason to buy it then... piracy is it ! "
I'm simply annoyed with you based on the fact that you only wish to look at all of this from a strictly business perspective rather than a gaming perspective.  So far, you haven't been able to list how a single one of the things that are GAMING related to the game are actually good without listing off how it's good for the BUSINESS side of things.  That's it.  If you feel I've PERSONALLY attacked you, I'm sorry for that.  I mean to try and have an honest discussion, but it's hard to argue the GAMING side of things when someone only wants to talk about the BUSINESS decisions of it.  Yes, they want to make money.  However, stunting innovative capabilities within the community who has continued to support your company for all these years...and even supported their lashing out at Treyarch...is seriously a goddamn travesty!  As for people who want to pirate the game...I don't condone it.  However...I really don't know how I feel in this case.  An example needs to be set, a statement needs to be made.  Burning the community with this is pointless for anything other than the almighty dollar. "
I already stated what I felt about the game.  COD4 is perfectly fine on 360, it's fantastic, almost perfect.  Hell, most other PC games have far worse netcode than COD4 had on 360.  That's my stance on dedicated servers for MW2.  I think PC gamers are overreacting in this case.  Dedicated servers are better, but they're not always necessary.  Basically it's not the end of the world in this particular case, IMO.  I guess I was trying to get the people who overreacted understand why this is happening.

I am extremely against piracy, I feel it's people who pirated PC games that's the sole reason I haven't had the experience with my new PC than I did in the past.  I blame those bastards for harming the platform I loved.  I blame casuals for changing Nintendo too.  If an example must be made, I think people shouldn't tolerate pirates on forums EVER.  You admit to pirating modern games, bam, insta permaban.  That's how I feel about it anyways.  I think too many people feel piracy is acceptable.
#158 Posted by lawlerballer (204 posts) -

this is complete BS , matchmaking is gay

#159 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@Diamond: Right, CoD4 was perfectly fine ON 360.  It was also perfectly fine ON PC.  Why fuck with a broken model? 

I can completely understand the point you are making.  From a BUSINESS perspective, it helps to cut down on pirating quite a bit, and putting it in conjunction with Steam does that even more so.  Adding matchmaking means that they can run everything from their side and take control away from the gamers.  When it comes down to it, every single thing that we are "bitching" about right now goes along with Bobby Kotick's mentality of "taking the fun out of video games".  With no dedicated servers, there is no dedicated community.  We just get lumped together with fucktards and have to deal with it.  It destroys what the PC has been about:  enjoying your games and having fun while developing a relationship with people who like playing the game with. 

I don't support this.  Plain and simple.
#160 Posted by The_Ish (481 posts) -
@ieatlions said:
" @Metal_Mills: Your argument is that your not buying " this piece of shit ." game  due to the fact that it doesnt have dedicated server support or mods. "
Yes, it is a piece of shit game if they can't do that.
#161 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2460 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @Diamond: Right, CoD4 was perfectly fine ON 360.  It was also perfectly fine ON PC.  Why fuck with a broken model?  I can completely understand the point you are making.  From a BUSINESS perspective, it helps to cut down on pirating quite a bit, and putting it in conjunction with Steam does that even more so.  Adding matchmaking means that they can run everything from their side and take control away from the gamers.  When it comes down to it, every single thing that we are "bitching" about right now goes along with Bobby Kotick's mentality of "taking the fun out of video games".  With no dedicated servers, there is no dedicated community.  We just get lumped together with fucktards and have to deal with it.  It destroys what the PC has been about:  enjoying your games and having fun while developing a relationship with people who like playing the game with.  I don't support this.  Plain and simple. "
How many "fucktards" have a grand gaming rig to play MW2? 
#162 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
How many "fucktards" have a grand gaming rig to play MW2?
I'm pretty sure he just meant you get grouped up with people you don't want to play with in matchmaking.  While if you can manually pick a server you can attempt to avoid them (not that they might not randomly join your server, or if you don't know which well maintained servers to join you'll be with them anyways).
#163 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL: There's plenty of them there, but they typically get kicked from the server quickly by an admin.  Now...that capability is not there.  It won't be as bad as the consoles...to start.  However, given that you can build a rig with parts from Newegg for about $600 - $800 that can play this perfectly fine (I'm assuming that solely based on the game using IW4 still)...and Christmas is right around the corner...I can see that number increasing substantially if it means that the kid won't have to leave his PC after trolling folks who are pissed about a dumbass move like having no dedicated servers.
#164 Edited by mhkjtha (429 posts) -
@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @jakob187 said:

" @Diamond: Right, CoD4 was perfectly fine ON 360.  It was also perfectly fine ON PC.  Why fuck with a broken model?  I can completely understand the point you are making.  From a BUSINESS perspective, it helps to cut down on pirating quite a bit, and putting it in conjunction with Steam does that even more so.  Adding matchmaking means that they can run everything from their side and take control away from the gamers.  When it comes down to it, every single thing that we are "bitching" about right now goes along with Bobby Kotick's mentality of "taking the fun out of video games".  With no dedicated servers, there is no dedicated community.  We just get lumped together with fucktards and have to deal with it.  It destroys what the PC has been about:  enjoying your games and having fun while developing a relationship with people who like playing the game with.  I don't support this.  Plain and simple. "
How many "fucktards" have a grand gaming rig to play MW2?  "
mw2 wont require a grand gaming rig considering the fact that itll be running on the same engine as mw1.
@jakob a pc to run this perfectly maxed out will be way cheaper then 600-800 if you run it in a common resolution like 1280x1024. have you forgotten how well mw1 ran?
#165 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@mhkjtha: Minimum specs haven't been released, and there have been improvements made to the IW4 engine.  Nonetheless, I don't expect those min. specs to be much more than CoD4.
#166 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2460 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @MAN_FLANNEL: There's plenty of them there, but they typically get kicked from the server quickly by an admin.  Now...that capability is not there.  It won't be as bad as the consoles...to start.  However, given that you can build a rig with parts from Newegg for about $600 - $800 that can play this perfectly fine (I'm assuming that solely based on the game using IW4 still)...and Christmas is right around the corner...I can see that number increasing substantially if it means that the kid won't have to leave his PC after trolling folks who are pissed about a dumbass move like having no dedicated servers. "

#167 Posted by Darniaq (43 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" @mhkjtha: Minimum specs haven't been released, and there have been improvements made to the IW4 engine.  Nonetheless, I don't expect those min. specs to be much more than CoD4. "

Yea, how much higher can they be really? PS3 and X360 haven't changed much, except gotten a bit more efficient to develop for.
#168 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

I don't like how IW has been approaching the pc release of mw2 as a whole, probably not buying it till dedicated servers are available.

#169 Edited by MAST (778 posts) -

Not surprising really. PC gaming is just not worth it anymore. It's not where the money is for a developer. So it's not really shocking to see more and more support dropped for the PC version of certain franchises. Console gaming is where it's at now, and i'd imagine you'll start seeing more and more discrepancy between console and PC in the future. 
 The only companies that are continue to go full-bore on the PC is Valve and Blizzard, and even Valve has started to delve into console's. Blizzard can get away with PC only because of their reputation, but then you have companies like Crytek who used to say they would never do anything for the console, that they were PC only, but what happened? They are now doing stuff for consoles as well. Mostly because of PC pirating, but i've also heard companies say that the PC market is just extremely small nowadays. Sucks, but that just seems to be the direction it's going.

The fact that people are now boycotting these lesser PC versions of games is just putting another nail into the PC gaming coffin.

/shrug

#170 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

I'm not a PC gamer, but that podcast was interesting. The disappointed reaction from  the hosts was really strong.

#171 Posted by ieatlions (708 posts) -
@The_Ish said:
" @ieatlions said:
" @Metal_Mills: Your argument is that your not buying " this piece of shit ." game  due to the fact that it doesnt have dedicated server support or mods. "
Yes, it is a piece of shit game if they can't do that. "
never said it wasn't .
#172 Posted by lawlerballer (204 posts) -

This really blows, matchmaking sucks. 

#173 Posted by Chromium (29 posts) -

Major Bummer.

#174 Posted by Crono (2620 posts) -

No dedicated servers?  FPS isn't even fun without dedicated servers.  I like drop-in games where I can join, play the WHOLE TIME as much as I want, needing to only stop for loading a new map.  Oh I also like the fact no one has an unfair advantage by having 0ms.  With matchmaking, at the end of every match you stop, wait in a lobby, and are taken out of the action for some sort of retarded intermission while the system "does its thing," and picks out a host who you have a 50/50 chance of being total garbage in terms of connection.  I hate this crap.  This is BACKWARDS.  An advancement would be to have ONLY DEDICATED SERVERS.  And I am talking on Xbox Live as well, you know, the place where you pay a monthly fee for peer-to-peer hosted games.  Total garbage.

#175 Posted by warxsnake (2626 posts) -

fuck em, ill play BFBC2 PC instead then. IW can go fuck themselves especially if this is activision's idea.

#176 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

the sales for the PC version of this game is going to bomb, then they will stop making the CoD franchise on the PC and start blaming piracy. Much in the same way that crytek did with Crysis.

#177 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1782 posts) -

I prefer matchmaking, despite its flaws.

#178 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -
@Chokobo said:
" okay.  no dedicated servers is complete bullshit for a PC game. "
#179 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Honestly the dumbest thing they could of ever done to the PC version of the game. Being 100% serious, they are better off at this point just not having a PC version, at all.

#180 Posted by Crono (2620 posts) -
@Gunner said:
" the sales for the PC version of this game is going to bomb, then they will stop making the CoD franchise on the PC and start blaming piracy. Much in the same way that crytek did with Crysis. "
#181 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Except they arent stopping development on the PC, and until heard further, will make their new engine get the best of the best of whichever platform they put it on.

#182 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -

Have any mainsteam video game blogs picked up on this story yet? It seems like this would be a big announcement.

#183 Posted by NevereatNirnroot (72 posts) -

it seems cod fans on the pc are getting the shaft, each week seems to bring a new thing fisrt the price hike then the delay now this. 

if anyone has been on the infinityward forum that place is going cazy, theres pages and pages of people cancelling pre orders and such it even went down for a while because of all the poeple who are pissed about this.
#184 Posted by Apathylad (3065 posts) -
@NevereatNirnroot: 

Just got back from there. They're also a lot of anti-PC users on there complaining about all the topics.
#185 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -
@Apathylad:
Here it is on Kotaku, with the expected reaction: 

Click Here    

#186 Posted by SunnyD (49 posts) -

Awesome! 12 years old  as the hoster, closed ports, no mods/plugins.  This is like when me and my friends try to play on a local server on L4D, we live not even 10 miles apart and getting 150 ping.

I already see a boycotting group on steam.

#187 Posted by noobeffect (111 posts) -
@MAST said:
" Not surprising really. PC gaming is just not worth it anymore. It's not where the money is for a developer. So it's not really shocking to see more and more support dropped for the PC version of certain franchises. Console gaming is where it's at now, and i'd imagine you'll start seeing more and more discrepancy between console and PC in the future.   The only companies that are continue to go full-bore on the PC is Valve and Blizzard, and even Valve has started to delve into console's. Blizzard can get away with PC only because of their reputation, but then you have companies like Crytek who used to say they would never do anything for the console, that they were PC only, but what happened? They are now doing stuff for consoles as well. Mostly because of PC pirating, but i've also heard companies say that the PC market is just extremely small nowadays. Sucks, but that just seems to be the direction it's going.  The fact that people are now boycotting these lesser PC versions of games is just putting another nail into the PC gaming coffin. /shrug "
One problem with your assertion, support isn't being dropped. In the webcast, Robert Bowling referred to the system being easier for the IW developers to support the platform. They are trading in user support in the form of mod tools and dedicated servers for official support. In other words, IWNet seems like it's going to be the method of distributing DLC to PC players which I'm sure Activision has always wanted to do considering the platform has received sponsored DLC packs for CoD4 and World at War, making them free for PC players. With the notion that this system could eradicate mod support, that will make DLC map packs even more appealing to PC users.
#188 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -
@pause422 said:
"Being 100% serious, they are better off at this point just not having a PC version, at all. "
That's pretty retarded.
#189 Posted by sandal_hat (98 posts) -

Yeah if there are no dedicated servers then I'm not picking this game up. I started on CoD 1 when it was PC only and now Infinity Ward is shafting the very fanbase that got their ip off the ground. I could have lived with being charged for maps and lived with them trying to shoehorn a Steam like client into the game to manage some of their community activities but this is ridiculous especially for people like me who's clan had practice servers and played in leagues on dedicated servers. This service will kill that freedom and ratchet you down to whatever "clan" features IW decides to put in. Anyway I hope this feature is stricken from the PC version so I can enjoy this game when it comes out.

#190 Posted by MAST (778 posts) -
@noobeffect said:
"They are trading in user support in the form of mod tools and dedicated servers for official support."

Ahh, I didn't know that. Makes sense. Of course they want money for their DLC. I guess what I said doesn't really apply to MW2, but I still think it applies to other PC games. I'm a long time, PC only gamer, and I recently made the switch to consoles this generation because I started noticing a huge difference in the quality and quantity of PC games versus console games. You just don't see stuff like Uncharted 2, for example, on PC's. The only thing I still play on a PC is RTS games and MMO's.
#191 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -
Yeah, no, its not.
#192 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@PowerSerj said:
" @pause422 said:
"Being 100% serious, they are better off at this point just not having a PC version, at all. "
That's pretty retarded. "
Not really.  With the information that came out today, and the obvious reaction it has received on the IW forums, I would guess that the PC version is as close to dead as it can get.  Just one small move like no dedicated servers kills SOOOO many capabilities for the game that are features and possibilities that matter to the PC community.
#193 Posted by SunKing (687 posts) -

I know this isn't a like-for-like comparison, but look at what's happened to UT3. That's a series that's now dead online. It's the community that keep these sorts of games going, and if there's a large backlash from the people who'd normally constitute the community, then this is only going to damage sales. Also, I am aware that sales haven't been stellar for CoD4 on PC and that piracy had something to do with it, but this is exactly the wrong method of encouraging people to buy the game.

#194 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Lol @ those saying they're "trading" support, like user support and developer support are mutually exclusive. Someone tell Valve they've been doing it wrong! DLC has absolutely nothing to do with having dedicated servers, and I don't see what's being "traded" there since nothing is being given in return. I guess there's a point with "trading" mods with DLC, but again, nothing has stopped games from having both in the past. Considering it's the same engine, more or less, they already had the tools just about ready and it would take little effort to bring them back.

Too many people who clearly aren't much into PC gaming responding here with their "facts"... The first 2 pages say all that needed to be said.

I can't wait to hear how piracy and NOT stupid decisions like this made MW2 sell worse than MW on PC, just how MW didn't sell as good on PC due to piracy and NOT because PC gamers have plenty more alternatives to play when it comes to a solid online FPS. Lol...

#195 Posted by gike987 (1720 posts) -

Do what people always do, singe an internet petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

#196 Posted by Lemmingzx (79 posts) -

Whenever it comes to multiplayer games on my consoles all I've ever wished for is a server browser of some description like in Gears of War.
Now even my PC games are going to be losing this to a matchmaking system! I am not a happy bunny.

#197 Posted by zudthespud (3278 posts) -
@Lemmingzx said:
" Whenever it comes to multiplayer games on my consoles all I've ever wished for is a server browser of some description like in Gears of War. Now even my PC games are going to be losing this to a matchmaking system! I am not a happy bunny. "
I agree completely, the first GoW had a perfectly fine server browser and they discarded it aand made users enter a lottery to see which mode they will play. Atleast in CoD games you can choose mode but still, it's a real douch move from Iw. 

I think the no mods or custom maps is the first step in the direction of making PC users pay for DLC.
#198 Posted by killdave (1074 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" I will not be supporting Activision in anyway, the only thing related to them that I will buy will be Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. "
LOL
I hate you, I hate you !!
I boycott you !!
I boycott you !!
But I'll still buy your products...
#199 Posted by Spacetrucking (940 posts) -

Did he give any reason as to why they are changing the model ? I don't see a big change in the way I play the game either way but whats wrong with dedicated servers ?

#200 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -
@zudthespud said:
" @Lemmingzx said:
" Whenever it comes to multiplayer games on my consoles all I've ever wished for is a server browser of some description like in Gears of War. Now even my PC games are going to be losing this to a matchmaking system! I am not a happy bunny. "
I agree completely, the first GoW had a perfectly fine server browser and they discarded it aand made users enter a lottery to see which mode they will play. Atleast in CoD games you can choose mode but still, it's a real douch move from Iw.  I think the no mods or custom maps is the first step in the direction of making PC users pay for DLC. "

Except for the part where you couldn't even play with your freinds in ranked games unless you did some co-operation and get lucky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.