The goggles...

#1 Posted by Cramsy (1173 posts) -

No doubt, many of you guys are probably going to o(or already have) have access to some of the Prestige night vision goggles. So far, Ive only tested them out in my closet and I can actually see in the dark! (well, see details on my clothes and read a book in pitch black). 
 I was wondering what everyone else has done to 'break in' their new NVG's and tested what the full capabilities are.  

#2 Edited by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

Sounds awesome, I'm starting to want those really bad. It's frikkin' night googles...

#3 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I wonder if someone can give us a fair comparison between these NVG and military grade ones.

#4 Posted by TrulyAlive (900 posts) -

Every cigarette I've smoked since it's gotten dark this evening, I have smoked in Night Vision. I can say that they are awesome ^_^.

#5 Posted by CitizenKane (10507 posts) -

I'll let you know of my escapades in the morning.  ;)

#6 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I want some, but I dont want that version of the game :(

#7 Posted by Mikemcn (6996 posts) -

Someone needs to drive with them on, actually im sure thats illegal, but it would be interesting.
#8 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I'd like to confirm they're just using infra red LEDs and infrared detection like most modern motion cameras have.  Do you have a Wii, if so, turn it on and see if you see the sensor bar lights.  Alternatively you could see if you can see through Coca Cola.  You should have a remote control at least, press some buttons to see if you see the flash.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

It's only a matter of time until someone tries playing MW2 while wearing them.  I wonder what in-game night-vision looks like through real goggles.

#10 Posted by Milkman (17001 posts) -

Ice-T approves.
#11 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -
@Milkman: Holy shit.  Those look even more ridiculous than Sam Fisher's goggles.
#12 Edited by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@Milkman said:

"

Ice-T approves. "
Lol, those look ridiculously stupid.
#13 Posted by Godlovesugly (276 posts) -

I was expecting a Simpsons reference as in "The goggles...they do nothing"

#14 Posted by Forcen (1833 posts) -

Such a great picture!

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7666 posts) -

Ya know what? If they actually work, and work decently, I might just pick them up. When you're spending $60 on a game, already, you may as well double that and get a functional set of NVG.

Wait... did I just say that? Have I gone insane?

#16 Posted by nick69 (625 posts) -

cool, but it doesn't justify me spending the extra money.

#17 Posted by Nemesis (317 posts) -

I will buy the prestige edition... next year when it down to $40 like the Halo 3 cat helmet edition.

#18 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Cramsy said:
" No doubt, many of you guys are probably going to o(or already have) have access to some of the Prestige night vision goggles. So far, Ive only tested them out in my closet and I can actually see in the dark! (well, see details on my clothes and read a book in pitch black).  I was wondering what everyone else has done to 'break in' their new NVG's and tested what the full capabilities are.   "
Bullshit. I don't think you could even fit in your closet with those things or even a book.
#19 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Lots of people still have a hard time differentiating between night vision and good night vision.  These goggles won't work over large distances for sure.  They basically work like a flashlight that only the goggles (and other infrared sensitive equipment) can see.  The range probably won't even be so large because there's only 7 LEDs (looking at the pic above), a Wii sensor bar has about that many (6?).

#20 Posted by Nicholas (405 posts) -

I already own a pair of $700 NVG. I'm interested nonetheless in seeing how much of a cross between toys and something practical these are.

#21 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
@Nicholas said:
" I already own a pair of $700 NVG. I'm interested nonetheless in seeing how much of a cross between toys and something practical these are. "
are a pair of $700 NVG smaller at least than the MW2 ones?  because they look massive if you've seen them from the side, not very stealthy if you'll constantly bump into things.
#22 Posted by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Nicholas said:
" I already own a pair of $700 NVG. I'm interested nonetheless in seeing how much of a cross between toys and something practical these are. "
are a pair of $700 NVG smaller at least than the MW2 ones?  because they look massive if you've seen them from the side, not very stealthy if you'll constantly bump into things. "

lol, Your trying to be stealthy and you suddenly ram your NVGs into a door. :P
#23 Posted by grainger (330 posts) -
@Mikemcn:
listen if the RAF chinook helicopter pilots can fly with night vision goggles, well god dammit im gunna drive my mother fucking car :P
#24 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -
@Nemesis said:
" I will buy the prestige edition... next year when it down to $40 like the Halo 3 cat helmet edition. "
Given that COD4 is still $40 used at gamestop, I wouldn't count on it.
#25 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@ReaperOfLiving said:

" @DOUBLESHOCK said:

" @Nicholas said:
are a pair of $700 NVG smaller at least than the MW2 ones?  because they look massive if you've seen them from the side, not very stealthy if you'll constantly bump into things. "
 lol, Your trying to be stealthy and you suddenly ram your NVGs into a door. :P "
I don't think that would be a problem at all. It would be the gun, if any.
#26 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Milkman said:
"
Ice-T approves. "
Remove the game, controller, ring, watch, necklace and add a raven vest, m4a1, usmc mich helmet, rhino mouint, balaclava, long shirt and gloves. Perfect.
#27 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

It would be pretty funny if everyone started running around in the dark with NVGs or stalk people with them.

NVGs are totally in style now!

#28 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

Sounds cool, but I'm buying the regular one.

#29 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

It's best used for oral sex in the pitch black setting. It makes eyes look evil, which is a good thing.

#30 Edited by torus (1097 posts) -

These 'nvg's are roughly equivalent to what the Germans were using in the late 1930s (generation 0 night vision), which is basically just an invisible flashlight (rather than real light amplification). Modern nvgs cost about 4000 USD each, and look like this: 

You can get better night vision out of a cheap camcorder than you can out of these MW2 nvgs.
#31 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Well, at least its a NVG. But $4,000 for a NVG? Really? I'm so gullible for believing people can get military grade ones for like $100...

#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@torus said:
" These 'nvg's are roughly equivalent to what the Germans were using in the late 1930s (generation 0 night vision), which is basically just an invisible flashlight (rather than real light amplification). Modern nvgs cost about 4000 USD each, and look like this: You can get better night vision out of a cheap camcorder than you can out of these MW2 nvgs.
Why do people keep ignoring us voices of reason? 
#33 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@Milkman: is that a camera?
#34 Edited by Novyx (479 posts) -

4K is actually pretty cheap for military NVGs. The newer tech runs more in the 8-12k+ range. Less bulky stuff, with better processing.

#35 Posted by torus (1097 posts) -

Herp Derp.
#36 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@torus said:
" These 'nvg's are roughly equivalent to what the Germans were using in the late 1930s (generation 0 night vision), which is basically just an invisible flashlight (rather than real light amplification). Modern nvgs cost about 4000 USD each, and look like this: 

You can get better night vision out of a cheap camcorder than you can out of these MW2 nvgs. "
Finally some sense in here.   

$4000 is actually cheap compared to infra red ones which can get in the five figure number.  

Also...It's a fucking night vision MONOCULAR that has a head piece to it not goggles. 
#37 Posted by Novyx (479 posts) -
@Mordukai:
That's actually about the most popular NVD on market. You might recognize it from Captain Price's head. Top level stuff in the smallest package, and can be handheld, helmet-mounted or attached to a scope, and found for 3k or possibly lower. If, you know, you're in the market.
#38 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

IW sure knows how to market dumb shit to kids I'll give them that.

#39 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

@Nicholas said:

um, could i ask why you invested seven hundo on a pair of night vision goggles? perfectly understandable if you're in the military or you're part of some elite police task force, but if not.....it's a tad weird. or unless you're way into ornithology, and you like owls
#40 Posted by Fugugu36 (21 posts) -

do no-zing!
 <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/juFZh92MUOY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/juFZh92MUOY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#41 Posted by Hamst3r (4516 posts) -
@mrcool11 said:

"  @Nicholas said:

um, could i ask why you invested seven hundo on a pair of night vision goggles? perfectly understandable if you're in the military or you're part of some elite police task force, but if not.....it's a tad weird. or unless you're way into ornithology, and you like owls "
Or perhaps he's into any number of completely normal things to do with night vision goggles, such as: night hunting, or night fishing, or catching crawdads, or sneaking into his neighbor's house and spunking on her face while she's asleep.
#42 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -
@torus: So i should just stick to my camcorder which has nightvision in it as well!? Still i can't put that on my head, and still look badass! I mean look at Ice.... wait, is that Ice T!? I can't tell cause there is a giant plastic thing on his face!
#43 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -
@Godlovesugly said:
" I was expecting a Simpsons reference as in "The goggles...they do nothing" "
Damn, you beat me to it.
#44 Posted by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

They may look stupid but remember, it will be DARK when you are wearing them

#45 Posted by DoctorTran (1565 posts) -

My black Chuck Taylors looked white. It was a fucking trip.

#46 Posted by CitizenKane (10507 posts) -

The goggles are actually awesome.  Depth perception is a bit of an issue when first wearing them, but they are way better than I expected.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.