So the EMP stops Throwing Knives..?

#1 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

So apparently i have just read that the EMP stops the Throwing Knife dead in its tracks in Modern Warfare 2.  I mean fancy AC-130's and Chopper Gunners may go down easily with the EMP, but the Throwing Knife?!

"Interestingly enough, an EMP will stop a Throwing Knife dead in its tracks, which doesn't make much sense since EMPs only affect electronic devices."

Source
One of the points under Trivia
 
Upon further investigation i found there is a thread in the COD4 forum about this. Here if you are interested.

 Is this true and can anyone confirm? I have yet to try it. And how the hell is this possible?
 
Very strange if you ask me.
#2 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

That seems absolutely wrong, we all know a Throwing Knife can stop an EMP, if you disable his hand he cant press that button!

#3 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

The only thing i can think of, is the fact that the knife is made of metal. And so are the Air-support. Well, sort of. But what about the guns? Would they not cease to fire also?

#4 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
What? Your trying to find logical scientific sense regarding Modern Warfare 2? The same game that had a nuclear missile detonate in space, without any nuclear fallout but powerful enough to knock out the power on the entire east coast. 
 
Why are you playing this game, and thinking at the same time? Bad CornontheCobbe! BAD! :P
#5 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@vidiot: Sorry Master vidiot, CornontheCobbe go sit in the corner now master vidiot, please don't hit me again Master vidiot !!
#6 Posted by Jeff (3400 posts) -

ELECTRONIC KNIVES

Staff
#7 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe said:
" @vidiot: Sorry Master vidiot, CornontheCobbe go sit in the corner now master vidiot, please don't hit me again Master vidiot !! "
YOU SEE! I KNEW IT! VIDIOT REALLY IS MY TEACHER!
#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

ELECTRO....... *Scrolls up* Damn it, Jeff said it already.

#9 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@Jeff said:

" ELECTRONIC KNIVES "


 http://www.irawoods.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-55996-SwissMemory-USB-Drive-Blue
 
Thanks Jeff. I just wasted minutes of my time looking up "Electronic Knives" on google. It's a Knife with a USB flash drive on it. So when you're done stabbing someone, you can go back up your files. 
Thank you, Swiss Army, for creating the nerdiest special forces operative ever.
 
@dbz1995 said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:
" @vidiot: Sorry Master vidiot, CornontheCobbe go sit in the corner now master vidiot, please don't hit me again Master vidiot !! "
YOU SEE! I KNEW IT! VIDIOT REALLY IS MY TEACHER! "
dbz1995, if you don't quiet down you will be joining CornontheCobbe.
#10 Posted by dbz1995 (4789 posts) -
@vidiot said:
" @Jeff said:

" ELECTRONIC KNIVES "


 http://www.irawoods.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife-55996-SwissMemory-USB-Drive-Blue
 
Thanks Jeff. I just wasted minutes of my time looking up "Electronic Knives" on google. It's a Knife with a USB flash drive on it. So when you're done stabbing someone, you can go back up your files. 
Thank you, Swiss Army, for creating the nerdiest special forces operative ever.
 
@dbz1995 said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:
" @vidiot: Sorry Master vidiot, CornontheCobbe go sit in the corner now master vidiot, please don't hit me again Master vidiot !! "
YOU SEE! I KNEW IT! VIDIOT REALLY IS MY TEACHER! "
dbz1995, if you don't quiet down you will be joining CornontheCobbe. "
Oh God no, Mr. Vidler. Also, it's gonna be pretty tough handing in that project on the 27th, do you think you could...
#11 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@dbz1995 said:
@dbz1995 said:
" @CornontheCobbe said:
" @vidiot: Sorry Master vidiot, CornontheCobbe go sit in the corner now master vidiot, please don't hit me again Master vidiot !! "
YOU SEE! I KNEW IT! VIDIOT REALLY IS MY TEACHER! "
dbz1995, if you don't quiet down you will be joining CornontheCobbe. "

Oh God no, Mr. Vidler. Also, it's gonna be pretty tough handing in that project on the 27th, do you think you could... "
If you don't turn it in you fail. 
"Vidler" is not my teacher name, it's my evil super villain name.
#12 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -
@vidiot: who says there was no fallout?  
it was far enough in space for no heat deaths but i hear cancer takes a while to manifest
#13 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@Jeff said:
" ELECTRONIC KNIVES "
AH!  SPOILERS!
#14 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@Pazy said:

" That seems absolutely wrong, we all know a Throwing Knife can stop an EMP, if you disable his hand he cant press that button! "

I love a good reference
 
#15 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@hicks91 said:
" @vidiot: who says there was no fallout?  it was far enough in space for no heat deaths but i hear cancer takes a while to manifest "
That's a long term affect of nuclear fallout. Regarding short term, radiation exposure can be pretty damn deadly. 
But I guess everyone's okay, because it was in space. So while the fallout and radiation of said missile is in question in this game's...*ahem*..." "story" " (*does air quotes)...is stopped because it's in space, the blast is still large enough that the EMP effect is allowed to continue...through space...and knocks out power of the entire east coast. 
 
Granted, I'm not going to stress on this one little questionable part of the plot, due to the fact it's quite small compared to the other phenomenal plot holes that reside in this game. It's actually the least moment of confused disbelief I had while playing. I thought the whole sequence was pretty awesome regardless.
 
Who knows, maybe the sequel will address the logistics of what happened to the East coast afterward.
Or maybe it wont, because the only way it tells it's narrative is via loading screens, and you can't shoot people while talking about nuclear fallout.
#16 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -
@Coombs said:
" @Pazy said:

" That seems absolutely wrong, we all know a Throwing Knife can stop an EMP, if you disable his hand he cant press that button! "

I love a good reference

I wish I had written it properly but it got the point across. Ive totally got to go watch that film again, the training scenes are some of my favourite scenes in a movie and its one of the few blu-rays I own.
#17 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@vidiot said:
"What? Your trying to find logical scientific sense regarding Modern Warfare 2? The same game that had a nuclear missile detonate in space, without any nuclear fallout but powerful enough to knock out the power on the entire east coast. 
 
Why are you playing this game, and thinking at the same time? Bad CornontheCobbe! BAD! :P "

Actually, fallout is created when matter is vaporized by the explosion and turned into radioactive isotopes.  If there is no matter in the explosion (like one in outer space) there would be no fallout.   
 
I bet the stuff with the knives is probably some crazy programming thing that they never caught, cause let's be honest, how many times have you thrown a knife and had an EMP go off before it hit the target? 
#18 Edited by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

Dont you know all the soldiers in modern warfare are androids and the emp fucks up there throwing hand 

#19 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine: Every time I throw a knife, it happens.
#20 Posted by natetodamax (19164 posts) -

It's not a big deal. There's a small chance that, when you throw a knife that would normally kill someone, an EMP goes off at that exact second.

#21 Posted by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

mw2 takes place in the matrix which is why when an EMP hits nothing fucking works.

#22 Posted by hicks91 (757 posts) -

@vidiot There have been several high altitude nuclear detonations since the 50s, and people on the ground went on unharmed for the most part (some dudes had retinal scarring from looking directly at the blast) While infinity ward definitely took artistic licence in terms of the scales of such a detonation, for the most part you're looking for a plot hole that isn't there. I have explained several times why the emp effect comes about, you seem to lack scientific knowledge perhaps you should know the emp effect only comes about because of a high altitude detonation, your wording implies it should be dampened because its further away (wrong if it was closer to the surface any emp effect would be minor)

#23 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

So this means that Modern Warfare 3 will reveal that the entire world is actually the Matrix. Crazy.

#24 Posted by Andorski (5172 posts) -

I usually use my throwing knieves to e-mail clients and to set up meetings.  Also, twitter.

#25 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -
I love how some of these guys are actually trying to find LOGIC in MW2. 
*Ahem* vidiot, hicks91
#26 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

ha, that is quiet stupid thing. how would a throwing knife not work when a EMP goes off.

#27 Posted by DanGuy (278 posts) -

This is false.

#28 Posted by Gabriel (4055 posts) -
@Babble said:
" So this means that Modern Warfare 3 will reveal that the entire world is actually the Matrix. Crazy. "
They need to go all the way batshit insane Metal Gear Solid Style
#29 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -
@DanGuy said:
" This is false. "
It is? Does anyone have proof? I have yet to see a video on YouTube. And have not got the chance to try it out in MP.
#30 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

If I remember correctly, the EMP won't even stop Sentry Guns...I'm tempted to try out this knife theory though.

#31 Posted by DanGuy (278 posts) -
@CornontheCobbe: @CornontheCobbe said:
" @DanGuy said:
" This is false. "
It is? Does anyone have proof? I have yet to see a video on YouTube. And have not got the chance to try it out in MP. "
Today our team got EMP'ed so to test it out I switched to a class with the throwing knife, and it was still usable.
#32 Posted by calidan777 (853 posts) -
@Coombs said:

" @Pazy said:

" That seems absolutely wrong, we all know a Throwing Knife can stop an EMP, if you disable his hand he cant press that button! "

I love a good reference
 
"
Dude that is pure fucking gold, I laughed so hard at that, lol
#33 Posted by Mikemcn (6936 posts) -

Maybe the shockwave knocks the Knife out of the air, I imagine a Thermonuclear device even 50 miles up in the atmosphere would cause some sort of wind that would prevent a knife from landing on target.
#34 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Hahaha, that is so cool. I'd love to see that in action.

#35 Posted by Zereta (1363 posts) -

Cybernetics. You move the knife with cybernetic implants in your brain. EMP blocks that off. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Logic. Science.

#36 Posted by Nemesis (317 posts) -

Man, IW must have fired their QA guys or something. This is why we need a beta, folks.

#37 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

     Infinity Ward Developers Team 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.