Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Reply to the IWnet "No Dedicated Servers"-deal and a huge rant

gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By gditz

DISCLAIMER:

This turned into more of a why "PCs are better than your damn vidyahgahmesystahms!" old-man-rant . If you are however, bored and want to read a somewhat provocative piece, then please continue.

PC versus Console

I am and will most likely always be a PC "gamer". It doesn't just have to do with the extreme number of things you can use a computer for BESIDES gaming (No, not that kind of "stuff" you creepy dude/dudette) like chatting, working, purchasing or perhaps even listening to music. Sure, most if not all of these things can be done on the consoles. I cant deny that, but to what extent can you do that without being locked out? Since all consoles have a very basic level of settings and tweaks you can perform on it without breaking your warranty, would you really want to try?

Want to play an great .mkv video file on your PS3? Oh I'm sorry, cant help you. 

You want to chill to a sweet .flac music file? This is a 360, not jukebox.

You've got cute images of your dog in .raw format and want to show them on a Wii? Good luck sir. 

Not to be all "And thats why PCs are the best! lolz" but all of the above issues can be solved on a PC. None of the actions work on a default Windows, Linux or Mac but with tuning, configuring, a bit of swearing and a  miracle from time to time, you can get most anything to work and that's without changing OS or modding the hardware. Now, I am sure there are solutions that can be used on the console but not all of them. And thats because Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have placed you inside "their" world.

You are powerless to act. What if PSN suddenly cost a subscription fee? What if Xbox Live suddenly doubled in cost? What if Wii suddenly made the Friend Codes 5 times longer? Sure you can say "I wont play into your hands!" and end your subscription/usage of said console but you have already paid for it. Sure, Microsoft could set a subscription fee for Windows OSes but the difference is that there are many options when it comes down to choosing an OS. Some of which are free. 

You have a choice, to either pay or go another route but on a console, there's only one bridge and if that don't work, then you'd better get swimming. 

To be fair, PCs have a lot of weak points, A LOT, and since I don't want to favorize lets mention a few.
    Weakness to viruses - You download installs, .zip files and much more from sometimes shady websites. Some users can avoid viruses but with a console its all protected by the "Gods" of the console marketplaces.
    Easy to install - On a PC it can take a long time to install something with many stops along the way, on a console its usually just a click away. (Ad-campaign material? I scare myself sometimes).
    Troublesome to develop for - With so many different set-ups and rigs its hard to know what specs to target for a game that's going to take 2 years to make. On a console you have the specs and you go with em.
    More expensive - If you want to play the same games as a on console, on similar settings, you will most likely have to pay at least twice the price of any console.

Fair enough? Probably not but at least I tried. Now, on to the real subject:

Dedicated servers or Not?

Having play quite a fair bit of CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1) on the PC I can't say that the server browser was ever a big trouble for me. Sure it could have used some tuning up but it was manageable. Now you are telling me that you are going replace it with a matchmaking service like Valve did with L4D? I don't like the sound of this...

I think that dedicated servers are a great way for the community to get involved in the game and raise the hype and awareness of it. Just look at Team Fortress 2 and its server browser. It has a good filter, a decent UI and it works. Then again I may just be one of those players who are picky about what map, what kind of server and what kind of ping (yes, only pr0s care) and the name and matchmaking doesn't really lead to the same social interactions. 

Have a favourite server you like to play on that has funny or cool people on it? Sorry, you have to add all of them for you to play with them. 

Summary

I think that the audience for the different services (Console and PC) have different needs and tastes and I also believe that trying to integrate the two groups is ludicrous. Let console gamers have their matchmaking and PC gamers their dedicated servers.

~Simon 'probably-going-to-buy-MW2-either-way' Grunditz 
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gditz

DISCLAIMER:

This turned into more of a why "PCs are better than your damn vidyahgahmesystahms!" old-man-rant . If you are however, bored and want to read a somewhat provocative piece, then please continue.

PC versus Console

I am and will most likely always be a PC "gamer". It doesn't just have to do with the extreme number of things you can use a computer for BESIDES gaming (No, not that kind of "stuff" you creepy dude/dudette) like chatting, working, purchasing or perhaps even listening to music. Sure, most if not all of these things can be done on the consoles. I cant deny that, but to what extent can you do that without being locked out? Since all consoles have a very basic level of settings and tweaks you can perform on it without breaking your warranty, would you really want to try?

You've got cute images of your dog in .raw format and want to show them on a Wii? Good luck sir. 

Not to be all "And thats why PCs are the best! lolz" but all of the above issues can be solved on a PC. None of the actions work on a default Windows, Linux or Mac but with tuning, configuring, a bit of swearing and a  miracle from time to time, you can get most anything to work and that's without changing OS or modding the hardware. Now, I am sure there are solutions that can be used on the console but not all of them. And thats because Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo have placed you inside "their" world.

You are powerless to act. What if PSN suddenly cost a subscription fee? What if Xbox Live suddenly doubled in cost? What if Wii suddenly made the Friend Codes 5 times longer? Sure you can say "I wont play into your hands!" and end your subscription/usage of said console but you have already paid for it. Sure, Microsoft could set a subscription fee for Windows OSes but the difference is that there are many options when it comes down to choosing an OS. Some of which are free. 

You have a choice, to either pay or go another route but on a console, there's only one bridge and if that don't work, then you'd better get swimming. 

To be fair, PCs have a lot of weak points, A LOT, and since I don't want to favorize lets mention a few.
    Weakness to viruses - You download installs, .zip files and much more from sometimes shady websites. Some users can avoid viruses but with a console its all protected by the "Gods" of the console marketplaces.
    Easy to install - On a PC it can take a long time to install something with many stops along the way, on a console its usually just a click away. (Ad-campaign material? I scare myself sometimes).
    Troublesome to develop for - With so many different set-ups and rigs its hard to know what specs to target for a game that's going to take 2 years to make. On a console you have the specs and you go with em.
    More expensive - If you want to play the same games as a on console, on similar settings, you will most likely have to pay at least twice the price of any console.

Fair enough? Probably not but at least I tried. Now, on to the real subject:

Dedicated servers or Not?

Having play quite a fair bit of CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1) on the PC I can't say that the server browser was ever a big trouble for me. Sure it could have used some tuning up but it was manageable. Now you are telling me that you are going replace it with a matchmaking service like Valve did with L4D? I don't like the sound of this...

I think that dedicated servers are a great way for the community to get involved in the game and raise the hype and awareness of it. Just look at Team Fortress 2 and its server browser. It has a good filter, a decent UI and it works. Then again I may just be one of those players who are picky about what map, what kind of server and what kind of ping (yes, only pr0s care) and the name and matchmaking doesn't really lead to the same social interactions. 

Have a favourite server you like to play on that has funny or cool people on it? Sorry, you have to add all of them for you to play with them. 

Summary

I think that the audience for the different services (Console and PC) have different needs and tastes and I also believe that trying to integrate the two groups is ludicrous. Let console gamers have their matchmaking and PC gamers their dedicated servers.

~Simon 'probably-going-to-buy-MW2-either-way' Grunditz 
    intercryllic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By intercryllic

You basically have the same stance on the game as I do. I appreciate how you went about this, maybe people who are unsure about why the PC community is in such an uproar about the the mess will understand after reading this. 

Im still debating whether or not to buy it on 360 or PC.
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gditz
    @Intercryllic said:

" You basically have the same stance on the game as I do. I appreciate how you went about this, maybe people who are unsure about why the PC community is in such an uproar about the the mess will understand after reading this.

We can only hope that my mad thoughts will bring some amount of order to the chaos that is the ever-lasting debate over what is "best", I doubt it though. Letting the user have control instead of letting some AI look for "good" games is in my mind better even if it requires more actual input from the user.

@Intercryllic said:

" Im still debating whether or not to buy it on 360 or PC.  "

I am sort of in the same boat as you are. My PC doesn't have the hardware for handling the normal settings on most new games but on my console I know it will work. This advantage is however countered by the fact that I can't use joysticks for aiming. I just can't get used to it so I will probably get the version which lets me have a mouse, not a gamepad.

Thanks for your taking the time to read my craziness, I know I probably wouldn't ;)
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Do we really need more topics about this?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Out_On_Bail

These PC Elitists are really getting old.  While I agree that not having dedicated servers for MW2 sucks, I don't think that's a good enough reason to make a post like this.  Go sign the online petition and move on.  

You took more time to explain why you make love to PC's and why you shit on consoles then you did with the actual point of your post.

gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gditz
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: Kind of an odd question to ask really. If you think that I shouldn't post MY thoughts on MY blog then I would say that you have gotten something completely wrong. I am merely writing up MY thoughts and hope that someone will find them worthwhile and if you think thats wrong well.... I don't really care. 

Did you even bother to read the whole thing?
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gditz
    @Out_On_Bail: I take it you missed the giant "Disclaimer" in the top?
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @Gditz: No I saw it so I knew what to expect, that doesn't change the fact that it's still getting old. I understand your grievance, but what are you accomplishing with a post like this? 
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gditz
    @Out_On_Bail: My goal is only to vent my frustration and see if there are others who feel similarly. Like I stated before, I will probably buy MW2 regardless of how the online deal turns out since I loved not only the multiplayer in CoD4 but also the singleplayer. I might even buy it for my console, who knows.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Gditz said:
    " @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: Kind of an odd question to ask really. If you think that I shouldn't post MY thoughts on MY blog then I would say that you have gotten something completely wrong. I am merely writing up MY thoughts and hope that someone will find them worthwhile and if you think thats wrong well.... I don't really care.   Did you even bother to read the whole thing? "
    It's that there have so many topics on this subject. Talk about over saturation. 
    One 
    Two 
    Three 
    Four 
    Five 
    Six 
    Seven 
    Eight 
    Nine  
    And of course this one. They're all essentially talking about the same thing...
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RsistncE
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " These PC Elitists are really getting old.  While I agree that not having dedicated servers for MW2 sucks, I don't think that's a good enough reason to make a post like this.  Go sign the online petition and move on.   You took more time to explain why you make love to PC's and why you shit on consoles then you did with the actual point of your post. "
    Or you know, you could STFU and not post in the thread if you don't like it? That's always an option.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Baillie
    @RsistncE: Good addition to this unneeded thread! 
    @Gditz: Thanks for this thread, I'm sure having as many as these as we can is the BEST way to go about the situation. 

Seriously guys, why vent? I can see the annoyance of having your games without dedicated servers, but dude.. The PC market had to get into some sort of control at some point. They're making money, they're stopping pirates, they're doing what IMO is the way forward, hopefully there will be a way to get some sort of balance, this is a good step in the right direction. Lets hope they see this and take more of a Valve approach later on?
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RsistncE
    @Baillie said:

" @RsistncE: Good addition to this unneeded thread! 
    @Gditz: Thanks for this thread, I'm sure having as many as these as we can is the BEST way to go about the situation.  Seriously guys, why vent? I can see the annoyance of having your games without dedicated servers, but dude.. The PC market had to get into some sort of control at some point. They're making money, they're stopping pirates, they're doing what IMO is the way forward, hopefully there will be a way to get some sort of balance, this is a good step in the right direction. Lets hope they see this and take more of a Valve approach later on? "

Are you still one of the retarded, deluded individuals here who don't understand the significance of dedicated servers?

The Valve approach? Valve has never gotten ridden of dedicated server support ever. Why? They're not fucking morons and realize that dedicated servers are the life blood of online gaming on the PC.

I can guarantee you this move will increase the amount the game is pirated by, they will make less money also because many PC gamers are going to play something else on the PC that doesn't suck balls (L4D2 probably) and all they will have really managed to do in the end is piss off a lot of people because they've definitely lost at least 100K in unit sales.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not sure if you geniuses noticed, but it's a blog post and I believe the man is entitled to rant in his blogs at his own will. If you don't like this topic, THEN DON'T FUCKING CLICK ON THE LINK. It really is that simple.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baillie
    @RsistncE: No need to be a dick. 

Anyway, all of the guys who have signed the petition, cried over the changes are all going to buy the game and have a great time. I can guarantee it. The people who are that upset and don't buy the game will be left out in the cold. Activision aren't going to care, no one is. You're 100k estimate is a nothing considering the fact everyone and they're dogs will be buying this game.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RsistncE
    @Baillie said:
    " @RsistncE: No need to be a dick.  Anyway, all of the guys who have signed the petition, cried over the changes are all going to buy the game and have a great time. I can guarantee it. The people who are that upset and don't buy the game will be left out in the cold. Activision aren't going to care, no one is. You're 100k estimate is a nothing considering the fact everyone and they're dogs will be buying this game. "
    No they won't be, I don't think you get it. This isn't a L4D2 style boycott. This is basically saying "man this game is useless to me now because I can't play competitively/I'll get bad lag/I can't play on server X/etc. so I guess I'll buy L4D2 instead". People aren't angry because of some idealitic view Activision violated, they're angry because IW and Activision literally fucked the game up and now it really isn't worth it to buy it on the PC. Those people if they own consoles might buy it for that system but they won't be for the PC because they'd rather spend their money on a different AAA title that will be a much better online PC game. Besides didn't you already read how Bowling and the rest of IW took notice of the petition and all the anger really fast and said, "we're going to have to monitor the situation and see how we'll deal with it."

My 100K estimate is nothing? ~$6 million USD is nothing? I'm not sure what planet you live on but Activision would be pretty bummed if they lost out that much revenue.
    SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SlapChop
    @Baillie: How have they stopped pirates? Like they did on the 360? Plenty of downloaded and burned games being played on modded 360s. 

They aren't gonna stop pirates they just make things more difficult for their honest customers that paid for the game. But, there are plenty of other games that will be released to take MW2s place on my HDD.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By mordukai
    @Gditz said:
    "  

PS3 Media Server which also works on the 360.  
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gditz
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell: Didn't know that my blog post would end up in the MW 2 forum. Not my intention to spam those, just wanted to get mind cleared up. Also like someone said earlier, you arent helping by post IN those threads. You are just keeping them alive.

@Baillie: Whats the point in porting a console game directly to the PC when the PC market group have a different taste in games and expect different ways to play them? A gamepad will not convert fully into a mouse and a keayboard, an RTS is never the same on PC and console. 
    And "stopping pirates"? You can't stop them and that my friend is a fact. Even a game like WoW has a lot of pirating going on with private servers. I know the companies want the "magic" solution to end of bootlegging of games but most often they give the real consumer a worse product than the pirate who can get the game DRM-free (Bioshock anyone?). 
    I am not saying they should stop doing it, quite the contrary, they need to step up their game and make solutions that don't end up hurting the real consumer. I know my ramblings will amount to no change of the game and like I already said in my first post, I will most likely buy the game either way but my enjoyment of the multiplayer part might be lowered depending on how great "this" matchmaking system is. There hasn't ever been a good or decent one yet but who knows?

Let it be clear that if a company ignores its consumers, then it is going to go under in the long-run.

@Mordukai:
    You suggested a solution that works on the PC which just furthers my point that the PC is better when it comes to tweaking etc but if you ONLY had a PC or a console then your problem would be a lot harder to solve. With PS3 Media Server you have to keep your PC up and going all the time. I don't know about you but those 200gb on my PS3 could always house those files.

Lets try to keep this debate going shall we?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

" chatting, working, purchasing or perhaps even listening to music. Sure, most if not all of these things can be done on the consoles."   

actually most of those things CAN be done on consoles. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

hmm

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

microsoft should merge the xbox and PC formats so both platforms can use the same disks. This is gonna require a radical shift in all fields but thats where I like to see things go.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By PureRok
    @kitsune_conundrum said:

" microsoft should merge the xbox and PC formats so both platforms can use the same disks. This is gonna require a radical shift in all fields but thats where I like to see things go. "

That won't work. That would most likely require a proprietary disc drive and software, and would require console developers to do extra testing on PCs. This will drive up development costs for games and will more than likely degrade the quality of the games that would be developed. It's never going to happen, unless Microsoft becomes a hardware company.

Even then, they'd just be turning their Xboxs into PCs.
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PureRok: If theres a will, theres a way. Besides, Microsoft is in the business of making standards and they ARE a hardware company as well.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By PureRok
    @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " @PureRok: If theres a will, theres a way. Besides, Microsoft is in the business of making standards and they ARE a hardware company as well. "
    Nope, they're a software company.
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whatever rocks your cradle at night.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Baillie

All right, how about I buy this game for the PC and have fun. :) 

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
    @TwoOneFive said:
    "  " chatting, working, purchasing or perhaps even listening to music. Sure, most if not all of these things can be done on the consoles."    

actually most of those things CAN be done on consoles.  "
    @PureRok said:
    " @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " @PureRok: If theres a will, theres a way. Besides, Microsoft is in the business of making standards and they ARE a hardware company as well. "
    Nope, they're a software company. "
    @kitsune_conundrum said:
    " whatever rocks your cradle at night. "

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Pibo47

Omfg, who gives a shit about this? Honestly. I could care less about this sever stuff.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MetalR
    @Baillie said:
    " All right, how about I buy this game for the PC and have fun. :)  "
    Hello.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Baillie
    @MetalR: Hey.
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gditz

@TwoOneFive: Yes, it can be done on consoles. Thats why I said so in my first post although working on a console is harder. Just compare how many PCs are used in companies with how many consoles that are used in the workplace. Not everyone can work with consoles ;)

@Pibo47:
    I could care less about you but I don't go out of my way to say so and just sprout non-sense. Your question is so absurd as well because "who cares?" is basically why this blog-post was made! To see if anyone else feels the same as I and get a debate going. Thanks for your "contribution"....

As for the whole "Make the PC and 360s discs work with each other" its never going to happen. One of the reasons why consoles are so profitable is because pirating is "harder" than on the PC. On the PC its all a matter of software but on some consoles you need to mod your hardware (or have someone else do it) which keeps a large group from pirating. Like I said in my first post, they keep you in their control, their "world". Not only would getting 360 games to work on the PC be stupid from an economic view due to piracy but also because who would buy a 360 then? A lot of families in this day and age have computers and if you could just pop your 360 games in it play online without paying a subscription then why would you ever buy a 360?

Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot, with a double-barrelled harpoon gun.

Ouch

Anyways, I think this debate is pretty much done but I felt like at least replying to your comments. 

Thank you all for reading/commenting

~Simon 'should-be-studying-for-the-exam' Grunditz

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hannibal

I'm probably going to cut and paste this into every one of these bitching threads, but this is the first, so here we go!

1. Stop using "PC gamer" as a synonym for "Dedicated server enthusiast." As a PC gamer who has extensive experience with both dedicated server systems and matchmaking, I can say that I'd rather have matchmaking, but can see and have felt the benefits of both.
     2. Just because you have found ways to navigate the dedicated server system, does not mean it is an easy system to navigate. The need to find clean, well-run, low-ping, same-skill servers is immediately eliminated with matchmaking, where you are not fucked over on skill, and not at the mercy of the whims of the server and the people that frequent it.
    3. This is not an assault on the glory of humanity. This is a business decision about a single video game. They feel that they can make this game more accessible by having a matchmaking system, they are not insulting you personally. Stop acting like a sin has been committed against you.
    4. The game will still be really fun, even without custom rules and a pub-like setting. Refusing to buy it because you consider the dedicated server system to be a hallowed tradition of PC games is masochistic and reactionary.
    5. "Go back to your consoles" is not an argument, it's the rallying cry to which the PC game community marches to their own deaths.

gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gditz
    @Hannibal said:
    " I'm probably going to cut and paste this into every one of these bitching threads, but this is the first, so here we go!  1. Stop using "PC gamer" as a synonym for "Dedicated server enthusiast." As a PC gamer who has extensive experience with both dedicated server systems and matchmaking, I can say that I'd rather have matchmaking, but can see and have felt the benefits of both.  2. Just because you have found ways to navigate the dedicated server system, does not mean it is an easy system to navigate. The need to find clean, well-run, low-ping, same-skill servers is immediately eliminated with matchmaking, where you are not fucked over on skill, and not at the mercy of the whims of the server and the people that frequent it. 3. This is not an assault on the glory of humanity. This is a business decision about a single video game. They feel that they can make this game more accessible by having a matchmaking system, they are not insulting you personally. Stop acting like a sin has been committed against you. 4. The game will still be really fun, even without custom rules and a pub-like setting. Refusing to buy it because you consider the dedicated server system to be a hallowed tradition of PC games is masochistic and reactionary. 5. "Go back to your consoles" is not an argument, it's the rallying cry to which the PC game community marches to their own deaths. "
    1. The main method of finding games/servers on PCs are by use of a server browser and dedicated servers. This might change along the way but for now the majority of all PC games lack matchmaking.
    2. Neither have I said it is easy to fully understand and use a server browser. The same however can be said for a matchmaking system, it all depends on the experience the user has of both different ways of finding servers. The best would obviously be to have BOTH of them meaning that those who want, can manually search for servers and those who want matchmaking can use that. There doesnt have to be the one or the other.
    3. Again, I think you are enhancing the material. If we thought this was the worst thing to happen since the WW2 then surely we would be on the streets with signs and making a buzz. Most if not all of us realize that what we want or care doesn't matter that much to the big companies. I fully understand why they have chosen to take the matchmaking route but I still feel its wrong. Making money is not a sin.
    4. Not to be rude but how do you KNOW that? I can agree with you that the chances that it WILL be great is big but seeing as it has yet to be released we can't know for sure. Childish statement but not all sequels are as good as the first game.
    5. Indeed, it is not an argument but console gamers saying "Who needs dedicated servers anyway?" when they aren't interested in the PC version is just spammy. Sure, they should be able to have their say but since it doesn't effect them can't they stay out of topics that have little relevance to them?
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Baillie said:
    " @RsistncE: No need to be a dick.  Anyway, all of the guys who have signed the petition, cried over the changes are all going to buy the game and have a great time. I can guarantee it. The people who are that upset and don't buy the game will be left out in the cold. Activision aren't going to care, no one is. You're 100k estimate is a nothing considering the fact everyone and they're dogs will be buying this game. "
    No they won't be, I don't think you get it. This isn't a L4D2 style boycott. This is basically saying "man this game is useless to me now because I can't play competitively/I'll get bad lag/I can't play on server X/etc. so I guess I'll buy L4D2 instead". People aren't angry because of some idealitic view Activision violated, they're angry because IW and Activision literally fucked the game up and now it really isn't worth it to buy it on the PC. Those people if they own consoles might buy it for that system but they won't be for the PC because they'd rather spend their money on a different AAA title that will be a much better online PC game. Besides didn't you already read how Bowling and the rest of IW took notice of the petition and all the anger really fast and said, "we're going to have to monitor the situation and see how we'll deal with it."  My 100K estimate is nothing? ~$6 million USD is nothing? I'm not sure what planet you live on but Activision would be pretty bummed if they lost out that much revenue. "
    That would be less than one percent of revenue this game will probably pull in...IF every person didn't buy the game.  Plus they will be charging for DLC.

They pay people to figure this stuff out.  I doubt a bunch of 16 year olds on the internet know more about this than professionals do.   
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MAN_FLANNEL: like jeff said, they probably looked at some charts and took the road with the lowest opportunity cost in which future dlc or what not would be able to cover the loss due to this change. A business seeks to maximise profits thus every iota of sales is going to be important for them much less $6million (quoted above). It's basically a risk whether or not their expectations will go as planned but hey, wont be long before we know. 

Than again, if its a failure, its not like Activision will admit to it. Think of the investors! Stock prices! rah *shoots laser beams out of eyes and breaths fire*
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RsistncE
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @Baillie said:
    No they won't be, I don't think you get it. This isn't a L4D2 style boycott. This is basically saying "man this game is useless to me now because I can't play competitively/I'll get bad lag/I can't play on server X/etc. so I guess I'll buy L4D2 instead". People aren't angry because of some idealitic view Activision violated, they're angry because IW and Activision literally fucked the game up and now it really isn't worth it to buy it on the PC. Those people if they own consoles might buy it for that system but they won't be for the PC because they'd rather spend their money on a different AAA title that will be a much better online PC game. Besides didn't you already read how Bowling and the rest of IW took notice of the petition and all the anger really fast and said, "we're going to have to monitor the situation and see how we'll deal with it."  My 100K estimate is nothing? ~$6 million USD is nothing? I'm not sure what planet you live on but Activision would be pretty bummed if they lost out that much revenue. "
    That would be less than one percent of revenue this game will probably pull in...IF every person didn't buy the game.  Plus they will be charging for DLC.  They pay people to figure this stuff out.  I doubt a bunch of 16 year olds on the internet know more about this than professionals do.    "
    I'm doing my B.Comm right now and worked the past summer for a Co-op work term under a large Vancouver based firm. I like to think I know a little bit when I talk about business. Either way, it will be a significant amount of money they lose, considering that they don't work in percentages because then firms could write off 1% as nothing....which could end up being millions upon millions. Financial reports don't report percentages but rather dollar amounts because that is what investors want to know. Simply put Activision will be hit hard by 100,000+ loss of potential unit sales.
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gditz
    @bitcloud said:
    " Change containers from mkv to vob, you fail. Credibility lost.   Putting out formats that no on uses and being too stupid to convert a picture or music file is not my fault.  More pros then cons by my decision to go PS3 and ditching out on PC. As much as both PS3 and 360 are consoles, don't confuse thee shitty way MS does things with Sony.  PSN will never cost a sub fee, because Sony isn't stupid and they even have an open policy about their online system......like PCs. Sony allows for private dedicated servers, mods, kb/m support in any game. Any 1st party game that needs it also gets full dedicated server support. Your comment about playing with friends on a server that you wanted to play with more. Adding them to your friends list beatss just playing on that server. When did the server matter more then the people? You would add them to Xfire and maybe play other games as well with them.   The audience that went for PCs has been cut into by consoles ever since PC only devs in the past have gone to the console side. "

First off, thanks for being an asshole by assuiming i'm technologically retarded and that I have no experience with PCs or consoles. I am fully aware that you can convert your files to get them to work on consoles but you obviously missed the whole "It's easier to fix on the PC"-point of bringing those up. Let me make a clear example:

You can either convert all your .flac music into .wav files so your windows media player can play them OR you download a player that can handle .flac. Not only does this save you a bunch of time (converting takes time) and you won't lose any quality. I am not saying it is impossible to get videos playable on consoles but it requires more work.

Again, you obvisouly have difficulty reading since I stated "What if?" meaning it was a hypothetical scenario so to clarify for you I don't think PSN will get a subscription fee, the xbox live wont double in price and the wii codes surely wont become 5 times as long. The questions were formed to get the reader thinking and him realize that there is little one could do to stop such things.

When I play games online I usually have a few servers that are my favourites and where most of my friends play. I enjoy this much more than having to manage friends list and making parties to go and play games. All servers have different settings and player limits and what settings you like differ greatly from person to person. Again, this is what I think and feel. You obviously have a different view and thats fine.

Thanks for attempting to contribute to the topic....

~Simon 'Can't-wait-for-the-l4d2-demo' Grunditz
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gditz
    @bitcloud said:  

Like I said already, it's about the people I play with, no matter what game, or how it works. I don't know you can think and feel a certain fact, but I'm not one to judge......wait....sure I am.  Oh, my Nullriver Mediallink can stream my Apple Lossless and RAW, PDF, EPS, TGA, PS formats to my PS3. Tversity can do FLAC.  "

Using software on your PC to stream media to your console of choice is just proving my point that a PC is a lot better when it comes to fixing codec problems. Getting .RAW, .FLAC and the likes to work on a console (without the use of any other hardware) is near impossible. If you have a PC or mod it then sure you can get around it, then there are hundreds of solutions.

When it comes to playing on servers and with friends, I find it's hard to pinpoint what it is I like about servers but I guess they resemble pubs in real life. You and your friends go there from time to time and you meet other people who you might not know as closlely and you get to meet new people. Now I also enjoy playing other games with friends and I love Valve for their Steam service which has both of those features. Just becuase you have servers doesn't mean you can't have a friends list as well.

And sometimes you pick up a game that none of your friends have and you either hope you meet someone in match-made servers or you find a favourite server and start to befriend the people on it. Just two different ways of doing it, both are valid ways.

Finally, I never said that my views on online gaming and friends system were facts. They were merely my opinions and should obviously be treated with criticism.

Simon 'Thermodynamics-is-going-to-kill-me-if-maths-doesn't' Grunditz
    gditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By gditz
    @bitcloud:
    Well I dont know about you but my experiences with PS3 and .mkv's havent been good and from what I know this hasn't been updated in the PS3 firmware. I might be wrong, as it has been a while since I tried it and got a "Unsupported Data" message.

Never said you need anything powerful to stream, I am fully aware that the quality of hardware you get for 200$ is quite low if you buy a PC but very high if you buy a console. But my point is that even if you get better hardware when buying a console you don't have the freedom to do as much with it as you can a PC. Thanks to the the freedom a PC offers, you can stream stuff directly to your consoles. Can you do this the other way around?

Of course you wouldn't want to but that is besides the point. Could you code your own programs or find custom skins or wallpapers for your console? What I'm getting at is that companies want to limit the freedom the user has which is understandable but most people prefer freedom. 

Freedom however, is exploited and piracy is something that needs to be taken care of on both consoles and PCs.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By mikemcn
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    "Do we really need more topics about this? "

We only have half as many as we need

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.