Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Quantity > Quality

Gap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By Gap

I was one of those few members of the gaming community who stuck to their guns and didn't buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2; the lack of dedicated servers was a spit in the face of the PC gaming community and the fact that this was simply Bobby Kotick milking an already long dead cash cow put me off completely, I went back to World at War or Call of Duty 2 like others did.  

But your average casual gamer doesn't care what they're doing to the franchise nor do they care about the quality of the game, if it's what their friends are playing or if it's popular they will buy it, with a similar mentality to that of a sheep. 
    The majority of my friends purchased it and yes I did feel left out while they sat there yelling about "dual shotties" and gunships, it made me question whether I myself should really care about the quality of the games I purchase anymore considering aslong as the mainstream of people keep buying tripe, companies will keep making tripe. 

Should i just fall in line and accept it that in this world the quantity (of units sold) is more important than quality in terms of products?

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By No0b0rAmA

There are still plenty of great quality developers who still make great games. Bioware, Bethesda, Relic, Valve, Blizzard, Creative Assembly and many more still push forward the PC gaming industry forward.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Gizmo

You know I had a similar question to ask myself when I was debating whether to subscribe to Warhammer Online or WoW. I found WAR to be a ton more enjoyable, but none of my friends play it. 

I decided to just go for it, and go for the more enjoyable game.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikeeegeee

Well, if it's of shitty quality, it's not going to sell large quantities. Clearly MW2 has some sort of redeeming value. It's just not for me, and it appears it's not for you either.

The Sims is one of the highest selling PC games of all time. Everyone and their mom had that game. But I wasn't a fan. I felt completely stressed out trying to make my sim sleep, eat, do his chores, flirt with women, go to work, have fun, shower, etc, etc, etc ad infinitum all by day's end with hopefully a few seconds left to spare so that he could take a shit. Not my game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

You should play what you want.  Who cares if a game you're playing isn't a top seller as long as you're having fun with it?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjupp

You should definitely play the more enjoyable game, but having tons of friends can make other games even more so.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes, businesses exist to make money and provide people with jobs and an income. This is how everything in this world works. 

No need to be so grim about the whole thing though, companies like Blizzard, Bioware and Valve continue to make huge profits and churn out top quality games all at the same time. And yes, you definitely missed out, MW2 is a highly enjoyable FPS and a quality product. Even if its similar to its predecessor and lacks dedicated servers. Also, the comment about spitting in our faces made me cringe. From one PC gamer to another: get over yourself.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @S0ndor said:

"Yes, businesses exist to make money and provide people with jobs and an income. This is how everything in this world works.  No need to be so grim about the whole thing though, companies like Blizzard, Bioware and Valve continue to make huge profits and churn out top quality games all at the same time. And yes, you definitely missed out, MW2 is a highly enjoyable FPS and a quality product. Even if its similar to its predecessor and lacks dedicated servers. Also, the comment about spitting in our faces made me cringe. From one PC gamer to another: get over yourself. "

MW2 is a highly enjoyable FPS  "  
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax
    @S0ndor said:
     And yes, you definitely missed out, MW2 is a highly enjoyable FPS and a quality product
    If you enjoy dying every three seconds from AI controlled helicopters, campers, and people stabbing you from 6 feet away.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
    " @S0ndor said:
     And yes, you definitely missed out, MW2 is a highly enjoyable FPS and a quality product
    If you enjoy dying every three seconds from AI controlled helicopters, campers, and people stabbing you from 6 feet away. "
    Arcady shooters shooters lend themselves well to those things. Those who can't cope need not apply. 

Anyway, I got bored of the game around the end of January so I don't even know why we're talking about it.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora

Eh. Don't worry about it, Black Ops has dedicated servers. That has some redeeming quality.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpiralStairs

Modern Warfare 2 is among the best FPS games ever made based solely on the shooting. The online is good fun to, at least on consoles.

But, apparently it's the cool thing to hate it now.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Gap: There is quality in the game. i know what you mean when you display those arguements, i am myself a hardened PC gamer, the lack of dedicated servers is nothing less then an insult. 

However, if you can get past the bullshit, there is many hours of fun to be had in MW2. Try it out, you might like it.
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By aurahack
    @No0b0rAmA said:
    " There are still plenty of great quality developers who still make great games. Bioware, Bethesda, Relic, Valve, Blizzard, Creative Assembly and many more still push forward the PC gaming industry forward. "
    This.  /thread
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

Do what you enjoy doing.

Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Camurai
    @Hailinel said:
    " You should play what you want.  Who cares if a game you're playing isn't a top seller as long as you're having fun with it? "
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Godlyawesomeguy said:
    "I stand up and call my friends mindless sheep "
    I bet your friends just loooove you.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorWelch

Thats the problem with having friends that only play those types of games. A lot if not all of my friends are the same way. All they play are shooters and sports games which inevitably lead me to play hours upon hours of MW2 even though I decidedly hate that game. I eventually got Bad Company 2, and although I think it is a better game, it's just not nearly as fun if your playing alone. Playing a game with others that you know can make even a shitty game much more fun.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

yep, it's that companies want to make more money. i do know what you mean by a slap in the face. companies don't care to much about PC games because of consoles. i was excited for alan wake for PC until i heard that it wasn't going to be made. i was disappointed by that. 

black ops is coming out in novemeber. hopefully it is going to be great. i think treyarch make great addons to the call of duty games that don't get added after them. world at war had some good things but infinity ward didn't add that to modern warfare 2.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By WickedCestus

Well, I think it was a really good game, but if you pride principle above gameplay, then OK! I'm doing the same for Black Ops!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@SpiralStairs said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 is among the best FPS games ever made based solely on the shooting. The online is good fun to, at least on consoles.   But, apparently it's the cool thing to hate it now. "
    You have to stop assuming that everyone who hates on MW2 is just hating on it because its popular. It has legitimate problems as well as several gameplay issues that can completely turn people away.
    zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By zepp

I think a lot of the MW2 hate is the result of people realizing that they just suck at playing FPS's, or at least, this game. It's one of the main reasons I'm not really a fan of the game. Don't get me wrong I play the game and all, do I enjoy playing it? Yes and no. I really enjoyed the campaign, which is probably because I could stay alive for more than a minute at a time.  And I enjoy playing the multi player when I'm playing with some one who is at about the same skill level. I suck, so this rarely ever happens. It's just no fun getting killed by all the stupid kill-streak rewards over, and over, and over again. I could defiantly see the game being fun If I was at the other end of this spectrum, by that I mean actually getting the opportunity to use the kill streak rewards. This is why I generally avoid the game, but I can understand the appeal of it and it is fun to play with friends.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By audiosnag
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @SpiralStairs said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 is among the best FPS games ever made based solely on the shooting. The online is good fun to, at least on consoles.   But, apparently it's the cool thing to hate it now. "
    You have to stop assuming that everyone who hates on MW2 is just hating on it because its popular. It has legitimate problems as well as several gameplay issues that can completely turn people away. "
    This. x1000

For the first few months i absolutely loved that game. I still think it has some of the best feeling combat and gun models of any shooter, but i couldn't take the bugs/cheating/glitchers. The last straw was a game of domination and someone on my own team was doing the Emergency Air Drop glitch over an over and i just thought "this is freakin retarded" and left.

As for the OP that's cool you stuck to your guns. Play what you want whether its the game none of your friends bought or it is. Whatever you enjoy doing thats all that matters.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JoelTGM

BLACK OPS WILL HAVE DEDICATED SERVERS.  Don't worry, Black Ops is going all out and filling in the spots where MW2 was lacking.  Black Ops will have dedicated servers and also fix some other lousy things that MW2 had like secondary shotguns/machine pistols, and the commando perk that let people knife you from far away like the plasma sword in Halo.  Keep doing what you're doing though.  If you think a company is being lazy, don't give them your money.  Don't do the boycott thing where you force yourself to miss out on great products, but if you came to play on dedicated servers, and they skimped out on that feature, then don't pay for that.   

fourby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fourby

I picked it up when it came out and enjoyed it for a few months. There's nothing wrong with the game, on the technical side its a very polished product. I was an alright player, nothing special, but I could hold my own most of the time. I eventually just needed to move on to different games, so I traded it for a copy of Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley and never looked back. (It was a gift for my girlfriend)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Shadow

Modern Warfare 2 is better than the original in every single way other than story.  By sticking to CoD4, you're only hurting yourself.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShaunassNZ

My two cents. I told all my friends "No, fuck MW2, it can eat shit and die for all I care.", less than a week after the release I bought it for 360 and had a joyous amount of fun. Comes to the release of RDR and it's sold, it hadn't been played for a very very long time, and with the money from MW2 I got RDR for the same price I sold MW2 for. I hear about Black Ops and again can't be fucked, but with MW2 it was because of the lack of dedicated servers and all the rest of that shit, Black Ops was because MW2 was shit. Only a few weeks ago, I learnt Black Ops had dedicated servers, and now I'm thrilled to have it pre-order for PC and actually I'm REALLY excited. 

I just hope that RC car thing doesn't piss me off once I get my Tactical Hiroshima (you heard it hear first).

JeffEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JeffEater
    @No0b0rAmA: YES

Stick to your guns. Don't give up. Bobby Kotick is an asshole and there is no way you should give in a play MW2. Play Battlefield,as DICE has stayed faithfull to the PC platform! Don't give in! You might think it ain't much,but just hold on just a little bit longer because the PC community is at the very edge of existance,and the PC community isn't giving up on mods and dedicated servers. By the end of the year,we will have our thing :)!
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By metalmoog

Big companies will always make money, and do things consumers find unethical.  I don't care enough about the publisher politics, to limit my gaming experience.  I find MW2 to be a better and more enjoyable game than both CoD4 and W@W so have bought it for both consoles, and play it regularly.  Regardless of whether I buy this game or not, Activision are rich and will continue to make heaps of dough as every studio does.  Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a wonderful game also and offers a completely different experience to the arcadey CoD games, but is slower and more plodding with not as much unlockable incentives and addictive factor as the CoD games.  Yes, they feel like a grind just like WoW did sometimes, but are ultimately still fun.  EA are bastards, Activision are bastards, Infinity Ward are bastards.  Any large corporation that makes shitloads of money off consumers are always going to be the subjects of massive criticism, it's easy to point the finger at the  big successful top dogs.  They make money and are successful because they often will do things everyday regular ethical people won't.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jkz
    @Hailinel said:
    " You should play what you want.  Who cares if a game you're playing isn't a top seller as long as you're having fun with it? "
    I agree with this. On the other hand, looking down on people just because they enjoy something popular is equally childish and dumb.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By vidiot
    @Gap said:

Should i just fall in line and accept it that in this world the quantity (of units sold) is more important than quality in terms of products? "

Absolutely not. Don't anyone tell you differently. If you can find realistic reasons to not enjoy something, then yeah it's still fine to vocalize obvious problems. MW2 has obvious problems. Giant problems. Problems you can sail a fucking cruise-ship through.

Someone bought MW2 for me when it came out. A transaction was most certainly made and I contributed, one way or the other, to MW2's ludicrous success.
    Played through the campaign twice. Played multiplayer at friends house. Hated the single-player, loved the multiplayer. 
    Had moments in which I starred at some reviews, and wondered if me and the editor in question played the same game.

This isn't about hating a game for the sake of it's popularity, there are problems with this game that most certainly counter it's initial pre-release hypeapalooza. (The word "hypeaplaooza" is copyright vidiot 2010) 
    People seem to forget about the lack of dedicated servers, and Infinity Ward's middle-finger to the PC gaming community. We're supposed to be now focused on hating Activision, and they're great quest to rid the world of fantasic highly talented individuals who make money for them. (I would post a giant list here of Activision's grievances against humanity, but it would go on six pages and were getting a bit off-topic.)  

If anything I'm more blown-away that you stuck it-out not playing that game. If memory serves correct, a lot of self-proclaimed people who screamed boycott gave in anyway. You didn't like being played with and you had the balls to stick it out. Good for you. Seriously. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.